Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

At one point, a bunch of colleagues and I started looking up who had the lowest rated movie on RT. I had 2 at 8% :toot:

My worst is 5% :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2019

Odddzy posted:

drat man, why did you post that horrible thing!! EW!!! U suck!!!
drat this is exactly what I didn't want to happen.

Finished it up in my downtime today.

500 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 9, 2019

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

500 posted:

drat this is exactly what I didn't want to happen.

Finished it up in my downtime today.

That snowflake looks loving amazing. Great job!

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
9% for Marmaduke for me. :haw:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

cubicle gangster posted:

For what it's worth, I'm still not totally with you. Balancing life and work is a thing but career artists don't have the same issues that Picasso did.
I have trouble balancing my professional work with personal because I always put more effort and time into the professional work; it pays the bills. Coming home and putting 100+ hours into a personal project is difficult to justify. It's not a dance, it's basic economics. Burnout doesn't come into it, I'm pretty sure my team is happy and content with what they work on.

I am pretty sure Picasso was a "career artist". That's my point. It is a dance. Trying to maintain any balance between personal and professional can be a dance. Also, it can take time to develop skillsets outside of work and certainly "career artists" get burned out due to their environment. If I was forced to do nothing but 3d hair / fur all day I know I would go a little nuts but a lot of artists are forced to specialize in order to get a job etc. ... and so on...

4.4 on IMD but no RT

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 10, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

sigma 6 posted:

I am pretty sure Picasso was a "career artist". That's my point. It is a dance. Trying to maintain any balance between personal and professional can be a dance. Also, it can take time to develop skillsets outside of work and certainly "career artists" get burned out due to their environment. If I was forced to do nothing but 3d hair / fur all day I know I would go a little nuts but a lot of artists are forced to specialize in order to get a job etc. ... and so on...

4.4 on IMD but no RT

“Thurlow, whose credits at Japanese studios include Nakamura-Productions and Pierrot Studios, has ended up in the hospital three times due to exhaustion and illness. Amazingly, he still thinks the experience has been worth it because the anime projects he’s worked on in Japan have been more creatively satisfying than American productions:

“When I was working as an animator in New York I could afford an apartment, buy stuff, and had time to ‘live a life.’ But the artist inside of me was screaming at the fact I wasn’t making really high-quality feature films and series. Now everything about my life is utterly horrible, however the artist in me is completely satisfied.””

Lol this is never gonna change

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Big K of Justice posted:

I'm doing some modelling work -> 3d printing -> mold making -> casting at the moment.

Right now I'm starting with pewter sculptures, I use high temperature silicon molds that I made up out of glued together 3d prints. I should be able to use the same technique with aluminum and zamak/kirksite [die cast alloy] but past that getting into bronze and other high temp metals you'll need to move to sand casting as one option.

I'd probably talk to experienced casters of bronze. I know some guys work with brass with backyard forges but they're nuts, they have no temperature control and while the copper is at the melting point, the zinc is at the vaporization point and zinc oxides aren't fun to deal with.

Your big issue is going to be scale, or how big the item is, building a template and building a mold around that to cast in.

Thanks for the info... it might be a bit before I can come back to this. I'm thinking about 3 or so feetish tall. And it won't have to be bronze... just a metal that can survive living outdoors in North Carolina mountains.

Also... I wouldn't cast it myself! Mostly looking for a service to take a 3D sculpture and do all the work for me. :v:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

“When I was working as an animator in New York I could afford an apartment, buy stuff, and had time to ‘live a life.’ But the artist inside of me was screaming at the fact I wasn’t making really high-quality feature films and series. Now everything about my life is utterly horrible, however the artist in me is completely satisfied.””[/i]

Hell yeah dude, that's badass man.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

just started blocking out a fighter/bomber. i was thinking to myself "what if the empire made an a-wing"

would love feedback

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Kanine posted:

just started blocking out a fighter/bomber. i was thinking to myself "what if the empire made an a-wing"

would love feedback

(fixed)

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 11, 2019

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

“Thurlow, whose credits at Japanese studios include Nakamura-Productions and Pierrot Studios, has ended up in the hospital three times due to exhaustion and illness. Amazingly, he still thinks the experience has been worth it because the anime projects he’s worked on in Japan have been more creatively satisfying than American productions:

“When I was working as an animator in New York I could afford an apartment, buy stuff, and had time to ‘live a life.’ But the artist inside of me was screaming at the fact I wasn’t making really high-quality feature films and series. Now everything about my life is utterly horrible, however the artist in me is completely satisfied.””

Lol this is never gonna change

Not that funny really. A lot of artist's push themselves far beyond what is healthy to make a living or keep a job. That's kind of my point here.

In any case, on the casting tip, Dominic Qwek is doing some cool stuff.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i was confused by the emptyquote but i quoted and saw u posted an image of a polygon that just was broken?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bah. wouldn't let me link the image...stand by :D (Now fixed)

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 11, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

update

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hm, like the other poster noted, it's very much the classic Cobra ship from the Elite games. https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Cobra_MkIV

Other than that, judging by the scale of the figure, you've got a huge glass cockpit but it's got bars the width of a man running through them?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

If you're aiming to hit the imperial aesthetic you probably should incorporate more design language from the other imperial fighters. The scale looks pretty off if its intended to be an "A-wing". Which is a tiny ship compared to a person.

The tie interceptor is kind of the canonical imperial version of an A-wing. When you look at it it looks like a standard tie fighter with faster looking wings.

Pretty much all the imperial fighters in Star Wars are some kind of combo of solar panel wings with a slender attachment to a central cockpit. Which to me at least are the elements that instantly scream imperial fighter from star wars.

mashed fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 11, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

It’s very easy to go wrong with tie fighters

A search for “Cool Tie fighters”

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

all of those are very cool, imo

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh jeez i didnt even realize those elite ships existed

i was mainly looking at homeworld deserts of kharak and fractal sponge and i guess that happened

Taffer posted:

all of those are very cool, imo
:yeah:

Kanine fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 12, 2019

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I agree those examples look either unweildy or overdone.

Whoever designed the original ships for Star Wars really hit it outta the park.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Ccs posted:

Shame this so-called fan who doesn't recognize canonical star wars ships when they see them.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Handiklap posted:

Shame this so-called fan who doesn't recognize canonical star wars ships when they see them.

The one from TIE Fighter with 3 wings is canon? I thought they threw all that away with the reboot.

The first one is "Automotive designer imagines TIE fighter", and it's a cool spaceship but doesn't say "Star Wars" to me. The others I don't know but they look horrible to me.

There's probably a design bible for the Empire out there

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

made some changes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ccs posted:

Whoever designed the original ships for Star Wars really hit it outta the park.

Ralph McQuarrie, one of the best of all time

Kanine posted:

made some changes

Overall this one looks like you've taken most of your design language from a star destroyer, which is fine but it's not the same language that is used for imperial fighters.

- imperial fighters don't have laser cannons that stick out like that -- they're little nubs
- TIE fighter cockpit windows are circular with radial segments, not triangles
- all of the TIE variants are very spindly and fragile looking -- this one is solid and chunky
- imperial fighters don't have fins. if you're gonna use them, at least go with the lambda-class shuttle for inspiration, which has one fin on the top and two on the bottom
- gotta have the solar panel wings somewhere!

Also the scale is better but it's still the size of a medium bomber. I would expect it to have at least two crew and maybe four. Imagine how much space your pilot has inside that cockpit. An A-wing is literally like half the size of what you've got.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sagebrush posted:

Overall this one looks like you've taken most of your design language from a star destroyer, which is fine but it's not the same language that is used for imperial fighters.

- imperial fighters don't have laser cannons that stick out like that -- they're little nubs
- TIE fighter cockpit windows are circular with radial segments, not triangles
- all of the TIE variants are very spindly and fragile looking -- this one is solid and chunky
- imperial fighters don't have fins. if you're gonna use them, at least go with the lambda-class shuttle for inspiration, which has one fin on the top and two on the bottom
- gotta have the solar panel wings somewhere!

Also the scale is better but it's still the size of a medium bomber. I would expect it to have at least two crew and maybe four. Imagine how much space your pilot has inside that cockpit. An A-wing is literally like half the size of what you've got.

tbh since ive been playing homeworld today and im feeling inspired im prob gonna pivot away from the whole imperial thing and give it a bright 70's sci fi color scheme when i texture it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Excellent observations, also from the games it was always implied that TIE fighters were disposable - no shields, minimal materials as mentioned, short range, even the pilot was expendable.

Vader got his special fighter with shields but he was loving Darth Vader.

Edit: Based on the TIE fighter game, back then, the counter to an A-Wing was a TIE interceptor

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 12, 2019

Apr 7, 2019

Funosaurus posted:

That snowflake looks loving amazing. Great job!
Thanks!

Been loving around with more webgl shader stuff lately. Here's a sun.

http://i.imgur.com/gRXH6RX.gifv

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
holy loving poo poo im using rizomuv today and this program is loving magic.

like drat everyone needs to check this out IMMEDIATELY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2QvajdFHes

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Kanine posted:

holy loving poo poo im using rizomuv today and this program is loving magic.

like drat everyone needs to check this out IMMEDIATELY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2QvajdFHes

Yeah I have been absolutely blown away by RizomUV. I think I found it due to this thread. That was an almost immediate purchase for me.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

just got done uv'ing with rizom. this thing has like 1000 uv islands and the uvs took a little over 30 minutes completely.

maps are all baked as well, so im almost ready to bring this into substance

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kanine posted:

just got done uv'ing with rizom. this thing has like 1000 uv islands and the uvs took a little over 30 minutes completely.

maps are all baked as well, so im almost ready to bring this into substance

Lookin' good. My only criticism is that it needs *more* fine sculpted detail to help with the scale. Right now the scale of it feels like a 10" toy. More fine details will make it feel real world.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Lookin' good. My only criticism is that it needs *more* fine sculpted detail to help with the scale. Right now the scale of it feels like a 10" toy. More fine details will make it feel real world.

Yeah, seconding this. Look at this image from upthread and notice how fine the details are, and how they're the main thing that gives you an intuitive sense of its scale. Also notice how fine details are clustered in points of interest, while larger elements (main wing body) don't need any fine elements. You have little greeble panels that are largely uniform size and distributtion, when you should have a bunch say, up at the top behind the cockpit window, or at the wingtip near the guns - but the main wing body should probably have fewer, the little seams should be enough for those areas.

Also, if you have 1000 UV islands you should probably be reconsidering your UV approach. Individual greebles don't need to be and shouldn't be on their own islands. Though I guess if you're only doing baked textures or in-editor texturing then it doesn't really matter.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Agree with other recent feedback.

I might rethink the position of those fins, and/or the way the meet the main body. Right now they come up from behind and below the main body, and right next to the engine cylinders. If you imagine the airflow around the base of the fin, it seems like it would be chaotic and turbulent in that region, in an asymmetrical way. Which you don't want around a stabilizing or control surface.

Of course Star Wars and sci-fi ships run on magic and not fluid dynamics, but I don't think many (if any) real world designs do something like that. And most semi-grounded sci-fi designs avoid it too, the leading edge of a fin or wing is unobstructed:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

BonoMan posted:

im gonna be adding a lot of lil stamps/greeblie bits in substance

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taffer posted:

Yeah, seconding this. Look at this image from upthread and notice how fine the details are, and how they're the main thing that gives you an intuitive sense of its scale. Also notice how fine details are clustered in points of interest, while larger elements (main wing body) don't need any fine elements. You have little greeble panels that are largely uniform size and distributtion, when you should have a bunch say, up at the top behind the cockpit window, or at the wingtip near the guns - but the main wing body should probably have fewer, the little seams should be enough for those areas.

Also, if you have 1000 UV islands you should probably be reconsidering your UV approach. Individual greebles don't need to be and shouldn't be on their own islands. Though I guess if you're only doing baked textures or in-editor texturing then it doesn't really matter.

oh lol i was exaggerating about how many uv islands its more like literally 200 or something

also hmm yeah i see what youre saying about detail distribution

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

500 posted:

Thanks!

Been loving around with more webgl shader stuff lately. Here's a sun.

http://i.imgur.com/gRXH6RX.gifv

This is fantastic work!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been playing around with caustics with the source objects invisible just because it's quick to do and the results are fun.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwM7w7WFrH1/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwIksLrHvXd/

I did it a long time ago too -
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb5CnJ_gUWp/

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

updoot

still working on adding some orange stripes along with small stamped tech details and other stuff like discoloration on the engine nozzles/gun muzzles

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've never done digital sculpting before - I've been working in CAD/CAM oriented software for a few years. On my colleague's recommendation, I downloaded Sculptaris to play around with and see what the buttons do.

I did a bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

really really need to move on and finish another project that's been lingering so I'm calling this starfighter finished for now.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zAK2Ed