Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's almost all the storyteller choice, just play Randy Random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

Are there no mods that remove "the vision" and just let you keep playing without the obscene ramp-up if you don't leave on Tynan's schedule?
Marv's Combat Readiness Check lets you gently caress around with raid scaling which I'm pretty sure is what you're complaining about. If you don't want to get ultradunked by Lord Humunglitter after making a cool statue then install that and mess with the options. You can also turn off infestations if you like when starting a scenario. Also play with Randy.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I believe there is a hard coded difficulty increase over time, but it's pretty insignificant relative to colony wealth and story teller choice.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Are there no mods that remove "the vision" and just let you keep playing without the obscene ramp-up if you don't leave on Tynan's schedule?

Just play on Randy. He doesn't have a scaling function like Cass and Phoebe have, so he just throws poo poo at you based on your wealth score.

Complications posted:

Marv's Combat Readiness Check lets you gently caress around with raid scaling which I'm pretty sure is what you're complaining about. If you don't want to get ultradunked by Lord Humunglitter after making a cool statue then install that and mess with the options. You can also turn off infestations if you like when starting a scenario. Also play with Randy.

I didn't have much luck with this, though I also didn't get that fiddly with it. If anything, it made the game feel worse because I was getting absolutely pathetic outlander and pirate raids because of how it calculates wealth by default.

The answer is always play Randy.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Warmachine posted:

Just play on Randy. He doesn't have a scaling function like Cass and Phoebe have, so he just throws poo poo at you based on your wealth score.
super dumb nitpick but he does have a time scaling factor but it's like 10% of his decisions. which is fair imo because the wealth computation cannot take your tech progression and pawn skills into account, and that is insanely relevant to your capabilities. 500 wealth on day 1 is some hastily thrown together bullshit buildings, 500 wealth on day 100 will be well planned buildings, turrets, and traps just because you actually can build those things the correct way now.

it's insanely dumb to frame this in a *~tynan's vision~* way when he makes infinite hangouts a matter of one option that can be changed at any time during the game. the biggest thing you can gig him on is not making the choice more obvious.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I didn't have much luck with this, though I also didn't get that fiddly with it. If anything, it made the game feel worse because I was getting absolutely pathetic outlander and pirate raids because of how it calculates wealth by default.

The answer is always play Randy.
Yeah, you've got to get into the mod options and play with how the raid wealth scales and to do that effectively you have to know how Rimworld's mechanics manage that or have the patience to save a lategame colony and start experimenting with dev mode to get the raids to scale right. By its default settings it's a lot easier, but the options the mod has are pretty powerful for all that it's 'just' a few numbers.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I like how its a bug that the android animals you can make are able to breed, it allows you to slowly harvest components and plasteel while ranching robotic muffalo.

Also what was the other animal bionic mod other than ADS? The one that didnt need a bunch of mod patches to work.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Apr 8, 2019

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
What are you saying that a muffalo with a bionic leg has a calf also with a bionic leg?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Pharnakes posted:

What are you saying that a muffalo with a bionic leg has a calf also with a bionic leg?

The tiered android mod has what are basically omnivorous, robotic muffalo which exist to be haulers, they haul something like 175kg.

If you make two of them and you get a breeding pair they can mate and breed, with the offspring being born full size. You can than slaughter the extras to get a decent amount of plasteel and components.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Pharnakes posted:

I believe there is a hard coded difficulty increase over time, but it's pretty insignificant relative to colony wealth and story teller choice.

Not sure but that's felt more like a room to breathe mechanic rather than anything else in my own playthroughs. Takes an age to get a game running and set up (or an iceage if you're modhappy like most are) so as funny as randy just killing your guys in the first hour by dropping glitterworld medicine on them would be, its hobbled for a little bit.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

The tiered android mod has what are basically omnivorous, robotic muffalo which exist to be haulers, they haul something like 175kg.

If you make two of them and you get a breeding pair they can mate and breed, with the offspring being born full size. You can than slaughter the extras to get a decent amount of plasteel and components.

Grey Goofalo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Grey Goofalo.

If I tend to ignore it the 2 turns into ten and then by that time they get in the way of turrets and bullets during raids and such. At that point they just run around competing with each other to hoover up corpses and grass.

Also I found out in my last game that if you have a big enough animal pasture size and enough animals you will get cyclical migrations as they move from one end to another.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I have to confess to you guys that I still laugh out loud sometimes when I remember "No Man's Bi"

It's just so... :perfect:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Talking about the ending, I've reached the early late game about 5 times now and kinda give up because I hear about another game changing mod or think up another challenge.

The most interesting part is definitely - can you start in a desperate situation and stabilise?

I think there may be more incentive to finish if you had to complete different quests or challenges to get ship parts rather than just mine resources, research things, and then survive some more raids. Like if you had to get a part from a full raider base or had to activate some devices on a bunch of specific world map tiles at the same time.

Yeah this is kind of what I'm looking at with mods now - I keep restarting to add more mods but it gets stale because pretty much every mod is just another industry, another way to get armor or weapons, another way to get food, etc. They provide me with goals to work toward but they're all mostly the same. There are some that are complex and different like Genetic Rim and Rimatomics but none of them particularly change the way you interact with the game.

Right now I'm giving up on my earlier thoughts because I realized Real Ruins does them already with the right settings and I'm thinking about things more like mini text adventure RPGs that have skill checks for your colonists, the ability to modify the planetscape or turn continents into nuclear hellholes, etc (I like the idea of a mod that adds actual gameplay meat to the world map screen instead of just using it to move between zone maps). Another idea that's way more complex than I want to dive into is something like a 4x diplomacy system where different factions/bases grow, make demands, wage war, etc. Instead of dealing with the logistics of sending your pawns into war, wars could be fought with a bunch of generic "soldier' pawns with stats/gear based on what you can produce at home on neutral maps. Hell if you want to get really ambitious (I don't) add in a stealth system, overhaul raids so that they're carried out by opposing factions based on diplomatic whims and have events like an assassin creeping around your base without giving you a letter notification or a group of commandos sneaking past your traps and sandbags and attacking you inside your base without just dropping in like a ton of steel rocks.

It would also be cool, and probably pretty easy to do so I'll look into it, to give every pawn a personal ambition - something crazy like I want to replace every part of myself with advanced bionics, or I want to take on a t-rex in 1-on-1 melee combat and win, or hell I don't know why but I need 18 beta-poly horseshoe poles in my bedroom, don't ask why. It would add a handful of endgame objectives to any base that would scale with time and population. I just need to find a way to make the reward something better than "more/better stuff/pawns" because there are 10,000 other mods delivering the same reward.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 9, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Maybe dissect the more faction relations mod to see how they handle wars? Also the mod that allows bandits to progressively set up outposts which slowly grow into full bases and send out more raids?

A start that might be easy is a settlement esque mod where excess pawns could be set off to form and work in settlements. The settlements start off as a resource drain that gradually become self sufficent and eventually send you back resources.

I am way too much of an ideas guy.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 9, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I have to confess to you guys that I still laugh out loud sometimes when I remember "No Man's Bi"

It's just so... :perfect:

Seen

Felt

Heard

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, check More Faction Interaction mod.

But, it would be pretty sweet if the world map had weather and other events that you could see, and with increasing technology, see more of. You could see the storm coming or cold snap or whatever.

In fact, it would be awesome if when something like a toxic fallout happened you've not only got more than just your hex covered, but adjacent hexes, all coming from one spot (like an actual smoke plume) and you could even try to go to the fallout origin hex and put out the fire. That could even become another faction interaction quest, saving a nearby settlement from the chemsmoke.

Tribal societies see a 2 hex radius from settlement, modern 4, early space 6, and glitter... something like 20?

You could then add +1 for small hills up to +3 for mountainous since you can look out over the nearby land. Or heck, with elevation rises next to the settlement, they get a negative to the world weather view distance since from your small hills you can't see past the mountain range.

...and then weather control systems to help you and hinder your neighbors?

I wonder if this is too simplistic of an idea for more "alive" faction bases, but each base could have an associated number of goods: food, raw materials, crafted items, animals, and people - basically, its wealth. A combination of temperature, biome, faction type, and even base type determines which of these numbers are highest. The higher all those things combined, the more things they have to trade. Then, other faction raids, weather events, etc., can impact the numbers of all these, and if they fall below a certain number, spawn new events (aid requests, additional raids [desperate raids?]), etc.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, check More Faction Interaction mod.

But, it would be pretty sweet if the world map had weather and other events that you could see, and with increasing technology, see more of. You could see the storm coming or cold snap or whatever.

In fact, it would be awesome if when something like a toxic fallout happened you've not only got more than just your hex covered, but adjacent hexes, all coming from one spot (like an actual smoke plume) and you could even try to go to the fallout origin hex and put out the fire. That could even become another faction interaction quest, saving a nearby settlement from the chemsmoke.

Tribal societies see a 2 hex radius from settlement, modern 4, early space 6, and glitter... something like 20?

You could then add +1 for small hills up to +3 for mountainous since you can look out over the nearby land. Or heck, with elevation rises next to the settlement, they get a negative to the world weather view distance since from your small hills you can't see past the mountain range.

...and then weather control systems to help you and hinder your neighbors?

I wonder if this is too simplistic of an idea for more "alive" faction bases, but each base could have an associated number of goods: food, raw materials, crafted items, animals, and people - basically, its wealth. A combination of temperature, biome, faction type, and even base type determines which of these numbers are highest. The higher all those things combined, the more things they have to trade. Then, other faction raids, weather events, etc., can impact the numbers of all these, and if they fall below a certain number, spawn new events (aid requests, additional raids [desperate raids?]), etc.

I mean, Rimatomics already has a dummy version of this. It's not an ideal implementation, but the early warning system changes raid events to "raid in X days" events. This gets a little awkward when a lone refugee is being chased by raiders and... those raiders are 8 days out? But it's a pretty good prototype of this idea that just needs some more polish in a dedicated development.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The visual radius thing just seems interesting to me rather than a device that puts "x days to incoming" (although the latter would be far easier to implement) as that could encourage small outposts the player runs on adjacent/nearby mountains as watch posts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Someone wanna post their non-mountain home with reasonable defenses?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I do find it very silly that toxic fallout and volcanic winter is tile-only but I don't know how that could be fixed.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Alpha animals has the stalking snow lion event which you should be able to tear apart and see how you can modify for commando or assasion raids as well.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

jokes posted:

Someone wanna post their non-mountain home with reasonable defenses?

Big ol box with an opening on side to channel raiders, a double or triple thick wall will keep most people heading to that one location. Then either kill box it if you are boring, or set up pill boxes, embrasure firing lines and such if you like fun and slugging it out. The key for that is making sure that your cover has more health and block chance then their cover, so save super hard materials for your firing line cover.

Add in some mortars, 3-4 should give you enough shots per salvo to let you make a dent and break any sieges.

Use rivers and mud to your advantage. Make them have to cross them under fire.

Have interior placed turrets to deal with any drop ins. One or two basic steel turrets can distracr drop pod raid members long enough for you to react.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Also don't close off your wall with doors, have a main gate area that's open but chokepointy as all hell. If you close it off fully they'll just go through the wall.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How does the game calculate what to attack? Can I make a giant technically-outside hell corridor with a poo poo ton of gold at the end and have raiders run through Takeshi's Castle but with spikes and guns instead of foam rocks?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
I forget how it works, but I think they technically aim for a bed and then try to get to that bed?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Danaru posted:

How does the game calculate what to attack? Can I make a giant technically-outside hell corridor with a poo poo ton of gold at the end and have raiders run through Takeshi's Castle but with spikes and guns instead of foam rocks?

Im like 99% sure its pathing based. They head to your pawns/heavy concentration of buildings based on shortest route possibly. Some raids like the sappers discount walls as barriers or at least assign them lesser movement point total or whatever and will have them path through them.

They wont go after gold Im pretty sure. They only care about items when they retreat, and even then its only one of the possible retreat things.

^its a bed or maybe a power source, I have had a raid split in half as some went to my base and some went south to.deal with the waterwheels I had set up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:negative: some day my dream of Hell MXC will see fruition.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Also don't close off your wall with doors, have a main gate area that's open but chokepointy as all hell. If you close it off fully they'll just go through the wall.

Addendum: Have airlocked doors, but set them to hold open, and close them if you get a manhunter pack. You REALLY don't want to have to deal with 15 angry Elephants in your base.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I have had door set ups like that gently caress up enemy and trader pathing but who knows.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the way i suggest doing it is to simply have two doors right next to each other, the outer one to be made of stone and held open, the inner one to be made of wood and kept closed. in extremely hostile environments i have also gone as far as a third behind the wood one, also to be made of stone and also to be held open and closed in emergencies.

doors that are held open are pathed like normal by friend and foe alike, but the stone doors provide a fireproof and high-hp way to close the proverbial vault. the wooden door is just there to make sure that a manhunter pack can't get in before someone gets to the entrance to close it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My defenses consist of a beaded curtain with an ugly rear end wall surrounding the farmland and the village.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Rimworld is very much like df where if you know how everything works and how to set up defences it can get pretty boring.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Playing the game without setting up meta-analyzed defenses is pretty fun, as well as upping the difficulty for raids, etc. It's kind of interesting NEEDING to set up hyper-optimized defenses but at the end of the day it's just funner forgetting about optimal defense strategies and relying on non-standard defenses like the urban warfare layout to use doors as cover and the like.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

There is a happy medium between "some sandbags in the corn field" and "labyrinth killbox." I'd usually have a walled city style colony, with 4-8 castles on the walls for access and defense. There'd be a bit of cover just outside, then inside there's basically a firing range, and then some stuff on the colony side of the wall. Only thing I used turrets for was to bait enemies.

My last mountain base had two bunkers dug into the mountain, with Door-Wall-Wall-Door cover positions. Those were actually super fun to build and use.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

jokes posted:

Playing the game without setting up meta-analyzed defenses is pretty fun, as well as upping the difficulty for raids, etc. It's kind of interesting NEEDING to set up hyper-optimized defenses but at the end of the day it's just funner forgetting about optimal defense strategies and relying on non-standard defenses like the urban warfare layout to use doors as cover and the like.

Yeah, also faction mods change things up. The satchel charges and plasma suicide bombers that some mods add will punch a hole in your defense if you let them. Other mods add more bionics to raiders at higher raid levels since sometimes they can still come in smaller numbers.

The federation mod also has tank like enemies whos entire job is to gently caress up fixed defenses and walls. The projecticles they fire are slow enough that you could walk and avoid them but they doo stupid amounts of damage and will one shot turrets and other defenses.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I think i've asked this before but it was months ago and i'm just going back to rimworld: How performance killing is using bigger map sizes? I think I settled on one size above default. Just wondered if I could be going for bigger or whether the game really starts grinding.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think i've asked this before but it was months ago and i'm just going back to rimworld: How performance killing is using bigger map sizes? I think I settled on one size above default. Just wondered if I could be going for bigger or whether the game really starts grinding.

I just started using larger maps on my laptop and its either the same speed or slightly slower.

Just keep in mind that distances are not going to be what you are used to so dont be suprised if people bleed out or whatever on the way to base. Raids may also be finicky?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Tame something fast to ride on big maps, or even on small maps. The Meadow Aves from Alpha Animals (I think) are my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The larger maps really just require more RAM, and most goons in this thread know enough to have a ton of RAM on their machines so the bigger map sizes are really not much of a problem.

Much more salient is the CPU requirements, which scale linearly with the number of pawns active.