Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Tesseraction posted:

he's not stupid but he's repetitive and soulless

The perfect columnist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

The perfect columnist.

when's his first article for bellingcat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Captain Fargle posted:

Thanks for the replies folks. The trees I'm growing in my own yard are saplings from a garden centre, the question relates to the apple cores I toss when I'm out walking. I like going for long walks late at night when everything is quiet out and I've taken to bringing apples along with me as a snack.
Thinking back to applechat, if you get an apple with a nice stem and maybe a leaf on it then you could have a go at micropropagation.

That uses the stem cells (like cells from the actual stem) to create an exact clone of the mother tree rather than germinating the seed.

It's not the easiest thing compared to grafting, but it's doable with basic science supplies and will give you either proper apple trees or dead plantlets, no gambling on waiting for a sterile or lovely tree to fruit.

The book Plants From Test Tubes has some practical use examples, but I can't remember if that includes apple trees.

Tesseraction posted:

UKIP won by-elections when their MP crossed the floor. Given the absolute state of the Tories right now it might be a safer option.
Cut to street interview when Carswell switched to UKIP and called a byelection.

"I'm voting UKIP because our current MP is useless."

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh is anyone surprised that peter hitchens is a massive technophobd

hitchens isn't stupid imo just very very British Christian
His current kick is that knife crime is increasing because of the skunk cannabis.

Surprised he went for that angle and not blaming the unbiblical practice of ironmongery.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BBCJLandale/status/1116272479906029568

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1116273559234596864?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did someone tell them that 'the warrant' was the name of a black drill rapper?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Confirmed: https://twitter.com/metpoliceuk/status/1116273279583576065

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well rip assange he's getting sent to a us blacksite

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He won't get sent to a black site he'll probably get the cell next to Manafort so they can reminisce about the time they rigged an election.

No the other time.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Don't underestimate how upset stupid people get about their bins in this country, though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've got this ocarina on my desk. I really should learn to play it.

After all, there's nothing but time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

From the gestures some of that crowd is giving, I'm assuming the "better place" would be Nazi Germany.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

crispix posted:

Don't underestimate how upset stupid people get about their bins in this country, though.

I'm loving angry about bins. That the Tories have hosed up. I'm angry at the tories about bins. I'm in one of the 'once a month' areas and yes there's rubbish being dumped everywhere now because of course there is.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mr.Tophat posted:

Nah, it aint frowned upon. You have to stay within forms. That particular fight was against the sword instructor so I was trying my best to improve on my duel from two years ago with him during the first tournament between Torquay and Plymouth. Flashy means style points. Flashy communicates to your opponent so it can be rendered safe. I generally am not so flashy, that was kinda the exception to the rule. I change forms a lot so.

Edit: Disarming people is fun

I know it's from a few pages back but this thread can move fast. So is it more focused on looking stylish and flashy rather than actually hitting people?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/barnabynerberka/status/1116275982518898688

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm loving angry about bins. That the Tories have hosed up. I'm angry at the tories about bins. I'm in one of the 'once a month' areas and yes there's rubbish being dumped everywhere now because of course there is.

Once a month is insane. When they switched from weekly to every 2 weeks here (Germany), my municipality had to get rid of all public wastebins because people would dump their household garbage there at night, private bins were being locked with chains etc :smith:

Also the smells during summertime, before the pickup.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 11, 2019

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Perfect ad placement.

Definitely time to crack open the champagne to celebrate the trump supporting rapist being arrested.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Looks like Christmas is cancelled then.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

sauer kraut posted:

Once a month is insane. When they switched from weekly to every 2 weeks here (Germany), my municipality had to get rid of all public wastebins because people would dump their household garbage there at night and I saw bin locked with chains :smith:

For some reason successive governments have really hated North Wales and wanted it destroyed. They've mostly won at this point. I was going to describe it as the mid-west of the UK but I guess it's more like detroit really.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so whats he being charged with?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Jose posted:

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1116274014006104064

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Bail skipping

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol had I read the tweet I posted more carefully I would have seen. Really interested what happens to him now

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

Sweden dropped all charges after he spent longer in a lovely room than he would have done in a cell, so there's just the UK skipping bail charge and the US secret crimes charges.

They might do him for impersonating Uncle Albert too.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Jose posted:

Breach of his bail conditions, that he'd negotiated himself and agreed to.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

In Newport we have 1 bin for plastics and metals, 1 for paper, 1 for cardboard, 1 for glass, 1 for food waste, 1 for garden waste and 1 for general waste, the garden waste and general waste are collected on alternate weeks. They're trying to fine people if they put the wrong thing in the wrong bin, it's like a little game.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Of course the tories and the detritus that support them are obsessed with bins. They are all garbage!!!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lmao

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

KittenofDoom posted:

Assange is in jail!

Thoughts and prayers for the cat.

emptyquoting.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Assange is definitely getting whisked off the US and tortured for the rest of his life.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Regarde Aduck posted:

For some reason successive governments have really hated North Wales and wanted it destroyed. They've mostly won at this point. I was going to describe it as the mid-west of the UK but I guess it's more like detroit really.
Can't be the Midwest, Midwest has lovely mountains.

North Wales is like the West Montana of the UK. Right down to the coastal Tories buying second homes there and voting to keep loving things up.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Assange is definitely getting whisked off the US and tortured for the rest of his life.

And a large portion of this thread will be applauding it for some grotesque reason.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1116273484349562880

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

I spent many a holiday in Rhyl and Towyn as a kid, I was last there about ten years ago and holy poo poo what a stark concrete contrast from what I remember. Can't imagine what it's like now.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

TheRat posted:

And a large portion of this thread will be applauding it for some grotesque reason.
I hate the guy with a passion but my ideal outcome is he gets a proportionate slap on the wrist for bail jumping & then goes free.

He & his fans will feel like right tits & I will feel vindicated.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I said it before and I'll say it again - JSR has the best soundtrack for Sega games.

Sneakman is excellent, but as we got the Toronto remix before, we probably need a Westminster remix now, to fit with the not changing times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Borrovan posted:

I hate the guy with a passion but my ideal outcome is he gets a proportionate slap on the wrist for bail jumping & then goes free.

He & his fans will feel like right tits & I will feel vindicated.

I mean I was kinda figuring that this is what he'd get. I highly doubt he'd get gitmo'd and I wouldn't want him to.

Mind you I would also like all the people currently in Gitmo free

Watch It Burn
Apr 8, 2009

Bundy posted:

I spent many a holiday in Rhyl and Towyn as a kid, I was last there about ten years ago and holy poo poo what a stark concrete contrast from what I remember. Can't imagine what it's like now.

I'm sat in the McDonalds there right now and it's not as bad as you might imagine. Or it could I'm just used to it and it's actually awful.

Also first post here, hello UK goons. Been lurking here ages and like so many before me it's been a great help in teaching me correct thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/polit...mpaign=sharebar

quote:

Independent Group MPs have refused to face by-elections because they claim it would "crush the birth of democracy".

Ex-Tory MP Heidi Allen gave the eye-popping excuse today - bluntly admitting "we are not ready" - as she became the 11th MP to quit their party and join the new campaign.

Since seven ex-Labour MPs formed the group on Monday, they've faced furious calls to stand aside and let voters re-select them in a by-election.

But members of the new group have repeatedly rebuffed calls to test their mandate without party backing behind them.

They claim their values haven't changed and they were clear about their opposition to elements of their parties in 2017.

Yet today Ms Allen - who has a thumping 15,952 majority - said there's another reason too.

She told a press conference in Westminster: "This is what the big parties do. They want to crush the birth of democracy.

"They want to crush people like us trying to change things for this country. And this is the game of course that they will play.

"But we’re better than that and we think our constituents in the country deserve better than that."

She added: "The last thing the country needs right now is a general election or any kind of by-election.

"We haven’t changed.

"What we stood on, our values, our own leaflets, our own campaigning when we stood in 2017, none of that has changed."

Later, she told a briefing in Parliament: "If we are breaking the system and trying to create something new that is the first thing the big parties are going to do to try and crush us.

"Because they know we are not ready for a general election or for by-elections, and we have to really resist that.

"Because we're not going to break this mould of broken politics that has got us in this mess over Brexit unless we are prepared and we do it properly."

It came as Theresa May was hit with a bombshell Tory split as three of her most high-profile anti-Brexit MPs quit the party.

Heidi Allen, Sarah Wollaston and Anna Soubry dramatically crossed the floor of the House of Commons today and sat on the opposition benches as they joined the Independent Group.

lol

Democracy is where you don't let people vote because you know they don't like you.