Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just posted something about Dissidia Final Fantasy NT's roster in the other thread, but in the process I actually just realized that series has done something that I don't see many other fighting games do.

One of its heavy characters is a woman. Usually the female characters are the light and quick types, to the point where I can only think of one counter-example to that in conventional fighting games (Mortal Kombat's Sheeva), so the fact that Dissidia's basic roster has one--and has since the first game, at that--is remarkable and really pleasing. I can play a woman and also hit like a loving train, it's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Cleretic posted:

I just posted something about Dissidia Final Fantasy NT's roster in the other thread, but in the process I actually just realized that series has done something that I don't see many other fighting games do.

One of its heavy characters is a woman. Usually the female characters are the light and quick types, to the point where I can only think of one counter-example to that in conventional fighting games (Mortal Kombat's Sheeva), so the fact that Dissidia's basic roster has one--and has since the first game, at that--is remarkable and really pleasing. I can play a woman and also hit like a loving train, it's great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHgdoDfXGAY

One of my favorite examples of this. Fighter's History has a reputation as a Street Fighter clone, so the first time I played this game I took one look at this character and went "oh, it's girl Ryu." :rolleyes:

Uh, no, not exactly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me of Street Fighter. You have a bunch of characters who basically play similarly -- Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Sakura are all "shotos" (short for Shotokan karate), which basically means that they have a fireball, a dragon punch anti-air, and a spinkick for their specials. Then you have Makoto, who is actually a Shotokan karateka, or at least as close as you can reasonably get in a setting like Street Fighter. She has a classic Shotokan stance, a bunch of moves that are recognizably the fundamental techniques that every trainee learns, and a really heavily strike-based fighting style (Shotokan doesn't go in much for grappling and is a "hard" fighting style). The only supernatural things about her are her vertical jump height and how her strikes send her opponents flying.

And her moves look like they hurt. If Zangief punches you, yeah, you'd be in bad shape, because he's a giant meat wall and his hand intersected your head. Makoto's punches have her entire body behind them. And speaking of hurting, her special involves punching her opponent in the crotch a bunch of times, followed by an uppercut. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been replaying Xenoblade Chronicles X but using a guide to make sure I don't miss stuff (because I need all the levels I can get due to certain difficulty spikes and buying Skell parts is a huge waste if they get broken due to how expensive they are to replace) and I still really like most of the game's writing, like when the first piece of the lifehold is destroyed and they lose a third of the library of congress - only for the commander to be all "Eh, it's digital mate, we'll restore from backup...It's fine" It's an amusing bit of realism. also L and the Ma-Non own, along with the other alien races. The main plot is disjointed and dull but the subplots are wonderful.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That reminds me of Street Fighter. You have a bunch of characters who basically play similarly -- Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Sakura are all "shotos" (short for Shotokan karate), which basically means that they have a fireball, a dragon punch anti-air, and a spinkick for their specials. Then you have Makoto, who is actually a Shotokan karateka, or at least as close as you can reasonably get in a setting like Street Fighter. She has a classic Shotokan stance, a bunch of moves that are recognizably the fundamental techniques that every trainee learns, and a really heavily strike-based fighting style (Shotokan doesn't go in much for grappling and is a "hard" fighting style). The only supernatural things about her are her vertical jump height and how her strikes send her opponents flying.

And her moves look like they hurt. If Zangief punches you, yeah, you'd be in bad shape, because he's a giant meat wall and his hand intersected your head. Makoto's punches have her entire body behind them. And speaking of hurting, her special involves punching her opponent in the crotch a bunch of times, followed by an uppercut. :v:

I think Makoto's my fave sprite in SF3 for precisely this reason:

I love the way her opponents crumple when she hits them with certain moves rather than bounce away.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I've been playing Mutant Year Zero and really enjoying the heck out of it. Maybe I don't read enough post-apocalyptic fiction but it's been very novel to me to have a society of survivors long past judgement day that is aware of the before times and the people who lived then but feels no reverence for them at all. Sometimes it's due to a misunderstanding of pre-apocalyptic society, but the Stalkers are constantly like "Gee, the Ancients just kinda let global warming happen then nuked themselves, huh? What morons!" and it's never not entertaining to me. It feels very Black Isle Fallout to me, back before Bethesda spent all their time giving sloppy blowjobs to revolutionary era Americans every chance they got.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Riatsala posted:

I've been playing Mutant Year Zero and really enjoying the heck out of it. Maybe I don't read enough post-apocalyptic fiction but it's been very novel to me to have a society of survivors long past judgement day that is aware of the before times and the people who lived then but feels no reverence for them at all. Sometimes it's due to a misunderstanding of pre-apocalyptic society, but the Stalkers are constantly like "Gee, the Ancients just kinda let global warming happen then nuked themselves, huh? What morons!" and it's never not entertaining to me. It feels very Black Isle Fallout to me, back before Bethesda spent all their time giving sloppy blowjobs to revolutionary era Americans every chance they got.

there's been a nice rash of games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Splatoon set in a post-post-apocalyptic universe recently and I like it whenever it shows up

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

flatluigi posted:

there's been a nice rash of games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Splatoon set in a post-post-apocalyptic universe recently and I like it whenever it shows up

I like how Splatoon does this while keeping it kid-friendly. The fans, however...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just finished Iconoclasts, and I was blown away by how much each the creator put into specific animations. It seems like whenever the creator wanted character to have a slightly different mood, or injury, or wants them to punch a wall a certain way, he made a new sprite.

One boss that stuck out to me was Mendeleev. She’s just some goober, a flame-powered inquisitor-in-training who jobs to you during a short sequence where you control another character, and she has a ton of flamboyant poses and animations and unique boss music that is significantly more rockin’ than the game’s second-most rocking track.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Riatsala posted:

That's why Adventure Time, for me, went from great to amazing.
They slowly pepper it in and then... oh, The Mushroom War.
...poo poo.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm getting through The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna, and fitting with the current discussion, it's funny seeing the residents trying to understand how humans lived, like one writing fanfiction about Jefferson Goldboom in HumanWorld and his motorcycle he keeps in his pocket, or someone else writing essays on human culture, such as the many different schools of poetry like Communism and Pastoralism. "Excuse me, waiter, but there appears to be a shield in my soup."

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This is reminding me of Knytt Underground, which is, naturally, set in a huge underground cave system, populated by various nonhuman intelligent beings. You can find the occasional human relic, like keycaps from keyboards, and some NPCs will give their opinions on what the relics signify. One of them they believe to be an altimeter, because the rate at which it clicks corresponds to how close you are to the surface...

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
In Watch Dogs 2, you can hack scissorlifts and drive them around remotely, and you can do incredibly rude things to other players with them.

What astonishes me is that with a bit of gunfire, the lift will shut down and drop, but out of five people I invaded, only one both noticed me and thought to start shooting.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm getting through The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna, and fitting with the current discussion, it's funny seeing the residents trying to understand how humans lived, like one writing fanfiction about Jefferson Goldboom in HumanWorld and his motorcycle he keeps in his pocket, or someone else writing essays on human culture, such as the many different schools of poetry like Communism and Pastoralism. "Excuse me, waiter, but there appears to be a shield in my soup."

IMO Road to Gehenna really captures the feel of small internet communities back in the 1990s/early 2000s. Filled with wide-eyed nerdy teenagers/young adults without deep understanding about how the world works, creating their own thing without parents/teachers/other authorities (except for the mods who are just barely more experienced than everyone else).

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

flatluigi posted:

there's been a nice rash of games like Horizon Zero Dawn

What are some others?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Dienes posted:

What are some others?

Breath of the Wild and Nier Automata jump to my mind immediately, if not being 'post-post-apocalypse' then definitely taking a very tranquil view of the post-apocalypse.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
the world by the time NieR Automata takes place has had like 3 apocalypses

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For a world that's experienced like 9000 years of nonstop warfare it's pretty drat chill.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tiggum posted:

Ever since Invisible War I've wanted a game that's just the hub sections with no story missions. Like, just put all that story mission effort into giving me more side quests and more places to gently caress around in. I get through all the side quests and finish exploring every place I can get then think "oh well, I guess I'll do a story mission then. Maybe it'll unlock some more side quests."

I just love breaking into random houses and stealing poo poo, ever since Thief Deadly Shadows in like 2005.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

skooma512 posted:

I just love breaking into random houses and stealing poo poo, ever since Thief Deadly Shadows in like 2005.

Same but also in video games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dangerous Driving, the spiritual successor to Burnout developed by the original creators of that series, just came out. There are some rough edges due to the drastically lower budget and smaller dev team, but they absolutely nailed the Burnout 2 and 3 style gameplay (albeit only at 30 fps with bad frame-pacing on the base PS4 and Xbone models, so I probably wouldn't recommend playing on either of those because this is a game where 60 fps really makes a difference).

That is cool in its own right, but the reason I'm bringing it up in the thread is the fact they were really dedicated to replicating the classic Burnout gameplay -- even though Dangerous Driving never seems to mention this, you can still do a boost start with the exact same mechanics and timing as in Burnout 2 and 3. I just decided to give it a shot, and it worked!

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc M posted:

Dangerous Driving, the spiritual successor to Burnout developed by the original creators of that series, just came out. There are some rough edges due to the drastically lower budget and smaller dev team, but they absolutely nailed the Burnout 2 and 3 style gameplay (albeit only at 30 fps with bad frame-pacing on the base PS4 and Xbone models, so I probably wouldn't recommend playing on either of those because this is a game where 60 fps really makes a difference).

That is cool in its own right, but the reason I'm bringing it up in the thread is the fact they were really dedicated to replicating the classic Burnout gameplay -- even though Dangerous Driving never seems to mention this, you can still do a boost start with the exact same mechanics and timing as in Burnout 2 and 3. I just decided to give it a shot, and it worked!

I am tentatively hype for this, but it hinges on one thing: are traffic cars properly dangerous like Burnouts 1 and 2, or are they hockey pucks like in 3?

EDIT: drat, the cars look too fast, too nimble. And then I find it's on the Epic store. Eh.

AMISH FRIED PIES has a new favorite as of 10:45 on Apr 9, 2019

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

why are you acting like that was a silly question to ask in the "little things in games" thread

I don't think it's a silly question, but the game doesn't really have the depth of interaction to go with that level of cause and effect. You pretty much can shoot people in body, head, or occasionally special spot that explodes. I didn't intend to come across as dismissive.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

I am tentatively hype for this, but it hinges on one thing: are traffic cars properly dangerous like Burnouts 1 and 2, or are they hockey pucks like in 3?
The hockey puck thing, or traffic checking, was introduced in Burnout Revenge. Burnout 3 still had traffic cars which would murder your rear end if you hit them from any direction, and the same applies to Dangerous Driving.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

drat, the cars look too fast, too nimble. And then I find it's on the Epic store. Eh.
There is no such thing as "too fast" in Burnout. :getin: The handling is definitely more sensitive than the previous games (I dialed the sensitivity down a couple of notches, which helped make the cars less twitchy), although this time there are also actual differences between the various models in each car class so some of them are much heavier and have a ton of understeer whereas others are light and nimble.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Apr 9, 2019

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I only played Symphony of the Night a couple times, and all of them were after playing the poo poo out of Rondo of Blood on PSP, so I didnt know until recentlh that if you run out of health fighting Dracula in the prologue, Maria will bust in to the room and use her magic to save Richter. Maria is the loving best.

Also while I miss the hammy voice work, "Perhaps the same could be said of ALL religions" changes to something along the lines of "Do you honestly believe you're here of your own free will?" And it's a sick loving burn that Richter has no comeback for.

Theres too many other little things to count but one of my favourites is that while mashing buttons trying to summon a spirit, I accidentally did Drac's patented teleport then throw fireballs move :allears: if only my gigantic thumbs didnt mash extra buttons when I try to do combos :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Distrust again. I like how the game handles getting into locked areas. Many parts of the Antarctic base are locked or barricaded. There's a multitude of ways for getting through doors, so you are almost never entirely blocked off from an area. It all depends on how you want to manage your time and your resources. Crowbars open doors quickly but break them and let in cold air. Shooting off a lock is even quicker and doesn't break a door but leaves you without ammo to defend yourself. A lockpick leaves a door intact but breaks easily so might burn through a couple before unlocking anything.

Then there's the Keyring item. If you are entirely out of resources (and dont have the character with the door breaking ability), the Keyring item allows you to open any door on the compound. The catch is that every door has a unique key and every key is on that ring. So the trade off is that it takes a stupid amount of time to find the right key, tying up that character as they slowly freeze and lose stamina.

My favourite little thing is that the game always places the base's keyring in a nightstand in the nearest building next to rhe starting location in the first zone. That way no matter what setup is generated you'll never have a run fail because you were unable to open a door. (Assuming you dont forget to grab them).

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I loved how H:ZD's culture was almost entirely divorced from the previous civilization. Almost no one cared about it apart from trinkets like mugs. It was such a wholesale disconnection I was wondering just how long it had been since the apocalypse. The actual reason kinda blew me away.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
While a lot of people make fun of it for goofy music at times, sometimes, like with this theme, Xenoblade Chronicles X gets it right. I love the Noctilum theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1aBg6qIGdU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Doc M posted:

Do me a favour, remind me of the mechanics/timing? Burnout 3 was a lot of years ago now...

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

EDF Iron Rain lets you choose gender outside of class, which means you can be a male jet lifter, or a female anything else. It also just has a surprising amount of production quality to it compared to other edf games, though it still very much feels like EDF.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One of the things you can do in Warframe is obtain a companion pet called a kubrow, which is sort of a doglike thing that hatches from an egg you cultivate for a couple of days.

When it hatches you get a prompt to name your pet. Rather, the prompt is, NAME HIM, in all caps commanding you to name your new dog.

I just thought that was funny.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Zoig posted:

EDF Iron Rain lets you choose gender outside of class, which means you can be a male jet lifter, or a female anything else. It also just has a surprising amount of production quality to it compared to other edf games, though it still very much feels like EDF.

I forgot this was out, what's different about it from 5?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the EDF song good again in Iron Rain or garbage like in EDF 5

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GelatinSkeleton posted:

If they take the additions from Iron Rain like the character creation and classes not being gender restricted and add it to a new one I might finally get an EDF.

I don't know much but I do know that you collect crystals now and I think those refine into weapons instead of just getting weapons randomly.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Well, you get blueprints for finishing the missions themselves, rather than random item boxes. Everyone can take a stock of support items that are the grenades and mines and air raider gear that air raiders never use. Using those costs money, but only from your mission completion money rather than your account, and if you use one item in a pack of 4 you may as well use the rest because it just charges you for the whole stack. Every class can use every gun and air raider doesn't really have a equivalent, being merged with ranger by letting them use carry the most gear items.

This means that the fencer equivalent just dual wields anything you equip on them, and instead of air raider we have a attack on titan knockoff with grapple wires and a very fast run that can summon a ride able bug as their super mode.

Honestly there's a lot so I'm just going to stop now, but the biggest thing is that armor rather than being given piecemeal via boxes costs credits you get for finishing missions, and has defined levels that increase exponentially so stuff like the wing diver starts getting 100 per level, but gets 1000 for like the last 4 levels. It still feels very edf but better put together, which was surprising.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
There's obviously a lot I like about Sekiro, but one smaller thing is the game is absolute sword porn too. Every main character has a pretty basic looking Japanese sword for the most part, but if you look close there's a ton of work put into the texturing and details for each one. Hamon lines completely unique up the whole length of the blades, proper fittings, different kinds of sheaths, etc. I haven't geeked out about swords since I was in high school but it all reminds me of the crazy poo poo you can find on Yuhindo: https://yuhindo.com

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dewgy posted:

There's obviously a lot I like about Sekiro, but one smaller thing is the game is absolute sword porn too. Every main character has a pretty basic looking Japanese sword for the most part, but if you look close there's a ton of work put into the texturing and details for each one. Hamon lines completely unique up the whole length of the blades, proper fittings, different kinds of sheaths, etc. I haven't geeked out about swords since I was in high school but it all reminds me of the crazy poo poo you can find on Yuhindo: https://yuhindo.com

What a cool site this is, thanks for sharing!
A fun little thing I was amused by in Sekiro was when I encountered the miniboss "Lone Shadow Masanaga."
I wasn't able to beat him, so I left and went to the next level, with the intent of coming back later.
After I defeated the Divine Dragon, I went back to the place where I had first encountered him.
There were no signs of living Lone Shadows near the idol he was guarding, only a troop of monkeys, including the white monkey elite swordsmen.
I found his body against a pillar with what looked like a monkey's sword in his chest.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Still playing Distrust. Many flaws and glitches, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Jumped back into a saved game where one of my survivors had died. When the save booted up, my previously deceased survivor had reappeared and was flagged as critical. Weird glitch in my favour, so I brought her back to life and continued onto the exit. The base exit I had to solve was a vehicle checkpoint that only opened the security door when a vehicle was on a weighted plate. There are no working vehicles in the game, so the solution is to locate and drag enough heavy bags onto the plate to trigger the exit. As I was moving the bags, I noticed that the survivor I brought back was able to set down a bag on the pressure plate. Which was weird because they weren't carrying a bag, the other survivors were. The options for actions are only context sensitive, so this was odd. But hey, I figured let's see what would happen. Probably nothing.

Actually, she picked up the loving building:

I was able to walk around the entire base with it, just hauling it around. I took it into other buildings, had naps with it, and even shot some alien anomalies with it:

Only problem was I wasn't able to exit the level as long as she was carrying the building. Fortunately, this glitch didn't end my run. Another anomaly caught her and killed her off, and she dropped the building in fine working order and I was able to exit:

Best part of all? At the start of the next zone, my twice dead survivor once again appeared in critical condition so I was able to revive her and go on to complete the run with everyone still alive:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I grabbed the Shadowgate remake for the Switch without knowing anything about the game past the infamous difficulty of the NES version. I'm playing it pretty much completely blind on Classic/Medium and having fun so far. First of all, I love that there's two different axes for difficulty, and the game explains what they do with a nice little paragraph instead of just letting you guess what they affect. Second, there's just something refreshing about a game that so openly despises the player. Grab a book? Whoops, you're dead. Touch some water? Dead. Click something in a dangerous room? Super dead. So far, a fair amount of them have been telegraphed a bit so if you're observant or cautious you can avoid them, I'm sure that will change later, but it's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What doesn't kills you makes you stronger.