Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Harminoff posted:

Have you checked out dungreed?

I have not, and I forgot about Towerclimb, never played that either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

John Lee posted:

Catacomb Kids hasn't updated in a real-life year and is sitting at .15 or something, Vagante is especially difficult but has cool character progression, and Caveblazers is IMO the most polished of the three mechanically, but has a weird-rear end unpleasant ending (The final boss who has kidnapped all the disappearing women is keeping them as cages and, apparently, using them as sex slaves, and the post-story stuff gets weirder from there)

this was the most random edgy poo poo. I didn't end up playing it again after I got to the end the first time because I really didn't enjoy the gameplay in practice, but that being my last impression of the game really didn't do it any favors for me.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Was the final boss Bowser?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's some barbarian warlord that then transforms into a generic evil monstrosity, as I recall.

If you do play Caveblazers, prioritize vampiric weapons. Healing is in short supply, and a little extra healing is vastly superior to the other available weapon effects, as I recall. Like, the difference for me between dying on level 3 and making it to the end of the game was finding a vampiric weapon.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Caveblazers is also insanely punishing and the enemies are extremely good at ducking around your attacks and hitting you with perfect spacing, plus healings is extremely rare and quaff-IDing potions is statistically unfavorable. The game is just not great.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013

255 posted:

Final update for Enter The Gungeon dropped this morning & it looks pretty robust. If anyone bounced off it previously (and didn't come back already) I'd suggest taking another look!

I'm still bouncing off it. I can clear the level okay but oh my god, the bosses, the loving bosses!

Please, newbie tips.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

HeartNotes3 posted:

I'm still bouncing off it. I can clear the level okay but oh my god, the bosses, the loving bosses!

Please, newbie tips.
Save your blanks for the bosses and always be ready to use them.

When you see a screen full of bullets, don’t panic. If you move or dodge roll randomly, you’re almost certain to run into one of them, and they’re generally slow enough that you can just walk out of the way.

When you do dodge roll, get used to rolling through the bullets rather than away from them.

Ammoconda is still a fucker no matter how long you’ve been playing for.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

HeartNotes3 posted:

Please, newbie tips.

Look at the bullets and just shoot in the general direction of the boss.
Walking through patterns is muuuch better than rolling.
Rolling sideways or into walls sometimes puts you in a much better place for the next wave of bullets.
Bosses take time to kill, don't get greedy.

Is it fixed for ps4 yet? I want to dig in, but the posts about crashes are discouraging.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

HeartNotes3 posted:

Please, newbie tips.

On top of the general tips above, you usually want to look for a boss killer weapon. Something that does a lot of damage to the boss quickly (or per shot so you can concentrate more on dodging), have enough ammo to last for an entire boss, and optionally can eat projectiles (like explosions). Shotguns are really good at it, but until you get comfortable with a boss's patterns you usually want to prefer something you can shoot at range.

Brown chests are more reliable to getting you an early boss killing weapon than blue chests which usually contain gimmick weapons (green chests and above have the same risk of giving you something gimmicky, but they are usually about as good as brown chests at giving you something decent and can sometimes give you something broken). Once you find a boss killing weapon, only use the ammo for it on bosses and keep it topped up for the next boss.

Hunter is extremely good for practicing early bosses because the crossbow she starts with is a reliable boss killer that you don't have to hunt for. Marine is also good for the accuracy boost on some of the garbage weapons you find and a basic weapon that stretches across the screen accurately. Convict is good at it as well, but only when you feel comfortable with using shotguns on bosses.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Look at the bullets and just shoot in the general direction of the boss.
Walking through patterns is muuuch better than rolling.
Rolling sideways or into walls sometimes puts you in a much better place for the next wave of bullets.
Bosses take time to kill, don't get greedy.

Is it fixed for ps4 yet? I want to dig in, but the posts about crashes are discouraging.

As of the patch before this one I had no issues on PS4 and cleared the game quite a few times . Unless the new update introduced some issues I think it's fine

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Gungeon tips: do a few runs where you don't dodge roll at all. I mean it. You'll die, but it'll build pattern familiarity and help get you into the headspace of calmly, neatly threading the needle between bullets instead of wildly rolling around everywhere, and that is what will allow you to eventually reach the point of absolutely clowning bosses on a consistent basis.

Once you're starting to get semi-decent at walking around bullets, start using the dodge roll again, but only sparingly. You want to use it whenever you don't think you can safely walk between shots. Don't just dodgeroll at or away from the scary bullets; you always want to dodgeroll either a) to a specific spot you anticipate to be safe or occasionally b) against a wall so you get invulnerability frames without moving. Apply your "calmly go where the bullets aren't" experience from your dodgeless runs to the way you aim your dodges, and the majority of enemies won't have a hope in hell of putting a scratch on you.

Beyond that, it's almost entirely just getting familiar with the different bullet patterns.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Gungeon chests confused me for the longest time because the green ones are a higher rarity tier than the blue ones which goes against industry guidelines.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Gungeon chests confused me for the longest time because the green ones are a higher rarity tier than the blue ones which goes against industry guidelines.

You have piqued a curiosity in me. I will do a little looking and report back.

Its pretty mixed actually
So for like games that don't use green for a rarity Blue is usually a low tier but higher than common whites.
for money its usually blue worth more than green.
in MMOs it varies wildly greens are special items in wow and guild wars that you cant get via drops
Diablo III also follows this where blues are uncommon drops but greens are slightly above yellow and potentially above oranges in importance. D2 oranges were crafted items which were also stronger than blues.
fortnite green is better than blue monster hunter blue is better than green its all over the place.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 11, 2019

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Blue is a basic rear end magic item and green is a super rare set item, diablo 2 taught me this and no other game has managed to break it in my head.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Clever Spambot posted:

Blue is a basic rear end magic item and green is a super rare set item, diablo 2 taught me this and no other game has managed to break it in my head.

:hmmyes:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Greens in wow are the lowest tier of magic items, above the two mundane tiers of greys and whites but below blues. They absolutely come from drops (and quest rewards).

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

andrew smash posted:

Greens in wow are the lowest tier of magic items, above the two mundane tiers of greys and whites but below blues. They absolutely come from drops (and quest rewards).

the quest reward ones are equipment and more common than a normal drop green that usually a consumable I want to say?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

AkumaHokoru posted:

the quest reward ones are equipment and more common than a normal drop green that usually a consumable I want to say?

This is the wrong thread for dragging this argument out, but no, green equipment drops all the time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

We need more games like Dredmor which take tropes and run with them. Imagine having a magical consortium that enforces rarity tiers on gear, while 'illegal' gear exists that is overpowered for their rarity. Like a blue with the stats of a purple.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

andrew smash posted:

This is the wrong thread for dragging this argument out, but no, green equipment drops all the time.

oh I wasn't arguing I legitimately forgot I haven't played wow in forever. I think tabbards were a thing that was green?

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

We need more games like Dredmor which take tropes and run with them. Imagine having a magical consortium that enforces rarity tiers on gear, while 'illegal' gear exists that is overpowered for their rarity. Like a blue with the stats of a purple.

So a Paranoia roguelike.

...how did no one ever make a Paranoia roguelike?!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Citizen, we were concerned to hear that you bump attacked a goblin captain, which is a yellow ‘g’, while your clearance level is only red.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Also, synergies are kinda good. I literally just finished a game where my first guns were the shotgun and the AK-47, two acceptable but low-tier guns that can be found in brown chests. If you have both, then they both fire literally four times as fast and everything melts. And that's how I just got Lead God without buying blanks, even though my second boss was Ammoconda and my fourth boss was High Priest. :)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

Also, synergies are kinda good. I literally just finished a game where my first guns were the shotgun and the AK-47, two acceptable but low-tier guns that can be found in brown chests. If you have both, then they both fire literally four times as fast and everything melts. And that's how I just got Lead God without buying blanks, even though my second boss was Ammoconda and my fourth boss was High Priest. :)

One of the new characters comes with an item that gives all guns all their synergies without actually needing the other items. It's hilarious.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

On that note, can you encounter the paradox rift during a rainbow run? I want to get unlocking the new stuff but it'd be so much easier in that mode if I took robot along.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just had a game where I had orbital bullets and snowballbullets so the game was a confusing mess of large yellow orbs in the way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

megane posted:

Citizen, we were concerned to hear that you bump attacked a goblin captain, which is a yellow ‘g’, while your clearance level is only red.

I laughed out loud, thank you

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

So, I like the Soldak games, but I've always found ranged combat to be extremely unsatisfying in Din's Curse and Depths of Peril. Which is odd, because I loved ranged combat in Diablo 1/2.

After playing more Din with my daughter, I think I've finally pinpointed why, and it's a combination of three things:
- Your light radius is really small, like 4-5 tiles at best
- You can't see things outside your light radius at all, not even terrain, let alone monsters (contrast D1 where light affected monster awareness but you could still see things outside it, just more dimly)
- You can't attack things you can't see, even with ranged attacks

Points 1 and 2 make the game feel really cramped and claustrophobic. Point 3 means you can't (as you can in D1/2 and, e.g., DoomRL) hear enemies in the distance and wildly fire arrows or spells at them; you have to wait until they're almost in melee range before you can attack them anyways.

It looks like Zombasite has lots of brightly lit outdoor areas, so hopefully it'll be better about this.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

So, I like the Soldak games, but I've always found ranged combat to be extremely unsatisfying in Din's Curse and Depths of Peril. Which is odd, because I loved ranged combat in Diablo 1/2.

After playing more Din with my daughter, I think I've finally pinpointed why, and it's a combination of three things:
- Your light radius is really small, like 4-5 tiles at best
- You can't see things outside your light radius at all, not even terrain, let alone monsters (contrast D1 where light affected monster awareness but you could still see things outside it, just more dimly)
- You can't attack things you can't see, even with ranged attacks

Points 1 and 2 make the game feel really cramped and claustrophobic. Point 3 means you can't (as you can in D1/2 and, e.g., DoomRL) hear enemies in the distance and wildly fire arrows or spells at them; you have to wait until they're almost in melee range before you can attack them anyways.

It looks like Zombasite has lots of brightly lit outdoor areas, so hopefully it'll be better about this.

I'm playing Din's Curse now, too, and agree. Spellcasters have it worst, because the spells themselves don't do much more damage than a straight melee hit by an equal level melee class, but require a skill point investment to stay reasonably powerful, so you can focus on maybe three and any more would spread you too thin.

The rest of the game is awesome as hell, though. It's the only game with dynamic quests I've played where the quests help the world feel alive.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I often ended up feeling overwhelmed in those games when I'd want a little time to go shopping or whatever and I keep getting warnings about terrible things happening or the blacksmith gets brainwashed or killed in an invasion so I have to find another one.

Is there a way to turn the timer down so the events aren't so hot and heavy? Or is that just the nature of it?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
There’s a mildly amusing thread that touches on this subject, but there should be a way for you to adjust the game pace, if that’s what you’re asking. I’ve lost my old copy, if I had it, so I can’t say where that option is.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unormal posted:

We're raising the price of Caves of Qud in 10 days, so this is as cheap as it's going to get for a long while.

https://twitter.com/cavesofqud/stat...r%3D317%23pti21

Other people have said it but CoQ is one of the two games I consistently go back and play years later (the other one is Rimworld). If you like roguelikes and haven't played it this is pretty much the best one there is

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

LordSloth posted:

There’s a mildly amusing thread that touches on this subject, but there should be a way for you to adjust the game pace, if that’s what you’re asking. I’ve lost my old copy, if I had it, so I can’t say where that option is.

Now I'm going to pick up Zombasite, since the other ones I've had fun with and it's on sale until the 15th. I feel doing coop would be pretty fun, I remember doing that a little bit in the past.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
A couple years ago I posted an edited Elona+ that reduced the grind and RNG considerably. If you ever wanted to try Elona but didn't have the time or patience to spend 1000 hours to beat the 3rd act... now's your chance. My last character lasted a decently fun 150 hours. I recently updated those changes to the most recent release (1.88R). I posted the exe and changes here: https://elona.fandom.com/wiki/User:Garfu2

I just started a new char too so if anyone wants to start a new guy and talk about it let me know! We can get on discord or steam or something. Talking about elona is fun.

edit: full package download for convenience https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xpUeFGeu8Pp6w5kdBnBv0FD_2R4Yk_RF

Garfu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 13, 2019

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Garfu posted:

A couple years ago I posted an edited Elona+ that reduced the grind and RNG considerably. If you ever wanted to try Elona but didn't have the time or patience to spend 1000 hours to beat the 3rd act... now's your chance. My last character lasted a decently fun 150 hours. I recently updated those changes to the most recent release (1.88R). I posted the exe and changes here: https://elona.fandom.com/wiki/User:Garfu2

I just started a new char too so if anyone wants to start a new guy and talk about it let me know! We can get on discord or steam or something. Talking about elona is fun.

Just might do that later.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LordSloth posted:

If that thread is right, turning on the slow speed modifiers gives your clan an XP penalty but none of the others? So attacks will happen less frequently but when they do, the enemy clans will massively outlevel you?

That seems like poor design.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
To be fair,

ToxicFrog posted:

If that thread is right, turning on the slow speed modifiers gives your clan an XP penalty but none of the others? So attacks will happen less frequently but when they do, the enemy clans will massively outlevel you?

To be fair, it was only Dorok who came to that conclusion before everyone gave up on him. So inconclusive imo.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

ToxicFrog posted:

That guy is moving the baseline from the default settings to the maximum bonus you can get for playing at a high speed to complain that the XP penalty for playing at the lowest speed is huge (-55%). It is not; the actual -20% penalty is easily overcome by the fact that you have more time to do stuff.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

LordSloth posted:

To be fair,

To be fair, it was only Dorok who came to that conclusion before everyone gave up on him. So inconclusive imo.

Someone else posted this:
"Also: you probably turned in lots of quests for the clan that finally raided you. If you turn in quests that are not from your own clan, the other clan levels up!"

which might have been the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mithross posted:

Someone else posted this:
"Also: you probably turned in lots of quests for the clan that finally raided you. If you turn in quests that are not from your own clan, the other clan levels up!"

which might have been the problem.

Hell, I didn't know this. I guess it's smart to keep on the good side of such a clan, and only do dirty work for clans you can count on, which isn't hard to figure out.