Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Strudel Man posted:

Basically, yes, it's great being insane.

The most amazing thing to come out of my shattered randomised world mod (Zunists in Francia is a wonderful gameplay combination) was my double amputee one-eyed disfigured immortal ruler who, between his second and third Legendary Journey, decided to hold a masquerade ball...

Spoiler for Lunatic event option: And declared, after the ball was over, that the masks would be staying on FOREVER. And amazingly, all of his vassals afterwards did just that. Totally worth the -30 'insane ruler' relationship modifier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anticheese posted:

The most amazing thing to come out of my shattered randomised world mod (Zunists in Francia is a wonderful gameplay combination) was my double amputee one-eyed disfigured immortal ruler who, between his second and third Legendary Journey, decided to hold a masquerade ball...

Spoiler for Lunatic event option: And declared, after the ball was over, that the masks would be staying on FOREVER. And amazingly, all of his vassals afterwards did just that. Totally worth the -30 'insane ruler' relationship modifier!
Hah. That's great. I've only seen the masquerade once, and I guess I wasn't insane at the time. Apparently you can do it if you're envious, too. (It then has a 50% chance of giving you Lunatic)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

How do Great Works get triggered?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Not sure what you mean. You build them. The button to bring up the menu is a new one in the province view, a little circle with a sort of triangular shape inside.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

You can find the same button on the character screen to get to that leader's owned great works.

I did a lazy 769 Norse -> hoover up cash and all the Christian artifacts -> invade somewhere profitable experiment with a university on the capital and a great harbor on a vassal merchant republic to see how the great works change things. +1050% retinue cap and over 100 gold per month as a European feudal lord before year 1000 is pretty nice. I eventually took Rome, too, to see what the royal palace does.

With those three, I only thought the obvious buffs were worth the gold I'd be spending in a run where money was tight. Some of the unlockable interactions were buggy (talk to someone in the royal bedroom) or flavorless (send someone beer for opinion), and the unlocked minor titles seem to be extremely expensive +5 opinion boosts. The only event I saw was one from the university, where you can find a couple hundred gold on success. Some of the other ones sound more fun, but I think I'll wait for the next patch to try them out.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jedit posted:

How do Great Works get triggered?

you go into their safe space and just say the things we're all thinking

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

No Pants posted:

Some of the unlockable interactions were buggy (talk to someone in the royal bedroom)
Yeah, that one's bugged because of a wrong-scope issue in the trigger of the event it fires. LT_wonder_flavor_events.txt, LT.20405,
code:
	trigger = {
		event_target:target_wonder = {
			wonder_owner = {
				character = FROM
			}
		}
	}
Should be FROMFROM. Or really, the entire trigger block shouldn't exist at all; it's unnecessary when the event can only be fired in the first place if it's true and has almost immediate effect. There's been a couple issues with paradox breaking events because of miscoded, unnecessary triggers; the duelist bloodline was blocked off because of that for a while.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I'm playing a Shattered Worlds save and when I do the 'expand new holding' event it generates the holding but it's completely greyed out and I can't interact with it. Trying to google the problem leads to posts from 4 years ago. Is that event just broken on SW?

You mean the event that adds a new holding slot to a province, right?

Are all the other holding slots in that province filled with cities/churches/castles? If not, one of the other slots should have a green border and give you the building option when you click on it. The new holding slot event just raises the province's cap, you still need to fill the other slots in before you can use it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are half of all AI dynasty members supposed to be victims of assassination 50 years into a game?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I mean, if you're the one committing the assassinations, yes, that basically the core game play of CK2. If not, probably also yes.

Family problems were a lot easier to solve back then.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Talky posted:

You mean the event that adds a new holding slot to a province, right?

Are all the other holding slots in that province filled with cities/churches/castles? If not, one of the other slots should have a green border and give you the building option when you click on it. The new holding slot event just raises the province's cap, you still need to fill the other slots in before you can use it.

Thank you, that was it. I didn't realize I had to fill them in sequentially :downs:

Also Crusades are really fun now. I got 4k gold for sieging one holding and getting my rear end kicked. Deus Vult!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Goons Are Great posted:

I mean, if you're the one committing the assassinations, yes, that basically the core game play of CK2. If not, probably also yes.

Family problems were a lot easier to solve back then.

targets sure, but successful assassinations should not be that common against your dynasts. a rash of successful assassinations could imply a handful of things, but none of them are good or reflect well on you as a player.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Maybe a devil's child event occurred? This can lead to a wild spike in successful assassinations, as they basically always successfully kill their targets and leave a trail of corpses just for being alive, too.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Are they being assassinated or disappearing? Cause the latter is from Satanist infestation.

If there is a huge volume of actual assassinations, a good fraction of them will say who killed them on the skull. For at least those you can try to work out the causes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Best Friends posted:

Are they being assassinated or disappearing? Cause the latter is from Satanist infestation.

If there is a huge volume of actual assassinations, a good fraction of them will say who killed them on the skull. For at least those you can try to work out the causes.
I ran a 50 year simulation with a bunch of babies born the first year, and many, many of them ended up with red skulls.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Does anyone know if the Monk attribute permanently locks a character to being unable to wed? I started a Charlemagne campaign as the King of Asturias, named my daughter as heir and invited Theodoric to my lands, and gave him a Bishopric. When she inherited, she seduced him, made him her lover, revoked the title - but he absolutely refused to marry. Despite a plethora of attractive your women at the court, including yours truly, none would appear in the marriage screen.

I'm wondering if there is any way to get him into a Matrilineal marriage at all.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Moreau posted:

Does anyone know if the Monk attribute permanently locks a character to being unable to wed? I started a Charlemagne campaign as the King of Asturias, named my daughter as heir and invited Theodoric to my lands, and gave him a Bishopric. When she inherited, she seduced him, made him her lover, revoked the title - but he absolutely refused to marry. Despite a plethora of attractive your women at the court, including yours truly, none would appear in the marriage screen.

I'm wondering if there is any way to get him into a Matrilineal marriage at all.

It might be possible if you manage to convert him to a religion that doesn't have monks? But other than that, I think there's no way to make him marry.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
That said, if your daughter managed to get a bastard out of him, she can legitimize the child through the child's interaction menu once you have control of her (either parent can do this, and since the mother doesn't get the choice at birth in vanilla this is the only way for mothers to legitimize children). I believe this makes the child a member of the mother's dynasty as well, so functionally equivalent to a matrimarriage except without the boring parts (and I guess with a small diplo penalty on the child).

If you legitimize the child while Theodoric is alive the child should be able to inherit from him (assuming his claim is inheritable, I have forgotten.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 12, 2019

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Fylkir of the reformed germanic religion just declared a holy war on me despite the fact that there are no germanic rulers left in the game and like four germanic provinces total. Do I just have to wait until the warscore ticks over to 100% in my favor? It's at like 10% after a couple years but I can't declare any other wars until it's over.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
He doesn't even hold a barony? Maybe it's possible to kidnap him.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Fylkrate itself is apparently a duchy-level title judging from his portrait, but he doesn't hold any actual land. My current dude's the head of the Hermetics so I don't want to give that all up for some satanic funtimes. I've assassinated one Fylkir and the war kept going so that's out I guess.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I don't understand why being the target of that holy war would prevent you from declaring wars, I don't remember that being the case

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The same thing happened to me once when the Fraticelli pope declared a crusade on me, despite them having no army and no holdings. I just ended up using the console to imprison him and then force surrender eventually because it didn't seem like there was any other way out other than hoping he'd decide to surrender.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He's got an army running around somewhere. Go kill it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I don't understand why being the target of that holy war would prevent you from declaring wars, I don't remember that being the case

I think that's new to 3.0, when I was updating CBs for Plus I noticed a lot of checks that looked like they were blocking wardecs when a crusade was active, but I assumed they were only for the attacking side. If it blocks the crusade targets too then that's a strange decision from Paradox.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

indigi posted:

you go into their safe space and just say the things we're all thinking

Ha ha.

I found it in the end, now Constantinople has a Great Library. A Great Library with Spikes, because for some mad reason it came equipped with them as default.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They really should fix that negazone Pope thing eventually.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That...almost went very badly. So as the current King of Ireland, I was in possession of Ireland, Wales, and had designs on Scotland (which is in a permanent state of upheaval ever since I tossed out the reigning monarch to put a crony on the throne, only for that crony to fall into an immediate and giant revolt. Oops). Suddenly Barcelona, a territory I wasn't even aware I had decides to declare independence and suddenly has troops parked in my capital that I can't get rid of. Had to cede that war, I didn't even want Barcelona, really. Then while I'm busy with that, the biggest remaining duchy in Scotland declares war on me. So I send the troops over there. And then a chunk of my vassals decide they are also going to revolt. Whee.

So since my troops were already dealing with Scotland, I had little choice but to let the revolt seize things until I whittled the Scots down. Which I did, but the revolt was slightly bigger than my available army. I had *just* enough money to call in a squad of mercs, chase the revolt off, and then send them to Scotland to chase off the last of their army right before the money to pay the mercs would have run out. End result, I'm alive, half my goddamn vassals are in prison, I have no money, the Pope wants a crusade (I wouldn't be able to afford boats to bring everyone across the ocean, lol), but I'm alive. Yay.

Oh, and for kicks, all of this is topped off by my rival Random Cousin deciding to spring the good old "There's a snake in your bed" bit, which the king managed to successfully roll away from. Grr.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 14, 2019

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Man, it's annoying not to get any response on the bug report forum. I posted about the bug that cripples secret cult induction when I discovered it at the end of last year, with exact reference to the event code responsible and how to fix it, and got no acknowledgement. Bumped the thread about it recently, and it looks to be proceeding the same way again. A fix is right there, they just have to pick it up and take it.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

DeathChicken posted:

I tossed out the reigning monarch to put a crony on the throne, only for that crony to fall into an immediate and giant revolt.

One of my favourite ways to destabilize my rivals. Especially when you convert the claimants to your religion.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
That's not just destabilizing rivals, it's also good zealous roleplaying.

Though you should also (matri-)marry them to a close relative first, to ally with and defend them against the factions that will inevitably rise up to topple them again.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They really should fix that negazone Pope thing eventually.

From the Wonder_Upgrades file:

quote:

upgrade_spikes = {
picture = GFX_upgrade_icon_skulls

potential = { }
allow = { }
active = { }

flags = {
scary
is_plural
}
build_time = 24
gold_cost_flat = 450
gold_cost_ticking = 1
local_modifier = {
siege_defence = 0.05
}
owner_modifier = {
custom_modifier_text = execution_possible_modifier_tt
}
ai_will_do = {
factor = 0.5
modifier = {
factor = 3
trait = impaler
}
modifier = { #can the pope PLS stop building spikes?!
factor = 0
k_papal_state = {
holder_scope = {
character = THIS
}
}
}
}
}

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just joined the Satanists (Actually a random-world order inheriting terminology I think from Norse/Germanic), only to discover my wife was already Grandmaster of the order.

e: Whoops, I forgot to be educating my heir myself, and apparently my Court Tutor Grandmaster Satanist First Wife Bran Starked him, so now he's dead of an infected wound, and my heir is now my newborn drooling imbecile. :darksouls:

Dareon fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 16, 2019

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Warrior Lodge legendary journey advice: even if you have 200 personal combat skill and believe no man or woman can challenge you, that may very well be true but a bear will push your poo poo in

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

pfff youre a punkass bitch if it doesnt take at least two of the Popes pet bears to kill you

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
CK2 stream firing back up in ~10 minutes! We survived the black death, now it's time to deal with the Mongols, while simultaneously getting our religion reformed and forming an empire! OH GOD TOO MANY BALLS TO JUGGLE.

https://www.youtube.com/user/timewarriors/live

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

My guy got ate by a legendary bear once and he got a bloodline out of it, frustratingly I had purposely kept him from having kids so that my breeding project with Ragnarr’s bloodline could inherit. It was neat that he still got the bloodline even though he died.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Palemdromes posted:

My guy got ate by a legendary bear once and he got a bloodline out of it, frustratingly I had purposely kept him from having kids so that my breeding project with Ragnarr’s bloodline could inherit. It was neat that he still got the bloodline even though he died.

Well bloodlines are meant to represent reputation rather than any actual genetic thing so "was killed by a bear so hard people still remember it 300 years later" makes perfect sense for one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
CK2 is really good about having a ton of interesting statistics in the ledgers. But I think there's one big oversight: There's no list of unique artifacts in the world! I want to be able to look up who I have to abduct/murder/etc. to get more cool stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Torrannor posted:

CK2 is really good about having a ton of interesting statistics in the ledgers. But I think there's one big oversight: There's no list of unique artifacts in the world! I want to be able to look up who I have to abduct/murder/etc. to get more cool stuff.

in the character search you can search for the name of a specific artifact and anyone who has it will show up. different than what you're saying but at least there's something.