Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

mud and lasers is just 08th ms team smdh

Not enough Romeo and Juliet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
romeo is the mud and juliet is the lasers

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I feel like we should have a new thread title for the kickstarter, otoh the current one is too perfect to lose.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Finally got to sit down and read through the lore section of the pre-release in a big binge today, holy poo poo this rocketed up to one of my favorite settings next to Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase. I cannot loving WAIT for the art to go with all that lore poo poo, like Mercury's dyson panel or HA's terminator zone arco. Also how the setting overall is honestly fairly optimistic. It's kind of refreshing in that way.

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 11, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I dunno about optimistic but it’s a lot more grounded in political science and history so that helps it be a little less overtly grim compared to other settings in the genre. It’s definitely a super good setting though and more people should go back Miguel’s patreon.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
it's optimistic about humanity surviving the next century.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thatbastardken posted:

it's optimistic about humanity surviving the next century.

Well 99% of humanity didn't once the ball really got rolling.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Well 99% of humanity didn't once the ball really got rolling.

like I say, optimistic.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I mean optimistic in that the current iteration of the Union actually seems to have positive goals at heart and are attempting to make amends for the past and whatnot. Like it's upbeat in the sense that it's not unceasing hideous crushing despair like 40k or lovely feudal states grasping for power like Battletech. :shobon:

Also the one character intro that's the Ungrateful stringing up nobility is pretty rad too

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Per Abbadon about wordcount:
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1116476634947837953

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Do they not realize there's a PDF they can read right now?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I think a lot of people don't, or they're under the impression that a lot might change between 1.8.5 and the release.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

admanb posted:

Do they not realize there's a PDF they can read right now?

Atlatl posted:

I think a lot of people don't, or they're under the impression that a lot might change between 1.8.5 and the release.

The link to the Massif Press itch.io Page is about halfway in, and it's easy to miss.

Plus, when you do tear into the rule book, people see that the Compendium is huge and that overshadows the fact the actual rules are less than 100 pages (to be condensed further).

It's a quick read when you do sit down and go through it, but it took me almost a month from download to actually go through and realize, "This stuff is intuitive and owns."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm not going to begrudge someone who opens a 500+ page single column pdf and goes "what the gently caress?" It really ISN'T very onerous but it's not very well laid out, compression is currently nonexistent, and even saying that it's currently far better than it's been in the past, it's still going to greatly benefit from Jay and Melody getting elbows deep under the hood.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
I bounced off the rules until I saw the COMP/CON character/mech builder. Screwing around with that tool was a lot easier than learning from the PDF.

But I mostly backed for the lore and art in the first place!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Calde posted:

I bounced off the rules until I saw the COMP/CON character/mech builder. Screwing around with that tool was a lot easier than learning from the PDF.

But I mostly backed for the lore and art in the first place!

The rules aren't very well laid out for new players and there are things missing from the character creation rules that you need to do for character creation, so hopefully it gets a lot of TLC during print layout

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah, editing and layout can make or break this sort of poo poo so I'm really hoping it comes out of the kickstarter with some really good production values and TLC for such things. COMP/CON does own though and makes chargen and management super easy compared to writing poo poo down by hand.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There are examples of what the layout is going to look like on the KS page:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, editing and layout can make or break this sort of poo poo so I'm really hoping it comes out of the kickstarter with some really good production values and TLC for such things. COMP/CON does own though and makes chargen and management super easy compared to writing poo poo down by hand.

Jay Iles aka Flavivirus is a regular poster here and she's worked on several games of her own, including Legacy: Life Among the Ruins, What Ho!, and she just wrapped up a successful KS for the Mysthea RPG. Owning some of the stuff she's done and seeing other samples of her work, I have absolutely no doubts that Lancer is gonna come out of the process looking sick as hell.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I ran my first session of this game and it was great. Lancer is real cool

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

I ran my first session of this game and it was great. Lancer is real cool

You should absolutely drop by the discord and give your impressions if you feel like there's anything the designers should hear, even this far along in the process actual play feedback is appreciated.

Also I feel like with the Kickstarter running there isn't really as much point in me posting art updates but heck, I might as well.

First of the Long Rim mechs is up, showcasing the Kobold. I'll admit when I first say the silhouette I thought the slag tanks on its back were going to be some sort of tumorous growths.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Kai Tave posted:

You should absolutely drop by the discord and give your impressions if you feel like there's anything the designers should hear, even this far along in the process actual play feedback is appreciated.

I have actually and you've answered a bunch of dumb rules questions I had that I just missed when reading, which I really appreciate!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

i've been trying to nail down what it is about horus that bugs me, and i think i figured it out. on paper they should be my faves, the anarchist collective that arms slave uprisings? hell yeah! but i just don't care for their aesthetic. spikes and gribble leave me cold. also none of their mechs seem to play in a way i like, which is annoying. and they come across as a bit to much like 40K chaos, with the whole inscrutable schemers bit. and i don't like the RA cult.

poo poo that's more than one thing.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thatbastardken posted:

i've been trying to nail down what it is about horus that bugs me, and i think i figured it out. on paper they should be my faves, the anarchist collective that arms slave uprisings? hell yeah! but i just don't care for their aesthetic. spikes and gribble leave me cold. also none of their mechs seem to play in a way i like, which is annoying. and they come across as a bit to much like 40K chaos, with the whole inscrutable schemers bit. and i don't like the RA cult.

poo poo that's more than one thing.

Do remember that the aesthetics are wholly up to the player, the art is just what Tom wanted to draw. It's canon that designs can look entirely different from the official art. The playstyle and is harder to really change, though with customization all you really need is a chassis you enjoy the stats and active CORE of, and you can change the rest around (which is the whole concept of the game, really).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kai Tave posted:

Jay Iles aka Flavivirus is a regular poster here and she's worked on several games of her own, including Legacy: Life Among the Ruins, What Ho!, and she just wrapped up a successful KS for the Mysthea RPG. Owning some of the stuff she's done and seeing other samples of her work, I have absolutely no doubts that Lancer is gonna come out of the process looking sick as hell.

Jay’s involvement is what tipped me over to backing, in fact!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah I'm not going to begrudge someone who opens a 500+ page single column pdf and goes "what the gently caress?" It really ISN'T very onerous but it's not very well laid out, compression is currently nonexistent, and even saying that it's currently far better than it's been in the past, it's still going to greatly benefit from Jay and Melody getting elbows deep under the hood.

That's why I backed it. I knew it had something going for it, but reading the PDF my eyes started to glaze over, especially with that page count.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

The Gate posted:

Do remember that the aesthetics are wholly up to the player, the art is just what Tom wanted to draw. It's canon that designs can look entirely different from the official art. The playstyle and is harder to really change, though with customization all you really need is a chassis you enjoy the stats and active CORE of, and you can change the rest around (which is the whole concept of the game, really).

yeah true

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

gently caress RA, though.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

grassy gnoll posted:

gently caress RA, though.
Not until I build It a body capable of holding Its divinity.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Nah.

RA is a whole bunch of extraneous words just to communicate "here is some wizard bullshit." It's one thing to have some weird semi-omniscient, omnipotent god-force that's relatively static and uninvolved - the Five Voices are just kind of there in the background, operating on a level the players will never interact with - while RA is basically up in everyone's business, and equally like to give you a symbolic trip into the deeper nature of meaning as it is to jump out from behind a corner and go "neh heh heh, I have ruined your life, now haven't you learned your lesson??"

If RA had ollied out to another dimension and the Horus cultists were actually behind it all, trying to put their human baggage on this inherently inhuman thing, I could get behind that. As it is, RA literally speaks to both the characters and the players in the text, it's everywhere and inescapable, and it's loving obnoxious.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

grassy gnoll posted:

Nah.

RA is a whole bunch of extraneous words just to communicate "here is some wizard bullshit." It's one thing to have some weird semi-omniscient, omnipotent god-force that's relatively static and uninvolved - the Five Voices are just kind of there in the background, operating on a level the players will never interact with - while RA is basically up in everyone's business, and equally like to give you a symbolic trip into the deeper nature of meaning as it is to jump out from behind a corner and go "neh heh heh, I have ruined your life, now haven't you learned your lesson??"

If RA had ollied out to another dimension and the Horus cultists were actually behind it all, trying to put their human baggage on this inherently inhuman thing, I could get behind that. As it is, RA literally speaks to both the characters and the players in the text, it's everywhere and inescapable, and it's loving obnoxious.

RA is the weakest part of the lore for me, since it's where the writers give in entirely to just muttering "paracausal" while waving their hands and going "WooOOOooO." There's a lot of technobabble nonsense elsewhere, but RA is nothing BUT technobabble nonsense.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

It's a serious shame that I'll never be able to convince any of my friends to run lancer so I can have a stab at playing it too. They're all babies and won't run anything that isn't generic fantasy

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Is it also assumed RA is who showed up (in square form!) and made the Aun jedis, cause that threw me for a loop and was dumb as hell.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Springfield Fatts posted:

Is it also assumed RA is who showed up (in square form!) and made the Aun jedis, cause that threw me for a loop and was dumb as hell.

No, that is a different entity.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Springfield Fatts posted:

While I'm not sure its been straight-out confirmed, most of the setting info points to Mentat Aun and RA being distinct and different entities.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

PoultryGeist posted:

While I'm not sure its been straight-out confirmed, most of the setting info points to Mentat Aun and RA being distinct and different entities.

Mostly because Metat Aun isn't constantly talking about how cool and smart it is.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Ratoslov posted:

Mostly because Metat Aun isn't constantly talking about how cool and smart it is.

Sometimes, the shittiest hype-man is yourself

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
A term I keep seeing mentioned in the lore, but can't for the life of me find a definition for is "anthrochauvanistic". Does anyone know what it means?

Edit: Looks like they explained it in the new lore reference

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 17, 2019

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i kind of really like RA :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

everythingWasBees posted:

i kind of really like RA :shobon:

:respek: I actually like the RA/HORUS lore alot too, but I can see how it could rub folks the wrong way.