Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I don't think its fair to blame the rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Avirosb posted:

I don't think its fair to blame the rock.

What if someone did it for The Rock?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i am willing to delay space exploration until climate crisis is averted and whatever utopia is gonna look like is achieved, but then space.

Why

The only reason is to have more space for more people, but having 20 billion people instead of 10 billion in no way improves the individual's conditions, which is ultimately the only thing that matters.

Instead of expanding, let's retreat, lower the population and let nature reclaim more and more of the planet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i want to experience zero gravity

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

steinrokkan posted:

Why

The only reason is to have more space for more people, but having 20 billion people instead of 10 billion in no way improves the individual's conditions, which is ultimately the only thing that matters.

Instead of expanding, let's retreat, lower the population and let nature reclaim more and more of the planet.

10 billion is too high, isn’t it? Maybe future tech will expand the Earth’s sustainable carrying capacity but we’ve already exceeded it now. In any event improving the living conditions of the people we have now is & should be prioritized over trying to make a home for a small sample somewhere else, unless we’re assuming we’re totally boned down here already.

If things are fixed in the future we can/should definitely go to space though, which I guess makes me one of the dreaded rocketeers in the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If we can't counter climate change there's absolutely no way anything like making Mars habitable is ever going to happen, and not just because there won't be any humans left to reach it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
this is all true but also humanity can do two things at once and space exploration takes up like no resources compared to the huge amount of effort averting climate disaster will take.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

this is all true but also humanity can do two things at once and space exploration takes up like no resources compared to the huge amount of effort averting climate disaster will take.

we can't even do one thing

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

i think transhumanism is neat cause i wanna be a cool robot like the ninjas from warframe and have a tight rear end and maybe also a cool sword

if they ever come up with a way to replace my skull with a transparent dome so you can see my brain floating in a green liquid and it bubbles when i get angry i'm doing it

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Colonialism has brokebrained us into thinking the world is a welcoming playground when the reality is space is incredibly more hostile to life than anything on Earth and any settlement would be a fuckoff expensive project terminally dependent on resource flows from the motherland. This will stay true until our tech is basically magic.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sword_man.gif posted:

if they ever come up with a way to replace my skull with a transparent dome so you can see my brain floating in a green liquid and it bubbles when i get angry i'm doing it

loving :same:

put me into one of the spider monk brain in a jar bodies from the basement of Jabba's palace and let me skitter around posting all day with my thought screams

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/Selousscout1487/status/1116559139696562176?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I used to live somewhere where the closest bar was run by an old Rhodesian guy who’d fought in that war and made you leave if you called it Zimbabwe and I think even he would think this dude was nuts

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is this like a Dylan Roof thing? Maybe he’ll just top himself without murdering anyone.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
https://twitter.com/Selousscout1487/status/1116190485754908672?s=19

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

what a weird two days that guy had. war boner for apartheid rhodesia and hot tuna, straight from the can

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
imagine uploading your brain into a computer to attain functional immortality and suddenly realizing that all your emotions and sensory experiences feel "off" a little bit when compared to your memory of pre-upload experiences

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
also the tuna in the can already IS cooked

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

imagine uploading your brain into a computer to attain functional immortality and suddenly realizing that all your emotions and sensory experiences feel "off" a little bit when compared to your memory of pre-upload experiences

Well they would, given that you actually came into existence at the moment of upload and you’re remembering the memories of a dead person. Or a very confused one staring at the computer and asking why he’s still here.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

1487 eh...
:thunk:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Since he's back in the news again, I have it on good word from a local older gay man that Ratzinger was a regular at the cruising spots in Tübingen when he was here studying theology

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Well they would, given that you actually came into existence at the moment of upload and you’re remembering the memories of a dead person. Or a very confused one staring at the computer and asking why he’s still here.

I'm concerned more with the interminable experience of the self created in that moment from then on and the possibility of that self realizing from a first person perspective that it has been ripped away from the very ground of its being, experiencing its "life" from then on out as a cosmic joke, eternal crawling of digitally simulated skin. Kind of like that moment when the salvia kicks in and you realize you never actually existed

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mr. Lobe posted:

Since he's back in the news again, I have it on good word from a local older gay man that Ratzinger was a regular at the cruising spots in Tübingen when he was here studying theology

only because women had birth control, mass was being said in local languages, and he hadn't yet considered abusing children instead of having consensual sex with adults because every catholic knows there is no difference between a queer person and a child rapist :colbert:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I'm concerned more with the interminable experience of the self created in that moment from then on and the possibility of that self realizing from a first person perspective that it has been ripped away from the very ground of its being, experiencing its "life" from then on out as a cosmic joke, eternal crawling of digitally simulated skin. Kind of like that moment when the salvia kicks in and you realize you never actually existed

you should see that keanu film Replicas

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

WampaLord posted:

loving :same:

put me into one of the spider monk brain in a jar bodies from the basement of Jabba's palace and let me skitter around posting all day with my thought screams

in a just future Obama and his ilk will be sentient bags of fart gas that wimper "please clap" and "you get the leaders you deserve" when stepped on

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
also, I've heard unirronic use of "free market place of ideas" twice in the past week

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

This guy is a good candidate to turn into a JRPG villain

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/shahmiruk/status/1116723473534078976

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

This guy is a good candidate to turn into a JRPG villain

JRPG villains are usually at least somewhat competent

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

what, no, you must be thinking of some other genre entirely there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what, no, you must be thinking of some other genre entirely there

They successfully get their plan done at least halfway until the heroes stop them whereas bob has never done anything

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

feels like there's a lot of fascism interwoven in american society and values lately

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Andrast posted:

They successfully get their plan done at least halfway until the heroes stop them whereas bob has never done anything

nah, it ranges from the likes of gestahl and shinra getting hosed over by their insane science experiments, who from there certainly don't have a plan, to the lavos or giyagas school of just being primevally compelled to do the thing they do with no significant interaction from the protagonist

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i have more faith in bob, he'll go on to be a complex and sympathetic netflix villain

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
in ff8 the villain wins, but then gets killed
ff9 too

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

I can always count on goons for the obvious follow up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010