Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've built in a Node 304 and in a Dan-A4 and used non-blower cards in both. I think inherently a blower is going to be louder, it just depends on the case's airflow whether you can get away with having the gpu heat go through the case vs expelling it straight away. Particularly with the Dan case this hasn't been a problem. Sounds like you're probably OK, depending on how mufan noise is being created.

I also delidded the CPU, even with a fairly weak cooler it doesn't get hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Cool, thanks for the advice. Seems like I am fine, then. The computer is a good distance away behind my living room TV, so when it goes under full load like when playing AC:Odyssey, I can hear the fans spinning, but it's not loud enough to be distracting.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

If it’s not shutting down to protect itself, and the fan noise doesn’t bother you, then it’s fine.

Save the money and buy lowtax a liquid-cooled spine instead.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Idle temperatures don't really matter as long as they're in the safe range. CPU's are also pretty unlikely to fail under almost any thermal condition, running them hot for months will shorten their lifetime, and high heat makes them throttle, but it's not going to literally burst into flames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4

Everything behaves more like the Intel stuff nowadays.

danishcake
Aug 15, 2004
I've been waiting about six months for the Sentry 2.0 to launch to scratch my Mini-ITX console form factor itch. Now it's on Indiegogo, but it won't ship until December :(

I guess at least I might be able to chuck a Ryzen 2 in it by then.

It's like a thinner, more expensive Node 202.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
It's definitely not "SFF", and I'm not crazy on the aesthetics, but this ATX in Micro-ATX case design is exactly what I'd like to see become more popular going forward. For those of us who don't care about water cooling, I think there's a lot of wasted space in your average ATX/Micro-ATX tower, especially with NVME drives becoming so cheap there's just no need for so many drive mounts. A Micro-ATX version of this would be smaller than many mini-ITX cases. Yeah you're restricting CPU air intake somewhat at the front, but imo I prioritize airflow to the GPU more as I'm not a huge overclocker.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I built a computer in the Mini ATX version of this case and it was a dream. Honestly if I could go back in time a year I would probably build my system in this case since it's not much bigger than my H200i

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

It's definitely not "SFF", and I'm not crazy on the aesthetics, but this ATX in Micro-ATX case design is exactly what I'd like to see become more popular going forward. For those of us who don't care about water cooling, I think there's a lot of wasted space in your average ATX/Micro-ATX tower, especially with NVME drives becoming so cheap there's just no need for so many drive mounts. A Micro-ATX version of this would be smaller than many mini-ITX cases. Yeah you're restricting CPU air intake somewhat at the front, but imo I prioritize airflow to the GPU more as I'm not a huge overclocker.

I'd also like to see Micro-ATX boards be the absolute norm, Mini-ITX be readily available, and ATX be relatively niche. There's usually no call for a lot of PCIe slots, but at least with Micro-ATX, one has space for a wireless card, for example, and has space for potentially more NVMe slots than Mini-ITX.

I find it puzzling that so many builds use full ATX boards with nothing but a graphics card.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

HalloKitty posted:

I'd also like to see Micro-ATX boards be the absolute norm, Mini-ITX be readily available, and ATX be relatively niche. There's usually no call for a lot of PCIe slots, but at least with Micro-ATX, one has space for a wireless card, for example, and has space for potentially more NVMe slots than Mini-ITX.

I find it puzzling that so many builds use full ATX boards with nothing but a graphics card.

Yeah I went back to Micro ATX largely because mini-ITX motherboards were so much less available + pricey (at least in Canada), years after I thought mini-ITX was really gonna take off. The DIY market always moves incredibly slowly, still seeing new cases being introduced (albeit rarer these days) with external 5 1/4" drives is bizarre.

Cheap water cooling has likely played a part in cases not shrinking that much, but especially with Ryzen 2 I'm not sure how large the overclocking market, at least to the extent where it requires water cooling, will be. 65-95wt CPU's with 8-12 cores + 16/24 threads should be easily handled by your average air tower cooler. My 9400F has a 8$ tower cooler and it's silent at load, and my front intake fan on/off makes no difference. I've got my drives mounted on the cable side of the case with my H17, could easily lop off 5+ inches from the heigh of this case if the PSU was mounted at the front.

A modern 2020 Micro-ATX system could easily be built relatively cheaply with a fast NVME boot drive, a cheap SATA-3 based NVME main storage drive, maybe one 3 & 1/2" HDD for backup - I think would satisfy the expandability requirements for the vast majority of DIY'ers, especially with SLI being all but dead at this point. With your average modular PSU that would be an extremely clean system and having it front-mounted would barely impact thermals at all, at least with respect to the power needed.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I built a computer in the Mini ATX version of this case and it was a dream. Honestly if I could go back in time a year I would probably build my system in this case since it's not much bigger than my H200i
Ooo. Would be all over this if it was available without a window.

Anyone happen to know a similar thing (MATX case supporting ATX mobo) with a solid side panel? I really don't care at all about the look, I just have a big ole desktop that I need to rebuild into an under-the-tv sized box.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

dy. posted:

Ooo. Would be all over this if it was available without a window.

Anyone happen to know a similar thing (MATX case supporting ATX mobo) with a solid side panel? I really don't care at all about the look, I just have a big ole desktop that I need to rebuild into an under-the-tv sized box.

Depending on your budget, there's the Cerberus, which is pretty similar but doesn't have space behind the motherboard to mount drives, I think?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Zack Ater posted:

Depending on your budget, there's the Cerberus, which is pretty similar but doesn't have space behind the motherboard to mount drives, I think?

Ah yeah. I love that case but trying to do this on the cheap (just repurposing an old system), should have mentioned that.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Raijintek also do cases with a similar layout (PSU at the front), not if they're exactly cheap though: http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=52

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

There's definitely a bit of a cart-horse thing going on with mATX. The only reason it's tough to recommend for enthusiast builds is that nobody makes mATX boards with top-tier VRM and features (outside of Asus' Europe-only Gene series). Most manufacturers have at least one ITX board that's more full-featured that their top mATX board. Heck nobody makes any mATX X470 boards!

I agree though - it's weird that mATX isn't the norm.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah, I eventually just threw in the towel and got a weird server/workstation chipset mATX board when my z97 died. The prices for top consumer mATX boards are dumb. If I had an unlocked CPU, I would have been even more pissed.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

Raijintek also do cases with a similar layout (PSU at the front), not if they're exactly cheap though: http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=52

I have that case, I paid about 100 euros for it about a year and a half ago

pros: aluminum exterior looks great, very good at cooling the graphics card, ATX in the size of some mini ITX cases like the fractal nano S
cons: somewhat difficult cable management, not so great at cooling the CPU, need to open the case to remove the dust filter at the top for cleaning (or do like me and pry it out with a knife, and now it doesnt sit flush anymore)

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Long time listener, first time caller...

Could I get some input on this build for a mid-to-decent gaming rig? Any places where I can improve the bang for my buck? Any personal horror stories with any of this stuff?
If I've committed a grand taboo in posting this, and should have posted it to the part picker megathread, I won't be offended if you tell me to die in a garbage fire

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($123.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport AT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($81.72 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($67.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H200 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer - ED242QR Abidpx 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1000.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-11 17:40 EDT-0400

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
If you can swing it get a SFX power supply. ATX will fit but with a 3.5" drive it gets snug in the bottom for cable management.

Edit:. Although you don't have a radiator at the front so it might not be as bad as it is for me.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 11, 2019

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Quick question about NZXT - H200 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case : what's with the white bar in the case? What's the purpose for it? I've seen it in a few cases, never had one myself. Is it just for show or does it have an actual practical purpose?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
It's nice for wire routing. You can remove it, run your cables and put it back. Does a nice job covering power and SATA to the side mount 2.5". It's totally non structural.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Volguus posted:

Quick question about NZXT - H200 (White) Mini ITX Tower Case : what's with the white bar in the case? What's the purpose for it? I've seen it in a few cases, never had one myself. Is it just for show or does it have an actual practical purpose?

Bling

They're nice cases. I wish there was a mesh side panel.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Could you mount a closed-loop pump on the groove? It looks like it's designed for it, but I'm not sure if it's solid enough.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It'd support it fine, it's quite well secured.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Stickman posted:

Could you mount a closed-loop pump on the groove? It looks like it's designed for it, but I'm not sure if it's solid enough.

That is what it's designed for. A full sized video card though will make it difficult.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 12, 2019

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

SalTheBard posted:

If you can swing it get a SFX power supply. ATX will fit but with a 3.5" drive it gets snug in the bottom for cable management.

Edit:. Although you don't have a radiator at the front so it might not be as bad as it is for me.

I ended up using Thermaltake Core V1 for the case, and used their modular ATX psu for it. It honestly is pretty small.

In the end I decided on and built:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 GAMING-ITX/AC Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Inland - 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($44.76 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake - Toughpower Grand RGB 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $792.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-13 20:51 EDT-0400

Not the 850W, 650W PSU
Got a win10 key from a less than reputable source for 8 bucks :shrug:
Scared myself with the heat sink and back plate of the mobo a couple times, but it was mostly nerves haha.
Now I'm off to go get a lovely PC monitor to hold me over, because I've got it hooked up to an old Emerson TV and it's not great.

Anyhow~! This was a fun afternoon.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Turn down sharpness to 0 anytime you have a pc going to a TV and see if that helps.

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
Nice thread about small form PCs.
I want to buy a pre-made small form factor PC, any one tried Falcon northwest Fragbox ?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Ahmed posted:

Nice thread about small form PCs.
I want to buy a pre-made small form factor PC, any one tried Falcon northwest Fragbox ?

I have one of their original model fragbox cases. It's not quite as small as the smallest sff pcs today, so it's a bit dated in ways but it uses a full ATX power supply (with a custom bracket) and can fit a full ATX board. I got a carrying case with mine, which is just barely small enough for a carryon. I don't know that it's worth the premium today, but it's a nice case. I'm not even sure if you can buy just the case from them anymore.

e: Oh, if you're buying a whole system from them for like 3k sure, they make nice systems if you don't mind that premium.

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 15, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If you're looking at pre-built Fragboxes, the Corsair One line prebuilts are smaller and seem to have somewhat better components while also being bit cheaper for a given spec.

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy

Broken Machine posted:

I have one of their original model fragbox cases. It's not quite as small as the smallest sff pcs today, so it's a bit dated in ways but it uses a full ATX power supply (with a custom bracket) and can fit a full ATX board. I got a carrying case with mine, which is just barely small enough for a carryon. I don't know that it's worth the premium today, but it's a nice case. I'm not even sure if you can buy just the case from them anymore.

e: Oh, if you're buying a whole system from them for like 3k sure, they make nice systems if you don't mind that premium.
the main advantage of Fragbox over Tiki (from same company) is the use of full GPU while using a smaller case than a mid-tower, sure portability is a plus thanks BM

Stickman posted:

If you're looking at pre-built Fragboxes, the Corsair One line prebuilts are smaller and seem to have somewhat better components while also being bit cheaper for a given spec.
I will give a look to it

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Corsair one is by far the nicest pre built if you can swing it. It’s definitely pricy.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Um maybe not then

Ahmed
Dec 24, 2012

Surgeon
Lipstick Apathy
I also found chronos of origin pc
https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/chronos/
smaller than Tiki and contain full GPU (founder edition) instead of blower fan GPU cooling edition

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ahmed posted:

I also found chronos of origin pc
https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/chronos/
smaller than Tiki and contain full GPU (founder edition) instead of blower fan GPU cooling edition

I like how the freebie t shirt they give you has a default size of XL.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if i wanted an i9-9900 w/16GB of ram, 1tb nvme, and a 2080 in as small and as quiet a form factor as I can get... where would you point me

basically i want something that will be more or less dedicated to a valve index and it would be nice if it were easy to bring around. doesn't have to be full blown portable, but taking it in an uber should not be a shitshow

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are you using to cool the 9900?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I have a 65W i7-7700 with 2080ti in a dan case A4 that fits perfectly into a Pelican Case 1510. The case has enough room for a keyboard, mouse, headset, power cable and HDMI cable left over. It can get loud under load, so I set the power target on the GPU to 90% which helped a bunch. I've got a Cryorig C7 Cu on the CPU, which I strapped a 92mm Noctua fan on, as the stock fan was noisy as poo poo.

It's pretty great as a mobile system.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

buglord posted:

What are you using to cool the 9900?

gently caress if I know thats why i want to buy it

NeuralSpark posted:

I have a 65W i7-7700 with 2080ti in a dan case A4 that fits perfectly into a Pelican Case 1510. The case has enough room for a keyboard, mouse, headset, power cable and HDMI cable left over. It can get loud under load, so I set the power target on the GPU to 90% which helped a bunch. I've got a Cryorig C7 Cu on the CPU, which I strapped a 92mm Noctua fan on, as the stock fan was noisy as poo poo.

It's pretty great as a mobile system.
that looks really cool, I just watched a video of somebody cramming an i7-8700k and a 2080 in one though and it was like... too hard. I'd be perfectly willing to live with a case twice that size to have it be quieter and not an impossible puzzle. (though if i can just find something off the shelf to buy i guess i don't care about the puzzle).

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 30, 2019

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: oops quote != edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

An SFX PSU with custom or braided cables (I used Corsair's Type 4 braided ones) made it completely manageable. I've been thinking about moving to a NCase M1 so I can liquid cool the GPU, but that would require a larger case which would be too large to put in an overhead bin on a plane.