Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sean10mm posted:

Assange almost certainly broke a bunch of laws, and could end up in the really bad US prison system, and is not going to be the victim of some CIA covert black op thing because everything has become super public worldwide already and that's literally the exact opposite of "covert."

Think that about covers it.

That's just what they want you to think. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Kaal posted:

Not really. It's more of an observation that if he hadn't been living his dirty internet edgelord fantasies and suing Ecuador for "inhumane conditions" like paying for his own food and laundry, he'd probably still be living in the apartment that they built for him.

"If the prisoner wanted books, he could pick books from the list we approved. If the prisoner wanted to brush his teeth, he can take a job earning pennies an hour and save up for the toothbrush we sell at the commissary."

it_you.jpg

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

The issue is you made up a concern about protecting sources; mere non-specific hand wringing would have been less alarmist.

It's not a made-up concern, though. The DoJ is still using legitimate behavior as evidence of a criminal conspiracy. I understand that that doesn't mean he's being charged for those actions, but given that the DoJ apparently has further charges in the works, it's entirely fair to speculate that they might be for publishing Manning's leaks. When I initially wrote the reply that started this conversation, it wasn't entirely clear to me that that fact pattern wasn't part of a charge for publishing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/blkgirlculture/status/1115971149383516161

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1116328630999760897

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Angry_Ed posted:

It is also the only way we'll get prison reform. Stop protecting the privileged from the horrors of the American Prison system. Make them face consequences.

Sending the government's political enemies to torture prison doesn't actually seem like a thing that results in woke prison reform though.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Haha Sweden is reopening the rape charges against Assange. Good.

Realistically, he's still going to have to serve his year sentence for bail jumping anyway before he gets extradited to either the US or Sweden right? Local charges take precedence?

Yeah definitely. The sentence will probably be a year because of its extremity, though it could be as little as three months. He'll still be subject to all the charges and court hearings, etc., while in jail, which could include transfers, so he'll probably bounce around for a while before finding his forever home.

jklfdsa
Oct 30, 2006
blah

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'll never understand people agreeing to be interviewed by chotiner.

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1116365417759612928

This is about as lucid and coherent as Bret Easton Ellis has been for the last decade. Why anyone takes him seriously these days is completely beyond me.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

selec posted:

LOL gotta empty out that safe before any of the Good Guys get unfortunate details leaked about them.

The enquirer being purchased by a center-left outlet would undeniably be a good thing compared to the current situation

The parent company owns nearly all of the supermarket checkout tabloids in the US, and was an important part of seeding the madness currently pointed towards the Clintons. Removing it as a source of right-wing propaganda would be a huge net positive for US discourse.

If you want to know why millions of people KNOW that Hillary is a screaming harpy, but don't know why they think that? It's the Enquirer and their other companies.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sending the government's political enemies to torture prison doesn't actually seem like a thing that results in woke prison reform though.

Maybe don't break the loving law and think your position of privilege protects you from consequences, then.

Or are you now trying to tell us that Paul Manafort, Martin Shkreli, et. al are political prisoners who should be set free

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kaal posted:

Yeah definitely. The sentence will probably be a year because of its extremity, though it could be as little as three months. He'll still be subject to all the charges and court hearings, etc., while in jail, which could include transfers, so he'll probably bounce around for a while before finding his forever home.

See this makes sense.

mdemone posted:

I guarantee he is on a plane over the Atlantic right now.

This is silly.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

mcmagic posted:

IDK what's funnier, these charges against him or Avanatti on the debate stage.

It's fun to see a blowhard get their comeuppance, but the underlying facts really aren't humorous at all.

He had a client who was left a paraplegic after an assbeating from the cops. Avenatti not only stole the settlement money and left the guy destitute, he apparently deliberately hosed up the guy's access to social services in order to hide the crime. That's vile.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Flip Yr Wig posted:

It's not a made-up concern, though. The DoJ is still using legitimate behavior as evidence of a criminal conspiracy. I understand that that doesn't mean he's being charged for those actions, but given that the DoJ apparently has further charges in the works, it's entirely fair to speculate that they might be for publishing Manning's leaks. When I initially wrote the reply that started this conversation, it wasn't entirely clear to me that that fact pattern wasn't part of a charge for publishing.

Destroying evidence of a crime is in of itself a crime.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Groovelord Neato posted:

Gross dude.
'I think the leftwing is the party of dangerous extremists."
"But what about trump doing this or this?"
"Oh, I don't care about politics."

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I like American Psycho as much as anyone but BEE is an avowed misogynist and should be ignored.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Private Speech posted:

He's literally being charged of conspiring with Manning.

Or you know, due process and everything.

I think he should have stood trial for those charges, I don't think he should go to the US prison for publishing Manning's leak.

And no I don't think he's going to be disappeared either.

He's not going to be put on trial for publishing leaks, so you get your wish.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

selec posted:

"If the prisoner wanted books, he could pick books from the list we approved. If the prisoner wanted to brush his teeth, he can take a job earning pennies an hour and save up for the toothbrush we sell at the commissary."

Ah yes, the ravages inflicted by the Embassy of Ecuador, such as "forced wearing of pants while in public", "mandatory feeding of cats", "required showering", etc. Basically a torture gulag.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

It's amazing how much breathe people waste on Assange vs those murdered journos who published panama papers.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

quote:

There are a lot of things to get angry about : children being separated from their parents, Trump saying nice things about marchers in Charlottesville. What is it that bothers you about this?

You do know that plenty of people don’t think that? You do understand that?

Don’t think what?

Don’t think all these things you are saying about Charlottesville. What does he have, a ninety-three-per-cent approval rating, or, let’s say, a hundred per cent, from his base? Let’s say it is, over-all, way up, from thirty-eight per cent to fifty per cent, or even higher. And let’s say Latinos are now fifty-per-cent approval for Trump.

That’s not true, but O.K.

Well, whatever.

I am looking at the FiveThirtyEight average. He is at forty-two per cent.

O.K., but whatever. There is another side of the aisle

well, whatever

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/1116380539056001024

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

those murdered journos who published panama papers.

Wait what?

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Kaal posted:

Not really. It's more of an observation that if he hadn't been living his dirty internet edgelord fantasies and suing Ecuador for "inhumane conditions" like paying for his own food and laundry, he'd probably still be living in the apartment that they built for him.

"I don't care about any nuance or point you're making because whatever happens to him is his own fault" is actually distilled republicanism.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
I feel like going after Assange is a net negative for Trump. His base is probably 75% paranoid conspiracy theorist anti-deep staters now. He'd be better off pardoning him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Sean posted:

well, whatever

Christ that guy's an rear end in a top hat. "Nothing you're worried about is concerning or troubling to me because there's people who are fine with it."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Arturo Ui posted:

I feel like going after Assange is a net negative for Trump. His base is probably 75% paranoid conspiracy theorist anti-deep staters now. He'd be better off pardoning him.

It's mostly ordinary old suburban whites actually.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Munkeymon posted:

Wait what?

The journalist who published the Panama Papers was killed by a car bomb in Malta when doing investigative reporting on organized crime.

edit: Christ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_Caruana_Galizia#Death

quote:

On 4 December 2017, Maltese prime minister Joseph Muscat announced that ten individuals had been arrested in connection to the investigation, three of whom were later charged with executing the assassination.[14][75] None of the three suspects have been brought to trial. None of the intermediaries and mandators have been identified and prosecuted. Malta's prime minister continues to block a public inquiry into the circumstances of Daphne Caruana Galizia's assassination, in violation of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 11, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Petr posted:

"I don't care about any nuance or point you're making because whatever happens to him is his own fault" is actually distilled republicanism.

Maybe, but that's not what he was saying at all. Go back and re-read what you were responding to. He was pointing out that ultimately the revocation of asylum was due more to pedestrian housemate issues than criminal indictments or international politics. Which is absolutely true.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Perhaps Assange will be cell neighbors with Manafort and Cohen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Sean posted:

well, whatever

who the gently caress is this moron?

least he has a pattern.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Petr posted:

The widows of RussiaGate needed some release from their 20+ months of blue balls, so I guess Assange's downfall somehow qualifies.

They'll worry about startling precedents a year or so from now, and then deny the useless glee they felt. It's the cycle of life.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Arturo Ui posted:

But pardoning him for Bush-era crimes is going to piss off lot of his base as well, appearing as approval for whistleblowers no matter the political spectrum. Assange was a liberal darling up until the Obama administration.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Angry_Ed posted:

Maybe don't break the loving law and think your position of privilege protects you from consequences, then.

Or are you now trying to tell us that Paul Manafort, Martin Shkreli, et. al are political prisoners who should be set free

Nobody said anyone was a political prisoner that should be set free, including Assange. Jesus christ, why do so many people here have to be so loving disingenuous about this

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Christ that guy's an rear end in a top hat.

Ah, I see you have not previously been aware of Bret Easton Ellis. "rear end in a top hat" is basically his defining character trait.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

Boy if anyone could ever mouth breathe in a picture, this guy is it.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

Ah, I see you have not previously been aware of Bret Easton Ellis. "rear end in a top hat" is basically his defining character trait.

I mean you could just as easily say Trump is terrible because well, more than half the country and an entire side of the aisle seems to be unified behind him being bad.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

mdemone posted:

I'm kind of surprised he could stop complaining about millennials long enough to defend Trump. That really seems to be the only thing he's done for several years now.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

It's amazing how much breathe people waste on Assange vs those murdered journos who published panama papers.

Be the posts you want to see in the thread

selec
Sep 6, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

The enquirer being purchased by a center-left outlet would undeniably be a good thing compared to the current situation

The parent company owns nearly all of the supermarket checkout tabloids in the US, and was an important part of seeding the madness currently pointed towards the Clintons. Removing it as a source of right-wing propaganda would be a huge net positive for US discourse.

If you want to know why millions of people KNOW that Hillary is a screaming harpy, but don't know why they think that? It's the Enquirer and their other companies.

Yeah, it’s been a tool for some rich people to target other rich people for a while. Don’t see that changing unless they close up shop.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Chilichimp posted:

The journalist who published the Panama Papers was killed by a car bomb in Malta when doing investigative reporting on organized crime.

edit: Christ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_Caruana_Galizia#Death

loving hell that's gross. Guessing the EU can't just swoop in and take over the prosecution like the feds can in similar situations here in the US :\

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Chilichimp posted:

I mean you could just as easily say Trump is terrible because well, more than half the country and an entire side of the aisle seems to be unified behind him being bad.

More than half the country did not vote for trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who the gently caress is this moron?

Assuming you aren't asking rhetorically, he is a fiction author. Works you might know are Less Than Zero, Rules of Attraction, and American Psycho.

For further context, from the article:

quote:

Sorry, you keep going back and forth here between racism and supposed racism. Do you think he is racist or not?

Yeah, probably he is. Because when I was doing research on him, way back in the nineteen-eighties, during “American Psycho,” the policies he and his father were talking about—in terms of not letting people live in certain buildings, and the overreaction to the Central Park jogging case—was annoying enough to make him a figure in “American Psycho,” where Patrick Bateman sees [Trump] as the father he never had.

I'm surprised he didn't Freudian slip and say it was the father Brett Easton Ellis never had.