Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
It’s one of the many many many variant covers for Detective Comics 1000

https://www.comicburst.com/blog/detective-comics-1000-complete-cover-checklist/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Who hasn't heard of Lady Cop? Next thing you'll be telling me is you're not familiar with Linda Carter Student Nurse!

It's stuff like this I come to this thread for.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Benito Cereno posted:

It’s one of the many many many variant covers for Detective Comics 1000

https://www.comicburst.com/blog/detective-comics-1000-complete-cover-checklist/

Perfect, thank you!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has Hank McCoy ever become likable in anything? Young version doesn't count, though I imagine he's still insufferable in that form.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Hank hanging out with Wonderman in the Avengers was pretty good in my opinion.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Has Hank McCoy ever become likable in anything? Young version doesn't count, though I imagine he's still insufferable in that form.

beast is strange because he's really good in all of the cartoons and movies, but sucks rear end in the comics

like a reverse Storm

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Schneider Heim posted:

He was pretty cool right up until Morrison's X-men.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

He was pretty cool right up until Morrison's X-men.

I think the question concerned recent runs, not ones that ended 15 years ago.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
After Steve Englehart got a hold of him in the early 70's, Beast was awesome. He blues himself, fights Iron Man, joins The Avengers, and ultimately ends up getting the only legitimately fun moment across the whole Avengers 200 debacle.

He's kinda cool in early Ultimate X-Men until he gets catfished by The Blob. It sucks.

Whedon's Beast from Astonishing is... not terrible from decade-old memory?

Hank Pym is in a similar situation. They'll never be THE BEST, but they can't be THE WORST, but the other things they've found to do with them, be that creating genocidal (sex)robots, experimenting with your own DNA, slapping your wife around, or abducting your and your friends' younger selves through time are maybe not the best use of their skills.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mr. Maltose posted:

Hank hanging out with Wonderman in the Avengers was pretty good in my opinion.

And that recent comic where they did karaoke with Absorbing Man.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I was sitting down eating a Burger King when I had a thought.

Wolverine is probably the most famous Canadian Superhero.
It's one of the most iconic aspects to him and a fact that I knew from when I was a child getting started in reading comics.

I only realised for the first time about 30 minutes ago, that Sabertooth (Wolverine's best known villain) is probably also Canadian.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

So I was sitting down eating a Burger King when I had a thought.

Wolverine is probably the most famous Canadian Superhero.
It's one of the most iconic aspects to him and a fact that I knew from when I was a child getting started in reading comics.

I only realised for the first time about 30 minutes ago, that Sabertooth (Wolverine's best known villain) is probably also Canadian.

How dare you overlook Canada's greatest and most noteworthy hero, Stallion Canuck.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Squizzle posted:

How dare you overlook Canada's greatest and most noteworthy hero, Stallion Canuck.

Is it just the angle, or does that horse body have super-short front legs?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
When exactly did "vat of chemicals" become key to the Joker's origin?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Detective Comics 168 (from late 1950/early 1951) was where the Red Hood/vat of chemical backstory to the Joker was introduced, though I feel like it wasn't a Big Recurring Motif until the one-two punch of Killing Joke in 1988 and the Batman movie in 1999. As in, the character of "The Red Hood"/ didn't appear on panel or get talked about anywhere that I can find between 1951 and 1988 outside of a few panels in a "History of Batman" mini-series in the early 1980s.

1988 is also the year that they published The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told TPB/hardcover that was the first time (outside of a 100 Page Giant in the late 1960s) that the original Red Hood story was ever reprinted, so you can pretty much pinpoint it becoming "key" to his origin somewhere in 1988-1989. They used it (hewing closer to the movie version, so no Red Hood I don't think) in the 1992 animated series, brought it up (complete with the Red Hood) in a mainline DC storyline in 1990, and it seems to have stuck ever since.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 13, 2019

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

When exactly did "vat of chemicals" become key to the Joker's origin?

A bit of googling suggests that the first Joker origin story was in Detective Comics #168 in 1951, and included the Red Hood disguise and the vat of chemicals.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Inkspot posted:

Whedon's Beast from Astonishing is... not terrible from decade-old memory?

Yes, this is the case.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks guys!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has there been a comic that explains what Bruce Wayne tells non-superhero people about where the hell Damian Wayne came from? Like, Damian was grown in a vat in New 52 because having an actual 13 year old son would have made Bruce too old or something, right? So what does he tell people?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Has there been a comic that explains what Bruce Wayne tells non-superhero people about where the hell Damian Wayne came from? Like, Damian was grown in a vat in New 52 because having an actual 13 year old son would have made Bruce too old or something, right? So what does he tell people?

I could swear the cover story was that he had an overseas fling that resulted in a pregnancy and wasn't told about the child until years later. Or is that literally what pre-New 52 Damian was?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I could swear the cover story was that he had an overseas fling that resulted in a pregnancy and wasn't told about the child until years later. Or is that literally what pre-New 52 Damian was?

I think originally the explanation was Talia roofied Bruce, but Damian was the result of natural birth and aging.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

I think originally the explanation was Talia roofied Bruce, but Damian was the result of natural birth and aging.

The roofie was a retcon by Morrison because he didn't check the original story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The roofie was a retcon by Morrison because he didn't check the original story.

You mean Son of the Demon?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Skwirl posted:

You mean Son of the Demon?

Yeah

Grant Morrison posted:

For a long time, DC said Son of the Demon was out of continuity. Now it’s just kind of out of continuity. I didn’t actually read it before I started writing this. I messed up a lot of details, like Batman wasn’t drugged when he was having sex with Talia and it didn’t take place in the desert. I was relying on shaky memories.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's bad form to rag on Morrison twice in one page but if I was going to write a story involving rape I would double check.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Working on a thing about characters reinvented by Batman the animated series. Any good resources to read about this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This, sadly out of print

Batman Animated
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0067575315/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_sw.SCbA3SVZ44

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I saw that on bookstore shelves so many times and put off buying it because I was broke. Regret it SO much.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bought it when it was new and my roommate swiped it when he moved to Michigan.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I bought it when it was new and my roommate swiped it when he moved to Michigan.

I got a copy for a few bucks a while back. I had no idea it was in such demand.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Even the SC is $80. Jeebus.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Unmature posted:

Working on a thing about characters reinvented by Batman the animated series. Any good resources to read about this?

Sounds like a good excuse to just marathon the entire thing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

While I second this I think he's looking for insight from other people as well, maybe even from people that worked on the show.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
If you bring materials and equipment to build an aircraft to the savage land, and you build that there, can you take off and leave the savage land without crashing? Or do you need a transactional sacrificial crash before the island will let you leave?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It's bad form to rag on Morrison twice in one page but if I was going to write a story involving rape I would double check.

Especially when you criticize Alan Moore for doing it as part of your insane wizard beef against him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CzarChasm posted:

If you bring materials and equipment to build an aircraft to the savage land, and you build that there, can you take off and leave the savage land without crashing? Or do you need a transactional sacrificial crash before the island will let you leave?

That's the island in Lost. The Savage Land is a hidden valley in the antarctic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

That's the island in Lost. The Savage Land is a hidden valley in the antarctic.

I believe they're referring to how 99% of the time, people just can't seem to make it to the Savage Land without crash landing.

I don't have it on hand but I know there's an Avengers panel where Iron Man insists he can land the Quinjet just fine and they end up crashing

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

I believe they're referring to how 99% of the time, people just can't seem to make it to the Savage Land without crash landing.

I don't have it on hand but I know there's an Avengers panel where Iron Man insists he can land the Quinjet just fine and they end up crashing

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Unmature posted:

You could try the Arkham Sessions podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh I’m very well acquainted with the characterizations on the show I’d just like to be able to more definitively say things like “this character trait didn’t exist in the comics prior to the show”

Here are some more specific questions I'm curious about and having trouble researching:

When did Two-Face first show multiple personalities and not just an obsession with the number two?

Did Mad Hatter have the same M.O. (loneliness and companionship) before the series?

I know Joker was always Batman's nemesis, but when does it go from enemies to a straight obsession with each other? Is it pre-Killing Joke?

Unmature fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 15, 2019