Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel so weird about Imperator. On one hand a new paradox game set in a interesting time period should be right up my alley, but I have to admit I haven’t been following the development much and when o saw some early gameplay video, the game seems like a cluttered EUIV reskin. I’m also concerned with how you make the game interesting for non Med powers, but consider all the crazy world conquests people do I guess I shouldn’t be overly concerned.

Still Paradox is one of those studies that even if it’s not right initially they will improve the game over time.

Is there an official thread yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah honestly the things that make me not that interested are all the things it has in common with EUIV, but that's just a taste thing. Really not my cup of tea EUIV. And the character stuff at least looks good so far.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
I'm looking forward to Imperator but I really just want a late antiquity Paradox game (which isn't the hot mess of WTWSMS)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Echoing the mixed feelings about Imperator. Some stuff looks amazing, other stuff looks depressingly familiar. Still really looking forward to trying it.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Just to show how paradox can’t win: I don’t want any of the ck2 role play stuff there (but have learned to tolerate it) and would be extremely happy if it turned out to be eu5 but in this time period.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Just to show the Paradox can win: Imperator looks sick af

feller
Jul 5, 2006

It really does

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jesus I didn't realize Imperator was coming out so soon.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Paradox wins when they extract the surplus value of their employees labor.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Imperator looks great, I'd be extremely happy with a Rome themed EU5

Fader Movitz fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 11, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm going into Imperator: Rome knowing basically nothing about it and I'm not sure if that's good or not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

As long as conquering three quarters of the med causes your nation to convulse into a series of civil wars I'll be happy. Don't really want more ultra-stable EU4 states.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Paradox wins when they extract the surplus value of their employees labor.

extremely nice low-key Victoria 3 clamour

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

As long as conquering three quarters of the med causes your nation to convulse into a series of civil wars I'll be happy. Don't really want more ultra-stable EU4 states.

Civil wars was like the one thing EU:Rome did well, and arguably better than any other Paradox title. Supposedly they want to replicate and expand on this and what they have looks interesting, though the big player empires in the dev clash have all been pretty stable. So it's possible that the way it works out at the moment, it's a bit too easy to manage for a skilled player.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The problem is that losing the civil war means game over.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rome looks EU-ish to me but I’m rooting for it to feel/play like a proper EU5 (Rome Edition.) EU feels like the most dated and janky paradox game to me at this point despite being younger than CK2.

Like CK2 is my crazy alcoholic grandma and EU4 is my fat, aging uncle that’s only fun to hang out with during hockey finals.

I think the early Rome period is a great, fresh stand-in for the classic EU period thematically- old and new empires clashing, worlds colliding, exploration, trade, conquest, a few questionably hiterlific fans to hate on. I’m hopeful.

And EU5 proper would be fun with a basic character system imo. Let a good general age into advising. Let me know beforehand if my 80-year-old king’s heir is the only living relative. Etc.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 11, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Party In My Diapee posted:

The problem is that losing the civil war means game over.

Yeah. Hopefully that is made into a toggleable game rule, poo poo have it disable achievements if you have to. At least it probably won't be too hard to mod out.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Rome looks EU-ish to me but I’m rooting for it to feel/play like a proper EU5 (Rome Edition.) EU feels like the most dated and janky paradox game to me at this point despite being younger than CK2.

I think a part of this is that generally CK2 has avoided the feeling of bloat that EU4 seems to have suffered with its updates and DLCs, where you have alot of new systems added by DLC that due to DLC can't always interact properly with each other (except when they end up backported into the main game by necessity) so they stand kind of artificially and obviously apart in a way that's odd and clunky. CK2's updates by contrast has mostly focused on adding mechanics for previously unplayable countries/rulers/religions or adding unique mechanics to those where they didn't exist.

Another reason could be that ultimately EU4 builds on much older game concepts and mechanics than CK2. Despite being a newer game.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 11, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Randarkman posted:

Another reason could be that ultimately EU4 builds on much older game concepts and mechanics than CK2. Despite being a newer game.
I have a feeling that this is a big factor. A lot has changed since EU1, but a lot is also still the same.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
EU4 is definitely very iterative. They mentioned in the last dev diary that there's still code from EU3 kicking around in EU4, which I bet isn't the case with CK1 and 2.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Every now and then I get a strange urge to give Civilization 6 another try, to see if I might actually like it this time. So I install it, play for an hour or so, and find out that it's still the exact same game that it was two years ago. Maybe there's some better stuff in the expansions, but the base vanilla game is still exactly the same. Same awful UI, same awful gameplay systems, same awful tech quotes, same awful art style. They already have my money, why should they fix anything?

It makes me really appreciate paradox, who are willing to listen to players when they say that something isn't working very well, and willing to make both big and small changes to their games to make them better.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Magissima posted:

EU4 is definitely very iterative. They mentioned in the last dev diary that there's still code from EU3 kicking around in EU4, which I bet isn't the case with CK1 and 2.

i would be shocked if there wasn't eu3 code still rattling around in there. all of the basic systems, even trade, are straight from eu3 at their core. imo eu3 & eu4 are basically just one game, eu4 was a direct iteration from the last patch of eu3

and it goes without saying that on the data/script side of things, the history files and about half of the events are from eu3 even if they're been changed over time to fit the current game mechanics

ck2...might have retained a little bit of ck1? certainly a few of the events were ported wholesale, and the launch history files

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 11, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wasn’t CK1 a particularly weird case? Like it was a licensed EU engine game but being made by some russian company that went under and paradox had to salvage it?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

With EU4 I just get frustrated by how many DLCs there are, and I bought 5 and the base game and then look in the thread and everybody's talking about 3 more DLCs that have the real important content, and there's too many totally separate systems for me to really get a handle on everything. Almost every DLC adds some big new system disconnected from everything else, as opposed to CK2, which only really has 3 DLCs that add totally new systems: Way of Life, Conclave, and Monks & Mystics. Everything's much more neatly bundled together.

Half of the systems that the game throws at you weren't even historically under the control of the higher echelons of government, which is why I get grumpy about some of the micromanaging like exploration or merchants or institutions. Imperator covers a time period that wasn't wildly evolving socially/technologically/religiously/economically like the world was from 1444 to 1824, and splitting your attention across Europe seems simpler than splitting it across hemispheres. I expect Imperator to feel a lot less schizophrenic, and I'd hope that character systems give a lot more flavor to the systems that they do introduce rather than let them all wallow on their own.

Although to be fair, how could a game not feel schizophrenic if it's trying to portray the french revolution, colonial independence, Hapsburg networking, and the protestant reformation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wasn’t CK1 a particularly weird case? Like it was a licensed EU engine game but being made by some russian company that went under and paradox had to salvage it?

My sense was that Paradox had designed the game and outsourced development to another studio and ended up pretty much having to restart from scratch?

Yeah, remembered the name 'Snowball' and found an old thread.

Randarkman posted:

Yeah. Hopefully that is made into a toggleable game rule, poo poo have it disable achievements if you have to. At least it probably won't be too hard to mod out.

Yeah, a DLC focused around civil wars would be cool. Obviously, you want to discourage losing the war, but letting you continue playing as the victorious rebellion should be possible. Just tank a whole poo poo load of your countries stats/stability/treasury etc.

It would also be nice if civil wars could end in a stalemate. Caesar flops at conquering the Republic and winds up holding a Caesarid Kingdom in Gaul after a peace treaty. A CB to restart the civil war goes to both sides for X years, but then eventually times out and they're de facto separate nations.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 11, 2019

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Krazyface posted:

I haven't really been following Imperator: Rome, but this LP that's just started does a really good job of laying out some of its mechanics.

He unpauses somewhere around the 21 minute mark.

This is a pro click. He seems to know the game better than I anticipated and he even actually edits somewhat well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jazerus posted:

i would be shocked if there wasn't eu3 code still rattling around in there. all of the basic systems, even trade, are straight from eu3 at their core. imo eu3 & eu4 are basically just one game, eu4 was a direct iteration from the last patch of eu3

The trade system in EU4 is completely different than the one in EU3. I think it was the biggest difference on release.

e: Oh and monarch points I guess. Admittedly quite the change. Going back to look at EU3 feels weird.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Watching some videos I'm really getting the feeling I can just jump in and start playing as if it were EU4, though I'm sure the first game or two would go badly. The similarity is way more obvious in solo videos than the MP streams.

Also apparently quill18 fights wars in the diplomatic map mode, what the gently caress man

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

The trade system in EU4 is completely different than the one in EU3. I think it was the biggest difference on release.

e: Oh and monarch points I guess. Admittedly quite the change. Going back to look at EU3 feels weird.

you'd think so, but no, the movement of trade and persistence of merchants are the only substantial changes to trade. these, of course, totally transformed the system, but the concept of trade value accumulating in centers of trade that nations staff with merchants to skim off the top was in eu3 for a long time

what i'm getting at is that from a code perspective, a major systems redesign was accomplished without having to rewrite the majority of the system at all

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Crusader Kings 3 actually starts in 2013 where instead of retiring, Pope Benedict calls for a new Crusade to restore the Kingdom of Jerusalem and starts a hellwar between Israel and South America.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Jack2142 posted:

Crusader Kings 3 actually starts in 2013 where instead of retiring, Pope Benedict calls for a new Crusade to restore the Kingdom of Jerusalem and starts a hellwar between Israel and South America...

...culminating in Israel deploying the Samson Option as the unending tides of Brazilians and Argies overtake Tel Aviv. It's all billed as a prequel to the CK2 After The End mod.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

trapped mouse posted:

This is a pro click. He seems to know the game better than I anticipated and he even actually edits somewhat well.

There's two more links to early access let's play in the description too. One does Rome, one does Carthage. Neither are the best LP I have seen (the Rome one is pretty obnoxious), but they all seem to try their best to explain the mechanics, I feel ready for my first game already :getin:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Here's quill18's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3ZNNnxnWQ

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Watching the videos I think it would be cool to have an "expansion planner"-style screen that summarises the alliances, pacts, strengths etc. of your immediate neighbours. EU4 diplomatic webs get complicated enough but this is going to be way worse with the huge number of hard-to-remember states. The streamers are spending a lot of time clicking around the diplomacy screens trying to keep track.

I'm also a bit disappointed that the diplomat travel cooldown timer between diplomatic actions is back. I never understood the point of that. It's long enough to be annoying but doesn't seem long enough to really affect gameplay in any way. Maybe I'm missing something.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Magissima posted:

It is still the case

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fuf posted:

Watching the videos I think it would be cool to have an "expansion planner"-style screen that summarises the alliances, pacts, strengths etc. of your immediate neighbours. EU4 diplomatic webs get complicated enough but this is going to be way worse with the huge number of hard-to-remember states. The streamers are spending a lot of time clicking around the diplomacy screens trying to keep track.

This would actually be amazing, paradox take note. Should be easy to jam a new map mode in in a couple weeks right?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Should be easy to jam a new map mode in in a couple weeks right?

Actually I guess the diplomatic map mode already kinda does what I'm asking for...

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fuf posted:

Actually I guess the diplomatic map mode already kinda does what I'm asking for...

Would be nice to see strengths of armies and navies, and stuff too though, maybe fort locations, like literally a “I’m looking to declare a war, who can I beat up?” kinda map mode

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im watching a gameplay stream of the imperator rome and it just looks like a straight up remake of EU: Rome, which was a terrible boring game. why are they doing this. what are the actual differences?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

EU: Rome, why are they doing this.

Because unlike Vickie 3, this will sell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I was tentatively optimistic about Imperator until the recent dev stream where they had a bunch of house rules in a, uh, dev stream, and then some of the streamers who received builds of the game described it as a "very early" build of the game, even though it's 2 weeks out from release. :smith:

I guess the fact Paradox isn't hiding it or anything like that is grounds for tentative optimism, but we'll see.