Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Can’t afford typewriter ink. :hmmyes:

You should kickstart a book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Guarantee that if anybody asks what his job is, he was a " coder or engineer " because those are the only two jobs that Reddit thinks pay a lot even though starting salaries for those jobs are not $57456367577/year like bezos promised

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PostNouveau posted:

You should kickstart a book

“How to live on $7 a day and still get chased by mad pussy”

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for wearing a Star of David necklace when I'm not Jewish (religiously or biologically)

Just letting y'all know that Messianic Judaism/Jews for Jesus is an anti-Semitic scam cult and everyone, Christians and Jews alike, hate them. I hope she gives her co-worker the finger because she's an rear end in a top hat and a terrible person.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

QuarkJets posted:

lol what the gently caress is happening here

AITA For exposing my daughters culinary fraud? ...

Jesus Christ, what was the daughters long game? What happens when mom dies?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

“How to live on $7 a day and still get chased by mad pussy”

People need to know

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

areyoucontagious posted:

"You know what? I'm sick of doing all the cooking in this home! It's time for you step up husband!"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Just letting y'all know that Messianic Judaism/Jews for Jesus is an anti-Semitic scam cult and everyone, Christians and Jews alike, hate them.
:stare: that's uh

that's quite an assertion you're making there

care to back that up in any way?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PostNouveau posted:

People need to know

I never had filthy drifter sex in my van and I feel like I missed out but then I’m like nah that thing would have stunk to high hell for days. :clint:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i think i'm somehow related to one of the Jews for Jesus guys. or some other similar organization

and yeah it's pretty crazy

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Jews for Jesus has always been some weird rear end cult. They started getting popular in the 60s. "Messianic Judaism" makes them sound like a normal denomination but they really aren't.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Messianic Judaism is Christians cosplaying as Jews; there’s nothing actually “Jewish” about them except that they are both Abrahamic religions. No Jewish sects consider them anything but Christians.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Yawgmoth posted:

Messianic Judaism's core belief is that the Jews killed Jesus and should pay for their sins. How isn't that anti-Semitic bullshit? Also the main Jews for Jesus organization is widely known for aggressively proselytizing (which actual Jews never do) and scamming unsuspecting people into forking over money like they're a cult. They're horrid people.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 11, 2019

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

r/relationships
I [23M] am really into the thought of my GF [23F] dressing up for me during sex.
u/Came_Naller

I know this is old but please, OP, dump this impossibly boring prude for whom the idea of wearing shoes is "too adventurous"

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yawgmoth posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/politics/messianic-jewish-rabbi-vice-president-pence/index.html
I'm sure you can continue researching from there.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
In no way shape or form did the $900k guy say that he saved up that money by "being frugal," or even that he earned all of the money himself. He just stated that he lives frugally & doesn't spend his money because he plans to retire early.

Also despite them being on the whole a terrible investment/total scam even I know a few people who made 5-6 figures on Bitcoins through no effort at all.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

It’s an old joke that the only thing that two Jews will ever agree on is that Messianic Judaism is bad.

and it’s true, even Reform Judaism, which is the most ecumenical, permissive and secular among mainstream denominations, is still opposed to Messianic organizations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

charity rereg posted:

I know a few people who made 5-6 figures on Bitcoins through no effort at all.
Do they have this money in hand or is it on paper? I thought it was really tough to pull that much actual cash from bitcoin.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

HIJK posted:

I think it a user named Blue Stories or something over in E/N that had ridiculously good income but she and her husband constantly blew everything on collecting endless Star Wars toys to the point that they had to buy a house in Seattle to hold them all because they filled entire rooms with that crap. They also exclusively ate take out food and when Blue Stories got pregnant she refused to change her diet and her baby was born premature with listeria because she had basically poisoned him by refusing take prenatal vitamins and folic acid supplements.

She justified everything by saying “We have plenty of money.” As far as I know the kid is growing up surrounded by Star Wars toys with a dad that has an “allergy” to vegetables and throws up whenever he tastes them, and a mom that can’t stop inhaling McDonalds.

I wonder what their money situation is now.

pretty sure she was banned before she actually had the baby but either way the listeria thing was just people in the thread freaking out about her "froofy sandwiches" and i dont think ever actually happened. the rest of the details are p accurate from what i remember, although she was also obsessed with kids in the hall and a bunch of other stuff from her childhood on top of her husbands star wars toy addiction

e: heres the thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722319

e2 drat i guess the baby was born and was premature. reminds me about how the husband was going to refuse to be in the delivery room too and she was cool with it

Gone Fashing fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 11, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

areyoucontagious posted:

My mom taught me to cook and now cooking at all makes me too sad.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Messianic Judaism's core belief is that the Jews killed Jesus and should pay for their sins. How isn't that anti-Semitic bullshit? Also the main Jews for Jesus organization is widely known for aggressively proselytizing (which actual Jews never do) and scamming unsuspecting people into forking over money like they're a cult. They're horrid people.
I literally had no idea about any of this. One of my coworkers is, if not this, then some manner of "jews for jesus" but won't ever come out and say what kind, just that "it's a combination of judaism and christianity" and leaves it at that if ever asked why he leaves early on fridays in winter. He seems normal enough but I guess I shouldn't/am not that surprised since a lot of my coworkers seem decent enough until I talk to them about anything with any depth. :sigh:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

I literally had no idea about any of this. One of my coworkers is, if not this, then some manner of "jews for jesus" but won't ever come out and say what kind, just that "it's a combination of judaism and christianity" and leaves it at that if ever asked why he leaves early on fridays in winter. He seems normal enough but I guess I shouldn't/am not that surprised since a lot of my coworkers seem decent enough until I talk to them about anything with any depth. :sigh:

i mean there's a word for "a combination of Judaism and Christianity", it's "Christianity"

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for bailing on my friends wedding because I can't bring my girlfriend?

A close friend of mine is getting married, and I got my invitation to attend. I didn't get an invitation for my girlfriend, but I just figured she would be included as my guest. When I rang my friend to RSVP for the wedding, he said that my girlfriend couldn't come if she wasn't given an invite. I asked why she wasn't given an invite and he said it was because we hadn't been together long enough for her to be considered an automatic invite.

For context, we have been together for almost 2 months now. It pisses me off because all of my friends will have their partners there. I told him that if my girlfriend isn't good enough for an invite, then neither was I, and said I wouldn't be coming. My friend got quite upset at me for this and told me I was being silly. He said they could try and squeeze her in if it meant so much to me, but I told him to shove it. I don't want her to be thought of as just an afterthought or an inconvenience.

A bunch of my friends are upset with me now. They are upset that I won't be there (we don't get to see each other too often anymore) and that I was potentially burning bridges over something so insignificant. My girlfriend said she is ok with not being able to go, but for me, it's the principal of the matter.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for standing firm on this?

EDIT: To clarify, for those suggesting otherwise, the couple HAVE met her twice before, and they got on well. Particularly his fiance.

Also, for those saying +1s are only for couples together more than a year, I know for a fact that 2 of my friends who have only been in relationships for around 4-5 months, BOTH got automatic invites for their significant others. Neither of them live together. My relationship apparently falls under some bullshit cutoff timeframe.

EDIT 2: I get it, I'm an rear end in a top hat. If only the invites came out a month later, because then we would count as a 'real relationship' apparently and she would probably get an invite.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA For causing a father/veteran to miss his daughters dance recital?

So some quick backstory and sorry for any mistakes, I’m on mobile. I work as an usher at an auditorium. It’s a pretty laid back job and we’re often just tasked with making sure the patrons are following the rules. There are the rules that we set, like no food and drinks and the rules that the clients set, like seating.

Today we were hosting a full day of adjudicated dance recitals, and the client hosting the event asked that the first two row closest to the stage be blocked off so no one could sit there. The dancers sometimes preformed off the front of the stage and if we didn’t have it blocked off, parents would of course be clamoring around right at the edge of the stage and it had the possibility of disturbing the dancers. We also had to block off some middle rows so the adjudicator could have their privacy and we ran out of the rope barriers that we normally use. This means we had to improvise and we used some long strips of tape to block off the rows. We also put of signs asking people to not sit in the first two rows.

Enter mom, dad, brother, and sister. So I’m doing my thing, and keeping my eye out into the audience and I notice the two little kids wandering. Now it wasn’t super full and they were just wandering up and down the row they were sitting in so I didn’t really care. Soon after though, the little boy (maybe 5 or 6) left his parents, went under the tape and sat right in front of the stage. Now I started to pay a little more attention now and saw the boy start to move around and bounce up and down a little.

So I quietly go up to the father (who I now see is wearing a military uniform) and politely ask him if it’s possible to move his son out of the front row. I explain that our client requested that they be empty. He seems annoyed but begrudgingly goes and tries to bring his son back to where they were sitting. Well the dad barely said anything to the little guy before he throws a huge tantrum. The dad then scooped him up and took him outside.

Well as I found out from overhearing their later conversation, not ten seconds after the dad left the chamber to deal with his son, their daughter who they were there to see dance, comes onstage with her group. And then finished the dance just before the father returned. His wife picked up the other daughter and they both mumbled angrily under their breath about how he missed his daughter dancing because of the tantrum and all because the staff that asked him to move his son. As he walked past me to the exit, he gave me a look that was so cold, it lowered the temperature in the auditorium.

So reddit... am I the rear end in a top hat for causing the chain of events that meant this dad missed his daughters dance recital?

this is in Canada

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think if a friend is close enough for you to give a poo poo about them coming to your wedding they're probably close enough to get a blanket +1 (unless it's a really small wedding or something, but that doesn't sound like the case here.) If you can't trust them to use appropriate discretion on who to bring then maybe you should reconsider your friendship :shrug:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

I think if a friend is close enough for you to give a poo poo about them coming to your wedding they're probably close enough to get a +1. If you can't trust them to use appropriate discretion on who to bring then maybe you should reconsider your friendship :shrug:

In this case it turns out they were right to not give the +1. Because it showed that this "friend" is a garbage person and the only one in the story, including his girlfriend, who is the slightest bit surprised or upset about this very normal and average thing that happened.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I never understood this. Like who cares? It's supposed to be a fun party, and this guy would probably have more fun with his new girl there. Are they afraid she's going to make a scene? Do they resent paying for someone who is essentially a stranger? Why make a weird arbitrary cutoff for relationship timelines? God, how loving stupid. Just don't go, man. Those people are assholes.

Americans especially take weddings way too loving seriously. People go apeshit over the most minute banal garbage.

Motronic posted:

In this case it turns out they were right to not give the +1. Because it showed that this "friend" is a garbage person and the only one in the story, including his girlfriend, who is the slightest bit surprised or upset about this very normal and average thing that happened.

Nah. It's super weird to put arbitrary loving times on relationships. "Sorry dude," says Relationship Cop, "you have a two-month relationship in a 4-month wedding cutoff. Can't bring her." I'd understand not wanting him to bring a stranger, but as it is they basically forced him to make his new girlfriend feel like poo poo for no reason.

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 11, 2019

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Wedding's are expensive, and also not about you. Yes, you are the rear end in a top hat.

areyoucontagious posted:

I never understood this. Like who cares? It's supposed to be a fun party, and this guy would probably have more fun with his new girl there. Are they afraid she's going to make a scene? Do they resent paying for someone who is essentially a stranger? Why make a weird arbitrary cutoff for relationship timelines? God, how loving stupid. Just don't go, man. Those people are assholes.

Americans especially take weddings way too loving seriously. People go apeshit over the most minute banal garbage.

Why should they have to pay hundreds of dollars to feed a bunch of people who won't be there in a years time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For causing a father/veteran to miss his daughters dance recital?

this is in Canada

This is all part of having children. Sometimes you miss stuff as a result. They could have stopped at 1.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

yeah, I skimmed it and missed the part where the groom was willing to try to accommodate the +1 and the OP was still a whiny pissbaby about it

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Straight White Shark posted:

yeah, I skimmed it and missed the part where the groom was willing to try to accommodate the +1 and the OP was still a whiny pissbaby about it

oh gently caress I got milkshake duck'd too, my bad

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Biohazard posted:

Wedding's are expensive, and also not about you. Yes, you are the rear end in a top hat.

Why should they have to pay hundreds of dollars to feed a bunch of people who won't be there in a years time.

why pay hundreds of dollars at all. If you're paying hundreds of dollars for an extra person you've made stupid mistakes. Weddings that cost tens of thousands of dollars might seem fun on paper but god, that money could go to a house or something!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (24F) boyfriend’s (24M) intern (19F) drew on him at work, I think it’s inappropriate.
A little background

TDLR - Boyfriend allowed his intern to draw on his arm at work. He did not feel that it was inappropriate but I feel like it crossed boundaries.

OP is absolutely correct that the intern was flirting and that BF should not have allowed it but

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (24F) boyfriend’s (24M) intern (19F) drew on him at work, I think it’s inappropriate.
A little background

My boyfriend has been working at a startup company since September 2018. He works as a game developer. We’ve been dating for 6+ months and have established that touching others of the opposite gender (more than a hug or friendly gestures) is a no no. I’ve never questioned his female friendships or had doubts about his loyalty. I’ve always tried to support and encourage his friendships.

The situation

My boyfriend and I had gone out for date night last night and then back to his place. When we were getting ready for bed, I noticed that he had doodles on his arm; I asked him why they were there and he told me that his intern had doodled on him at work earlier. I never had issues/suspicions about his friendship with his intern prior to this situation. I told him that I found it inappropriate and I felt that it crossed boundaries. He told me that he did not believe he did anything wrong because he did not touch her, and that she was the person who drew on him. He told me that he had no ill intent whatsoever and did not see this interaction as anything more than friendship. I told him that I felt disrespected that he would allow her to touch/draw on him like that, and that the last place I believe it should happen was at work. He told me that I did not understand his friendship with her and that it was nothing serious or worrisome. I told him that she was flirting with him but he did not think she was being flirty. He emphasized that people would doodle onc each other in high school or younger, and I told him that is exactly it, you would not draw on someone when you are a grown adult and at work unless you’re flirting. He apologized but I still felt disappointed and disrespected. I would never doodle on someone at work (I am currently unemployed), let alone, a man who has a girlfriend. She knows that he is taken. Am I wrong to feel this way? I’ve never been in this situation before so I would appreciate some opinions, thank you for reading! :)

TDLR - Boyfriend allowed his intern to draw on his arm at work. He did not feel that it was inappropriate but I feel like it crossed boundaries.

...this one is just a whole crockpot full of insecurities

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

tactlessbastard posted:

OP is absolutely correct that the intern was flirting and that BF should not have allowed it but

...this one is just a whole crockpot full of insecurities

I thought he got a gun pulled on him from the title.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'll take a sixer if this is too off topic but since we're posting those laconic tweets interstitially, this tweet also reminded me of this thread.
https://twitter.com/NBCNewYork/status/1116453400533712896

OPENING THE RELATIONSHIP: A TALE AS OLD AS TIME

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Okay so I don't quote think the guy in the wedding scenario is wrong-- I thought a blanket +1 was the norm for friends-- but LOL at "we've been together two whole months!" My dude that's the blink of an eye and I can see with your level of immaturity maybe that's why they don't trust your +1 selecting skills.

There's a lot that's left unsaid, like does this dude date a ton of people for really short times, did the other couple that's been together for five months know each other a while first, etc.

God I can't wait for my backyard bonfire and taco truck wedding.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Biohazard posted:

that's why i didn't invite grandma

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Smirking_Serpent posted:

A close friend of mine is getting married, and I got my invitation to attend. I didn't get an invitation for my girlfriend, but I just figured she would be included as my guest. When I rang my friend to RSVP for the wedding, he said that my girlfriend couldn't come if she wasn't given an invite. I asked why she wasn't given an invite and he said it was because we hadn't been together long enough for her to be considered an automatic invite.

For context, we have been together for almost 2 months now. It pisses me off because all of my friends will have their partners there. I told him that if my girlfriend isn't good enough for an invite, then neither was I, and said I wouldn't be coming. My friend got quite upset at me for this and told me I was being silly. He said they could try and squeeze her in if it meant so much to me, but I told him to shove it. I don't want her to be thought of as just an afterthought or an inconvenience.

A bunch of my friends are upset with me now. They are upset that I won't be there (we don't get to see each other too often anymore) and that I was potentially burning bridges over something so insignificant. My girlfriend said she is ok with not being able to go, but for me, it's the principal of the matter.

Am I the rear end in a top hat for standing firm on this?

EDIT: To clarify, for those suggesting otherwise, the couple HAVE met her twice before, and they got on well. Particularly his fiance.

Also, for those saying +1s are only for couples together more than a year, I know for a fact that 2 of my friends who have only been in relationships for around 4-5 months, BOTH got automatic invites for their significant others. Neither of them live together. My relationship apparently falls under some bullshit cutoff timeframe.

EDIT 2: I get it, I'm an rear end in a top hat. If only the invites came out a month later, because then we would count as a 'real relationship' apparently and she would probably get an invite.

everyone’s an rear end in a top hat here, the OP is an rear end in a top hat for not being more graceful to his friends and politely turning the invite down. his friends are also assholes for trying to say his relationship isn’t “real” enough to warrant an invite because of some arbitrary cut off. its kinda :psyduck: for them not to provide a +1 invite especially when the contrast is so vivid.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I guess for me I didn't have any friends come to my wedding that I didn't trust to not abuse their +1 privileges. I mean, if I had a good friend (that didn't jump into lovely relationships with regularity like Scathach just noted), I don't think I'd care if their +1 was two months or six. I might raise an eyebrow at "I just met this great girl/guy...." but otherwise who cares? It just seems like such a silly issue. This is all academic, of course, because it seems like the OP in question actually is genuinely an immature rear end, but in a vacuum, I think balking at 2mo. is silly. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Some people just don't want to take the risk on a tinder slut embarassing themselves and causing a scene