Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Azerban posted:

Stormblood gave you Heavensward for free, right? I'd hope they'd catch you right up with SB2.

Yeah was just wondering if I could just get shadowbringers to get storm blood along wit it or if I would have to piecemeal it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

The Grimace posted:

:negative:

servers just died as my BA group was preparing to enter our portals for the actual dungeon after an hour and a half of prep.

yoshi why

DDoS attacks rather than something they did by accident.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/c5635c71844194ef3f02ea2a5ce34829165cce33

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Glagha posted:

Why's that? Because the lore suggests that all player Viera are outcasts because they left? So if all the female Viera are breaking the rules why can't there be male Viera who are also breaking the rules by being out and about? Or what's the exile thing about?

ImpAtom posted:

Yes that is my point. Women are rare exiles. No reason men can't be.
I guarantee the two of you (and everyone else here) are putting more thought into this than Square-Enix has.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Futaba Anzu posted:

Yeah was just wondering if I could just get shadowbringers to get storm blood along wit it or if I would have to piecemeal it

just confirming what was said before, if you buy shadowbringers you will get every previous expansion, but not until it actually releases

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I guarantee the two of you (and everyone else here) are putting more thought into this than Square-Enix has.

bunny boys were never on the table, and female viera were a thing that looks to have been forced on them.

basically people have it backwards. It's not that you can't have bunny boys because strong ronso exist. It's that you can't have ronso women because female viera exist.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Ciaphas posted:

(Actually, I'm not sure even Raise is considered canon? Or does the game just ignore the whole Use A Phoenix Down On Aeris thing, I genuinely don't recall)
The Conjurer questline calls Raise out as being an actual thing during its "Don't be a honest healer you dumb fucks" plot. I think it's at the end of the level ten quest that Sylphie comes in and says she's almost figured out how to cast Raise, and E-Sumi-Yan basically turns to you and explains why that would be a really bad thing for her to do.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yapping Eevee posted:

The Conjurer questline calls Raise out as being an actual thing during its "Don't be a honest healer you dumb fucks" plot. I think it's at the end of the level ten quest that Sylphie comes in and says she's almost figured out how to cast Raise, and E-Sumi-Yan basically turns to you and explains why that would be a really bad thing for her to do.

Raise isn't a bad spell to cast, it's a bad spell for Sylphie to cast because she's ignoring the elemental parts of her training so she's just using her own life force to cast healing spells instead of drawing from the elements

I just started leveling CNJ last week so it's really fresh on my mind :v:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, and Raise doesn't literally bring people back from the dead, just from near-death.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Yeah, and Raise doesn't literally bring people back from the dead, just from near-death.
Raise cures KO, not dead. This isn't Dragon Quest.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not that I agree with their dumbass gender split, because I don't, but they actually did put fair amount of thought into it and I can see where they're coming from, even if I don't agree.

My happy's interview with Naoki Yoshida posted:

Many western players were surprised when it was revealed that Hrothgar and Viera would not have both genders available, especially after the efforts the team went through to provide more options with Miqo’te and Roegadyn in 2.0. Why did the team decide to do two different races with one gender each instead of one race with both genders?

A.) The timing of the game launch, the races needed to have each gender counterpart for ARR. When I took over for ARR, I wanted to fill the missing gender to make those races seem complete. What is different now compared to then. After multiple expansions, the situation isn’t the same as when we released the base game. My answer will be quite long…

This game has been launched for 6 years currently. It has tens of thousands of armors available. We have to make sure every race can use every outfit correctly. The more unique the appearance of the race, the more difficult these adjustments are to make.

When we create one gear, we have to make adjustments so it fits all these different races. So when we add new races, we have to adjust how to approach this process. The development cost for making a new race is very intense because of how much work we put into the graphics of the game. We also have to make sure these things all work properly. Thats why we are saying these may be the last races because of how taxing it is on the development team.

We wanted to give players options and freedom to choose more races. We envisioned adding a new race, but people really wanted the Viera to play in-game. So if we add another new race that isn’t Viera, people might wonder why we didn’t do Viera, so we had to add them for sure.

We had a big discussion back when we added Au ra in Heavensward about whether to add Au ra or Viera. We knew we only had Female Viera for reference, so we had no idea what to do for the Male variant. We would have to use our own imagination for that. There was fear about how we would approach that. Perhaps an elezen body with a miqo’te face and bunny ears. Would this be the right way to add this race to the game?

When we create a fantasy game, especially for FF14. We have a good variety of races. We don’t really need any more cute or sweet looking characters because we have so many as it is.

Especially for FF14, we have many symbols of power or strength such as Highlander and Roegadyns. We wanted something more animal like. Its not that we wanted to create a wild west of characters, but we do need a good variety. So the simple answer is: Viera was sought after so we had to add those. To expand the game and its options, we also wanted to add Hrothgar.

As a follow up, is the team considering adding the other gender for these two races in future expansions?

A.) Short answer is we haven’t made a decision on that. The reason why we can’t say for sure. We need to optimize our work flow with the existing races and the new ones. After that, perhaps we do the other gender. But we don’t know right now.

We did consider Male Viera instead of adding an extra race, but we tried to take player feedback on adding a more beast like race as well as the strong desire to receive Viera. We did expect strong feedback on the gender lock. It was a tough decision, but we decided to do our best to meet both the player feedback and our development team’s vision. It will be very costly to add a new race or genders. So I won’t say no, but I would not like to set expectations high.

We haven’t had time to look at all of the feedback since this is our first day back at the office after the Tokyo Fan Festival. What was the general feedback from NA based on your experience? Were they upset about no Male Viera, no Female Hrothgar or both?

Me.) It has been a heated topic. Some players are okay, while many players are upset about the gender locking. Many are disappointed about no Male Viera, but with the Female Hrothgar I’ve seen some people be even more upset. This is because in The First Shard they are called Ronso, and in FFX there are plenty of female Ronso.

A.) Thank you for the insight. Currently, we are putting together all the feedback. Depending on the feedback we are considering an official statement on the forums.

Edit: Of course, the lore is loving awful but no surprise there since sun catte lore is just as bad and so are at least 1/4th of au ra tribe lore.

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte
My favorite thing about the concept of balance is how lovely it is.

Like, if catboy E'dward Jenner invented vaccines would life get too good and some other shard gets flooded with light?

Or is it, "No actually kicking puppies is good because otherwise things would be too nice"

It's like, every time you do a good deed a sineater gets its wings.

I'm still cautiously optimistic but they're not exactly starting from a great place in terms of writing.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

bunny boys were never on the table, and female viera were a thing that looks to have been forced on them.

basically people have it backwards. It's not that you can't have bunny boys because strong ronso exist. It's that you can't have ronso women because female viera exist.

Nobody forced them to make female viera instead of female hrothgar, they specifically decided to do that. You can say it was based on "player feedback" on wanting vieras or whatever, but the way they implemented it has unsurprisingly resulted in a lot of negative feedback for them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Valleyant posted:

There's nothing especially weird about it, especially in the cultural context of Japan, which has been influenced by hundreds of years of Taoist thinking. It's not even that peculiar in the West, unless you've never heard of Hegel.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Valleyant posted:

Like, if catboy E'dward Jenner invented vaccines would life get too good and some other shard gets flooded with light?

Or is it, "No actually kicking puppies is good because otherwise things would be too nice"

I'm still cautiously optimistic but they're not exactly starting from a great place in terms of writing.

It made a lot more sense when they tackled this plot in XI because it wasn't about balance or emotions but the actions of specific deities. Altana was the goddess of Light and created the playable races, Only it turned out how she did that was by stealing Promatheia, the god of Darkness's power. Ultimately the player has to destroy Promatheia because even though he was wronged and Altana isn't right or good, him winning kills everyone.

It being tied to the concept of balance obscures that direct chain of action and makes things weird, especially when Hydaelyn and Zodiark are actual gods mucking about. With how it's been set up so far I wonder if there really is a way to end the plot that isn't just https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en Which uh...would be an awkward time for that to be your story beat.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Valleyant posted:

Pretty sure floods happen more when the champions of light or dark are killed or destroyed more than just good or bad things happening. At least that's what happened in the two flooded shards we know about

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't have much faith that its going to be good or original, but I suspect that a lot of this expansion is going to be trying to dispense everyone of the idea that light/dark are necessarily good/bad instead of just two aspects of magic or whatever that are represented by two dispassionate gods

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I imagine that's why when we go to the first we'll be killing light monsters and not just like, kicking puppies

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If I'm right its literally going to be the "Maybe The Truth Is In The Middle" expansion and on one hand that's gonna suck no matter how they do it, but maybe they can pull it off... The ending of it for sure is going to be both sides realizing that they can't let either god win though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IIRC Zodiark was split off from Mama Crystal and I suspect the idea is going to be the imbalance is that more than "evil is actually good" and the goal will be trying to reconnect them in a way that isn't pure Ascian shitheadery before something Very Bad happens, which is a big setting-changing beat that leaves the setting intact for infinite play/expansions. Probably not this expansion though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

johnny park posted:

I imagine that's why when we go to the first we'll be killing light monsters and not just like, kicking puppies

yeah becoming the warrior of darkness seems more like beating up light elementals rather than doing evil deeds. which makes sense because you cant make an entire expansion out of harming innocents but also seems like a pretty boring change on the surface

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

IcePhoenix posted:

Raise isn't a bad spell to cast, it's a bad spell for Sylphie to cast because she's ignoring the elemental parts of her training so she's just using her own life force to cast healing spells instead of drawing from the elements

I just started leveling CNJ last week so it's really fresh on my mind :v:
Didn't say it was a bad spell, just that it was canon as a spell that exists for non-players. :v:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Countblanc posted:

yeah becoming the warrior of darkness seems more like beating up light elementals rather than doing evil deeds. which makes sense because you cant make an entire expansion out of harming innocents but also seems like a pretty boring change on the surface

My take is that it's going to involve being more morally questionable than previous expansions. Considering that they have Eulmore set up as an apparent hub on the main page, I'm gonna be pissed if the storyline for it doesn't involve executing the extremely useless upper class to commandeer its resources for the war.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Vermain posted:

My take is that it's going to involve being more morally questionable than previous expansions. Considering that they have Eulmore set up as an apparent hub on the main page, I'm gonna be pissed if the storyline for it doesn't involve executing the extremely useless upper class to commandeer its resources for the war.

ShB: the :thermidor: expansion?

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Vermain posted:

:henget:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope after we mass murder the bourgeois we learn our lesson as we return to our home world and finally put Nanamo to the guillotine.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Vermain posted:

Realistically the only way to top heavensward.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leal posted:

I hope after we mass murder the bourgeois we learn our lesson as we return to our home world and finally put Nanamo to the guillotine.

Long live Sultan Godbert Manderville!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

stopping the dragonsong war by telling niddhogg he's just a tool used by the bourgeois to make his dragons and the ishgardians fighting them easier to control

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I look forward to each and every one of you Renegade jerks being deeply disappointed.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Nobody forced them to make female viera instead of female hrothgar, they specifically decided to do that. You can say it was based on "player feedback" on wanting vieras or whatever, but the way they implemented it has unsurprisingly resulted in a lot of negative feedback for them.

I think that if they had announced male/female hrothgar without announcing viera, the reaction would have been even worse. People are loving psychopaths about viera.

Which is dumb because veira suck.

FF12 is one of the weakest games in the series.

And viera are boring as gently caress.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I'm not sure they would have gotten a bigger reaction if it wasn't Viera to be honest. The genderlock thread hit 500 pages in about a month which was some poo poo.

You right about Viera being lame though. I really don't see what they add to this game that already has cats and lizards. Same could be said for Hrothgar though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I'm not sure they would have gotten a bigger reaction if it wasn't Viera to be honest. The genderlock thread hit 500 pages in about a month which was some poo poo.

You right about Viera being lame though. I really don't see what they add to this game that already has cats and lizards. Same could be said for Hrothgar though.

Yeah, I'm not really interested in either of them. You can already pretend to be a Viera with the bunny ears, or be a Roe in a lion mask for a knockoff Hrothgar. I know there's people out there who would have never stopped clamoring for their chance to be a sexy bunny lady, but I'm pretty sure they're a relatively small percentage of players that are just really loud and annoying.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Waah waaah people who like a thing I don't get something that's cool to them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just saw this in another thread, seems applicable.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Viera are a great race in the Ivalice games, and whatever gets us closer to an FF12 MMO the better.

edit: Although I do enjoy the hell out of the Gnath, even if they're pretending not to be Urutan-Yensa. I know what they are.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

i dont understand the appeal of the addition of new races to this game since they cost irl money to use assuming you arent some insane psycho that makes an alt. i wouldnt pay us dollars for regular glamour and i wont do it for what is essentially racial glamour since races dont have stats

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

johnny park posted:

i dont understand the appeal of the addition of new races to this game since they cost irl money to use assuming you arent some insane psycho that makes an alt. i wouldnt pay us dollars for regular glamour and i wont do it for what is essentially racial glamour since races dont have stats

The game gives you multiple free Fantasias.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I still have my fantasia from the sub rewards. I've thought about using it but I picked the best race to begin with so there's no point.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

johnny park posted:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Waah waaah people who like a thing I don't get something that's cool to them.

But also you get 2 free fantasias if your accounts old enough. 1 if it's new-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Do you get more than 1? I used one back in ARR going from cat to lala but I haven't race changed since and I don't think I have another squirreled away.