Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Emalde posted:

Only if it's all actually derived from Garlean tech, which it doesn't really sound like and more feels like "yeah these cool cats from up north have been passing down sicknasty gunkata techniques for generations" which :lol:

The wiki, at least, points out that Ilsabard has tons of ceruleum, so it's not too crazy to think that the native inhabitants of Ilsabard might have come up with their own magitech separate from Garlemald.

Still, I was sorta hoping that the Gunbreaker lore would be more about Garlean tech, but I guess since they decided to go with the Squall-style gunblade and that's not what Garleans use they had to do something different. Or maybe a better way to put it is that I was hoping it wouldn't be something that's really specific to a brand new in-game race/culture. I wanted it tied to something we already knew/cared about, maybe?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So the odds of the Gunbreaker level up/class completion achievement being called "Maybe I am a Lion" increased by about 76% is what you're saying.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

So the odds of the Gunbreaker level up/class completion achievement being called "Maybe I am a Lion" increased by about 76% is what you're saying.

I can't tell if that makes it better or worse

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 11, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

The wiki, at least, points out that Ilsabard has tons of ceruleum, so it's not too crazy to think that the native inhabitants of Ilsabard might have come up with their own magitech separate from Garlemald.

Still, I was sorta hoping that the Gunbreaker lore would be more about Garlean tech, but I guess since they decided to go with the Squall-style gunblade and that's not what Garleans use they had to do something different. Or maybe a better way to put it is that I was hoping it wouldn't be something that's really specific to a brand new in-game race/culture. I wanted it tied to something we already knew/cared about, maybe?

It sounds on the wiki like Ilsabard was conquered by Garlemald, though, so the Hrothgar might have simply adapted Garlean magitek to an existing way of combat, or perhaps it's an invention of anti-imperial rebels using stolen Garlean magitek.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Cythereal posted:

It sounds on the wiki like Ilsabard was conquered by Garlemald, though, so the Hrothgar might have simply adapted Garlean magitek to an existing way of combat, or perhaps it's an invention of anti-imperial rebels using stolen Garlean magitek.

It's most likely this. Hrothgar probably took the tech and then adapted it to a fighting style that uses aether since they don't have the Garlean limitation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Failboattootoot posted:

It's most likely this. Hrothgar probably took the tech and then adapted it to a fighting style that uses aether since they don't have the Garlean limitation.

Thinking about this, and how much of the world Garlemald has conquered... being a Garlean in Eorzea must be like the Vietnam War, only the VC respawn indefinitely and get stronger every time they do.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FortMan posted:

Many interesting, if a bit short, information. (spoilers, just in case)

Dancer is Thavnarian, while Gunbreaker is Hrothgar's desplicine from Isabard. That kinda explain the magitech angle, and why it is different from Garlean's technique. Interesting enough, the Hrothgar of Northern Ilsabard is ruled by a Queen.

Look like Kholusia is First's Vylbrand. Will the Dwarves be where the Kobolds are in the Source?

Amh Araeng looks to be where Thanalan is?

Rak'tika is in the First, equivalent of Black Shroud?

I'm looking for more already.

Il Mheg is Ala Mhigo with more plants. Kinda interesting that they've got vaguely similar names compared to everywhere else. Wonder if it'll get brought up?

Information on the FFXV crossover event is up. I can't help but feel that it's gonna be real loving goofy seeing 30 people trundling around in the Regalia come ShB, but whatever. The armor set's got some nice pieces I can use in a few glamours, so I'm hoping it won't be some kind of Yokai Watch situation to get.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 11, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cythereal posted:

Thinking about this, and how much of the world Garlemald has conquered... being a Garlean in Eorzea must be like the Vietnam War, only the VC respawn indefinitely and get stronger every time they do.

I'm not sure coming back after a wipe (or indeed solo Returns) are considered "canon" the way dying and respawning is a lore mechanic in Destiny. (Actually, I'm not sure even Raise is considered canon? Or does the game just ignore the whole Use A Phoenix Down On Aeris thing, I genuinely don't recall)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure coming back after a wipe (or indeed solo Returns) are considered "canon" the way dying and respawning is a lore mechanic in Destiny. (Actually, I'm not sure even Raise is considered canon? Or does the game just ignore the whole Use A Phoenix Down On Aeris thing)

Any raid wipe is in lore the Echo telling the Warrior of Light what not to do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ciaphas posted:

I'm not sure coming back after a wipe (or indeed solo Returns) are considered "canon" the way dying and respawning is a lore mechanic in Destiny. (Actually, I'm not sure even Raise is considered canon? Or does the game just ignore the whole Use A Phoenix Down On Aeris thing, I genuinely don't recall)

I don't know anything about Destiny or why you're bringing it up. I played through Destiny 2's base campaign when it was given away free on battle.net and throughout all of it had no clear idea of what I was doing or what was happening beyond that I was presumably a good guy, the people I was shooting were bad guys, and the magic cue ball is important for some reason.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sorry, was drawing a comparison and forgot to explain. In the Destiny series the characters are explicitly immortal/respawn forever in the game lore, unlike here. (I also coulda swore I recognized your name from the D2 thread in Games. Oops :v:)

(e)

Dr Pepper posted:

Any raid wipe is in lore the Echo telling the Warrior of Light what not to do.

Works for me!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

What does the lore say about d/c's?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

captured by a pokeball

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I haven't seen anyone mention this, but the burning village dungeon strongly resembles the burning of Thamasa from FFVI. The town center is visible and the small-ish buildings fit for Thamasa.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ciaphas posted:

(I also coulda swore I recognized your name from the D2 thread in Games. Oops :v:)

You probably do, I posted in that thread when D2 was given away free and I was struggling to figure out the UI and what I was supposed to be doing in the game.

I almost reinstalled D2 a couple weeks ago to play for a change of pace to just play through the free campaign again, then saw a 92 gig download on steam and said gently caress no.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ciaphas posted:

The "dead" debuff is called Incapacitated, so outside of wipes you can handwave away anyone really dieing. Probably works with NPCs that get chumped hard but don't die, like Y'shtola during the Rhalgar's Reach attack.

That said, the echo seems to let one come back from the dead. It happens during the fight against the warriors of darkness in 3.4, where we kill them but the echo right back, and Zenos dieing but floating on over to another body to take over.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the hrothgar clans are called "helions" and "the lost" both of which i am extremely into

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The "dead" debuff is called Incapacitated, so outside of wipes you can handwave away anyone really dieing. Probably works with NPCs that get chumped hard but don't die, like Y'shtola during the Rhalgar's Reach attack.

That said, the echo seems to let one come back from the dead. It happens during the fight against the warriors of darkness in 3.4, where we kill them but the echo right back, and Zenos dieing but floating on over to another body to take over.

Going full disembodied spirit to possess another body altogether is strictly different from what we or the Warriors of Darkness do, which seems to be more of just a plain old magical second wind.

It's doubtful any of our deaths are canon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

the hrothgar clans are called "helions" and "the lost" both of which i am extremely into

hellions? Or He-Lions?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
He-Lions because we don't have the resources to make She-Lions.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Would've had the resources if you'd focused on one drat race at a time instead of doing two :colbert:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kurieg posted:

hellions? Or He-Lions?

helions

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Captain Oblivious posted:

Going full disembodied spirit to possess another body altogether is strictly different from what we or the Warriors of Darkness do, which seems to be more of just a plain old magical second wind.

It's doubtful any of our deaths are canon.

The WoDs had to die to transfer their souls to the source. I don't know if they took over Eorzean bodies, or if they somehow generated new ones, but one way or the other, they're back from the dead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I'm really impatient for that May Live Letter because I really want to see how the Gunbreaker plays. I still haven't really committed to leveling a tank in FFXIV but I am extremely interested in doing so and I want to see what I'm in for if I pick Gunbreaker as my first one.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Would've had the resources if you'd focused on one drat race at a time instead of doing two :colbert:

Once again, should've gone with Ivalice moogles instead of Hrothgar :colbert: Wouldn't even need different bodies for different genders.

Make them the Gunbreaker inventors, too. In FFTA, moogles are the ones with gadget and gun-based jobs, so you could have a bunch of badass moogle gunblade tanks running around.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am laughing at the Viera "everyone who leaves is Exiled" thing after people insisting no male Viera was for lore reasons

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

But.. the word Hellions has two L's...

*reads website*
Oh. It's supposed to be helio-n, like Helios, the sun. Because literally every race is divided into Sun and Moon clans for some reason.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm expecting Gunbreaker to be MCH But A Tank. Bolt an ammo mechanic onto Paladin and you're good to go! :v:

Well, I'm mostly just looking forward to MCH's new toys. I hope MCH literally gets new toys.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I wanna blast some sound at a motherfucker real bad.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ImpAtom posted:

I am laughing at the Viera "everyone who leaves is Exiled" thing after people insisting no male Viera was for lore reasons

Why's that? Because the lore suggests that all player Viera are outcasts because they left? So if all the female Viera are breaking the rules why can't there be male Viera who are also breaking the rules by being out and about? Or what's the exile thing about?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The WoDs had to die to transfer their souls to the source. I don't know if they took over Eorzean bodies, or if they somehow generated new ones, but one way or the other, they're back from the dead.

I'm referring to them getting back up during the fight.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Reveal Ishgardian housing.

Ishgardian housing but it's only unlocked through completing development, mitigating house hoarding

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I'Well, I'm mostly just looking forward to MCH's new toys. I hope MCH literally gets new toys.

jokes posted:

I wanna blast some sound at a motherfucker real bad.

Give them all of Edgar's tools from FFVI and it's an instant 10/10

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Give them all of Edgar's tools from FFVI and it's an instant 10/10

The Jason hockey mask is either a glamour or appears with the ability like the eye animations for warriors.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Gunnhildr is the dumbest name, yet it's perfect for how silly Gunbreaker weapons will be.

quote:

The Dragonsong War has long since ended, but its scars yet remain. As man and dragon work together to rebuild the Holy See, the people of Ishgard have come to find they want for helping hands...

It just occurred to me Ishgard is really only two areas, and the Pillars are relatively untouched by the war, I'm guessing we'll be fixing up the Foundation? Conservation of areas plus the way Ishgard's built doesn't really leave much else, unless we're going to those rafters you see under the city with a mile drop below them.

Kinda hard to make a new area ala Doman Enclave when the city is built on a pillar.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

Gunnhildr is the dumbest name, yet it's perfect for how silly Gunbreaker weapons will be.

It just occurred to me Ishgard is really only two areas, and the Pillars are relatively untouched by the war, I'm guessing we'll be fixing up the Foundation? Conservation of areas plus the way Ishgard's built doesn't really leave much else, unless we're going to those rafters you see under the city with a mile drop below them.

Kinda hard to make a new area ala Doman Enclave when the city is built on a pillar.

Gunnhildr is literally a real name :v:

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gunnhildr is literally a real name :v:

I never said it wasn't, but it's too good a joke for the Fox to pass up.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Malachite_Dragon posted:

They should've just said that the Hrothgar were male Viera and left it at that.

CYBEReris posted:

Ishgardian housing but it's only unlocked through completing development, mitigating house hoarding

What do you think the new Ishgardian crafting questline is for?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rastan Beeza posted:

ishgard also includes the surrounding coerthan highlands that are now frozen wastelands post-calamity - ref the abandoned towns in western coerthas etc. I expect they'll use at least some of that

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

World War Mammories posted:

ishgard also includes the surrounding coerthan highlands that are now frozen wastelands post-calamity - ref the abandoned towns in western coerthas etc. I expect they'll use at least some of that

Oh wow, I completely forgot about those. You're probably going to be right.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

They should've just said that the Hrothgar were male Viera and left it at that.

What I thought was surprising is finding out Hrothgar were the original "new" race and they just made Female Viera as a secondary thing/fan demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The real swerve will be when we meet up with Gunnhildr in game, and she's voiced by... Jean Gilpin.