Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Blotto_Otter posted:

What "thing" are you referring to, because it is not obvious to me what you mean by this

WSJ reports new Switch model in 2018, president denies in 2019, WSJ reports on 2 Switch models in 2019, _ _ _ _.

But if we're talking reasons why it doesn't make sense, a smaller model would make text in games like Breath of the Wild unreadable, compatibility with joy-con games impossible, joy-con sales impossible, seems more expensive

And as for a powerhouse Switch, historically the closest thing we have to this concept was the New 3DS, and it really didn't offer anything other than SNES VC. You can count on two hands the amount of games were exclusive or were affected by the upgrade—was popular, but hardly integral. Don't think it would leave much of an impression to just release a Switch that looks the exact same on the outside but different internals, and they won't ditch the current joy-con to change the form factor or to incapacitate LABO

Need pictures or evidence to consider this a possibility

Spellman fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spellman posted:

WSJ reports new Switch model in 2018, president denies in 2019, WSJ reports on 2 Switch models in 2019, _ _ _ _.

Nintendo denies in 2020. WSJ reports 4 new Switch models in 2020, _ _ _

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Nikkei reports on 3DS “XL” rumors June 2012; Nintendo denies Nikkei rumors June 2012; Nintendo announces 3DS XL June 2012; Nintendo ships July 2012

Nintendo has an actual record of denying rumors even when a product announcement is imminent, because they should deny such rumors even if they’re true - it’s very bad business to announce a direct replacement or alternative for a well-selling product until you have that replacement ready to ship. The 3DS XL and the New 3DS both went from announced to shipping in less than two months.

Personally I think there’s something to the rumors, because there are multiple reputable outlets reporting them, and because both proposed models seem like the kind of thing Nintendo’s done in the past with considerable success. Nintendo’s had a handheld offering at a (relatively) affordable price ever since the Game Boy came out, and with 3DS sales finally plummeting, it makes sense that they want something new and kid-friendly at a lower price point.

As for the hypothetical premium model, all of your criticisms of the New 3DS are fair... but while you’re discussing those criticisms from the point of view of a 3DS owner, someone in a Nintendo boardroom is frantically stabbing their finger at a chart showing how many tens of millions of units every variant of the DS and 3DS sold.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nintendo denies in 2020. WSJ reports 4 new Switch models in 2020, _ _ _

Dinosaurs eat man, woman inherits the earth

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blotto_Otter posted:

As for the hypothetical premium model, all of your criticisms of the New 3DS are fair... but while you’re discussing those criticisms from the point of view of a 3DS owner, someone in a Nintendo boardroom is frantically stabbing their finger at a chart showing how many tens of millions of units every variant of the DS and 3DS sold.

At half the price of the basic Switch model.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I kept forgetting to post. But today was the 8th anniversary of the release of the 3DS. I love my dead gay handheld.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Switch chat is hereby banned from this hallowed thread

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Has anyone had this problem? My 3DS freezes when I tap or put pressure on the back panel near the card slot. It happens with and without a game in the slot and I have to do a hard reset when it happens. Anyone familiar with this problem or know what to do about it? Trying to see if I can do something before I send it in to Nintendo and spend to get it fixed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

40-Degree Day posted:

Has anyone had this problem? My 3DS freezes when I tap or put pressure on the back panel near the card slot. It happens with and without a game in the slot and I have to do a hard reset when it happens. Anyone familiar with this problem or know what to do about it? Trying to see if I can do something before I send it in to Nintendo and spend to get it fixed.

Haven’t had that issue but it sounds like a weird bespoke hardware problem (like “solder coming loose enough that the pressure is causing something to disconnect”) so unless you’re real comfortable with disassembling stuff that’s probably gonna be a send-in and they’ll replace the system board/entire system kind of thing

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Slightly off topic but there really isn't a general Nintendo thread so:

I have lost my DS Lite charger. Are any of the third party options not absolute garbage/will brick my system or should I continue my hunt for a licensed charger?

Not too big of a deal since I have two GBA SPs and a DSi and a few 3DSes but I really like the form factor of the DS Lite.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Most 3rd party charging options are gonna be fine as long as it’s not like $2 or something. I have a USB to 3DS/DS/SP(!!) charger that I got from gamestop, Best Buy sells one sans SP attachment on their online store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

notthegoatseguy posted:

I have lost my DS Lite charger. Are any of the third party options not absolute garbage/will brick my system or should I continue my hunt for a licensed charger?

Not too big of a deal since I have two GBA SPs and a DSi and a few 3DSes but I really like the form factor of the DS Lite.

Your DS Lite is compatible with the 3DS charger. All of the DS's are.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your DS Lite is compatible with the 3DS charger. All of the DS's are.

It's not, actually. The DSi has the same charger port as the 3DS, and the GBA SP has the same charger as the DS Phat, but the DS Lite's charger is unique to itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZarquonHigardi posted:

It's not, actually. The DSi has the same charger port as the 3DS, and the GBA SP has the same charger as the DS Phat, but the DS Lite's charger is unique to itself.

Huh, my bad. I was told otherwise by a quick google.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

:confused:

I can tell you my USA DS Lite is not compatible with my USA 3DS charger, nor vice versa. The 3DS charging port is taller and thinner than the Lite's, which means neither charger fits in the other's port on the consoles. IIRC, the chargers for the DS and the Light are the same, too. Maybe it's the DSi that's compatible? I never owned one of those.

E: :ninja:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A brief history of nonstandard and mutually-incompatible nintendo charging ports, until they finally got with the times and went USB-C.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

A brief history of nonstandard and mutually-incompatible nintendo charging ports, until they finally got with the times and went USB-C.
Also, the GBA SP and their dumbass decision to make the headphone jack nonstandard, just as an additional gently caress you.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Also, the GBA SP and their dumbass decision to make the headphone jack nonstandard, just as an additional gently caress you.
Turns out that one was Nintendo foreseeing the future

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The GBA SP did not have a headphone jack. The GBA Micro, however, does.

????

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Oh don't worry. The USB-C spec doesn't confirm to the agreed standard.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

notthegoatseguy posted:

Connect an USB charging cable to a Google, Apple or slumming it Ikea branded charger to be on the safe side. Any of the eBay charging cables will work at least for some times, though they're not exactly reliable.

Technically speaking any USB charger that sticks to the spec will do. Don't trust Samsungs or anything with "fast charging" though.

Any unnamed / generic poo poo tends to not be great thanks to considering the spec entirely optional.

EDIT: If you're real careful you can even charge it up using a MiniUSB cable because it's not the same but close enough.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 31, 2019

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Heath posted:

The GBA SP did not have a headphone jack. The GBA Micro, however, does.

????

They very quickly realized their mistake and corrected it for future models, apparently

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The GBA did have a headphone jack adapter cable, so Nintendo was ahead of the trends once again

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
If you get real desperate for an offical DS Lite charger you can always watch the cord section of your local thrift store. They pop up fairly frequently, at least in my area, for a few bucks.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

There's something pleasant about the DS lite, it's like pinnacle Nintendo hardware design. Closes nicely with no gaps, glossy on the outside, matte on the inside, it's small, the battery lasted forever

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I think the DSi XL is the nicest design wise plus the screens are amazing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/TrumpRPGFan/status/1115603100276891649

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

A brief history of nonstandard and mutually-incompatible nintendo charging ports,
So the frontlit GBA SP and phat DS have compatible chargers and ports, but the actual GBA SP charger is bulkier than the DS charger.

The phat DS and DS Lite have identical charger housings save for a slightly different color, but the DS Lite uses a different port and marginally higher charging current.

The backlit GBA SP straight up ships with a NTR-002 (DS) charger.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
what are the "must-have" 3DS games?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Kid Icarus Uprising

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

So many to count.

Bravely Default & Second
Any of the Fire Emblem games- Awakening is a particular favorite but they're all pretty good.
Dragon Quest VII/VIII
Zelda- Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask 3D, and A Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D Land
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Fantasy Life
Etrian Odyssey games- Not sure which is the best, but I know Untold 2 was not well received.
Ever Oasis
Kirby Planet Robobot
Luigi's Mansion and Dark Moon
Metroid Samus Returns
Shin Megami Tensei IV & SMTIV Apocalyse
Theathrhthm Final Fantasy Curtain Call

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's also

Rhythm Heaven
WarioWare
Mario Golf
Picross
Pokemon
Ace Attorneys/Laytons
The Zero Escape trilogy but I guess it's available on other platforms at this point
Horse Solitaire

Mario Kart 7 is probably still worth playing even though 8 is better in every way

The Sega 3D classics are pretty cool (Gunstar Heroes/Outrun are probably the two best ones)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah, I forgot about digital titles.

Pushmo and Crashmo
Pocket Card Jockey

There's a lot more but I'm having a brainfart as I don't have access to my 3DS at the moment.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Gripweed posted:

If you like rhythm games and perhaps Hatsune Miku, Project Mirai DX is very good and has so much content.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Super Mario 3d Land and Zelda Link Between Worlds. Maybe Fire Emblem Awakening.

Ocarina of Time is available on other systems, but the 3ds version is the best one.

Those are the closest to must have status on the system. It's a system with a ton of great games and even more if you add DS titles. But in terms of must haves...shrug.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Kid Icarus Uprising

Can someone explain this game? How does it play? I've heard the controls are wonky.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
You use the touchscreen to move your cursor around and aim and you can move mostly freely by using the left stick and L button. It's meant to be played with an included stand. It's pretty good, if very weird to actually play.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heath posted:

You use the touchscreen to move your cursor around and aim and you can move mostly freely by using the left stick and L button. It's meant to be played with an included stand. It's pretty good, if very weird to actually play.
That sounds pretty rough for lefties; is there a left-handed control scheme?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's been a minute since I've played it and I'm not left handed but I think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Can someone explain this game? How does it play? I've heard the controls are wonky.
KIU really plays like no other game before or since, is half the reason people have problems with the controls. The other reason is that because the original 3DS only had a stick on the left side, a game like Kid Icarus that makes heavy use of both the analog stick and the touchscreen didn't work quite as well for left handed people as right handed ones. It came with a little flip up easel to hold the 3DS that made it a little bit of a punchline, I never really used it though.

Its like half Panzer Dragoon style shooter and half "character action" type game, but the mechanics of both sides of it are ridiculously deep and rewarding in their own ways. Its a game that people ITT have put 12 hours into just beating the story, or 200+ hours into loving with all the incredibly intricately designed weapon upgrading and skill point systems and challenge boards, and both groups walk away satisfied because its ultimately a game that meets you at whatever level that you approach it at.