Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Twlight posted:

I'm looking to smoke my first pork butt this weekend, I caught a decent sale at 99c a pound so i have an 8 pound pork butt. Since this is my first pork butt, does anyone have a good guide to get this thing to come out decent? Its just me and my partner so no pressure with hungry folks around. But if there is a good guide for rub/times that someone has i'd love to see it. Also I've been reading a lot about brining the butt ( lol ) before the smoke is that necessary?

I did an 8 pound pork butt a couple weeks ago and it took loving forever at 250-275. I think I had it on from 10am until 8 or 8:30, no crutching (that’s when you wrap the meat in foil or butcher paper to get it through a phase where heat goes to evaporating water instead of increasing the temp of the meat). Brining isn’t required but it’s a good idea, failing that if you can salt the night before and then rub right before cooking, you’ll be alright. Have fun, pork butt is delicious and you basically can’t gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Twlight posted:

I'm looking to smoke my first pork butt this weekend, I caught a decent sale at 99c a pound so i have an 8 pound pork butt. Since this is my first pork butt, does anyone have a good guide to get this thing to come out decent? Its just me and my partner so no pressure with hungry folks around. But if there is a good guide for rub/times that someone has i'd love to see it. Also I've been reading a lot about brining the butt ( lol ) before the smoke is that necessary?

Throw it on somewhere between 225 and 275, and cook it to around 198*F internal. Pretty hard to screw up, and even the screwups taste great. I'd expect 60-90 minutes cook time per pound.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Twlight posted:

4 to 6 hours is not long enough a cook time. Steven Raichlen is a dirty liar I still own almost all of his books.

No, brining a pork butt is not necessary. Or recommended, for that matter.

EDIT: Also Walmart pork butts are lovely. My last butt came from there so I learned this lesson the hard way.

EDIT 2: I guess you could brine your pork butt if it came from Walmart, but otherwise you probably shouldn’t.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 10, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I wouldn't brine a pork butt or salt it overnight. Pork gets that hammy flavor from being pickled by salt, and it's already going to be sitting on salt half the day on the smoker.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Thanks for everyone's help! I'll take some photos hopefully if i remember. When i last did beef brisket I crutched it as I had people waiting ( mistake for having people waiting ). So I'm looking not to crutch this time so bark can better develop. I was thinking of just coming up with a rub with some common spices but maybe adding tumeric/curry powder as a different flavor? We both prefer spicy bbq sauce so I was thinking a rub around that route.

E: That's why i asked about the brining, I know brining a turkey is always the way to go but I'd never heard of such a thing for pork or beef for that matter.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Twlight posted:

Thanks for everyone's help! I'll take some photos hopefully if i remember. When i last did beef brisket I crutched it as I had people waiting ( mistake for having people waiting ). So I'm looking not to crutch this time so bark can better develop. I was thinking of just coming up with a rub with some common spices but maybe adding tumeric/curry powder as a different flavor? We both prefer spicy bbq sauce so I was thinking a rub around that route.

E: That's why i asked about the brining, I know brining a turkey is always the way to go but I'd never heard of such a thing for pork or beef for that matter.

Dry it off, rub it in 3 tablespoons of yellow mustard, apply rub (1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 2 teaspoons each of black pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, mustard powder, onion powder, 1 teaspoon cayenne)

Curry sounds good just don't forget the salt and sugar!

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

When the seal on your BGW freezes shut.

Well yeah, that is a thing. Just got done last week replacing my gasket that I tore off when yanking it open.

Pro Tip: Cover your smoker when not in use

jonathan posted:

My entire yard is dogshit. Waiting for the snow to leave then I'm hiring a dog poop guy. It's just too much of a pain to keep o top of in the winter when the drat dog takes 30 mins to poo and then it gets covered by snow instantly.

The benefit of literal feet of snow, and small dogs, is that we shovel channels for them to go out to poop. Makes finding it a lot easier than in the summertime when the acre of grass is fair poop game.

(Uncertain how this effects your smoker though)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Twlight posted:

Make this for the rub: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

Then, be sure to start the butt early. If you think you need to put it on at 8am, put it on at 4am. START EARLY. It will almost certainly take longer than you expect.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'll second both the Memphis dust rub and starting a lot earlier than you think. I've only done a handful of pork shoulders, but they've all been closer to the 2 hours/lb mark even with a grate temp of ~250.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Spiggy posted:

I'll second both the Memphis dust rub and starting a lot earlier than you think. I've only done a handful of pork shoulders, but they've all been closer to the 2 hours/lb mark even with a grate temp of ~250.

This. Did a 5.5 lb butt last weekend. Got it on the grill at 9 AM and it stalled so hard it still wasn't done by 9 PM even when I decided to crutch it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Expect 12 hours minimum for a pork butt. (I plan 15 at 225 without a crutch) They are big and hearty they will hold temp in a cooler for a long time. Better to have it early and in a collet than late and have to get taco Bell.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Interesting about brining pork. Wondered why my butts always tasted like ham.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think i'm gonna do a chuck roast this Saturday, but with the same spice rub as I used on that Pastrami, and finished all the way on the smoker with a foil wrap at the stall.

I want to try and get it more tender, I tried the initial recipe as written which calls for smoking it until you hit the stall, and then moving it to a steamer. I think the steam cooking actually just went too plain fast though and didn't give the brisket enough time at higher temp to fully break down all that connective tissue.
It was still really good, just with a decent bit more chew than I like in my BBQ meats.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Gwaihir posted:

I think i'm gonna do a chuck roast this Saturday, but with the same spice rub as I used on that Pastrami, and finished all the way on the smoker with a foil wrap at the stall.

I want to try and get it more tender, I tried the initial recipe as written which calls for smoking it until you hit the stall, and then moving it to a steamer. I think the steam cooking actually just went too plain fast though and didn't give the brisket enough time at higher temp to fully break down all that connective tissue.
It was still really good, just with a decent bit more chew than I like in my BBQ meats.

My next chuck is going to be smoked to stall and then sous vide’d. Maybe wine marinade before smoke.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
I attempted smoked beef ribs for the first time yesterday and committed the sin of being impatient, because they were taking longer than the 10 hours suggested in the recipe. They were at the 13 hour mark when I took them out, and had an internal temperature in the mid 190's instead of the target 205.

Possibly the best meat I have ever tasted in my life. So juicy and tender. I did a simple light dusting of salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika and it was perfect. I had home-made barbecue sauce on the side, but it wasn't needed at all. There must have been a load of connective tissue in there because it was still dripping out while it was resting and there was a ton in the drip tray post-smoke. The amount of meat was almost too much for a single serving and I was struggling to finish the last rib.

I've got another lot in the freezer, so I know for next time to trim them/remove the membrane the night before and to crutch them to speed up the cooking time (I'm hesitant to do that because of the amount of fat coming out). Is it possible to do a pseudo crutch by covering the top in foil so the fats can still render out? Or will that just result in a soggy bark and not actually speed up the cook?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fall Dog posted:

struggling to finish the last rib

I want you to know we’re all proud of you

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fall Dog posted:

I attempted smoked beef ribs for the first time yesterday and committed the sin of being impatient, because they were taking longer than the 10 hours suggested in the recipe. They were at the 13 hour mark when I took them out, and had an internal temperature in the mid 190's instead of the target 205.

(delicious but large pics snipped)

Possibly the best meat I have ever tasted in my life. So juicy and tender. I did a simple light dusting of salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika and it was perfect. I had home-made barbecue sauce on the side, but it wasn't needed at all. There must have been a load of connective tissue in there because it was still dripping out while it was resting and there was a ton in the drip tray post-smoke. The amount of meat was almost too much for a single serving and I was struggling to finish the last rib.

I've got another lot in the freezer, so I know for next time to trim them/remove the membrane the night before and to crutch them to speed up the cooking time (I'm hesitant to do that because of the amount of fat coming out). Is it possible to do a pseudo crutch by covering the top in foil so the fats can still render out? Or will that just result in a soggy bark and not actually speed up the cook?

It's totally OK if they never reach 205- That temp is more a guideline saying that typically for a random cut, by the time it gets there all the connective tissue should be rendered. But it's 100% a thing that can happen at lower temps, it just takes longer.

Similarly, just because a piece of meat reaches 205 doesn't mean it's done, that rendering process is a combination of the temp AND time.

I super super feel you on the sin of impatience though. My first attempt at beef ribs went the same way. OK, actually, really, the first attempt at most stuff I've done, heh.

Not actually fully wrapping the meat won't really help it over the stall though. The point of the crutch it to trap water inside and keep it from evaporating, which is what cools the meat down until enough water has been evaporated out. I would wrap it after it hits the stall, then once you're at finished temp unwrap again and crank the heat a bit in the smoker, or just pop it in a hot oven to crisp the bark up as one final step, to get the best crust.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 12, 2019

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fall Dog posted:

I attempted smoked beef ribs for the first time yesterday ...

Are these beef ribs with a thick layer of rib eye/prime rib still attached or are these beef short ribs?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Fall Dog posted:

What temperature were you smoking at?

I recommend following Aaron Franklin's beef rib method as he demonstrates here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFVu_XwLrew

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Ya I don't cook to a specific temp anymore. Once it hits around 190ish, I just start sticking my probe in different spots. When it goes in and out with no resistance, then it's done. If you feel a bit of tug, let it sit in there for another half hour then repeat.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

goddamn I really want to do some beef ribs now, thanks a lot assholes!

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

goddamn I really want to do some beef ribs now, thanks a lot assholes!

They are by far my favorite thing to smoke. They're simple, relatively fast, forgiving, taste great and the right size for two people with left overs to pick at over the next week.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

atothesquiz posted:

They are by far my favorite thing to smoke. They're simple, relatively fast, forgiving, taste great and the right size for two people with left overs to pick at over the next week.

Agreed. It was just a bitch and a half to find them by me, but finally found some at a Costco business center.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

atothesquiz posted:

The leftovers make some bomb loving tacos let me tell you what

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

arisu posted:

Agreed. It was just a bitch and a half to find them by me, but finally found some at a Costco business center.

That's my next question of where I can actually get them. I'll check costco and Kroger and see. I'm looking for "beef short ribs" right?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Yea, if they have them cut up you can see if you can ask the guys in the back if they got any whole. Also keep in mind I couldn't find any at my local regular Costco, I went to a Costco business center to get mine.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Don't know if this model is any good, but I saw it in today's Brad's Deals email:

Landmann 26" Electric Smoker $75 Shipped from Walmart

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Don't know if this model is any good, but I saw it in today's Brad's Deals email:

Landmann 26" Electric Smoker $75 Shipped from Walmart

gently caress electricity, lump for life.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

qutius posted:

The leftovers make some bomb loving tacos let me tell you what

Also mixed with eggs and peppers for the next day’s breakfast.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

atothesquiz posted:

What temperature were you smoking at?

I followed the traeger recipe I found suggesting a cooking temperature of 225. There was another recipe I found that suggested 250, but I went with the traeger recipe as it was my first time doing this. That video made things seem so much simpler than it was becoming in my head and I'll try a hotter temperature next time. I definitely noticed the tenderness when shifting the probe, which is why I was happy to take them off heat even though they weren't at 205.

Murgos posted:

Are these beef ribs with a thick layer of rib eye/prime rib still attached or are these beef short ribs?

This is a good question and I can't remember what I ordered from the butcher. Maybe short ribs? They've been siting in my freezer until the weather was good enough for smoking in. I'm going to be a return customer though. They were really delicious and the butcher is more than happy to do whatever cut I ask since they process the carcass in-store.

I had these guys for lunch while the ribs were still cooking. Store-bought chipolatas smoked for about 5 hours. I also double teamed it with the A-Maze-N grid. Will do again

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

gently caress electricity, lump for life.

Electricity is great for us apartment dwellers. Also great if you want to have a life that not monitoring the coals and adding coals.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
After like 9 years of my WSM, I gave it away to a friend. I've been using my MES with amazen 9 times out of 10, and needed space for my new grill. Charcoal/wood is fun when you are looking to have smoking BE your day's activity, but I'd bet my life savings that in a blind taste test, that all other things being equal, what comes out of my MES is indistinguishable from what came out of my WSM. Having a fat smoke ring was satisfying, but not 14 hours of paying attention worth of satisfaction.

Hell, also, burning $15 worth of charcoal to make a single brisket started to feel lovely. I'll take using $0.22 worth of electricity instead.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Best of both worlds, get a pellet smoker yeaaahhhh

EDIT: I love my pellet smoker but I still probably use my Akorn more cause on a lazy weekend I just like lighting fires.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Electricity is great for us apartment dwellers. Also great if you want to have a life that not monitoring the coals and adding coals.

It tastes off every time.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

Fall Dog posted:

I followed the traeger recipe I found suggesting a cooking temperature of 225. There was another recipe I found that suggested 250, but I went with the traeger recipe as it was my first time doing this. That video made things seem so much simpler than it was becoming in my head and I'll try a hotter temperature next time. I definitely noticed the tenderness when shifting the probe, which is why I was happy to take them off heat even though they weren't at 205.

This was a lesson that took me too long to figure out. I now use temperature simply as a reference point. When it's over 190ish, I'll start to probe or lift/bend for tenderness.

For my beef ribs I posted earlier this week I used my WSM at ~270F-280F, lump, with larger "post" oak chunks.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 13, 2019

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So this is a stupid question I think but i'll ask any how. My pork butt is smoking well and everything is fine, I've read to wrap it in a towel then place it in a cooler to rest once finished, now I assume you just use an old towel? or do you wrap it in wax paper first? I think its just towel but I'm asking since I've never used a towel to wrap food before.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Paper or foil first, then a towel over that.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Twlight posted:

So this is a stupid question I think but i'll ask any how. My pork butt is smoking well and everything is fine, I've read to wrap it in a towel then place it in a cooler to rest once finished, now I assume you just use an old towel? or do you wrap it in wax paper first? I think its just towel but I'm asking since I've never used a towel to wrap food before.

Wrap it in paper or even foil first- the towel is just extra insulation. That said, I think the towel/cooler rest stage is somewhat less important for a butt than for a brisket.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ok thanks everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Got the 7-8 lb pork shoulder on at 6:45 this morning. It'll never be done by dinner. This is the story of every time I smoke something. :allears:

Have some butcher paper this time around to try to crutch if I need to (I will). Only have used foil in the past.