Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Sometimes it really is players trying to reach Dev's about their frustrations the only way they can

https://twitter.com/chetfaliszek/status/1113495747922518017

Review bombing seemed to work when FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster reverted a patch that would not run the game if it was in Steam Offline mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

BexGu posted:

Sometimes it really is players trying to reach Dev's about their frustrations the only way they can

Review bombing seemed to work when FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster reverted a patch that would not run the game if it was in Steam Offline mode.

To be fair, review bombing a game because an update made the game literally unplayable for some players is a little different in context than review bombing a game because its publisher won't be selling the sequel on Steam until next year.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Some of those instances are legitimate reasons to review bomb though. Like Bethesda still selling versions of Fallout 3 but don't bother to change one line of code so it can work on a system that isn't Vista or Rockstar's hostility towards mods. This isn't always consumers being shitheads kind of deal. And isn't a year of exclusivity from a store a bit of a gently caress you to the people who may have bought the game for that storefront.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

Crabtree posted:

Some of those instances are legitimate reasons to review bomb though. Like Bethesda still selling versions of Fallout 3 but don't bother to change one line of code so it can work on a system that isn't Vista or Rockstar's hostility towards mods. This isn't always consumers being shitheads kind of deal. And isn't a year of exclusivity from a store a bit of a gently caress you to the people who may have bought the game for that storefront.

Hmmmmmm

No

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

BexGu posted:

Reviewing a game negatively because a recent patch broke functionality is pretty different than reviewing a game negatively because the dev said they support feminism or whatever. I agree that each instance of bombing should be looked at differently, but all the tech bros have given themselves up to the Great Algorithm, so good luck with that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not sure how you were expecting video game people to act to your other products after you specifically told them they can't have a thing for a year. Like maybe you should have released your remaster well before the EPIC deal.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

gtrmp posted:

To be fair, review bombing a game because an update made the game literally unplayable for some players is a little different in context than review bombing a game because its publisher won't be selling the sequel on Steam until next year.

The thing is you gotta take the good with the bad. I would rather have reviews and a soft hand approach Steam is now taking with the new off-topic system then to have no reviews at all.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

But the reason it's stressful/terrifying was because Steam was the only place doing the thing that it did and you didn't have an alternative, not because Steam has titles from Ubisoft and 2K.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009

Sankis posted:

A lot of the issues are not necessarily consumer facing,

Been reading through a lot of views on this thread, but this quote encapsulates my feeling : I live in Asia and not in the gaming industry. I understand that 30% to 12% cut is huge for developers, but as a consumer I ask myself why I would want to buy from EGS over Steam, and I'm drawing a blank.

If I'm to make a priority list of stores, from most likely to have my business to least likely :
1) would be Steam, because of how ubiquitous it is, and I pay them in my currency without considering exchange rate,
2) would be GOG, because their games are DRM free, and their front pages isn't spammed with crap games.
3) Greenman Gaming, because sometimes they give the best discount.

4) Battle.net, Uplay, Origin, Microsoft store and I believe eventually EGS I would lump together. The only time I shop with them is for the exclusives that's not offered elsewhere. I don't hate them or want to boycott them, but EGS is getting on my nerve for the way it snatches up titles I want and forcing me to buy from them instead.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

EGS continues to prove how great of a competitor it is.

https://www.gamerevolution.com/review/521511-dangerous-driving-review

quote:

If you’re playing on a computer, the problems don’t end there. Dangerous Driving is currently an Epic Games Store exclusive title. This usually wouldn’t impact a review in any way, but the client’s lack of features makes this PC release strictly inferior to its console counterparts. Since the EGS currently doesn’t have achievement support, neither does Dangerous Driving. This is excusable, but the additional lack of online leaderboards is the real bummer. Not being able to compete with friends for bragging rights is killer in a single player experience all about speed. In a game this barebones, the lack of these features really stands out.

topside1246
Apr 9, 2019

The general consensus I see on this thread is that EGS is bad and needs to learn how to actually compete (NOT signing a bunch of exclusivity deals).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I doubt they will actually have any incentive to do so for a while, because so far, they are "winning" with their behavior and methods at the moment.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

topside1246 posted:

The general consensus I see on this thread is that EGS is bad and needs to learn how to actually compete (NOT signing a bunch of exclusivity deals).
Think it's more that everyone is hoping it spurs Valve to actually do something.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

topside1246 posted:

i think you should learn how to read

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Steam promises devs customers and does so by hosting a site that keeps people on Steam. There's trading cards and friends lists and reviews and curators and whatever else I've missed. Epic figures the customers will come if the games are there. But the customers have no reason to stay on the site after they've bought. And Epic can't keep giving away games for free and signing what have to be expensive exclusives. At some point the store has to become profitable (unless they just have it in for Valve which means they'll throw money away until the cows come home). And I don't see a way for that to happen without the goodies that are on Steam. Now maybe Valve will blink and lower its cut tp 20%, that remains to be seen. But if it does, I think Epic store is dead because the difference won't be enough to go with Epic.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Steam promises devs customers and does so by hosting a site that keeps people on Steam. There's trading cards and friends lists and reviews and curators and whatever else I've missed. Epic figures the customers will come if the games are there. But the customers have no reason to stay on the site after they've bought. And Epic can't keep giving away games for free and signing what have to be expensive exclusives. At some point the store has to become profitable (unless they just have it in for Valve which means they'll throw money away until the cows come home). And I don't see a way for that to happen without the goodies that are on Steam. Now maybe Valve will blink and lower its cut tp 20%, that remains to be seen. But if it does, I think Epic store is dead because the difference won't be enough to go with Epic.

The issue with "steam has customers" is that every day steam gets more and more crowded with poo poo that games have to compete for attention with.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Pylons posted:

The issue with "steam has customers" is that every day steam gets more and more crowded with poo poo that games have to compete for attention with.

Also one of the things Steam Spy found was that less than 100 titles are 50% of Steams sales volume. And that is over a decade.

Epic doesn't need a hundred exclusives a year. It needs 5-10 to put a huge dent in the Steam.

Plus they have 40+ million Fortnite players who don't have steam installed.

They are doing the right strategy. Force people to switch to play games and just deal with the temper tantrum until it is just accepted and no one cares.

Because all the hate and circle jerking about how evil epic is just doesn't matter because CoDBoycott.jpg.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

That’s great and all, but the client is still missing features clients had ten years ago. It’s competing in the shittiest way possible.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Scary to think that we almost didn't have *squints* Assault Android Cactus due to the flawed curation process of a human being looking at something and realizing it sucks.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mill Village posted:

That’s great and all, but the client is still missing features clients had ten years ago. It’s competing in the shittiest way possible.

Depends on if you're a developer or a consumer.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
In the end a lot of EPIC's support is just the game store equivalent of tankie. It hurts steam and steam is bad, thus who gives a gently caress how they go about doing it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Crabtree posted:

In the end a lot of EPIC's support is just the game store equivalent of tankie. It hurts steam and steam is bad, thus who gives a gently caress how they go about doing it.

It's more that I don't really care about the features Epic is missing. The only one I really want is the equivalent of the Workshop.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Pylons posted:

Depends on if you're a developer or a consumer.

The high profile exclusives only benefit the publisher. Gearbox is not going to see any money from Take2’s deal with Epic.

The deals don’t benefit the consumer because the game companies aren’t passing the extra money to them. Metro Exodus is the only one that is.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Mill Village posted:

The high profile exclusives only benefit the publisher. Gearbox is not going to see any money from Take2’s deal with Epic.

The deals don’t benefit the consumer because the game companies aren’t passing the extra money to them. Metro Exodus is the only one that is.
Some of their exclusives are mid-sized indie games that do not have a publisher, so they directly benefit the developer.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So no idea why but a botnet was making accounts on the epic game store with various emails 'cause there was no email verification on the store.

https://kotaku.com/cyber-attackers-are-making-phony-epic-games-accounts-wi-1834007072

quote:

For months, an unspecified number of users trying to register an account with Epic Games have found that their e-mail addresses were somehow already linked to accounts. Today, Epic Games told Kotaku that the culprit is an ongoing cyber attack and that the company is working to delete those accounts, though they would not say how many people were affected.

“I recently went to create an Epic Games account,” a tipster named Ed wrote in an e-mail last week. “And I found that I already had an account. I never made an account.” Ed went on to detail how an account using his e-mail address was registered in Thailand. It was the same e-mail he had used on his Xbox account. After going online, Ed noticed that dozens of other users had complained of this on the Epic Games forums and on Reddit. It had happened to one of his friends, too. In a screenshot Ed shared, his friend’s username appeared as tNpPldH7g—total nonsense.

Epic Games notes in an “account linking” FAQ that an e-mail address can only be associated with one Epic account. On the Epic Games forum, one concerned parent wrote last June that their son wanted to link his PlayStation Network account to his Epic Games account so he can play Fortnite on his PS4, however, when they tried, they received the error message “Failed to link account. Already associated with a different account.” Commenters with the same problem went on to note that that they had difficulty receiving a straight answer from Epic about what was going on.

Over e-mail today, Epic Games explained. “We recently discovered an ongoing attack which is creating Epic accounts using known email addresses via a botnet spanning over 500,000 machines,” a spokesperson said. “We are in the process of deleting those accounts and are adding further verification steps to account creation.”

It’s not clear why these cyber-attackers would want to create Epic accounts based on other people’s email addresses. Kotaku reached out to two former Fortnite account hackers to ask why somebody would create Epic accounts in this way. Neither could explain.

Today, news broke on Reddit that some details for about 600 Epic Games accounts were leaked online as plain text. When Kotaku asked whether Epic Games’ account linking issue was associated with this leak, a spokesperson pointed us to Epic’s response to the initial Reddit thread, from an Epic engineer: “The account system powering Epic Games store and Fortnite have not been compromised. Specific individual accounts have been compromised as a result of numerous automated attempts by hackers to try to log in to Epic Games accounts using email/password combinations leaked through security breaches on other web sites.” The incidents do not appear to be linked.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Oh good, they're making accounts for steam users they "discovered" without even telling them. How considerate of epic.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

topside1246 posted:

That's the general consensus of social media and gaming blogs, but as we've discussed competition to Steam in the past you've hopefully seen that a lot of players have tried to compete without exclusivity deals and it hasn't been very successful.

Like even if you just built a client that was exactly Steam but with new logos and branding, people will probably pick the actual Steam. You'd need to find some way to detect games purchased on Steam and give them free copies on your platform just to make a dent with some people, and even that doesn't necessarily do it because Steam carries goodwill from the days when Valve made some of the greatest video games ever made (nothing they do today constitutes as this.)

Basically,

Xae posted:

They are doing the right strategy. Force people to switch to play games and just deal with the temper tantrum until it is just accepted and no one cares.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Epic has to offer more than it is for it to be attractive for players. Without exclusives no one would even buy there, the games aren't cheaper.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Epic has to offer more than it is for it to be attractive for players. Without exclusives no one would even buy there, the games aren't cheaper.

How many times does CoDBoycott.jpg need to be posted?

Gamers will bitch, moan, cry and complain to high heaven that they'll never do $Thing to play a game they want.

Then they do it. Then a few years later they've memory holed ever being against it.

Find Digg or Forum or whatever social media you can from Half Life 2's release and look at people being completely livid about Steam. Look at ~2010 when Steamworks came out and Civ5 required steam.

Every single service that has launched people were up in arms about. Until a year or two later everyone just stopped caring. Oh, there will be some hold outs to be sure. But not enough to matter.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

If that were true then why would Valve add all the services they've added since then? According to this, all they need is the games!!! Simply, it's not true. Without the exclusives, there is zero reason to use Epic Games Store.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Did they seriously allow for account creation without verifying that you owned the email?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Did they seriously allow for account creation without verifying that you owned the email?

Pretty much. I think they did/would send out an email going "hey you made this account click this to verify" but the account would be made and activated regardless of whether that link was clicked.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Xae posted:

How many times does CoDBoycott.jpg need to be posted?

If I keep repeating this meme maybe eventually it'll come true.

Crabtree posted:

I doubt they will actually have any incentive to do so for a while, because so far, they are "winning" with their behavior and methods at the moment.

It's hard to say. So far the only figures we have on how good of a deal EGS is are a claim by Epic themselves that Metro Exodus sold "2.5x as many copies as Metro Last Light," but they won't specify how many of those are from the Steam pre-orders (it immediately hit #1 for a few days on Steam's best seller chart after its impending removal was announced) and they're also not clarifying if that includes sales of the remaster or not. Julian Gollop said that the cash bonus offered to them by Epic single-handedly pays for the budget of Phoenix Point, but that game isn't even out so we can't talk about how much it's been selling on EGS.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 13, 2019

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

If I keep repeating this meme maybe eventually it'll come true.

It's hard to say. So far the only figures we have on how good of a deal EGS is are a claim by Epic themselves that Metro Exodus sold "2.5x as many copies as Metro Last Light," but they won't specify how many of those are from the Steam pre-orders (it immediately hit #1 for a few days on Steam's best seller chart after its impending removal was announced) and they're also not clarifying if that includes sales of the remaster or not. Julian Gollop said that the cash bonus offered to them by Epic single-handedly pays for the budget of Phoenix Point, but that game isn't even out so we can't talk about how much it's been selling on EGS.

Mind you, the 2.5 figure is suspect too. Sites like PC Gamer reported it as 2.5 what Last Light sold but others like Techraptor reported it as 2.5 what Last Light sold at launch. There's obviously a huge difference between both numbers but to my knowledge no site published further confirmation. At the time the video of the conference in which Epic made that announcement wasn't archived anywhere either. I should check on that come to think of it.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

MagusDraco posted:

Pretty much. I think they did/would send out an email going "hey you made this account click this to verify" but the account would be made and activated regardless of whether that link was clicked.

Nope. This happened to me and a friend when we wanted to try out Satisfactory. We both already had accounts despite never using Epic before, and had never recieved any emails from them.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Det_no posted:

Mind you, the 2.5 figure is suspect too. Sites like PC Gamer reported it as 2.5 what Last Light sold but others like Techraptor reported it as 2.5 what Last Light sold at launch. There's obviously a huge difference between both numbers but to my knowledge no site published further confirmation. At the time the video of the conference in which Epic made that announcement wasn't archived anywhere either. I should check on that come to think of it.

Epic absolutely would crow if Metro sold better on Epic than the previous games did in a similar time period on Steam, throwing out actual numbers all over the place and using it aggressively in marketing. They're not.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Pylons posted:

People keep saying this, but I don't understand it. I never want to buy some random game and go scrolling through a store page to decide. I don't do this with anything else either - I wouldn't walk into a computer store and tell the first staff member I meet "I want a computer, what should I buy?" I go to an independent third party to work out what I want, then I go and buy it.

When I want to buy a game on Steam, I type its name in the search box, then select it from the list. I don't care that there's loads of other games I don't want to buy since it doesn't affect my experience at all. On the contrary, I see it as a good thing that they sell a wide variety of games that appeal to all sorts of people, even if some of those people are a little weird.

Like, it doesn't bother me that Amazon sells Chuck Tingle novels either.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Man the store details page is awful; I want to know if Satisfactory has online multiplayer or controller support and... nothing:

https://epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/satisfactory/home

At this point they'll catch up with the Games For Windows Live store in a few years, good job.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You know in thinking about this more, I'm getting a refund for Anno from the Epic store and going with Ubisoft. I realize it's probably mostly paranoia but if the Store goes out of business, I'll be left with the game and no way to get future DLC for it. Ubisoft seems like the safe choice since you have to use their launcher anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

..btt posted:

People keep saying this, but I don't understand it. I never want to buy some random game and go scrolling through a store page to decide. I don't do this with anything else either - I wouldn't walk into a computer store and tell the first staff member I meet "I want a computer, what should I buy?" I go to an independent third party to work out what I want, then I go and buy it.

When I want to buy a game on Steam, I type its name in the search box, then select it from the list. I don't care that there's loads of other games I don't want to buy since it doesn't affect my experience at all. On the contrary, I see it as a good thing that they sell a wide variety of games that appeal to all sorts of people, even if some of those people are a little weird.

Like, it doesn't bother me that Amazon sells Chuck Tingle novels either.

You're thinking about this from the consumer perspective, but I'm talking about the developer - whether it's incorrect or not, as a developer I'd be pretty pissed about having to compete with hentai anime puzzler 5000 and the only thing that keeps customers from seeing my game over that one is Valve's algorithm (and they've already had an incident where they changed the algorithm and completely hosed a bunch of indie developers sales).