Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Platinum has a very 1st world problem where people see their name on something and instantly expect a deep, fluid, and rewarding combat system and then you end up with games like Nier: A or Anarchy Reigns, which are cool games in their own ways, but absolutely not what I’m looking for.

those games are still absolutely great even if they aren't your cup of tea. platinum earned that "problem" by just putting out solid games release after release. they are a AA company that should be raking in AAA cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

their best game is still Infinite Space

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Microsoft officially lost out on one Xbox one sale when they cancelled scale bound lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Zelder posted:

Microsoft officially lost out on one Xbox one sale when they cancelled scale bound lol

:same:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

esperterra posted:

I like the idea of QTEs in Bayonetta, and some of the ones in 1 were implemented fine. Overall, though, I agree the timing on most of them was ridiculously unforgiving, so instead of the mechanic giving you a feeling of BEING COOL AS poo poo! and letting you engage with while enjoying the stylish cutscenes, they'd force you to laser focus on when the drat thing would pop up so you don't fail out.

I still have the nightmares of that one in like chapter 4 in the flying church that comes AT THE VERY END of the level and even when I know it's coming I choke and fail and there goes all my effort

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I will never not hate the last 3 hours of gameplay

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pomp posted:

Every ninja gaiden after black was garbage

2 was good. It has a lot of issues but when everything clicks it’s like a ridiculous video game version of that hallway fight from Oldboy

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Phantasium posted:

platinum barely worked on this game, it was mostly the steel battalion devs

I still agree tho

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Anarchy reigns was laggy garbage day 1. Maybe if it didn't look like smeared poo poo and had servers I'd have had more fun.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Skip Anarchy Reigns the game and buy Anarchy Reigns the soundtrack instead

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Nero has so many loving mechanics that I literally forgot about one. I forgot that he can just, like, hold dudes. He can put dudes in his time-out hand, and keep them there, and they don't do anything, and they take damage for him. This has revolutionized the way I play Bloody Palace now. No more do I see a group of Antenoras and panic when I accidentally knock them all down; now I just grab one and laugh while all his friends cut him to pieces trying to get to me. All those levels where Furies are tossed in amongst other enemies; those aren't enemies, silly, they're free meat shields! Just grab one and hold it up to take the punishment when you inevitably mistime your fifteenth parry attempt. Better it than you! Any given mook will absorb 90% of a Fury's attempts to attack you as long at you're locked onto them. They actively become a joke as long as you have another dude to put between you and him. It's wonderful. I love Nero's time-out hand. And what's more; in Devil Trigger, he gets TWO time-out hands! He can hold two dudes, and keep holding them even after DT turns off! Life is so much easier once it realize Nero can literally just be like "I'll get to you later" to two entire enemies and they'll just be like "guess_ill_die.jpg :shrug:"

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Spergatory posted:

Nero has so many loving mechanics that I literally forgot about one. I forgot that he can just, like, hold dudes. He can put dudes in his time-out hand, and keep them there, and they don't do anything, and they take damage for him. This has revolutionized the way I play Bloody Palace now. No more do I see a group of Antenoras and panic when I accidentally knock them all down; now I just grab one and laugh while all his friends cut him to pieces trying to get to me. All those levels where Furies are tossed in amongst other enemies; those aren't enemies, silly, they're free meat shields! Just grab one and hold it up to take the punishment when you inevitably mistime your fifteenth parry attempt. Better it than you! Any given mook will absorb 90% of a Fury's attempts to attack you as long at you're locked onto them. They actively become a joke as long as you have another dude to put between you and him. It's wonderful. I love Nero's time-out hand. And what's more; in Devil Trigger, he gets TWO time-out hands! He can hold two dudes, and keep holding them even after DT turns off! Life is so much easier once it realize Nero can literally just be like "I'll get to you later" to two entire enemies and they'll just be like "guess_ill_die.jpg :shrug:"

Holy poo poo

Simply HOLY poo poo.

How do you get to hold two while on DT?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It’s automatic. Just like how in DT his snatch (the devil one, not the breaker one) grabs two enemies instead of one.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

BBJoey posted:

It’s automatic. Just like how in DT his snatch (the devil one, not the breaker one) grabs two enemies instead of one.

poo poo never noticed that it grabs two enemies.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Luisfe posted:

Holy poo poo

Simply HOLY poo poo.

How do you get to hold two while on DT?

Press and hold the bringer button with two enemies nearby. You can press and hold snatch to bring two enemies within range as well. It's very convenient.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Holding dudes is a mechanic I discovered so late in DMC4 I never even tried to put it into use. Glad to see it's still here, maybe this time I'll learn it.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It was cool discovering the DT two enemies thing on the mission 20 boss when he summoned his simulacrum. Slamming the two together was another gently caress YOU.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A bit late but Bayo 1 and 2 each have their strengths and weaknesses. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick 1 because the highers are higher(better boss fights) but the lows are also way lower(instant death QTEs, space harrier / driving segments).

If anything Bayo 2 was more of a disappointment because while they got rid of some of the flaws they didn't really improve on much else and introduced more flaws.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The weirdest part of Bayo 2 to me, admittedly someone who plays these games on normal without any kind of high skill level, was how each weapon you got in it just felt progressively Better than the rest. Like you start with the usual set but then you get the horrifying Freddie Kruger combine harvester weapon that just felt way better than everything else before, then you get the Giant Chainsaws which felt better than everything else that came before /that/ as well

Again this is from the PoV of someone who's not a combo maniac or anything but I at least stuck with some of the options in Bayo 1 to the end like the katana and the shotgun and stuff

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The weapons in Bayonetta 2 are amazing. Like we've said before it's problems are the high level mechanics most don't see.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bayo 1 is def better than 2 to me
But Bayo 1 has a severe best boss at the end of a 10 minute space harrier problem

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Neurosis posted:

It was cool discovering the DT two enemies thing on the mission 20 boss when he summoned his simulacrum. Slamming the two together was another gently caress YOU.

I did that for the first time as the finishing move the first time I beat him and I was sure it was scripted to do that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Huh, unless I just didn't notice it before V's BP taunt applies a buff to his staff so it can do lil baby chip damage :v:

That's cute.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
V's cane actually always does some chip damage, the taunt makes it so it doesn't bounce off. Even with the buff it's only marginally "useful" on lower difficulties of course

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 12, 2019

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That said, the taunt also gives it a particularly annoying drawback:

https://twitter.com/Sexy_Ferg/status/1113944954647261184

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

A bit late but Bayo 1 and 2 each have their strengths and weaknesses. If I had to pick one, I'd probably pick 1 because the highers are higher(better boss fights) but the lows are also way lower(instant death QTEs, space harrier / driving segments).

If anything Bayo 2 was more of a disappointment because while they got rid of some of the flaws they didn't really improve on much else and introduced more flaws.

Same.

Bayo 2 has lots of good stuff, and both games are really fun to play through, but there's a ton of needless mechanical changes, and lack of polish in some strange areas. Another nitpick is that they programmed 6 playable characters with movesets (3 clones, 1 AI companion/limited section, 2 new ones), but only three are playable in the main campaign, Loki gets a super limited running section, and the other 2 are only playable in tag climax.

At the same time, I prefer the more colourful aesthetic, and the weapons feel better - aside from Undine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That said, the taunt also gives it a particularly annoying drawback:

https://twitter.com/Sexy_Ferg/status/1113944954647261184

Is it weird that I can tell that there’s a difference but I can’t see why it’s worse?

Also can’t you get parries with V’s cane?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Bust Rodd posted:

Is it weird that I can tell that there’s a difference but I can’t see why it’s worse?

Also can’t you get parries with V’s cane?

It's worse because it can't be jump canceled.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Spergatory posted:

Nero has so many loving mechanics that I literally forgot about one. I forgot that he can just, like, hold dudes.

enemies held count as a valid target for being taunted, so if you want to end any fight with a bunch of DT and style gain just EX taunt while they stand there helplessly

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I bought a PS4 for this game, but since I platinum'd it, I figured I would branch out and try some other stuff. So I bought Bloodborne.

gently caress Bloodborne.

There is difficulty and then there is gently caress you trial and error game design, and Bloodborne is the latter. Maybe it's because I'm fresh off of basically the Holy Grail of difficult-but-fair action game design, but I go not care for Bloodborne's particular brand of bullshit. I don't care if it gets good later. I'm not having any fun now. Why the gently caress would I stick around for "later?"

I'm gonna do some more bloody palace to destress from this mess.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s good, akshuly

Edit: Bloodborne is definitely the least Trial & Error FROM game, so you’re probably safe to avoid Sekiro and Dark Souls as well.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 13, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I figured. Whatever their shtick is, it ain't for me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Devil May Cry basically does everything in its power to make you feel unstoppable powerful for the minimum effort.

Bloodborne makes you work extremely hard to get there, but the journey is much deeper. They are very different power fantasies, but asking me to choose would be like asking me to choose between my kids.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These games are completely incomparable :butt:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sekiro is the most DMC like From game in the Souls era and it's like comparing apples to milkshakes.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Spergatory posted:

I bought a PS4 for this game, but since I platinum'd it, I figured I would branch out and try some other stuff. So I bought Bloodborne.

gently caress Bloodborne.

There is difficulty and then there is gently caress you trial and error game design, and Bloodborne is the latter. Maybe it's because I'm fresh off of basically the Holy Grail of difficult-but-fair action game design, but I go not care for Bloodborne's particular brand of bullshit. I don't care if it gets good later. I'm not having any fun now. Why the gently caress would I stick around for "later?"

I'm gonna do some more bloody palace to destress from this mess.

There is never a moment in Bloodborne where I thought the game was being unfair.

But its kinda hard to figure out any details from your post.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I spoiled myself gold orbing through so much of SoS and DmD that I did it automatically fighting Vergil in Human. No more Golds for me, maybe.

Spergatory posted:

this dog is such a lovely cat

From does like throwing hilarious and deadly curveballs at you, though. They're about learning to deal with bullshit, but DMC is about learning to be the bullshit. If you went into Bloodborne expecting something like DMC, you were bound to be disappointed.

It's ok to not like the game, but there won't be much to say about it in this thread besides these last few posts over and over again.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

WaltherFeng posted:

There is never a moment in Bloodborne where I thought the game was being unfair.

But its kinda hard to figure out any details from your post.

I think it might come off that way if you don't realize dying is a very important part of the experience, in most games dying is a shame and a punishment, but in soulsborne its really kinda not

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Bust Rodd posted:

Devil May Cry basically does everything in its power to make you feel unstoppable powerful for the minimum effort.

Bloodborne makes you work extremely hard to get there, but the journey is much deeper. They are very different power fantasies, but asking me to choose would be like asking me to choose between my kids.

I'd say Bloodborne is literally the opposite of a power fantasy. It deliberately makes you feel lost, confused, and powerless ie. a horror game, and doesn't stop feeling this way until you've killed the same enemy 10 times and know exactly how to take it apart. I mean there's a reason no one really calls them action games.

e: I've never played a Devil May Cry, do i want to play 1 through 4 for the story first?

hampig fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hampig posted:

I'd say Bloodborne is literally the opposite of a power fantasy. It deliberately makes you feel lost, confused, and powerless ie. a horror game, and doesn't stop feeling this way until you've killed the same enemy 10 times and know exactly how to take it apart. I mean there's a reason no one really calls them action games.

e: I've never played a Devil May Cry, do i want to play 1 through 4 for the story first?

The story barely matters. You can feel free to start on 4 or 5. Then play through the rest. Except 2. 2 is real bad and has no redeeming qualities. DmC is basically a strange spinoff but the SE is still better than 2.