Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Gunder posted:

I’ve returned to Warhammer for the first time since summer last year. I quite fancy a bit of Kill Team. Do we know how that particular game has been performing? I see that there are a few expansions available now, so it must be doing alright? Maybe I’ll finally paint that Skitarii team that came with the starter box.

Kill Team is doing VERY well for GW. Players seem to really enjoy it as well. KT Tournaments were pretty busy at Adepticon this year. Personally I am not a huge fan of the KT Arena expansion but that's me. I can see where it fits in. I am very much looking forward to the Elites expansion.

GW sees it as one of three ways to play 40k. Kill Team, Warhammer 40,000, and soon to be Apocalypse. So they are totally invested in it.

TKIY posted:

Yeah. Model A is chain cannon, heavy bolter or autocannon only. Model B is autocannon or heavy bolter only. Model C is ML or Lascannon only and so is model D.

So even though you get four each of Lascannon and ML in two boxes you need four boxes to build four of each.

I've bought three kits of them - yet havent begun assembly. Hmmm this is discouraging. But I will see what I can do to work around it a bit.

Deified Data posted:

When they do poo poo like try to nominate him for Warhammer Heroes they know they won't succeed, they're just doing it so he can do a video about how he was cruelly denied his rightful place in the fandom by the trans Muslim post-modernists or whatever at GW

I hadn't even considered that people would nominate him for this with that in mind. What a waste of energy and effort. It takes a lot of work to be that upset all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

I hadn't even considered that people would nominate him for this with that in mind. What a waste of energy and effort. It takes a lot of work to be that upset all the time.

I'm not sure you understand the right-wing grift machine. Sure, it's a ton of work to be mad at everything all the time but the dude makes a ton of money off of his persona. This is like an entire industry these days.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

TKIY posted:

Yeah. Model A is chain cannon, heavy bolter or autocannon only. Model B is autocannon or heavy bolter only. Model C is ML or Lascannon only and so is model D.

So even though you get four each of Lascannon and ML in two boxes you need four boxes to build four of each.

Wait what?? Man, what the actual gently caress. I was about to buy 2 boxes and just use ebay bits to put chaincannons on all 8, but poo poo like this (and the fact that the new terminator kit only comes with 1 chainaxe) is really discouraging me from starting this new Black Legion army I was excited to get going on.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If you're mad about it please e-mail gw.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DO IT TO IT posted:

Wait what?? Man, what the actual gently caress. I was about to buy 2 boxes and just use ebay bits to put chaincannons on all 8, but poo poo like this (and the fact that the new terminator kit only comes with 1 chainaxe) is really discouraging me from starting this new Black Legion army I was excited to get going on.

Well thank god WYSIWYG isn’t a thing anymore. Use your imagination to call it whatever you need it to be.

Is Forgeworld not allowed to produce stuff to fix wrongs like this?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
A buddy of mine says he managed to get 4 MLs and 4 Lascannons out of two Havoc kits, but I can't see how.

He's going to send pictures soon.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The website says you can mix and match Havocs with the regular CSM box. Is that what they want you to do?

" The set is even designed to be compatible with the Havocs, allowing you to mix and match heavy weapons for even more choice."

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Chaos-Space-Marines-2019

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
It means add a heavy weapon from the squad that doesn't come in the basic box. Its buying multiple boxes to make 1 complete squad.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm putting the Chain Cannons into my CSM squads and leaving the havocs for long range stuff. That was the plan anyhow...

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

Ghost Hand posted:

Havocs are $55 ;)

lmbo

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you don't want to spend $220+ on 4 boxes to get 4 chain guns, Pop! Goes the Monkey has an alternative that works.

He also has a couple different models.

Not as cool imo, but I also wouldn't want to spend that much just to get 4 chain guns.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

As posted earlier as well, minigun barrels (taurox is a perfect example) on heavy bolter bodies work great as well.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Zuul the Cat posted:

If you don't want to spend $220+ on 4 boxes to get 4 chain guns, Pop! Goes the Monkey has an alternative that works.

He also has a couple different models.

Not as cool imo, but I also wouldn't want to spend that much just to get 4 chain guns.

Another reason why orks are best. While the modern ork boyz sprue comes with a "big shoota", the real way to get one is to stick multiple shoots together end-to-end and/or on top of each other.

NightWonder
Nov 15, 2015

"I Use Psychic To Put Stuff In The Toilet."
So for a while now I've been wanting to try do a more melee focused army since I've noticed a lot of my list typically involves a lot of shooting since I mainly play Ultramarines. After thinking about it for a while I decided to pick up Blood Angels, but instead of going all out on an army I decided to soup in some Angels into my Ultramarines list for a game I had lined up against my friend's Imperial Fist. I brought in a Smash Captain, a 10 man Death Company with basic load outs, and two Vanguard Squad with lightning Claws as well as two models with storm shields with power hammers or power axs. All four units where equip with jumppacks

For the most part they preformed well, though I forgot about red thirst the first time the Death Company and Smash Captain charged.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
So the best -body- for CsM Havoc chaingun conversions would be buying a box of the new regular CSM?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't get the deal with the havocs, are the bodies actually single pose? Like arms attached?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think there's two sets of rifle style arms and two sets of shoulder mounted arms.

I'm not sure if regular CSM are the same size as the new Havocs, they're apparently on 40mm bases and might be a bit bigger.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
There is a good model on thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3515778

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
You should just remove that.

Bitz are one thing. Printing models? Not a :filez: thread

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

You wouldn't download a chaos god!

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

evol262 posted:

Yeah but isnt that just a 3rd party model and not an actual direct copy of a GW one?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

evol262 posted:

Its not a direct copy and its on a very public site.

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 12, 2019

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Yeah but isnt that just a 3rd party model and not an actual direct copy of a GW one?

I have a printer (mostly used for terrain), and I'm not a mod, but it's a fine line. Changing the eye of horus to a skull and removing the trim on the pauldrons doesn't mean it isn't is a derivative work.

If people want to print their own models, they know where to find them (and knew without a link, since I don't think a single person with a 3d printer is unaware of thingiverse)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

evol262 posted:

I have a printer (mostly used for terrain), and I'm not a mod, but it's a fine line. Changing the eye of horus to a skull and removing the trim on the pauldrons doesn't mean it isn't is a derivative work.

If people want to print their own models, they know where to find them (and knew without a link, since I don't think a single person with a 3d printer is unaware of thingiverse)

Only reason I posted it was because there are 20 comments about people looking for the guns. Now they know have another option. Its not really any different than posting Shapeways links

Here is something I didn't know; GW uses printing to do their masters. I wonder how long they've been doing it this way, but you can see the tell-tale lines here

goodness fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 12, 2019

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

i sure am tired of all these war hammers

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goodness posted:

Only reason I posted it was because there are 20 comments about people looking for the guns. Now they know have another option. Its not really any different than posting Shapeways links

Here is something I didn't know; GW uses printing to do their masters. I wonder how long they've been doing it this way, but you can see the tell-tale lines here

It makes a lot of sense to use AM to build prototypes, especially with a CAD based system. I wouldn't be surprised if years from now they offer components printed on demand. Imagine being able to order an entire squad where you pick each pose.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if years from now they offer components printed on demand. Imagine being able to order an entire squad where you pick each pose.

Something like that would be the only way they will be able to compete with home printing if it keeps advancing like it has been. I don't think they will ever sell their design files, but that is a plausible alternative.

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 12, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goodness posted:

Something like that would be the only way they will be able to compete with home printing if it keeps advancing like it has been. I don't think they will ever sell their design files, but that is a plausible alternative.

Pretty much. And no, they can't sell the files. They'll just be copied and shared.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
I imagine a future where GW stores have 3D printers named “Bitz Box” where you can just go in and print bitz on demand. Or put an order in via the web and pickup at a local store. Then later they license them to other B&M shops, but it still lets them keep all the files in their own proprietary ecosystem.

“My shop near me has a GW bitz box, want me to pick you up a rotorcannon?” Etc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gunder posted:

I’ve returned to Warhammer for the first time since summer last year. I quite fancy a bit of Kill Team. Do we know how that particular game has been performing? I see that there are a few expansions available now, so it must be doing alright? Maybe I’ll finally paint that Skitarii team that came with the starter box.

The thing is since Kill Team ties directly into 40k and operates as a "intro to 40k" where you can use the same models to start your 40k army once you're definitely hooked on the hobby, I can't see GW not supporting the hell out of it forever. It just makes tons of business sense and requires very little extra work.

And yeah, its popular.

TKIY posted:

Super super lame GW!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

“My shop near me has a GW bitz box, want me to pick you up a hundred discontinued Slaaneshi breasts?” Etc

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any recommended 40k pod casts?

I've been listening to independent characters and need some more content to listen to in work

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Oh wow. I thought they did some sort of minor update of the sprue around when the 4th edition codex came out that added the underslung shuriken cannon option but its just a thing that was on the Serpent/Prism sprues.

I didn't realize the Falcon was the same model this entire time and ordering one in TYOOL still comes default with a scatter laser and twin catapult.

Also I remember the current Fire Prism/Nightspinner kit being this weird out of nowhere release years after the codex.

The Spinner was really weird, it dropped in like late 5th ed with WD rules out of nowhere. No other Eldar releases for about 4 years before, and a long while before the 6th ed book. A total mystery.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

gilljoy posted:

Any recommended 40k pod casts?

I've been listening to independent characters and need some more content to listen to in work

Well I guess I may as well be the first to link to it, obligatory Badcast post https://40kbadcast.com/

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Corrode posted:

The Spinner was really weird, it dropped in like late 5th ed with WD rules out of nowhere. No other Eldar releases for about 4 years before, and a long while before the 6th ed book. A total mystery.

At the time they were making a visible effort to get rid of plastic/metal hybrid kits, and as the Fire Prism had a big unbalanced chunk of alloy glued to the turret it had to be looked at. Finecast was never going to cut it here, so it made more sense to design a new sprue which of course had space to be a dual kit. Hence the Night Spinner.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

xtothez posted:

At the time they were making a visible effort to get rid of plastic/metal hybrid kits, and as the Fire Prism had a big unbalanced chunk of alloy glued to the turret it had to be looked at. Finecast was never going to cut it here, so it made more sense to design a new sprue which of course had space to be a dual kit. Hence the Night Spinner.

That’s my memory of it too. Wasn’t the Night Spinner a forgeworld model previously as well?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
So a friend has a big mix of Eldar stuff including a reasonable corsair force.

I know where this is going, but I thought I'd ask anyway, there's no way he can use his Corsair Vampire Raider to transport the corsair anymore is there?

It's bizarre that they didn't include the keyword.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

goodness posted:

I wonder how long they've been doing it this way, but you can see the tell-tale lines here

They've been using rapid prototypes for at least eleven years.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
They have to start painting the models up to a year in advance of the release due to racing to get box art, promotional materials, photos etc all done in time for shipment. They wish they were able to paint on plastic but it's resin based on 3d prints all the way for the 'eavy metal team. They're doing loads of dedicated 'eavy metal stuff on Warhammer TV these days if you're interested in their techniques and the mechanics of producing this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
post the worst model art you have seen for GW/FW

mines this sexy transfer https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-AU/Night-Lords-Leviathan-Dreadnought-2019