Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Leal posted:

Iron Rain good?

A consensus is forming that it's EDF but different. If you thought edf5 was too small of an upgrade compared to EDF 4.1, you might like what iron rain does differently.

If you absolutely needed 100+ missions on 5 or more difficulty levels and to play the game for 500 hours or more before exhausting all of its content, you might not like iron rain. Some people like what's new and different, others seem ready to call it another "b tier" game like insect Armageddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm definitely optimistic for the possibilities of this game, and it does gives me Insect Armageddon vibes, but I really liked Insect Armageddon. The shooting feels very different, and there seems to be a lot less impact to my shots. I feel like maybe the insects aren't flinching as much, so it feels a little more like you're whittling away a health bar instead of punching a giant with bullets. I can't wait to get home and play more, I only made it up to mission 8 on Normal last night.

I definitely enjoyed EDF5 a lot, but as the poster above me mentioned, I do feel it was a little too similar to 4.1, so I'm mostly just happy that the series is going in a new direction. So far, it doesn't seem like an incompetent or unworthy entry into the series, and it seems like the chaos really ramps up in later levels from what I've seen, especially that video that got posted earlier that had a segment about zipping around indefinitely as the prowl rider. The missions I've played so far felt a little short and spread out, with a little too much time moving between groups of enemies, but I can see that being an advantage later on. In 4.1 and 5, every enemy tends to get massed up in one enormous horde that could easily outpace and overwhelm you, so I'm hoping that the new evasive moves give an opportunity to get some breathing room for harder missions.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Played through the first few missions in split screen. It's fine?

I thought I would hate the Jet Lifter for being a watered down approximation of the Wing Diver, but I think I'm starting to get behind what is basically the Ranger with Pale Wing style flight. The Jet Lifter's forward sprint is way more fun than anything else about it though. In it's favour my co-op partner who played through 4 and 5 with me was never able to 'get' the wing diver, but she loves the Jet Lifter so the focus on accessibility isn't a complete loss. Next time we play 5 she wants to try the Wing Diver again.

The new item system is great, much better than the old way of doing things.

Respawns feel really wrong, and I don't like that recovering downed allies is tied to an item now, very fiddly. easier to forgive how dangerous the enemies are with the huge amount of leway having extra lives gives you. The tension between waiting for a full health revive and having the option to get back in theaction faster with less health is an interesting system though.

The gem system is a great compromise between HOW EDF IS MEANT TO BE and a sane weapon unlock system, I just wish they were easier to spot on the ground. I really like how they tie the collecting into the setting, "Mission is over, get the boxes!" is such an EDF thing, it's clear that the team actually know what makes the series tick.

4 and 5 did a great job of adapting the good ideas in IA into it's own inimitable style, so this game makes me excited for the Sandlot EDF, but also it's superior to IA in every single way so far.

In conclusion, Iron Rain is a land of contrasts. My personal ranking is 5>4.1>2>IR>3>IA>1, although IR might shift above 2 based on my impressions so far.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Here's a very fair review of Iron Rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalwhAj8PSg

Same guy who did the class guide I posted earlier, so he's a bit low energy but overall pretty good.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I found EDF 5 a massive upgrade over 4.1, at least in the things that bothered me. The fact that drops are for multiple classes is great, the upgrade system is great, and they improved a lot of a the weapons that seemed totally ignorable in 4.1. The fencer gets enough mobility to be viable, the ranger gets a lot more vehicles and can call them in, the wing diver gets cool dodge rolls. The air raider's airstrikes and shot / missile requests are much more viable, and selecting airstrike targets is 10x easier. The extra piece of gear that lets you customize the armor slot for some classes and multiple slots for others really adds a lot - wing diver core, fencer booster and armor choices, etc.

Anyway just chiming in to say that EDF 5 on the PS4 feels like a very significant improvement as it fixes allll the little stuff that was annoying in 4.1, to me. I get that tastes will vary but yeah most of the things that started wearing on me the more I played in 4.1 aren't an issue in 5.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The fencer gets enough mobility to be viable

Everything else is sensible, but this confuses me. In what way was Fencer, Literally The Fastest Class In The Game, not viable in 4.1? Admittedly, he became Even More The Fastest in 5, though with more effort involved...

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Having played a little more, I'm not a fan of how being in proximity to an explosion or energy blast, but not being got by it, will stagger you and render you unable to shoot. It feels too easy to get stunlocked in this game, especially by those first big enemies that shoot red glowing rocks at you.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
How the heck do you leave a squad once you’re in game? I don’t see any option to quit mission and if the host wants to keep slamming us into a hopeless mission it seems like you just need to shut down the game at the console screen??

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Also there doesn’t seem to be any way to filter out locked rooms or even see which rooms are locked without trying to join them? Wtf

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SoR Blaze posted:

Having played a little more, I'm not a fan of how being in proximity to an explosion or energy blast, but not being got by it, will stagger you and render you unable to shoot. It feels too easy to get stunlocked in this game, especially by those first big enemies that shoot red glowing rocks at you.
Oh, thank god. I thought I was the only one finding myself :sigh: over this realization.

I had the nerve to get close enough to the first showing of enemy humans that I'd flinch after every. Single. Grenade. Launcher. Shot. Damage? Oh, no, I was just in the general zipcode of an explosion.

Little baby spiders removing literally 4 health interrupting my assault rifle fire, to the point finally getting stuck in actual web was a relief by comparison.

Flanking behind those turtle bots so I can go to town with a minigun unopposed. Oh, whoops. Their footsteps must have kicked dust into my eyes.

"I finally remembered super mode is a thing! That will let me rush in to mow down these black spikey energy shotgun monsters-ow. ow. ow. ow. *blam* I fired once! ow. ow. ow."

Rubbing salt in the wounds is how unflinching the enemies are. We are truly in bizzaro world because flinching humanoids so hard they can't shoot good has changed sides. And Fencer's shields only hold up so long (I had to retry mission #9 a few times on the power of flinches alone. While normal difficulty chasing down the big walker with your brand new Fencer was an anticlimax thanks to how spaced out enemies were).

For what it's worth, this is the only thing that's really bothered me so far. Except for my pre-order(?) missile launcher revealing that despite traditional "Make sure to aim up before firing!" warnings in the description... Unlike regular EDF, apparently you don't keep lock ons once the reticule moves off them? (or you get flinched :shepface:). I really hope the other Missile launchers I've yet to check let me enjoy the usual 720 spins until I see who won the missile lottery.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 12, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I love our new science man.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Here's a very fair review of Iron Rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UalwhAj8PSg

Same guy who did the class guide I posted earlier, so he's a bit low energy but overall pretty good.

https://i.imgur.com/L2KTJ5H.gifv
I like the look of this weapon, whatever it is :allears:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zoig posted:

Science guy in 4.1 was a treasure.

The “intelligence” lady in 5 is good too, but in a different way. “These ships teleport monsters, therefore we will call them ‘teleportation ships’”. Oh no poo poo? Good thing we’ve got brainiacs like you in the case. *encounters flying monsters* “hmm these monsters can fly, we have named them ‘flying type monster’”. Yess another stunning breakthrough at the intelligence division.

The real star of 5 is the EDF SUPREME COMMANDER. Who announces himself as the SUPREME COMMANDER every time he gets on the radio. Making sure that he is indeed the SUPREME COMMANDER multiple times in the same speech.

Anyway edf5 is the greatest game released on the PS4

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 12, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Beans posted:

The “intelligence” lady in 5 is good too, but in a different way. “These ships teleport monsters, therefore we will call them ‘teleportation ships’”. Oh no poo poo? Good thing we’ve got brainiacs like you in the case. *encounters flying monsters* “hmm these monsters can fly, we have named them ‘flying type monster’”. Yess another stunning breakthrough at the intelligence division.

The real star of 5 is the EDF SUPREME COMMANDER. Who announces himself as the SUPREME COMMANDER every time he gets on the radio. Making sure that he is indeed the SUPREME COMMANDER multiple times in the same speech.

The grunts in EDF 5 are the best.

*entire squad eaten by ants*
"All my dreams are coming true! :yayclod: "

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

This game feels pretty rough right now. It’s got a couple cool things going on but in a world where edf5 is still pretty fresh I’d have a hard time recommending it to, like, anyone

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Zoig posted:

He's a German scientist. Who's only one E short of being Dr Mengele. :stare:

Anyway, Iron Rain definitely puts more emphasis on positioning, and timing. Compared to throwing as many WMD's at the enemy as fast as possible like in regular EDF.

Also, I did a quick and dirty test to see what happens if you drop the reward to zero by item use, hoping that you could just spam items to victory, and all you get is zero reward. Nope. It'll chew into your banked cash if you hit negatives. :cry:

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Hot drat the TF-Anger GD grenade launcher loving owns. I got it from one of the first missions in hard mode and it has a HUGE radius, high damage, 2 second reload time with an active reload. The only drawback is the it has a ROF of 1 sec :(

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Welp, got a hard crash in the first underground area. I'd just dropped into the Queen arena, popped one of the freebie defensive aura placements, and then it locked when the queen did her big tornado attack.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No love for Sergeant on this page, smh. He is there to save your bacon and gives you useful advice. "Be sure to confirm the enemy's position with your eyes!"

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Tricky posted:

Welp, got a hard crash in the first underground area. I'd just dropped into the Queen arena, popped one of the freebie defensive aura placements, and then it locked when the queen did her big tornado attack.
If you want to see some fuckery, try the mercenary mode. I was T-posed, dead, along with another player who's literally vibrating through the map floor, unable to respawn, or do anything besides spam emotes. Only reason I left it running was because it clumped up the enemies on me ( despite being unable to do damage, or interact ) so the other two players could blast them at their leisure, and to see if you got any reward for actually finishing a match.

I still don't know, because it crashed on wave five. The netcode for this game is a loving disaster, despite regular EDF being basically fine. :psyduck:

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly I'm just enjoying that they got around armor being a shared value by making PA-gears have different levels of damage mitigation. I have been enjoying playing the heavy striker and just shrugging off minor attacks and blocking the big ones. I'm only up to about halfway on normal with 2400 armor, is this still a thing you can do at later difficulties or does it become nonviable?

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Zoig posted:

Honestly I'm just enjoying that they got around armor being a shared value by making PA-gears have different levels of damage mitigation. I have been enjoying playing the heavy striker and just shrugging off minor attacks and blocking the big ones. I'm only up to about halfway on normal with 2400 armor, is this still a thing you can do at later difficulties or does it become nonviable?

Well, one thing I've noticed is that the difficulties seem a lot closer together than they are in the mainline series. I've played a bunch of missions on hard and hardest, and am not even close to having maxed armor, so I'd imagine this could be possible. In general, the balance in IR seems to be a lot less glass cannon than the main series, both for enemies and the player. It's a welcome change for me, I'm really looking forward to playing on disaster when it unlocks.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
Iron rain is starting to feel a bit like a slog. The power fantasy just doesn't seem to be there. I think it feels better to vaporize high volumes of enemies, rather than spend roughly the same amount of time in combat vs bullet sponges that can stagger you by moving near you, or force you to stagger yourself if you use the wrong weapon near them.

I think it can still be a decent game, and I'd say it's probably still better than insect Armageddon, but I actually find myself wanting to go back to edf5 the deeper I get into iron rain

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems to be a game that you play through normally instead of an integral part of your life like a real edf game is.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

I wasn't really enjoying iron rain until I hit around level 10, and the game started throwing out more unusual weapons and the fencer analogue. Dual wielding railguns is fun as hell, same for laser swords.

Also I enjoyed the laser rifle that was a shotgun, rocket launcher, or sniper depending on how long you charged it.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
I'm for sure more positive on it than I was the first 2 days. I'm really starting to warm up to the increased survivability. It's certainly a more methodical game than the mainline series, but I could see myself 100%ing this game, unlike 5 or 4.1 where you have to really craft a gimmick build to survive inferno levels and hope for a little luck. Normal mode is definitely harder than the main series, and I feel like it presents a good challenge, but the difficulty seems like it has a lower ceiling for hardest and hard so far. Hard doesn't really seem that much different than normal, so if I'm having trouble on a mission, like the one where you defend the carrier Verbena, I can go to the previous mission and get some nicer weapons.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

not having a chance of getting weapons i might not have kind of reduces my enthusiasm for jumping into groups playing earlier stages. i mean you get gems but it's not the same

also whats up with the lag on aiming when playing online??? who makes netplay like this

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 13, 2019

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It does help to go back and do some stages on hard when you get further in, so far I have made a railgun that's basically become my staple weapon on heavy, a 3 way acid thrower, a satallite laser thats actually really disappointing, and my favorite, the precise opposite of wing diver lasers, in a big fuckoff laser cannon that ramps up the longer its fired until its sparking and feels like it might explode. and then I used 2 of them at once.

The choice to have weapons be tied to levels rather than random drops is doing a lot more to push me to complete the game then any other edf did, if only because I loathe the idea of armor grinding. also heavy striker is fantastic, having literally double the firepower is silly with the right guns.

I honestly like this more than 5 for single player, but playing it in multiplayer seems like a bad idea, which is a shame because that's usually when edf is at its best.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Just beat the game on Normal. What a ride! I finished out the final boss after exhausting my healing items and zipping around to pick up the last green gem. I had just enough health to shut it down at the last moment. I'd say that this is certainly a game worthy of the series, and while it brings a number of new annoyances, I think what it does differently is overall a net improvement.

I definitely experimented with weird guns a little less than I normally do, but I imagine I'll be doing more of that on Hard and Hardest. I mostly used the Anger grenade launcher and whatever the best AR/LASER rifle I could find. Also, I got bad grades for time on a few levels where I just couldn't output enough dps (including the last level, my first d-rank lol), but I also almost never used items other than healing stuff, and I think I would have had an easier time had I used consumables a little more. They certainly are cheap enough by midgame compared to the credits I was raking in for finishing missions.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Leal posted:

No love for Sergeant on this page, smh. He is there to save your bacon and gives you useful advice. "Be sure to confirm the enemy's position with your eyes!"
Sergent is doing his best to do right by you all game, and it's great.
"Sorry this place was also a hellhole, civilian. But I'll kill as many aliens it takes to get you someplace safe"
"You look fabulous, now let's go kill some aliens"
"You are the world's greatest killing machine. This means the top priority is that it would be rude to keep calling you newbie."

(One of my fave EDF science lines is "We saved several survivors" in Crimson VIII, The Revenge)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Captain Beans posted:

Intelligence lady is loving fantastic, especially in the penultimate mission. Paraphrased:

Commander: Thank you for all the help you've given us in our fight.
Intelligence Lady: Well, of course I helped you. I am a support AI designed for that task, after all.
Commander: WHAT?
Intelligence Lady:
Commander:
Intelligence Lady: That was a joke.

(This exchange takes place while you're fighting the goddamn mothership and everyone is loving dying, to boot)

Honestly, the cast in EDF 5 is the best cast in the series. No one is quite as outright absurdly stupid/funny as Ohara was but as a whole they're all really great, and your commander gives literally the hypest speech in the history of EDF as you go to fight the mothership.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Leal posted:

Well you have to get close enough to be sure that they're aliens, because they look EXACTLY LIKE humans!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Jesus christ Ohara. Doctor Science was the most hilariously useless dude ever

...But GIANT IN-SECTS cannot fly!

(What about all the loving bees, doc)

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Mengel being this old wasted guy that has ended up in the command communication channel somehow is pretty good though.
"Ehhhh this is Mennnnngel I ehhh have you seen my keys? WHAT?! ooooOOook bye".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pneub posted:

Well you have to get close enough to be sure that they're aliens, because they look EXACTLY LIKE humans!

They have 2 eyes in which they use to see, they also have ears in which they can hear things with. They also stand on 2 legs. Just like humans!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The reporter who 180s from "gently caress you edf give peace a chance this is all your fault" to "oh gently caress everyone's dying murder harder edf" and "were going extinct and going to become alien pets holy Jesus wait a sec is that solo edf guy face tanking the mothership " is also pretty great

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Overall, I enjoyed Iron Rain. AR and Rocket Launcher did great work as per usual (AR: Outrage -> 2040 -> Upgraded Outrage, RL: Darius 1) and the added mobility of the Prowl Rider was really nice for kiting and getting good angles on objectives. G-LIAR is also nice for grinding apart the huge mobs of Blue Sideros and Armored Scourgers they throw at you near the end, though I usually mounted and then immediately used the SP attack.

I think EDF5 is the better game overall, but the core of Iron Rain could be developed out into a really good EDF experience. I'd like to see a more Reginleiv approach to weapons with you progressing through a bunch of tech trees, though I appreciated that it never felt like I got screwed on drops.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I feel like certain weapon classes in iron rain are just way better than anything else. In particular laser cannons seem to be astonishingly destructive and the only railgun i found carried me all the way to the end when combined with heavy striker because almost everything I shot with it would die in a maximum of 3 shots and it had penetration.

I also rarely used anything other than sticky grenades and feeders because it cost money that could be used on more guns. While the resources are a good replacement for weapon drops, I honestly can't imagine a good reason to have credits in the game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you unlock emblems and weapons for finding the lost drones, there's 1 in every stage and 3 in the testing area and for the first like 40 you get a weapon every other one. it helpfully marks the missions you've found them on in the mission list. i've only done like 15 and i've gotten a variety of low rank chemical throwers and a railgun that shoots different elements for how long you hold it and a cool laser cannon that powers up as you hold the button, seems like you get higher rank weapons as you get into greater numbers. still have to buy them after you unlock them ofc. anyway here's a list on a jp wiki that you can google translate, i haven't found a better source yet https://www65.atwiki.jp/edfir/pages/26.html

this thread helps too https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/221717-earth-defense-force-iron-rain/77635163

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

spent 30 minutes shooting the big green ball in mission 27 it never blew up also there's no way to leave a mp game in progress for some reason :waycool: