Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How would that ever go though? Someone could say "I think shot X looked cool" and you could just say "nah, it's stupid looking" infinitely. Like any of the thor ragnarok album cover inspired shots are stuff that people liked, but no one is going to be able to like, convince you if you wanna start on "no it all sucks".

Anyone just making up dumb excuses why a good shot is secretly bad is going to be immediately obvious tho. It's also not about shots you "liked" or trying to
"convince" anyone, but posting shots that are technically well achieved. In something like Thor: Ragnarok for example you're going to have the crappy Marvel house color grading to contend with, but teagone had a really good post on the previous page that used Thor 1 as a positive example, and then there was also the deleted scene from T:R that everyone agreed had better color grading, so it's not like this is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm the guy who thinks Marvel films look alright to good

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

RBA Starblade posted:

Some of them look good. Iron Man 2, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk. It's post-Avengers that things start to get dire.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Guy A. Person posted:

Anyone just making up dumb excuses why a good shot is secretly bad is going to be immediately obvious tho. It's also not about shots you "liked" or trying to
"convince" anyone, but posting shots that are technically well achieved. In something like Thor: Ragnarok for example you're going to have the crappy Marvel house color grading to contend with,

Like I said, multiple people have said the thor album cover inspired scenes (the valkyrie flashback, the dragon and the god of thunder jumping stuff) have are good shots. But it's not like there is some critical mass where an opinion can become objective fact if a specific number of reviewers say it so if you just wanna say "no the colors suck, they are bad and dumb" no one is really going to be able to out argue you on if you like them or not.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

That's fine! It's just that there are dozens of great examples that show how Marvel movies are lazy and don't live up to their blockbuster quality. Marvel cuts a lot of corners on these films and that is disappointing. They could be better and should be.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I said come in! posted:

That's fine! It's just that there are dozens of great examples that show how Marvel movies are lazy and don't live up to their blockbuster quality. Marvel cuts a lot of corners on these films and that is disappointing. They could be better and should be.

Yeah. It would be weird if we ragged on them at the rate we do if they were on the popularity level of say, Resident Evil films. They're the biggest, most popular movies out there and yet most of them are shot like early 2000s television.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Detective No. 27 posted:

...early 2000s television.

Do you think maaaaaaaaaaybe this has to do with AVENGERS being the baseline and the pedigree of the VISIONARY behind that boredom soup of a movie?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LesterGroans posted:

Some of them look good. Iron Man 2, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk. It's post-Avengers that things start to get dire.

Yeah, every Phase 1 film except Avengers looks really good compared to everything else in the MCU.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like I said, multiple people have said the thor album cover inspired scenes (the valkyrie flashback, the dragon and the god of thunder jumping stuff) have are good shots. But it's not like there is some critical mass where an opinion can become objective fact if a specific number of reviewers say it so if you just wanna say "no the colors suck, they are bad and dumb" no one is really going to be able to out argue you on if you like them or not.

Art is always open to interpretation. Plenty of people also don't really interpret film as an artform and instead prefer to ingest it more as a platform for entertainment. How a movie looks doesn't really mean that much to someone just wanting to have a good time and engage with a good story featuring good characters. And that's cool. But there is a difference in the level of craftsmanship with films that show a deep care in how its aesthetic is handled. Like, you can't really compare the visual artistry of a lovely comedy movie to something like Interstellar. I mean, you could, but that would be dumb imo.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm pretty sure people have said at least the Valkyrie flashback shot is really good? I remember people liking it at the time, I certainly like it, it would be cool to see it posted. The question was about how the conversation would go and you're immediately jumping to "it would go bad so gently caress it, not going to try", assuming nobody can ever post in good faith.

Also nobody said "no the colors suck, they are bad and dumb", that is a super reductive take on the legitimate arguments made in the video teagone posted (which itself even called several scenes/shots good).

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Daddy Thanos posted:

Imagine all the avengers backing up into their ships doing the settle down hand motion and saying "sorry. sorry. really sorry. won't happen again" and Captain marvel is making a really funny embarrassed face
Back it up. Back it up back it up back it up.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here's a couple shots I found to be at least decent in The Avengers from a while back. I think even SMG said "eh, yeah whatever".

That last shot is kind of neat because we've never seen Tony in that perspective in the suit before. So I'll give it credit for doing a new thing there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

Do you think maaaaaaaaaaybe this has to do with AVENGERS being the baseline and the pedigree of the VISIONARY behind that boredom soup of a movie?

That's absolutely one of the problems, and it didn't help that Whedon's replacement was a couple guys biggest credit up until Marvel was an episode of Arrested Development.

CelticPredator posted:

Here's a couple shots I found to be at least decent in The Avengers from a while back. I think even SMG said "eh, yeah whatever".

That last shot is kind of neat because we've never seen Tony in that perspective in the suit before. So I'll give it credit for doing a new thing there.

I like shots 2 and 4. With shot 3, I don't think there's enough contrast so it looks muddy. If I weren't at work and had a rip of BvS that wasn't Beavus, I'd post a screenshot of Superman in space during the nuke scene as a comparison.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah shot 2 is legitimately pretty good, he does some cool stuff with Iron Man in that film, which I guess makes sense since he was the most well established (and because he hosed Cap all the hell up hahaha).

Not a shot but I also really like Iron Man's introduction in Avengers. We see him in the suit doing something fantastic and cracking jokes to Pepper. We basically immediately get all the characterization you need from that. I was thinking about it in relation to some of the character introductions in IW, with the Guardians being easily the best and Tony himself being one of the worst (just straight up jogging with his fiance).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm pretty sure people have said at least the Valkyrie flashback shot is really good? I remember people liking it at the time, I certainly like it, it would be cool to see it posted. The question was about how the conversation would go and you're immediately jumping to "it would go bad so gently caress it, not going to try", assuming nobody can ever post in good faith.

Like there is a lot of shots that are widely praised as good shots, but if someone wants to say "no, they are bad shots" no one is going to really be able to do much about that. If someone has decided there is no good shots anyone expending effort is just going to "lose" the argument with the person saying it. because they aren't going to be able to objectively declare a shot good or bad to a person saying it's bad.

Like these are shots people liked:

But it's not like you can say "76 people liked it so it's good" or "youtube said the black isn't black so the shot is bad" and have that sway anyone on if they like a shot or dislike a shot.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like there is a lot of shots that are widely praised as good shots, but if someone wants to say "no, they are bad shots" no one is going to really be able to do much about that. If someone has decided there is no good shots anyone expending effort is just going to "lose" the argument with the person saying it. because they aren't going to be able to objectively declare a shot good or bad to a person saying it's bad.

But it's not like you can say "76 people liked it so it's good" or "youtube said the black isn't black so the shot is bad" and have that sway anyone on if they like a shot or dislike a shot.

Why are you making a bunch of posts trying to tell people that opinions are subjective? We know.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I think the Russo's are to blame for a lot of this stuff.

They're very competant, but safe, filmmakers.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, like, I like all of those shots. You're right you can't stop someone from posting dumb poo poo, but it seems defeatist to assume you're being trolled by bad faith posters who are just going to trick you into making an effort post then being like "nah that poo poo sucks" instead of posting an actual conversation. You don't need to worry about winning or losing, :justpost:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Being informed of different perspectives is the whole point of discourse.

These shots are well composed.

This shot is badly composed.

The difference is quite clear. You can totally make the badly composed shot look just a cool and competent as the above 3 action shots, but they didn't because I don't know why. Because it's not an action scene I guess.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

There's a part in the Civil War director commentary (I think during Peggy's funeral) where they joke about the intent behind some of the camera angles, before saying that actually there is no reason for the camera to be where it is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bedshaped posted:

The Russo brothers are basically journeymen. They don't have vision, they don't grasp scale. And why would they? They're loving sitcom directors.

It's like, oh, hey, Joss Whedon, who ran some quippy shows, he made some monumentally ugly movies that look like ... well, TV shows! Who would have thunk it?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

LesterGroans posted:

Why are you making a bunch of posts trying to tell people that opinions are subjective? We know.

Because the original thing was "no one ever rose to the challenge of producing a single really great shot from the Avengers" but lots of shots have gotten praised over the years. And of course you can say "well none of those were actually good" but you'd be able to do that going forward too, no matter what anyone found or what new movie came out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The easy argument to make about Ragnarok is that the rest of the film very deliberately does not look like that, because it would spoil the tone.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

teagone posted:

Being informed of different perspectives is the whole point of discourse.

These shots are well composed.

This shot is badly composed.

The difference is quite clear. You can totally make the badly composed shot look just a cool and competent as the above 3 action shots, but they didn't because I don't know why. Because it's not an action scene I guess.

it should be noted that, when interviewed for the director position for Black Widow, Lucrecia Martel was flat out told that she wouldn't have to worry about the action sequences. Marvel has guys in-house for that, and everything else is the realm of the actual director (which is a lot more about what they get out of actors, which is probably why the Russo's are successful, because they're good at eliciting performances, if not visual direction)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

it should be noted that, when interviewed for the director position for Black Widow, Lucrecia Martel was flat out told that she wouldn't have to worry about the action sequences. Marvel has guys in-house for that, and everything else is the realm of the actual director (which is a lot more about what they get out of actors, which is probably why the Russo's are successful, because they're good at eliciting performances, if not visual direction)

This combined with the fact that they have people doing CGI sequences before they even start shooting the movie.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
My advice to the avengers:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

Thor taking place in a fantasy/cosmic setting lends the in-house crew an advantage I guess; it's a lot easier to make things look cool when you can utilize the god of thunder and valkyries. Also makes sense why there are also choice shots in the GOTG films. And then you have poo poo like Civil War and Ant-Man 2 that's just boooooring visually, action scenes and all.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

How would that ever go though? Someone could say "I think shot X looked cool" and you could just say "nah, it's stupid looking" infinitely. Like any of the thor ragnarok album cover inspired shots are stuff that people liked, but no one is going to be able to like, convince you if you wanna start on "no it all sucks".

That isn't what happened last time, though. People broke down why it didn't quite work and sugested cropping that made it work. Specifically for the first Avengers, it turned out the whole movie was in the wrong aspect ratio (for IMAX, i think) and as soon as you put the black bars on it, it looked a thousand times better.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The middle shot is superb, and is notable for being very atypical. The rest of the film doesn't look like that.

The other two are fine. There's a bit too much empty space in the first for my taste, but it looks pretty good.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Snowman_McK posted:

That isn't what happened last time, though. People broke down why it didn't quite work and sugested cropping that made it work. Specifically for the first Avengers, it turned out the whole movie was in the wrong aspect ratio (for IMAX, i think) and as soon as you put the black bars on it, it looked a thousand times better.

Like, out of 16 movies you can't even find one single shot you like then odds are that you are just deciding you simply could not lower yourself to liking a shot from a movie you considered vulgar and beneath you. Like saying there is not enough good shots or whatever is one thing, but saying that it's some unfilled challenge that no one has satisfied you on is crazy. You could watch 16 movies worth of cat food commercials and find at least one great camera shot just by cameraman luck. Saying you can't find even one is just saying you have decided there can't be one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, out of 16 movies you can't even find one single shot you like then odds are that you are just deciding you simply could not lower yourself to liking a shot from a movie you considered vulgar and beneath you. Like saying there is not enough good shots or whatever is one thing, but saying that it's some unfilled challenge that no one has satisfied you on is crazy. You could watch 16 movies worth of cat food commercials and find at least one great camera shot just by cameraman luck. Saying you can't find even one is just saying you have decided there can't be one.

Okay. Now read the post you're quoting and respond to that instead of your imagined idea of what the conversation is

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Multiple people are saying several of the shots posted from the various Marvel movies are good. I don't see what the issue is.

I also forgot about the cropping thing with Avengers, that was cool. It's fun discussing the craft of these movies.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Marvel's The Avengers is one movie, not 16

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Snowman_McK posted:

Okay. Now read the post you're quoting and respond to that instead of your imagined idea of what the conversation is

Yeah, lol. I felt really lost reading this whole exchange.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Captain America 1 is (disclaimer: in my IMO) the best looking Marvel Cinematic Universe (TM) (C) movie, IMO. This poo poo is just cinematic af. I mean, it's just really cool. The newer MCU movies aren't nearly as cool. Rule of cool don't @ me.

And also, we get some extra juicy Chris Evans which, hell, nobody can deny is pleasurable to the eye:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love the shot of Red Skull’s car pulling into the frame with that dope as gently caress hydra logo on the hood.

Captain America is well shot but the camera they used is ugly digital crap. But it doesn’t ruin it for me.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Owlmans ranting at strawmen aside,"cool" mcu shots are usually nott mentioned cause they ugly as heck

Having said that, those shots from cap1 look pretty sweet. Also hugo weaving chewing scenery is always cool

Also also, I like how they greased up Chris so he looks even hotter

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

Also also, I like how they greased up Chris so he looks even hotter

It comes up a lot but the handsome buff punchmans are not putting on nearly enough gunshows in these films. We've got Captain America 1 and 2 (the chopper scene counts), Man of Steel (I think?), Beavis, and that's about it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Thor 1 also had at least one fairly extended beefcake sequence.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Snowman_McK posted:

The middle shot is superb, and is notable for being very atypical. The rest of the film doesn't look like that.

The other two are fine. There's a bit too much empty space in the first for my taste, but it looks pretty good.

IIRC a new way of digitally "lighting" effects shots was invented and used for the first time in that middle shot's flashback scene which is why it stood out so much.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This is one of my favorite moments in any MCU movie because this is set up like the scene we've seen in a million movies where the bad guy speeds off and the good guy fires wildly at them but they are too fast and far away and everything about this moment is set up exactly like that. But then instead right after that shot it cuts to her headshotting the driver without issue. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's been a while since I've seen the film, but I remember that foot chase after the guy sabotages the lab being a really good, well-shot action setpiece.