Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1116008519130669058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West007
Apr 21, 2013

I forgot Sanchez was at United, is he injured again?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

He's got one of those degenerative back conditions caused by sitting on the bench for long periods with a fat wallet in his back pocket

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

West007 posted:

I forgot Sanchez was at United, is he injured again?

Yeah he did his knee a month or so ago and people were speculating at the time that it could be bad enough to effectively end his United career.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
thats a shame, great player to watch. sorry it didnt click for him in the theatre of dreams

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Poor Pinkus. Poor little Pinkus.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Breath Ray posted:

thats a shame, great player to watch. sorry it didnt click for him in the theatre of dreams

It would be pretty interesting to hear a candid account of just what the gently caress has happened. Based on Solskjaer's comments it's not just a case of him being done physically or something. "Only Alexis can tell you what's going on with Alexis" etc.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
what’s the best XI of players like Sanchez or Drinkwater

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

hadji murad posted:

what’s the best XI of players like Sanchez or Drinkwater

It’s just Winston Bogarde playing all outfield positions and Stuart Taylor in goal

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

When is the earliest Cardiff could be relegated?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

probably quarter to five, I can't see them getting the early game

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

in seriousness, from looking at it they could potentially go down at home to liverpool on the 21st (game 35), but it'd need the four teams above them to all be at 38 points or better by then

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rip spurs in the top 4

quote:

Here's the Spurs statement: "Following assessment over the past two days, we can confirm that Harry Kane has sustained a significant lateral ligament injury to his left ankle following a challenge in our Champions League quarter-final, first leg win against Manchester City.

"Investigations are ongoing and he will continue to be assessed by our medical staff over the coming week."

And there's more...

"We can also confirm that examinations have revealed that Dele Alli fractured his left hand during Tuesday's fixture.

"The England midfielder will now be assessed to determine his availability for this weekend's fixture against Huddersfield Town."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How many ankle injuries has Kane had now

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

It really does feel like this will be Poch's best job yet if they somehow end up in the top 4.

Really RIP Spurs in the return leg.

He is on like 4 I think between the two ankles

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

rip spurs in the top 4

They can beat a relegated side without either, and won all their PL matches without Kane, didn't they?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

They can beat a relegated side without either, and won all their PL matches without Kane, didn't they?

It's just probably how much they will have left in truth. They should beat a dead Huddersfield, but City in the league after whatever happens next week is tough. Brighton and Bournemouth should be doable, but West Ham will be up for a derby and Everton probably want to finish in European spots. Hopefully everyone else remains trash.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

gtkor posted:

It's just probably how much they will have left in truth. They should beat a dead Huddersfield, but City in the league after whatever happens next week is tough. Brighton and Bournemouth should be doable, but West Ham will be up for a derby and Everton probably want to finish in European spots. Hopefully everyone else remains trash.

West Ham is never a pushover for Tottenham. Neither is Everton. Those will be tight (read: disappointing last minute losses)

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Cannon_Fodder posted:

West Ham is never a pushover for Tottenham. Neither is Everton. Those will be tight (read: disappointing last minute losses)

Yeah, levels of confidence are pretty low at the moment. I am basically Sissoko 2v1 levels of enthusiastic at this point.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
You just can't sustain the level of press without more people. We'll be feeling these loving injuries for at least a couple years.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Probably not helping Kane that he's got a lot of minutes on the clock already at his age and he's a big lad. That's a lot of impact on soft tissues. See: Wilshere, Jack

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
When does the Harry Kane-Peters prototype activate?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Bundy posted:

Probably not helping Kane that he's got a lot of minutes on the clock already at his age and he's a big lad. That's a lot of impact on soft tissues. See: Wilshere, Jack

That Wilshire lad, an absolute unit.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gtkor posted:

Eh, United still has to play City and Chelsea, I think the Tots have a good chance to stay in Top 4

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bundy posted:

Mileage is that stat that everyone always begrudgingly accepts when a star falls apart sometime in their early 30s or earlier, playing in the top tier since they were 17-18

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I'm sure constantly coming back from ankle injuries ahead of schedule haven't helped things either

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That Wilshire lad, an absolute unit.

please go easy on ninpo, he has severe learning disabilities that weve all agreed to overlook

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
seriously how did javier zanetti do it? what a loving phenomenon he was

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

he wants gently caress all but ashley still won't give it to him despite the massive amounts of tv money

https://twitter.com/lee_ryder/status/1116813216670199808

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The BBC contacted sports psychologist Dr. Steve Peters, who helped Team GB's cycling team in the Olympics and Liverpool in 2013-2014 for more thoughts on how to bottle and how to avoid it.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47889242

quote:

In terms of coping with the pressure, Peters said there is no one-fits-all answer for players, but that, just like they would with the physical and tactical sides of the game, there should be a mental preparation.

"It's no different psychologically. You look at all eventualities and then start making plans for that which work for you so you are not caught off guard," he said.

"For most people in sports psychology, we'd advise that you actually focus on just the process of what you are doing rather than an outcome and whether you are going to win or lose.

"That is the ideal because your maximum chance of getting somewhere is to just focus on the process and not the consequences.

quote:

City boss Pep Guardiola has described his team as a "machine", which Peters said is "a perfect example".

"It's a good way of looking at it," Peters said. "You just expect the machine to run - just keep oiling it - rather than start to think, 'What could happen? We might get exhausted. We might get mentally tired.'

"That's not really that helpful. It's much more helpful to have a positive outlook, say this is the plan and follow the plan."

For those of you who have read a lot of player memoirs, does that match what various dynastic players and managers have described? It makes sense to me. I also think it's what really got in Gerrard's head back in 2013-2014.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Parity warning posted:

seriously how did javier zanetti do it? what a loving phenomenon he was

It seems like ruthless professionalism had a lot to do with it. The guy apparently wasn't into the usual destructive habits that hampers many footballers.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2018/12/12/javier-zanetti-il-capitano/

It's a lot to ask most 18-22 year old guys at the beginning of their physical peak to live like monks, though.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Diet obviously plays a role in recovery, there's work going on with Peter Brukner and the Australian cricket team (non cheat related lol) comparing recovery on modified low carb/keto style diets vs the potentially inflammatory high glucose intake/glucose packets/lucozade drink/pasta type fueling that you see in most mainstream sports. https://vernerwheelock.com/163-low-carb-helps-aussie-cricketers-to-improve-performance/

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Is Harry Kane going to be his sides top goal scorer this season without having scored at his own stadium?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if brighton lose to cardiff i reckon they'll go down.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Total Meatlove posted:

Is Harry Kane going to be his sides top goal scorer this season without having scored at his own stadium?

Son might catch him, but it is still pretty wild

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

gtkor posted:

Son might catch him, but it is still pretty wild

in 2025 itll be a pub quiz trick question and i will still hate pub quizzes

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Today was Arsenal's 1st clean sheet of the season.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

sticksy posted:

Today was Arsenal's 1st clean sheet of the season.

Away. It was their first clean sheet away of the season.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What, exactly, is wrong with Liverpool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Absolutely nothing!