Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Midig posted:

When someone has "X is typing" over discord, steam, facebook etc. for a really long time and you expect a wall of text, but in the end receive one or two sentences. How many times did you have to edit that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

That's totally me because before I hit enter I stop and ask myself if what I just typed is loving stupid, and 90% of the time it is.

You can’t give in to that fear. I don’t.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

BioEnchanted posted:

Same goes for when sequels take a simple character and make them just outright stupid when they weren't that way in the first story.

Didn't they do the reverse of this in Scream/Scream 2?

IIRC in the sequel the cop character pretty much outright says "Yeah I was only pretending to be a doofus in that last movie!" :downs:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

oldpainless posted:

You can’t give in to that fear. I don’t.

We know.

oldbrainless

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not everything needs a chat function. Why the gently caress would I ever want to chat with someone else looking at tabs on UltimateGuitar?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My guess is that most of those endless "X is Typing" incidents are actually "X accidentally typed something into the box and hasn't realized it yet"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Or "X started typing something, but then got distracted by their cat knocking poo poo over/their food finishing cooking/an actual live person with them starting to talk to them".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In my case it's often a bad joke that I thought better of and deleted.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
People walking away while I'm talking to them, for fucks sake I haven't even finished giving you the directions you asked for annnd now your gone, dick. It only ever happens when I'm at work too, I swear if I wasn't in a work uniform they wouldn't do it. (because I would call them rude to their face).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Kind of opposite situation: when people don't make it clear when they're done talking. A lot of times at work my boss/coworker will finish a sentence and kind of stare at their computer, and every time I take that as a "we're done talking now" gesture, they start a new sentence as soon as I make a move toward the door. It makes me wish the social norm was to formally dismiss someone like in the military so there is no ambiguity. It's super awkward for both parties when you aren't clear about it, because if they do want you gone they're wondering why the hell you're still standing there, and if they don't, you're trying to come up with a way of saying "are you thinking or are we done", and if you ask "are we done" when you aren't then they think you think you have somewhere better to be.

Just shoo me away at least, I won't be offended. It will save us both some time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

See I don’t have that problem, my boss tells me to get the gently caress out no fuss no muss

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Just say "OK I'm on it peace out"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Less pet peeves and more just odd turns of phrase:

I've always found the phrase "It's just a crutch" to mean something unnecessary that makes something easier to be a weird one, because if you need a crutch in the literal sense for walking, it's actually necessary. When you have a literal crutch it's actually not "just a crutch".

Also whoever invented apologising seemed to have gone out of their way to pick the most irritating word in the english language - "Sorry". It's such a weak word and it almost always sounds insincere, to the extent that it's never enough. It's hardly a word in itself, it's more of a conjunction, ideally leading into an explanation of why and how you hosed up and how you'll avoid doing it in the future, because there is nothing more annoying to hear after someone does something bad to you than "I'm soooooorry...."

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A crutch helps you manage a problem but doesn’t solve it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Dah! Knew I'd missed an obvious angle. :v:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Responding to a declarative sentence with "I don't know."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Responding to a declarative sentence with "I don't know."

Oh my God! I felt my adrenaline spike. I hate that!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Wearing watches on the inside of the wrist. I've heard lots of practical reasons for doing so that make perfect sense. It still pisses me off when I see it and I don't know why.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

It's sort of like wearing caps flipped back. Although it can be used that way to protect your neck from the sun, it's still obvious that it is just a fashion choice because gently caress it wearing it to protect your eyes is way more practical in day to day life.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Forward-facing baseball caps look dumb as all gently caress

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Backwards caps are the hat version of purely cosmetic glasses.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Backwards caps are the hat version of purely cosmetic glasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmmYMwFj1I

Collection of irritations

Although that one line in the song "Indeterminate sexual preference" has aged poorly, it's 9 years old and can be read as making fun of non-binary people.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Apr 12, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Forward-facing baseball caps look dumb as all gently caress

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Midig posted:

It's sort of like wearing caps flipped back. Although it can be used that way to protect your neck from the sun, it's still obvious that it is just a fashion choice because gently caress it wearing it to protect your eyes is way more practical in day to day life.

No, the watch thing is so weird and uncommon that I think a more accurate comparison would be the slanted backwards+upside down visor that people used to wear to protect their frosted tips.

Backwards hats just look better in a lot of cases. Plus at least it's not a fedora.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My mom was a nurse and she wore her watch facing inward. She said it was because it made checking people's pulses easier.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I wore my watch facing inwards in the army because it meant you could check the time without elbowing the dude marching next to you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People who upload albums to YouTube and put the length of each song next to the title instead of a time stamp, thus creating a bunch of time stamps 3-5 minutes into the video.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My apartment doing routine maintenance unannounced. They came to change a filter and spray for pests, which they do every 4 months or so, yesterday without warning. I was in the bath and KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK "MAINTENANCE HELLLOOOOO? MAINTENANCE!" then they tried to come in thinking I was gone, but my deadbolt was in so they left.

Aren't you supposed to give notice? I'm way too goony and awkward to gracefully answer the door when I'm wet and naked.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"I'm trying to open the lock but my hands are all slippery with blood! Oh god, there's so much blood!"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
That's why you always make sure there's a flared base on your jars.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

Ohhhhh, BASE! I thought that went in first...

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My apartment doing routine maintenance unannounced. They came to change a filter and spray for pests, which they do every 4 months or so, yesterday without warning. I was in the bath and KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK "MAINTENANCE HELLLOOOOO? MAINTENANCE!" then they tried to come in thinking I was gone, but my deadbolt was in so they left.

Aren't you supposed to give notice? I'm way too goony and awkward to gracefully answer the door when I'm wet and naked.

I think it's supposed to be something like 24 hours notice, sans an emergency like it's on fire or someshit. It may vary from state to state though.

I know my old apartment would give me exactly 24 hours, I'd come home with a notice saying they'd be in there tomorrow, on very rare occasions it was 48 hours. Basically they were just trying to catch people in the act of violating their rent agreement for probably blackmail and/or eviction purposes.

My new apartment, I'll get about 5 days notice, which means I can actually make arrangements, or take time off, etc.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

In all my leases it was pretty clearly spelled out, and it has always been 24 hours written notice (usually taped to your door) barring emergencies like the above mentioned fire or a burst pipe etc.

And yeah, it's basically just an excuse to make sure you're not turning the place into a crack den or something. I would honestly be surprised if they even bother replacing the filters if you aren't there, they just want to snoop around.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Didn't you post about how your german landlord walked into your room unannounced all the time?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Didn't you post about how your german landlord walked into your room unannounced all the time?

yeah i'm talking about a real american lease not whatever thing I signed with him at a bar after I moved in that I couldn't read.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Leavemywife posted:

Oh god, oh no

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cross post from FWP: I've been watching TV shows on youtube and on the Gordon Ramsay videos, the comments are all cute memes and that's fine, if repetitive.

However whenever I make the mistake of looking at the comments on "Can't Pay, We'll Take it away", all the comments are just plain racism despite the problems clearly being with 1) landlords jumping the gun trying to get outstanding rent and going to the high court (even in situations where they have already arranged payment)after just deciding "gently caress it we want the money NOW!", and 2) lazy council workers/solicitors not telling people that the high court is a possibility leaving people totally unprepared. Certainly there are some tenants that do take the piss, but for the most part they are victims in the situation, and the repo agents understand that and make things as easy as possible for them.

I shouldn't scroll down but I just can't help it sometimes. Also the title is too aggressive and feeds into the negative stereotypes of repo men that make their jobs harder in the first place. Especially given that often they stretch their powers to the limit to give the tenants more leniency if possible, offering help with aspect of the process like contacting the council to get emergency housing for them, or offering the use of their van to move larger items. Often if the person literally has no way of paying they'll contact the landlord to see if they'll agree to soften the blow by allowing a "vacation lease" for an extra few nights or agree to a payment plan that's a little under what they initially wanted each month. At one point one agent mentions that they'd normally escalate to stage 2, which includes tacking on more fees for the court process, but says that he will decline doing so, so that she only has to pay the initial amount.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:49 on Apr 13, 2019

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ugh everything about that show seems so gross to me. I love the dumb cheesy traffic cops programs which are mostly pulling over drunk drivers and catching burglars using *extremely northern voice* THE POLICE CHOPPER

Then I go make some toast and and come back to a baliff throwing a family out of their flat or walking off with their washing machine. Lovely.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

Ugh everything about that show seems so gross to me. I love the dumb cheesy traffic cops programs which are mostly pulling over drunk drivers and catching burglars using *extremely northern voice* THE POLICE CHOPPER

Then I go make some toast and and come back to a baliff throwing a family out of their flat or walking off with their washing machine. Lovely.

The whole thing just gives a lot of perspective - I'm incredibly lucky compared to many people - I have a stable income, an affordable flat that leaves me enough to buy little niceties like videogames, a decent landlady who fixes problems fairly promptly, relatively low debt that due to it just being Student Loans I can pay off just when I can with no time pressure, no dependants, and no major mental or physical health issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I guess it wouldn't be good tv if people were all agreeable and just paid their bills or moved out without making a fuzz. But a little sadistic part of me is glad this is happening because they are so arrogant (or being difficult on purpose) that they think they know better than professionals who have done that very specific thing for 10 years.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:11 on Apr 14, 2019