Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The paralyzing amount of choices involved in an AxeFX or Kemper, on its own, keep me away.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hell my THR5 feels overwhelming at times, and it doesn't even have a 3-band eq.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Sorry of this is not the appropriate thread, I didnt know where else to post this as I could not find a woodwind or any wind instrument thread, but I have picked up a saxophone for the first time and I noticed something with the mouthpiece, and I dont know whether it is faulty or not. The tip of the mouthpiece has this weird asymetrical curvature on the inside, and I am already having a hard time with my embouchure that I would rather not learn faulty embouchure on a defective mouthpiece.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Siivola posted:

Hell my THR5 feels overwhelming at times, and it doesn't even have a 3-band eq.
It's insane the amount of options it gives you and how well it translates to making a drat decent demo with nothing getting in the way just with the computer program.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Doc, stop! You have like 4 rad amps, one of which (if memory doesn't fail me concerning your posts) was modded by your pops. Also you just got an expensive Ibanez. Your wallet will not survive. :ohdear:
Credit (and blame) where it is due:
I modded the Blues Jr. and that went very well, until I was trying to record it to post "after modding" clips here and I overheated it and killed the power transformer. Dad diagnosed that and I drop-shipped him the upgraded Hayboer replacement and he was kind enough to install it for me. That little amp is very cool and I'm enjoying it a lot. Also recall we (me, my dad, and two of my guitarist buddies) got together and did a whole tube shootout to see what tubes the amp liked most and the results were very surprising.

My other amps are the Blackstar HT-5H head which I run in stereo with a Peavey Classic 20 mini-head. That's one awesome little rig but I have no idea how it might fare in a room with a drummer (as if that matters any more). In a closet here I also have my Peavey Classic 50 4x10" combo and a Peavey Blues Classic, which is the same amp but with 1x15" speaker. I love those amps but I haven't plugged one in in years so I wouldn't be surprised if they are in questionable shape (pots, switches, and especially capacitors... those amps are from the mid 90s so they are getting up there in years.) And of course there is the Yamaha TH-10 and I have a PODHD that is really cool but I never mess with it anymore. I should use it though because I have the pedalboard with an expression pedal that goes with it. :effort:

And yeah I am currently paying off the new JEM (I've only had it since the first week of Feb. and it's already over 1/2 paid for) and the new RG so yeah, I am extended enough. It is nice having these new instruments in the house, though. I'm still waiting on parts (more push/pull pots) to finish the new RG.

I just think the Vox Night Train is a badass little mofo and I want one. Or two.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nah, we cool Doc. :respek:

Contemplating that one piece of gear you might want to get is always fun. Hell, right now I'm contemplating about buying more guitars. Plural, not singular. I'm literally the stupid music poo poo-poster incarnate.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Wark Say posted:

I'm literally the stupid music poo poo-poster incarnate.

we all are

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

we all are
So say we all.
-- Steve Vai

djs
Oct 21, 2010

Medieval Medic posted:

Sorry of this is not the appropriate thread, I didnt know where else to post this as I could not find a woodwind or any wind instrument thread, but I have picked up a saxophone for the first time and I noticed something with the mouthpiece, and I dont know whether it is faulty or not. The tip of the mouthpiece has this weird asymetrical curvature on the inside, and I am already having a hard time with my embouchure that I would rather not learn faulty embouchure on a defective mouthpiece.

As a long time lurker who took up sax last year and wondered about similar things - this looks pretty bad. That bit is called the tip rail and really wants to be consistent all the way across. I'd guess it'll be super sensitive to how you position the reed and probably squeak a lot?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
This should arrive at my house in the next few days, probably mid-to-end of next week.

I'll post some pictures when I get my hands on it. Very excited.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's rad as gently caress!

Is that the one that Nolly from Periphery uses? :dance:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Sorry for the non-sequitur but I want that Vox Night-train so very very much. Add it to the pile... Do you like it? Please be as verbose as possible!

Always happy to chat about gear, and I'd usually supply clips but the tubes are ailing and it sounds dark and muddy right now. Usually it's super bright and cutting. If you want a soundclip the closest I have is this:
https://soundcloud.com/indigo-monsoon/tabs
It's recorded with a cheap PG57 mic and the Night Train head and cab.

Same deal for this song although it shows off the cleans a lot better.
https://soundcloud.com/syntaxfunction/forgetful-demo/s-Nvb8h

So anyway, I'll talk about when it's in the prime. It's got a lovely clean channel that is almost exactly like an AC. Not quite though. But it's beautiful and chimey, and sounds absolutely lovely. It can get super bright but that's what the tone cut is for. I would argue Vox cleans (and this is, no arguments, a Vox clean) rival any including Fender. What it doesn't do is get raucous like an AC. When you wind up the gain it's oddly well behaved while getting grittier. It doesn't sound like a wound up AC crunch, it's got it's own thing going on, so if you're chasing that just get an AC.

The thick channel is... particular. With the right guitar (and pedals if used) it can be a wonderful bluesy crunch. It can get muddy and bleh though, and because it's achieved by bypassing the EQ of the Bright/Clean channel it either sounds great or not. I guess you could fix it with an EQ but I think you either like it, or you don't.

The gain channel is meaty and thick while retaining cut. I love using it for rhythm while using my Hiwatt or a Marshall model (now Ashton!) for lead. Or just use it for lead with a Tubeyscreamy thing. It is not a thrash metal amp at any rate. Doom and sludge though? Hell yeah. Rock? Easy. But it's not tight or chuggy enough (even with the tight switch on) to do thrash or extreme metal.

All in all it's a fantastic amp. It was my first real amp (my only other amp at that stage was a Vox Pathfinder) but it's been dang near 6-7 years (on the original tubes too :O Hence the need for retubing) so I'd say the honeymoon has worn off vastly. Still one of my favourite amps of all time. The 50 has that wonderful lead channel as does the G2 15H.

I hope that answers some questions you had. Feel free to ask specific ones if you want more info.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Wark Say posted:

That's rad as gently caress!

Is that the one that Nolly from Periphery uses? :dance:

It's just a normal Combustion, not the Nolly signature, main differences are the pickup placement and preamp. I'm already running into an Alpha-Omega so I figured the Darkglass Tone Capsule was nice but maybe not necessary (however much I did want it, drat). It's going to be a long week or so waiting!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jcam posted:

It's just a normal Combustion, not the Nolly signature, main differences are the pickup placement and preamp. I'm already running into an Alpha-Omega so I figured the Darkglass Tone Capsule was nice but maybe not necessary (however much I did want it, drat). It's going to be a long week or so waiting!
It's a beautiful mo'fo of a bass! Can't wait to hear it. :dance:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, sorry for double-posting, but I am too tired to write something to make proper honor to my homeboy Doc and other goons in this here thread, but the Stupid Music poo poo hunt for chunky chugging continues.

Ibanez RG8 Lefty.

For the last year or so, I felt like I needed a backup for my Ormsby Hype, but the hunt for a guitar of that caliber (it's honestly one of the best drat guitars that I've ever played in all my life, along with my Larrivée RS-2 and the Korean PRS I got a year and a half ago) in the used market has proven loving impossible unless I'm willing to dole out like 2k-3k and I sincerely don't feel like doing that just yet. Was planning on spending like 600 on a new Agile, but saw this one for 350 and decided to take the plunge.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Multiscale basses and guitars oh my!

Jcam posted:

That Combustion looks sick, a multiscale bass has been on my wishlist forever! Are you doing lower tunings with it, or just going that way for comfort purposes?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Slothful Bong posted:

That Combustion looks sick, a multiscale bass has been on my wishlist forever! Are you doing lower tunings with it, or just going that way for comfort purposes?

A little bit of both really, I'm not going to go low enough to need to make adjustments to the nut or anything for different strings but I am going to try out some different stuff. Really excited to have a five-string again honestly, and stoked to have a B-string with great clarity and tension.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:yeah:

One of the advantages of extended range or multi-scale guitars and basses is that it doesn't make your hand feel so lovely thanks to the guitars compensating for string tension due to the additional strings/multi-scale. Want to play those Amon Amarth riffs (I think that outside of like 4 or 5 songs or something, they play everything in B)? A 7-string with a 54 or 58 gauge will do just fine. Want to do Drop-E to play Stef's parts in the last two Deftones records / play Animals as Leaders instrumentals? A 10-68 or a 10-72 will work just fine to keep that Dropped E string nice and chunky. And if you have a Digitech Drop?

The world is your chugging oyster!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Also, sorry for double-posting, but I am too tired to write something to make proper honor to my homeboy Doc and other goons in this here thread, but the Stupid Music poo poo hunt for chunky chugging continues.

Ibanez RG8 Lefty.

Dude that is like, let me think... almost two guitars worth of strings. On ONE. That's crazy!

I hope it doesn't let you down. I have met some sad Ibanezes out there. Come back with your verdict when you can. I like the simple look, too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
33.3% more guitar in one body! :krad:

My experience is that, with almost any "econo" guitar, you're going to need to do around 20-to-30 bucks worth of adjustments done right out of the gate, but once you do it, most of the time they play almost as good as any Korean/Japan-made instruments. I hope that at least the quality of life for those dudes and ladies in those factories has improved, as well. :ohdear:

Guitars with slightly more sensible price tags that play increasingly better is something that doesn't get enough love in places outside these forums.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

^^^ I just picked up my 50s CV tele from the shop and I'd hold up it's playability about equal or better to my LP.

I thought the factory setup was fine, but I had a bit of buzz here and there that I was attributing to my play. By after a few months, I decided to use the shop's free setup with all new guitars, and what a job the tech did. This guitar is so so so good. I like its tone and neck more than my 2 other electrics and it makes me want to sell one.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, as manufacturing techniques and equipment become more globalized, the quality of guitars made anywhere in the world is only going to continue climbing upwards. Guitars from places like Indonesia are pretty drat good these days. Even China is catching up.

I just hope the market demand for guitars doesn't go as fast in the opposite direction.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, I have no particular knowledge about industrial manufacturing or anything, but it's been interesting to watch the national hierarchy shuffle around the globe. When I first started playing, Korean guitars were dodgy at best and Indonesian/Chinese guitars were unheard of. Now two of my best-playing guitars are Indonesian and everybody raves about Chinese CVs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wow, so it's been a while, because AFAIK, most Korean-made guitars started getting good at around mid-to-late 90's?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
All I know is that my Mexican Fenders absolutely outclass my American Gibson.
Related: anybody wanna buy a used lefty Gibson V? ;)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I bought a Mexican Telecaster about a year and a half ago and I totally adore the thing. The setup, even as a guitar from Guitar Center, was basically perfect, and even the pickups sound great. It plays as well as any American tele I've had experience with too.

I even posted about it in this thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2212134&userid=119518#post474487229

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 12, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
*quote is not edit*

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, the mexican Charvel guitars are also pretty good, even if they're decidedly not cheap.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Got here way faster than I thought!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That is fuckin rad, man.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Medieval Medic posted:

Okay, I played sax for about ten years a lifetime ago, and I pulled my old mouthpieces out of storage to have a look, so I'll do my best to answer...

Uneven mouthpieces will happen from manufacturing defects and whatnot; some digging online has some people saying that gives character to the sound, but I'll go with the answer of "probably not intentional" or "trying to sell one".

(Note I also had the worst playing habits/posture but managed to audition my way into college ensembles while being the only non-music major, so maybe this is bad/atypical advice)

Will it affect your embouchure? Well, yes but I sincerely doubt it's gonna ruin you for life. Sooner or later if you keep playing you're going to get a new mouthpiece, likely a non-beginner one with a larger opening, and will have to adjust your embouchure anyway. Switching will make bad habits more prominent at first, but that gives you a chance to fix them. I wouldn't fall in love with that mouthpiece, but it's not a deal-breaker when you're just starting out, and a non-beginner mouthpiece at this stage is expensive and harder to get to sound right. Embouchure was something I didn't even start to think about for years after I started playing, or at least a consistent sound came pretty easy with a little practice. Don't let that ruin your outlook to playing or convince yourself you're ruined for it, I say.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I need to stop watching so much Youtube.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Because you're sick of rad pedals?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

One can get sick of rad pedals.

However, thanks to youtube rig rundowns and junk, I saw that King Buzzo played the bass version of this, so I decided to give it a whirl with my 7 and 8 strings and it whips real hard. So... thanks youtube?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Because I'm sure there are better ways to spend money than random effects when I haven't been playing the guitar for even a year. :v:

Sometime soon-ish I'll need a looper, though, so I might as well throw in some kind of nice fuzz in the order...

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, the pedal life. :allears:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

However, thanks to youtube rig rundowns and junk, I saw that King Buzzo played the bass version of this, so I decided to give it a whirl with my 7 and 8 strings and it whips real hard. So... thanks youtube?

his setup is scientifically optimized to piss off snobs and purists it's hilarious

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

SD-1 > TS

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Jcam posted:

Got here way faster than I thought!

Nice! The clarity of those long scale Dingwalls is amazing. Did you order that through a dealer?

I've been thinking about trying some different pickups in my Super PJ5 for a while now. I was recently inspired by one poster on Talkbass, who got Nordstrand to make a custom NP4 inside a Dingwall shell. I want to have the option of returning the bass to the stock configuration, so getting a custom set to fit the existing routs seemed like a great idea. The folks at Nordstrand were very helpful, and I ended up ordering a NP5 + Big Split:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Went a little crazy today in moving my DAW workflow to 64-bit - been using ancient sets of plugins that were all 32bit only and I think I've been hitting issues with Live9 as a result, so said gently caress it because I saw the Waves sale that's ongoing. Picked up the Ren pack and the Dave Audé EMP Toolbox (fuckin amazing price for the L3's alone) plus the Codex and H-Reverb.
No more iLok is a goddamn miracle too, was anticipating needing some lovely dongle upgrade but I guess not!

Then decided I wanted to go full-bore with the latest Komplete since I'm on version 4 of it currently, lol.