Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pakled posted:

I kinda slept on the series at first too, I watched the first episode shortly after it came out and dismissed it as being too twee for my tastes. Then around the end of the first season, I gave it another chance because goons were clamoring over it and I'm glad I did. "Mewnipendance Day" was what really convinced me the series was something special.

Yeah, my experience was similar—watched the first two episodes, thought they were okay, but not really for me, then gave the series a real try right at the end of Season 2 and I've been posting too much about it since :v:

Shitenshi posted:

So Mina is now firmly in the Lost Cause of the South mentality. Wouldn't be surprised if Globgor is freed somehow and everyone freaks out, and that plays into a final confrontation with her.

Both Mina and Globgor represent the worst aspects of Mewni's history, so it would definitely fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, my experience was similar—watched the first two episodes, thought they were okay, but not really for me, then gave the series a real try right at the end of Season 2 and I've been posting too much about it since :v:

Both Mina and Globgor represent the worst aspects of Mewni's history, so it would definitely fit.

I'd say Mina and Toffee. We have no idea how much Globgor reformed before he got crystalized nor how much of that will stick if (when) he gets free.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ludo remains interesting with how his arc is going. He's always been very uncreative but not stupid; he'll keep trying to accomplish the same goal but usually a different way every time. In this case he's dropped back into his old life, but choosing to do things differently- using his terrible skills and lack of scruples for the benefit of his family rather than just himself.

I thought with that contract they could just never officially finish rebuilding the castle Greek tax dodge style. But down with liquidating landlords.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Was there a story somewhere between seasons 3 and 4 to explain why Star can effortlessly use magic without the Wand or is it just presumed to be another example of her doing whatever the hell she pleases?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Eclipsa was teaching her iirc.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Eclipsa was teaching her iirc.

Star would need to teach Eclipsa; she mentioned once that she can't use magic without a wand and dipped down for the first time when Moon was fighting her daughter. I believe Star got the ability to use magic without major effort once she could transform into her butterfly form at will, but she never had a reason to test it until she gave her wand to Eclipsa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Once Star figured out the trick she seemed to master it pretty quickly. I get the impression her style of spellcasting lends itself to wandless magic.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Skippy McPants posted:

Was there a story somewhere between seasons 3 and 4 to explain why Star can effortlessly use magic without the Wand or is it just presumed to be another example of her doing whatever the hell she pleases?

Star has technically been able to do magic without a wand via dipping down since the first episode of Season 2, but never needed to since the wand was always there. Since gaining control of how to access her Butterfly form in Season 3 she's been able to dip down to cast magic at will, which was showcased in her fight against Meteora at the end of Conquer. They probably could have done more to show her testing out wandless magic at the start of the new season, but it didn't quite come out of nowhere.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I get the impression that Butterfly family magic is an extremely personal thing, with their magical abilities reflecting their personality and motivation; and probably not by coincidence we see colour-coded magical effects that seem to correspond both to particular types of magic and the emotional state of the wielder. The destructive green energy used by Ludo (and occasionally Star) fuelled by resentment and rage being the most obvious example. The pink usually seen with Star's magic seems to reflect joy and creativity, and Star does primarily use basically various forms of summoning spell. Not sure what Eclipsa's purplish-black might mean, though I get the impression it's related to subversive magic that drains power from others and breaks down barriers, and may reflect Eclipsa's self-admitted selfishness. (and we even have a bit where Eclipsa admits that she's used to using her magic selfishly, and wants to branch out to learn to use it in ways that can benefit others since she's actually taking her rulership seriously)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Since no one else has pointed it out yet, Ludo's plan straight up involved literally eating the rich. Just saying.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just caught up on this show, it's extremely good and I regret not getting into it earlier

That said, is there any fan content that isn't shipping, because that's all I can find

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The answer for this and every other piece of media is: no, it's all shipping.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is so much shipping there should be a radio forecast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And if the teasers are any indication, something like half of the remaining episodes deal with Star's relationship drama so in this instance I wouldn't say the internet is reading too much into things.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For little things that got lost in the shuffle I liked the little moment where Moon did a mocking impersonation of Ludo, that was cute. She's not often that off guard.

"Do you remember Ludo?"
"Oh, of course [in silly screechy voice]turns out you're dead!. Of course I remember him..."

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Skippy McPants posted:

Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is at least half memes. The other half is shipping.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
despite the reputations fandoms have there is usually at least some good content in there

the star fandom is unusual, in that it makes me feel like I need to have a hazmat suit on to safely observe it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tetracube posted:

the star fandom is unusual, in that it makes me feel like I need to have a hazmat suit on to safely observe it

I feel like this is true of any popular kids show that has overlap appeal with adults. See also: Gravity Falls and Adventure Time.

And I can recall at least a few anecdotal stories from parents who couldn't let their kids search for My Little Pony stuff without supervision because of what they might come across.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ramos posted:

Since no one else has pointed it out yet, Ludo's plan straight up involved literally eating the rich. Just saying.

Literally eating his landlord no less.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Skippy McPants posted:

I feel like this is true of any popular kids show that has overlap appeal with adults. See also: Gravity Falls and Adventure Time.

there's "average fandom" bad which describes all those shows

and then there's "I've seen the word 'loli' more times than I'm comfortable with" bad

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Tetracube posted:

and then there's "I've seen the word 'loli' more times than I'm comfortable with" bad

see also: the loud house fandom

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Something I noticed in Ghosts of Butterfly Castle: when Moon is walking through the gallery of tapestries, Eclipsa's can be seen in the background, with stitches like all the rest. But in Conquer we got a moment showing that Meteora shredded every tapestry but Eclipsa's. While it's possible the tapestry got shredded later on, why did Mina go through the trouble of repairing it if she's trying to off her?

It could just be a continuity error though

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

coronatae posted:

Something I noticed in Ghosts of Butterfly Castle: when Moon is walking through the gallery of tapestries, Eclipsa's can be seen in the background, with stitches like all the rest. But in Conquer we got a moment showing that Meteora shredded every tapestry but Eclipsa's. While it's possible the tapestry got shredded later on, why did Mina go through the trouble of repairing it if she's trying to off her?

It could just be a continuity error though

Eclipsa's tapestry could have gotten torn up later on by looters (Mewmans don't like her much, remember) and Mina, out of obligation to tidy up Butterfly Castle somewhat, stitched hers up along with the rest.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Tetracube posted:

Where are you looking for fan stuff because yikes :stare: (please don't tell me)

Anyway, Morningmark on Tumblr/Instagram has fun comics, though he is also partly responsible for the obnoxious number of fan kids.

Rad-Star is also a good follow for decent-to-good fanart that pops up on Tumblr.

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Eclipsa's tapestry could have gotten torn up later on by looters (Mewmans don't like her much, remember) and Mina, out of obligation to tidy up Butterfly Castle somewhat, stitched hers up along with the rest.

Comedy option: Mina wrecked it herself, then stitched it back together out of a sense of obligation :v:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Where are you looking for fan stuff because yikes :stare: (please don't tell me)

I remember I used to go to the /co/ threads before the place went from a level 4 toxic waste dump to a level 10 toxic waste dump and lemme tell you things got weird, but like in a bad way rather than a fun way

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, what's the Magical High Commission like now anyways? Are they going to let Eclipsa back in now that she's Queen again, despite that time they deposed her? Are they just down to three members?

Skippy McPants posted:

To be fair, a whole lot of this show is one kind of ship-bait or another. It's no surprise the fandom takes to it like teenaged girls at a sleepover.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Anyway, Morningmark on Tumblr/Instagram has fun comics, though he is also partly responsible for the obnoxious number of fan kids.

Rad-Star is also a good follow for decent-to-good fanart that pops up on Tumblr.

these are good thanks

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, what's the Magical High Commission like now anyways? [b]Are they going to let Eclipsa back in now that she's Queen again, despite that time they deposed her?/b] Are they just down to three members?

Given the events in "Swim Suit" and the remaining members' opinions of Eclipsa, that'd be a definite No.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Glossaryck is clearly Mewni's Merlin figure, complete with being a huge rear end in a top hat with few apparent scruples mostly motivated by personal loyalty and whims. (I suppose from his point of view, Eclipsa being in stasis was a temporary condition and he can just pick up where he left off eventually)

Crocodiles are apparently important to Mewni's magical history and possibly immune to the effects of raw magic?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Well, people waiting for the Tom and Janna team-up finally get their wish.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Spell with No Name was a pretty cool episode.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

The Spell with No Name was a pretty cool episode.

It was definitely better than I expected for a Spider With a Top Hat episode (Since I REALLY did not like the last one). Really all the episodes this week were solid, especially Knight Shift.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
quote is not edit

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
*murmur*Who's queen Eclipsa?*murmur*

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

*murmur*Who's queen Eclipsa?*murmur*

There's always that person who doesn't know who the current president is.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

There's always that person who doesn't know who the current president is.

Sure, but it's right there in the title. If someone says President Trump (ugh) has been kidnapped, you could kinda figure it out from context.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:kimchi:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Did you notice the part where their capes made a heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For the curious, episode titles for the week after next (But not next week, for whatever reason):

Doop-Doop - Star attempts to figure out what to do with her life after she is not responsible for Mewni any longer.
Britta's Tacos - Marco is determined to consume 50 tacos in order to win a special prize that is being offered at Britta's Tacos restaurant.

Beach Day - Star gets ready to actually have the day at the beach with Marco.
Gone Baby Gone - Marco misplaces both Mariposa and Meteora somewhere in Hekapoo's dimension.

Sounds like Marco Jr. may not actually be a Marco :v: