Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

There have been larger sales of WMR in the past, so who knows if this means anything. My cousin got an Acer one for $150 new back in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kazy posted:

There have been larger sales of WMR in the past, so who knows if this means anything. My cousin got an Acer one for $150 new back in December.

If Oculus and Valve actually commit to heavy marketing of their new PC headsets, nevermind whatever Oculus absolutely will have planned for the Quest leading up to and at around its launch, WMR headsets in their current iterations may as well not exist for the next few months until the marketing campaigns die down.

Hadlock posted:

Probably trying to burn up inventory ahead of two new halo headsets + one well marketed midrange headset. I've never not regretted buying silver tier stuff on fire sale because their sales department does way more opposition research than a bunch of sweaty nerds on a forum and they know what's coming around the corner.

They'll probably be on fire sale come black friday/cyber monday. I can see WMR being one of those $99 door busters this year.

Agreed on both counts. I thought the Odyssey+ was weird/noteworthy because usually the hot new iteration usually gets spared from these kinds of deep discounts on an entire product line when they occur only a few months after release. Outside of it being a colossal trash fire of a product, of course.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Apr 10, 2019

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Shine posted:

Reminder that driving sims in VR are loving amazing. I hopped back on Dirt Rally after getting an analog handbrake, and goddamn this game is so loving good. Can't wait until they add VR support to the sequel.
Is there a realistic driving sim where I could teach someone how to use a manual transmission?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there a realistic driving sim where I could teach someone how to use a manual transmission?

City Car Driving, but it's a janky russian game and probably runs like poo poo in VR. Alternatively, euro truck?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ShadowHawk posted:

I can't really imagine this being useful to a learning driver. Changing gears is a mostly tactile experience - without the pedals and gear handle and the variable resistance they provide I can't imagine it'd be much of a facsimile of actually changing gears.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

It seems like VR streaming is one of the few situations where it might be worth the immense trouble to arrange a two-PC streaming setup.

these days you'll be able to just buy a 32 core amd box and not do that anyway tho

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As someone who learned how to drive manual after doing it in video games, you can't learn properly even when a wheel, shifter and pedals. You have to feel the clutch bite and the revs drop.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowHawk posted:

live for speed works great for me. it's f2p for the basic cars which is all you need if you just want that.

Cojawfee posted:

As someone who learned how to drive manual after doing it in video games, you can't learn properly even when a wheel, shifter and pedals. You have to feel the clutch bite and the revs drop.
not really? i played a lot of LFS while doing my car license and i feel like it helped a bit. obviously it's not 1:1 because there's no force feedback on the clutch, but literally nothing is, every time you change to a new car you need to get the feel for the new clutch anyway so eh.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Agreed. You can understand the mechanics of it but to really get it you gotta stall out a half dozen times in embarrassing fashion

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Truga posted:

not really? i played a lot of LFS while doing my car license and i feel like it helped a bit. obviously it's not 1:1 because there's no force feedback on the clutch, but literally nothing is, every time you change to a new car you need to get the feel for the new clutch anyway so eh.

You can learn how to move the stick around and push the pedals in, but that's the easy part. You can learn how to do that simply by imagining it. The hard part is engaging the clutch without stalling. Nothing will prepare you for that besides getting in a real car and doing it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
But you have to do that in a car sim too?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Truga posted:

But you have to do that in a car sim too?
What actually is available in the state of the art car sims these days? Do pedals have force feedback based on the state of the simulated car engine? Is there a clutch pedal at all?

Is there something we could give a beginner driver to actually help them learn? I'm thinking less "racing game" and more "how flight sims are actually useful to aspiring pilots"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Very high end pedals simulate clutch bite point, but I'm guessing thats not what we're dealing with here.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowHawk posted:

What actually is available in the state of the art car sims these days? Do pedals have force feedback based on the state of the simulated car engine? Is there a clutch pedal at all?

Is there something we could give a beginner driver to actually help them learn? I'm thinking less "racing game" and more "how flight sims are actually useful to aspiring pilots"

Truga posted:

obviously it's not 1:1 because there's no force feedback on the clutch, but literally nothing is, every time you change to a new car you need to get the feel for the new clutch anyway so eh.
if anything, i'd argue it's harder doing it in a game precisely due to the lack of force feedback on the clutch. i haven't stalled a car irl in years, i still do sometimes in lfs when i'm trying to drive out of the pitstop garage since you can't just floor it there.

as for your second question, there's not anything like that I think. the lfs game i mentioned has a parking lot track you can litter with cones and fences to make a polygon, or download a premade one, but there's nobody there to yell at you if you forget to turn on a blinker when turning or somesuch, so you'd still need a live instructor.

also, a 3 pedal + shifter wheel actually costs money. i'm still using a logitech g25 i bought gently caress knows when and it's great but it was by far the cheapest too iirc and it cost like 300 bux with all included.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Very high end pedals simulate clutch bite point, but I'm guessing thats not what we're dealing with here.
do any games actually support that poo poo though? i'm sure actual professional simulators do, but there's no cheap proper car sims like with flight sims i think...

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
So Vacation Simulator is out now, anyone tried it? Is it any good? According to Steam reviews it seems a bit mediocre, not as good as Job Simulator

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

if anything, i'd argue it's harder doing it in a game precisely due to the lack of force feedback on the clutch. i haven't stalled a car irl in years, i still do sometimes in lfs when i'm trying to drive out of the pitstop garage since you can't just floor it there.
It's harder to do right in a game, but the thing is that most games don't care if you get it right. Rarely is there a real reason to not just throw it a few more revs and peel away from every stop. That exact scenario you describe is probably one of the few where it actually matters.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BMan posted:

City Car Driving, Alternatively, euro truck?

Honestly if they are new to driving you should absolutely have them spend an hour doing euro truck

So many people just cut in front of a semi truck and expect them to be able to not crush them from behind if they have to stop suddenly

I've not driven a semi myself but I've hauled a couple of 10 ton loads and it's obvious many people just think everything handles like a Honda Civic because that's all they've ever driven

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Truga posted:

do any games actually support that poo poo though? i'm sure actual professional simulators do, but there's no cheap proper car sims like with flight sims i think...

Most of the pedals that have adjustable bite points come with software to make it work with the major sims.

Pro sims are basically the consumer grade sims with extra bells and whistles that race teams need, the physics simulation is the same between both. No need to maintain two physics engines and also backhandedly say “the consumer version isn’t as accurate”

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I wonder how long the controllers will last, come to think of it. The Touch controllers last weeks while the WMR controllers run out really fast, so I wonder where these will fall.

This is because WMR controller LEDs are always on, whereas Touch controller LEDs are synchronized with the camera exposures and are only on for a fraction of a second. It really adds up over time.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
https://www.t3.com/amp/news/ps5-set-for-wireless-psvr-headset-with-powerful-next-gen-graphics

Sony filed some VR patents earlier this month. PSVR2 might have eye tracking.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Everyone seems to have an eye tracking patent at this point.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Patents mean less than nothing. If you want to have a really bad time check out the Index reddit (I could just stop this sentence here) where it's nothing but threads of people misreading patents to overhype themselves for that thing.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I thought this was kind of neat to see, a list of the games confirmed so far that have cross buy with the PC and Quest:

https://uploadvr.com/rift-quest-cross-buy-games/

Theres the things you would expect and probably come free with it like robo recall, or dead and buried, but it was interesting to see how many of the sort of non pack in bigger games are there. It seems like they're really encouraging the ability to cross buy which is fantastic if that becomes the standard.

The list of confirmed so far:

Robo Recall
Dead and Buried 1 (and 2)
Dance Central VR
Apex Construct
Face your Fears 2
I Expect you to Die
Journey of the Gods
Moss
Orbus VR
Shadow Point
Sports Scramble
The Climb
Ultrawings

Apparently the Beat Saber devs haven't decided yet to allow cross buy or not which... I guess I can understand since its such a big seller.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Patents mean less than nothing. If you want to have a really bad time check out the Index reddit (I could just stop this sentence here) where it's nothing but threads of people misreading patents to overhype themselves for that thing.

Patents are entirely the truth and definitely means they will be manufactured, which is why we have had flying cars since 1959
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/8c/37/f6/9e1a4754573f88/US3090581.pdf

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Tom Guycot posted:

I thought this was kind of neat to see, a list of the games confirmed so far that have cross buy with the PC and Quest:

https://uploadvr.com/rift-quest-cross-buy-games/

Theres the things you would expect and probably come free with it like robo recall, or dead and buried, but it was interesting to see how many of the sort of non pack in bigger games are there. It seems like they're really encouraging the ability to cross buy which is fantastic if that becomes the standard.

The list of confirmed so far:

Robo Recall
Dead and Buried 1 (and 2)
Dance Central VR
Apex Construct
Face your Fears 2
I Expect you to Die
Journey of the Gods
Moss
Orbus VR
Shadow Point
Sports Scramble
The Climb
Ultrawings

Apparently the Beat Saber devs haven't decided yet to allow cross buy or not which... I guess I can understand since its such a big seller.

This list initially listed Beat Saber without actually checking with anyone, and everything we've seen about Sports Scramble (including its own site) indicates that it's a Quest exclusive. The rest seems to check out, but I'm not inclined to consider this particularly definitive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

It's not really going to make that big a cut into their sales considering most of the people buying the thing won't be people who already own VR headsets.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

jaete posted:

So Vacation Simulator is out now, anyone tried it? Is it any good? According to Steam reviews it seems a bit mediocre, not as good as Job Simulator

I would like to hear about this too. I tried Job Simulator late into my VR ownership and I refunded it within an hour. It was bog-standard "grab this thing, put it in the obvious spot" and I didn't even think it was particularly funny. I mean, beyond the general "robots not understanding humans" they barely even had any jokes, they just put a few "funny" labels on the VR props and kinda leaned on the novelty of it. I was hoping Vacation Simulator would punch it up a little now that they had the general engine and design worked out.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Job simulator is the first thing I had my friends play when they first tried VR because it's great at introducing the "use your hands for stuff" game play, but it's not a game that anyone who has spent more than 15 minutes with VR should ever play. I can't imagine Vacation Simulator would be any different.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

8one6 posted:

Job simulator is the first thing I had my friends play when they first tried VR because it's great at introducing the "use your hands for stuff" game play, but it's not a game that anyone who has spent more than 15 minutes with VR should ever play. I can't imagine Vacation Simulator would be any different.

My 13 year old daughter thinks job simulator is the best. Every time I see her playing VR it’s that and I don’t get it because I actually have good games and that’s what she chooses.

Actually she does play one other game, and that’s Blade & Sorcery which she is disturbingly good at.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

GutBomb posted:

My 13 year old daughter thinks job simulator is the best. Every time I see her playing VR it’s that and I don’t get it because I actually have good games and that’s what she chooses.

Actually she does play one other game, and that’s Blade & Sorcery which she is disturbingly good at.

She has two paths she can take here, really, and only one leads to boring mundanity

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blade Runner posted:

She has two paths she can take here, really, and only one leads to boring mundanity

They could combine and lead to middle-management.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like job sim is probably great if you have never used VR before. If you have, it has to coast on its humor, because you’re used to all of the things you can do in a standing simulator already.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

I've hard It has a 10 foot charging cable you can use while playing if 4 hours isn't enough for you.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Job simulator is crack for kids because it gives them a shot at something they can’t do yet, work at a job that has no consequences.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yeah its really not a surprise, just remember how many children's toys are based around what adults do. Cooking sets, power tools, toy cell phones and construction equipment... kids love to play grown up in safe fun ways.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

GutBomb posted:

My daughter is the same way, my son like all VR games including Job/vacation simulator. I picked up vacation purely for them since they like job simulator, I played it for about 15 minutes to check it out and its pretty similar to job simulator if that is your thing.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

l still like Job Simulator. It does a good job giving you a sense or presence. The interactions are well thought out. And going HAM on a cubicle is cathartic.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 11, 2019

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just going to leave this here.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/feelreal/feelreal/description

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you can SMELL the beats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan