Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The final page of chapter 2 is :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Newish series from Shonen Jump Plus called SPY x FAMILY about the greatest spy in Westalis, the agent only known as <twilight>, being tasked with obtaining a temporary family for his latest mission. He'll need a child to infiltrate a school frequented by his target, and a wife to maintain cover. Little does he know his adopted daughter is a mind reading esper on the run from the organization that gave her powers, and his wife is a hitman just looking for cover herself. It's currently at 2 chapters but this is a really strong opening if you ask me; about time japan got around to their own Spin of Mr. & Mrs. Smith. And the little girl gets me on a spritual level

This was very cute and very good.

I'll be definitely following this one, thanks for bringing it up!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tarezax posted:

The final page of chapter 2 is :perfect:

Yeah, that grenade pin wedding ring was gloriously beautiful.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Newish series from Shonen Jump Plus called SPY x FAMILY about the greatest spy in Westalis, the agent only known as <twilight>, being tasked with obtaining a temporary family for his latest mission. He'll need a child to infiltrate a school frequented by his target, and a wife to maintain cover. Little does he know his adopted daughter is a mind reading esper on the run from the organization that gave her powers, and his wife is a hitman just looking for cover herself. It's currently at 2 chapters but this is a really strong opening if you ask me; about time japan got around to their own Spin of Mr. & Mrs. Smith. And the little girl gets me on a spritual level

Just finished reading this as well. It's fantastic.
The first chapter was super cute and the second chapter was equal parts sweet and badass.

Considering the backgrounds I wonder what the long term plan for this series is. Is it going for a "joke per day", or are they going for a more "serious" story. (as serious as it can get with characters like this. :allears:)
I look forward to it either way.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

This is amazing so far :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The Little girl is on a deep spiritual level the viewers.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That wedding vow was amazing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I caught up with Platinum End, and I actually think it's pretty good! I think I actually like it more than Death Note (though I didn't like Death Note very much). I like how most of the characters are actually pretty reasonable. I kept expecting new characters to randomly execute their secret plans or reveal that they're crazy/bad, but most of the god candidate characters have pretty understandable motivations and there haven't been any sudden betrayals (though the main character having access to a person who can magically tell whether people are lying helps avoid that sort of thing). A good example is when they encounter the kid who wants to commit suicide, and the cast of characters just stand there and have a dialogue with him about the topic for a while.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some real good jokes in that chapter of Jujutsu Kaisen, it was a nice way to wrap things up :3:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Just finished reading this as well. It's fantastic.
The first chapter was super cute and the second chapter was equal parts sweet and badass.

Considering the backgrounds I wonder what the long term plan for this series is. Is it going for a "joke per day", or are they going for a more "serious" story. (as serious as it can get with characters like this. :allears:)
I look forward to it either way.

At the very least I expect the next chapter to continue the storyline as opposed to being episodic. We have the parent teacher conference coming up as well as Yor moving into the house. From there you can honestly play it either way as these three people living together invites a lot of possibilities. The first is everyone trying to maintain their cover, with the adults having their family life overlapping with their work, and the girl either tagging along or instigating things. We also have Yor's brother who hasn't been seen yet, but will definitely be interested to know his sister just got Married. Depending on whether or not he's a civilian or also apart of an organization there's intrigue about. And both <Twilight> and Yor have a lot to learn about being normal and we've seen how just getting a kid has softened <Twilight>'s demeanor. And the inevitable moment when people start to figure out what everyone else is on.

I expect great things. Someone also translated a preview chapter that was available on a korean website. It's basically a 4 page summary of the premise.

Everything Burrito posted:

Some real good jokes in that chapter of Jujutsu Kaisen, it was a nice way to wrap things up :3:
Mechamaru as the pitcher got me. Also the risks of having a flashback while up to bat.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If anyone cares, Hatsukoi Zombie ended. Standard lovecom ending.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress this, I was on team Ebino

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Plutonis posted:

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

this is so good :allears: and i can't wait to see more of it in the future

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
ebino deserved better than this...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New We can't learn

Kominamis mom was great.

I rather liked how much alike Kominami and het mom are.

looks like Kominami is the next of the girls to get focus. I'm looking forward to it, these mini arcs have all been excellent.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man the parents in this series are weird.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Mulderman posted:

Man the parents in this series are weird.

Uraka's mom is normal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We Never Learn is a dumb fun series but I think the thing I enjoy the most about it is that while the romantic angle is obviously the primary vector through which we experience the story, it is none of the characters' primary goal. Every single main character has very clear wants and needs outside of getting together with the main character and it makes it possible to root for them even if you don't want them to "win." It's really well-handled.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Rizu has definitely lost her 'is short' characteristic now with tiny senpai and her tinier mom, so I'm kind of hoping that there has been a series long joke building up and suddenly one day she'll show up and be like 7 feet tall as the punchline.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

I just hope she doesn´t get shoved into the strickly "has big tits" characteristic.

Speaking of, she's the only one who has yet to have a large arc dedicated to her.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

I just hope she doesn´t get shoved into the strickly "has big tits" characteristic.

Speaking of, she's the only one who has yet to have a large arc dedicated to her.
She's had two large arcs since the beginning, heyoooooo

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

She did have 2 smaller arc about her background. She had the one about gaming and the one with her being a hypnotist. But she ironically the flatest of the characters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the author wrote themselves into a corner with making Rizu emotionally stunted. It's hard to do much with that outside of just having some jokes.

Rizu did get the First Kiss, though, so that must count for something.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Her goal probably doesn't really help either.
All other girls have a clear goal and motivation for what they are doing. Rizu wants to be good at games.
Compared to:
I wanna follow into my dead mothers footsteps and hopefully repair the relationship with my lovely dad.
I wanna become an olympic athlete, but this requires me to leave all my friends and history behind.
I wanna take over my dad's small clinic and make it successful .
I wanna find a way to combine my love for skating with the passion I discovered for teaching.

I wanna be good at games seems kinda limiting. Maybe it has to do with the reason her mother isn't around?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I thought Ogata's goal was to be able to understand people better.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought Ogata's goal was to be able to understand people better.

Yeah, she decided after the maid cafe games tournament that merely being able to win games wasn't her entire motivation anymore, she truly wants to be a people person.

BTW, Ogata is still the shortest by a couple cm. Whenever she and Asumi stand next to each other, senpai is a tiny (heh) bit taller.

(Asumi's mom, though, all bets are off.)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I believe that Rizu will have the best miniarc, after all this time waiting.

It will be the best :negative:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

I believe that Rizu will have the best miniarc, after all this time waiting.

It will be the best :negative:

It will likely involve her coming to understand Sekijou in some way, so yes.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Chainsaw man ftw!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

RatHat posted:

If anyone cares, Hatsukoi Zombie ended. Standard lovecom ending.

#dropout just finished plowing through the preceding chapters, which gives more context to the ending. I think I like it better now. "I've been wanting to fall in love with you so badly that I can't stand it" is a good line, too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
More Railgun coming got me to read the Astral Buddy spinoff and...it's not bad. It's basically the exact same tone/content as regular Railgun and sometimes that's all I am in the mood for, such as right now.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
Is Railgun still readable if I have limited knowledge or interest in Index? I did watch the first two seasons of Index years back but barely remember what happened in the second, and stopped reading Railgun after their version of the Sisters arc which was excellent. I just want to make sure I don't have to read up to New Testament Volume 19 or whatever before I take the time to dive back in to the series.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Absolutely, if only because I have never read or watched a thing of Index but still enjoy current Railgun just fine. AFAIK it's still way behind the current Index novels timeline-wise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
characters cross over, but not plots. if you have no idea who some character who pops up is, it's cool, since they probably weren't even slightly important to begin with. that collective franchise has so many dang characters, oh my god.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

OK, Chainsaw man is a really cool and refreshing manga. Holy poo poo that last chapter was amazing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

OK, Chainsaw man is a really cool and refreshing manga. Holy poo poo that last chapter was amazing.
Chainsawman

I made a perpetual motion machine! That nobel's mine! *cue three days of fighting*

Chainsawman is just amazing, I can't see it keeping this up. But for now, I'm loving this poo poo.

I now also make a habit out of scrolling through it on the Shueshi website to give them the clicks needed to support this.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I want to read 1000 chapters of Chainsaw man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Both Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man basically make it clear that you have to be pretty much insane to take on their respective professions, which is kind of refreshing in a way.