Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Did the Legendary Lunch Time event and caught 5 Giratinas, including an 89% dude. Not bad at all! I wish Niantic did guaranteed raid events more often because it's really fun seeing everyone and their grandma out there.

I got three evil caterpillars, and an invite to an EX Raid from one of the EX Gyms I hit! AND it's for a time I can actually do! Madness!

It's Deoxys-D in those right now, right? Guess I'll be putting these Giratinas to work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Glad I'll be gone for half of the Latios time next week camping, because raiding's gonna suck when Latios is taking attention away from Giratina. I can't fault people for wanting to chase shinies, but origin forme Giratina is really useful and I'd rather chase more of them over Latios. Would've been nice if it came out whenever Lake Trio is coming out instead, but maybe we'll get even better re-releases during those months.

I need to find myself Giratina Loyalists in my town during these trying times.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Gimmie my Tony the tiger raikou this summer, Niantic!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
14 giratinas across 2 accounts, nothing over 90% and one 10-10-10

Also it was pissing rain for exactly the duration of the event :argh:

At least I've got plenty of fodder for those guaranteed lucky swaps, I guess

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Windy weather for our lunchtime giratina raids was excellent. Got 3/4 and best was 91%

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

My usual not summer when the brown snakes are out community day walking trail just had a new pokestop added in the middle and a new gym added at the northern end :woop:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

My usual not summer when the brown snakes are out community day walking trail just had a new pokestop added in the middle and a new gym added at the northern end :woop:

I think the recent Ingress OPR updates really helped with the massive backlog of POI submissions.

There's one player in our local area with a high enough Ingress level to submit/review new POIs, and they recently did a sweep of the area, taking requests and submitting new locations. After a couple weeks, we ended up with at least 10 new stops and 3 new gyms (converted from former stops). Before the OPR changes, those would have stayed in the backlog for months.

I recently got back into Ingress because I want to get my level up and help with submissions, too. It's also nice to have something else to work on since I finally hit 40 in Go.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Nice. My local discord has this great map for us to use that is apparently the best route around downtown. It's not a big city but we do pretty good.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Got my first lucky friend. :toot:

They live on the other side of the planet. :confuoot:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
lucky trades should be allowed to be remote given that it takes a month to even get the chance for one

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Holy crap I got a 15/12/15 shiny Lugia from research :dance:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
What are the X/X/X numbers y'all are reporting?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
IVs. Each ranges from 0-15. Attack/Defense/HP is the usual order, I think. More is better, generally.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Kantesu posted:

IVs. Each ranges from 0-15. Attack/Defense/HP is the usual order, I think. More is better, generally.

To go further on the “generally”: For PvP Great League you want closer to 0/15/15 for most species*, but that’s really getting into minmax territory. I think IVs only makes a few % difference over their total effectiveness?

* or 15/15/15 if they max out under the CP cap.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

OgreNoah posted:

Nice. My local discord has this great map for us to use that is apparently the best route around downtown. It's not a big city but we do pretty good.

Yo I'm gonna be there Saturday for Community Day for a different thing, thanks for that map. I might not have time to do any community day catching, but I'll drop a line on Discord.

Oyster fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 11, 2019

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Froist posted:

To go further on the “generally”: For PvP Great League you want closer to 0/15/15 for most species*, but that’s really getting into minmax territory. I think IVs only makes a few % difference over their total effectiveness?

* or 15/15/15 if they max out under the CP cap.

Is there a specific app that you use to check these? I've seen a couple back in the day but was told they weren't always accurate. iOS if it matters.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I've had a lot of success with PokeGenie on iOS. I think CalcyIV is the other one people use, but not sure if that's on iOS.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Calcy is amazing on Android

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

EVG posted:

Is there a specific app that you use to check these? I've seen a couple back in the day but was told they weren't always accurate. iOS if it matters.

Yeah as mentioned above, PokeGenie is the best on iOS, but using it ends up filling up your photo library with screenshots. It's still far easier than going to websites to do it though. CalcyIV on Android is better; it works as an overlay and reads the info straight from the screen, but unfortunately that would never work on (non-jailbroken) iOS. I play the game on iOS when I'm out and about, but have an Android phone for work that I use for bulk-rating them when I get home.

Both apps are as accurate as they can be, but depending on the level of the Pokemon there can be ambiguities in its stats (more common in lower-level Pokemon). Both of them have the ability to input the in-game appraisal of the Pokemon to narrow it down, and PokeGenie can list all the possible combinations (I'm not aware that CalcyIV can actually do this?).

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

PathAsc posted:

Calcy is amazing on Android

Doesn't it drain battery hard?

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Mesadoram posted:

In the way that the game is open and the game drains battery hard.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
Just clicked on my completed research task from a couple days ago, and got my first shiny Scyther :dance: I now have a neon green Scizor, and I'm very happy

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Froist posted:

Yeah as mentioned above, PokeGenie is the best on iOS, but using it ends up filling up your photo library with screenshots. It's still far easier than going to websites to do it though. CalcyIV on Android is better; it works as an overlay and reads the info straight from the screen, but unfortunately that would never work on (non-jailbroken) iOS. I play the game on iOS when I'm out and about, but have an Android phone for work that I use for bulk-rating them when I get home.

Both apps are as accurate as they can be, but depending on the level of the Pokemon there can be ambiguities in its stats (more common in lower-level Pokemon). Both of them have the ability to input the in-game appraisal of the Pokemon to narrow it down, and PokeGenie can list all the possible combinations (I'm not aware that CalcyIV can actually do this?).

CalcyIV can even automatically scan the appraisal though you still have to tap through the appraisal text and not too quickly or it'll miss the text.

It will also show potential stat combinations on the app itself but the overlay only show the maximum, minimum, and median.

It can also rename your Pokémon (by way of pasting from the clipboard) with its stats, level, type, gender, and various other parameters. It can even use special unicode characters to get around the name character limit like so:

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Froist posted:

One more note on Poke Genie: It has the option to delete all of the scanned screenshots in your gallery, which does not also delete the associated scan.

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
Calcy lists all possible combinations if you long press the button and go into the app. Swipe right and you can pick from a list of all possibilities (if it's one you deleted the history of or something). The raid boss tools in it are great, too.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Mesadoram posted:

I've never had that issue

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I won the lottery and ended up with a shiny ash hat pikachu.

I don't particularly care to keep it, so I'm trying to figure out what to trade it for. Maybe shiny azurill? This is my first rare shiny so I'm not really sure of the relative rarities and if I should ask for multiple in return...

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ReginaLynn, really sorry but I just accidentally went Ultra friends with you without warning. Hopefully you see this and can get an egg on first, if you still care about XP. Sorry again :(

Kantesu posted:

One more note on Poke Genie: It has the option to delete all of the scanned screenshots in your gallery, which does not also delete the associated scan.

Oh yeah! I realised it deleted the screenshot when you delete the scan, but I’d missed the manual entry in the sidebar. It’d be really nice if you could set it to auto-delete them once they’ve been processed, but the iOS permission prompt probably breaks that possibility.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg / NatKingSwole - We're 1 day from Best Friends. You can open my gift whenever; I'm not worried about the bonus EXP since I'm already 40.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

EVG posted:

The game's appraisal function also points out any stat you have a 15 in. Exceeds my calculations / blown away / best I've ever seen.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

endlessmonotony posted:

The game's appraisal function also points out any stat you have a 15 in. Exceeds my calculations / blown away / best I've ever seen.

I don't think that's true. It just highlights which one is highest. You can get that message on a 14 if it's the highest stat.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

humpthewind posted:

I don't think that's true. It just highlights which one is highest. You can get that message on a 14 if it's the highest stat.

That's not right. The in-game appraisal tells you the overall total, which stat(s) is the highest, and how high that stat(s) is. For Mystic, Blanche saying the stat "exceeds my calculations" is always a 15. 14 is just "impressive."

Edit: Here's the exact ranges: https://pokemongohub.net/pokemon-go-appraisal-chart/

Ziddar fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 11, 2019

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Fricking argh. 66 out of 70 for the gold johto badge, required for celebi.

Not many pokes spawn near me. Any suggestions?

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
What's the closest large metropolitan area? In general, more people = more spawns.

Are there any parks near you? See if you can find a map that has nests for your area, and if one of the nests is spawning something you're missing. If there's not one for your local area, the Silph Road's may help: https://thesilphroad.com/atlas

See if there's anyone around who'll trade you things you're missing?

Roll the dice with incense? Or lures if there's stops near you.

Is anything you're missing an evolved form? If you own the pre-evolved form, make it your buddy to earn candy for it.

Hatch eggs until your legs fall off?

Kantesu fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 11, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Iymarra posted:

Fricking argh. 66 out of 70 for the gold johto badge, required for celebi.

Not many pokes spawn near me. Any suggestions?

Do you have a Smeargle yet? You can get one just by taking photos and getting lucky.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
No, no smeargle. How is that gotten then, with the camera?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!

Iymarra posted:

Click on one of your pokemon, press the camera button near the CP, take a cute pic, then close the camera thing and maybe a Smeargle will show up. If it doesn't, just try again.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Iymarra posted:

Yup. Take one (1) photo, and if he doesn't photobomb it, exit, and start over. You can do the same Pokémon multiple times until he shows, if you want him to have that specific move set.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Click on one of your pokemon, press the camera button near the CP, take a cute pic, then close the camera thing and maybe a Smeargle will show up. If it doesn't, just try again.

He'll show up in the bottom of the photo, so you'll know before you close the camera.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I thought that Smeargle only showed up on the first shot you take, and only for one Pokemon, so you have to take one picture each of several 'mons until you get photobombed. Is that wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

DizzyBum posted:

I thought that Smeargle only showed up on the first shot you take, and only for one Pokemon, so you have to take one picture each of several 'mons until you get photobombed. Is that wrong?

He does show up on the first shot you take, and only the first shot, but unless they've changed it, you can do the same one over and over until he shows. Some days, nothing spawns near me, and I have to do that over and over and over just to keep my Daily Streak going, since it's the only one I can get.

I tend to hold the icon to open the menu and slide my thumb diagonally up right, which will take me right into the Bag menu, then I tap the camera, and tap whatever is closest to my thumb, exit with my left thumb, exit the "Here's your photo(s)!" menu, and start over.