Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Preechr posted:

I like the story about a bunch of dudes getting fed up with it and registering as a group of hunters, showing up at their usual hangout with klieg lights and super soakers filled with holy water. That’s how all vampire larps should end, really.

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Wacky Delly posted:

Any hit, doesn't say that the person taking damage is the one that was hit.

That's probably the way I'm going to try to explain it as well, assuming it gets that far.
I'll probably be too busy justifying the pre-emptive use of the power in the first place and how that shouldn't be a forfeit on my part.

The person playing my Second in the duel actually had a great idea with her husband about other tactics I can employ in the fight, so, I think I've still got the odds in my favor if nothing else.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
...SO, my commando pc is infiltrating a KE station to swap some evidence, we tunnel in from the ork underground with the decker nullifying siesmic and other sensors, buringn through with thermite while he loops the cams, etc. Thankfully he shut down the sensors because I come out through the backup generator I apparently scragged and soak 8Stun. My PC makes it to the vault and get in the drug safe, target goods are not there, but in the next door processing room is someone working on the stuff we need to swap. Through my cybereyes, the decker facially IDs the guy, gets his name and etc.

At this point plan B, our coked out face, enters the front of the station in disguise in case anyone notices her from her previous work as a background dancer in the popular Trogrock music videos such as Strippers in Bodybags, and its followup, Elf Mama, Trog Baby. She rolls 10 hits on her performance roll.

A certain female officer glares daggers at her, rolls composure, fails, grabs the intercom. * :siren:"OFFICER LAWRENCE DIMMICK, BADGE NUMBER 47826, please report to the front desk to deal with a hysterical pregnant hooker, your hysterical pregnant hooker".:siren:

A horrified dwarf stomps by my hiding PC headed toward the front with more or less every other person in there, all of them except him with an enormous schadenfreude grin. My pc is offering DNI advice as they swap the goods. <<MORE RUNNING MASCARA, MORE RUNNING SNOT>>

Face notices the dynamic going on and and points at female cop. "Lady get yourself checked out, he told me I got it from a toilet seat!"

Female officer rolls composure roll. Fails. completely. A handgun is drawn. She is tackled by her peers.

We get greedy, we decide to go for the valuables safe. We need some more distraction so I can finish and the face has an excuse to run away.
The decker makes another hack. Lawrence's smartlink pistol begins firing wildly into the ground and the face takes off screaming. The fire sprinklers go off, now everyone is screaming while I'm shoveling gems into a bag while trying not to hysterically cackle, both out of nervousness and also supervillainy before literally running away with a giant sack full of stolen goods that might as well have a nuyen sign on it.

We manage to get away, but apparently my logic 2 pc didn't grab the target 600 vials...they grabbed 1200 vials, analysis proves 600 were what we were after, 600 were an inert substance...the dwarf was for some reason trying to do the same thing were were. Welp.

The bonus theft, after we carefully fence it makes us all 5000 each and 11 karma for an otherwise probono job.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 12, 2019

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ronwayne posted:

At this point plan B, our coked out face, enters the front of the station in disguise in case anyone notices her from her previous work as a background dancer in the popular Trogrock music videos such as Strippers in Bodybags, and its followup, Elf Mama, Trog Baby. She rolls 10 hits on her performance roll.

A certain female officer glares daggers at her, rolls composure, fails, grabs the intercom. * :siren:"OFFICER LAWRENCE DIMMICK, BADGE NUMBER 47826, please report to the front desk to deal with a hysterical pregnant hooker, your hysterical pregnant hooker".:siren:
This is a great way to start a day. :krad:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
That is purely amazing, I am loving dying of laughter in public right now :lol:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I played in a lot of V:tM LARPs, and this is pretty true.

That's not to say you can't have good LARPs - but as with almost any RPG experience, as soon as you get people Taking Things Too Seriously, it all craters in a hurry.

That's why I've done plenty of RPGing, but I've never wanted to take the seeming next step and LARP. It strikes me as trying to take something inherently camp and silly a bit too seriously.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Preechr posted:

I like the story about a bunch of dudes getting fed up with it and registering as a group of hunters, showing up at their usual hangout with klieg lights and super soakers filled with holy water. That’s how all vampire larps should end, really.

This only works if the STs are as sick of the bullshit as you are, otherwise they shut the deviation down right quick.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Spoony once did a video about how he planted a bomb within Elysium, totally within the rules, and just had it nulled because it would spoil everyone's fun.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Kavak posted:

Spoony once did a video about how he planted a bomb within Elysium, totally within the rules, and just had it nulled because it would spoil everyone's fun.

Okay, but if your plan going off results in a bunch of other people dying or being miserable, that's when the ST should step in and stop you from being a dick. That's at least a third of why you have a ST in the first place?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kaza42 posted:

Okay, but if your plan going off results in a bunch of other people dying or being miserable, that's when the ST should step in and stop you from being a dick. That's at least a third of why you have a ST in the first place?

Yeah. The answer to that is, "Well, good."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

In non-vampire news, the Waterdeep: Dragon Heist game I'm running did chapter 2 last weekend.

Notable events included:
- The elf druid joining the Harpers, and thinking that she knew in-character that the warlock and the bard joined the Zhentarim, leading her to immediately trying to confess to Mirt that two of her friends were Zhents, which led to a whole lot of everyone eyeing each other suspiciously even though they had no reason in-character to do so.

- The same elf druid trying to out-sexcreep Mirt.
Me to her: "Please don't make me do this. You have not read Ed Greenwood books. You do not understand how much you don't want me to have to roleplay this."

- The kenku druid trying to solo a scarecrow (she joined the Emerald Enclave), actually did pretty good until she failed one of the Fear Paralysis saving throws. Luckily, she had brought the warlock and bard along for help.

- After killing the third scarecrow and reporting her success on the mission, she gets her Renown point and asks about payment.
Me: "You get the satisfaction of a job well done."
Druid: "What? I almost got gutted by these things! And there were three when I was told one! Can I try to convince them to toss me a little something for that?"
Me: Roll it.
Druid: *fails the charisma roll*
Me: "You're a college student, you should be used to working for exposure."
Druid: "Sad squawk."

- The bard and warlock managing to beat the drow who was killing elves in the Dock Ward. The warlock managed to land Witch Bolt early in the fight and was rolling consistently high damage each turn, the drow managed one really good shot on the warlock, but not enough to drop him before finally taking enough damage to leave.
Warlock, OOC to the Bard's player: "Heal me!"
The Bard: "I don't know that spell! We have two Druids, I figured I was good on not needing heal spells!"
Me: "Yeah, too bad y'all keep splitting the party."

- The bard and warlock going to the Yawning Portal to report on their mission. At this point, the group was 200g shy of having enough cash on hand to repair the bar, and they DID save the elf, so, I upped the gold reward since I expected them to get their asses kicked and didn't.
Me: "Davil tosses a pouch on the table that jingles noticeably, along with an eyepatch."
The bard and warlock have absolutely no idea of the significance of the eyepatch until I mention Jarlaxle's name.
Warlock: "Ohhhh! That's the guy from Idle Heroes of the Forgotten Realms!"

- And then probably the best part: The party managed to appease the ghost in the tavern and make friends with him. They went out and bought a chalkboard to hang up behind the bar for him to communicate, since poltergeists can't speak.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Stuff should only be written on the chalk-board when they're not looking. If they watch it, nothing happens. But if they turn their backs for an instant, by the time they look again it's full-on hypergraphia.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I don't know where it is these days, but I will never forget that hilarious VtM story where [massive story spoiler] someone sat "chanting" in a corner for a long period of time, everyone left him alone and then he cast a spell that killed every bastard in the room - it was totally rules legal.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

JustJeff88 posted:

I don't know where it is these days, but I will never forget that hilarious VtM story where [massive story spoiler] someone sat "chanting" in a corner for a long period of time, everyone left him alone and then he cast a spell that killed every bastard in the room - it was totally rules legal.

like that I felt like was allowable while Spoony's thing isn't, because the Guy chanting had fully expected someone go 'what the heck you doing?' or someone to clue in that he's up to something given he was going at it for literally hours.

Spoony is more "Surprise, Bomb!" which isn't fair.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

Spoony is more "Surprise, Bomb!" which isn't fair.

IIRC Spoony walked around with it quite a bit and nobody asked what his item was. This is second-hand though, I've never seen the video.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JustJeff88 posted:

I heard that story before.

The AOE spell was from some splatbook the player had. They talked it over with the STs for permission, and they allowed it since it was a VERY resource expensive spell - Like, I think they had enough for one attempt, and it would have been years of combined resources from the caster and their party before they'd be able to try again - STs said that if anyone so much as tapped them on the shoulder, the spell would fizzle.

So, the chanter put a sign on their back that said "Please do not disturb", went about chanting, and after however long it was supposed to take, they walked up to the ST and reported success.

Boom, everyone explodes in Blood, or whatever the spell did.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Kavak posted:

IIRC Spoony walked around with it quite a bit and nobody asked what his item was. This is second-hand though, I've never seen the video.

For those interested:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-vampire-spoonys-jyhad/

There's a long intro about what Vampire LARPs are but his story starts around 8:45. The video is about 28 minutes long.

The whole story is predicated on the fact that Spoony didn't know what kind of game he was getting into. It's like he walked into a PK game, got PK'd and then retaliated because he got PKd by blowing up the game. All could have been avoided if he had been warned to build a specific kind of character that would last in this world but also one that he wanted to play.

So Spoony overreacted (albeit in an awesome way) and no one in the game got taught any lessons other than "Spoony is an rear end in a top hat game-wrecker". Instead of having a real discussion about making new players feel welcome and warning them about building a character with protection and alliances, he overreacts then leaves, and the game will continue to play havok on newbies.

/soapbox

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 13, 2019

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Agrikk posted:

For those interested:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/counter-monkey/counter-monkey-vampire-spoonys-jyhad/

There's a long intro about what Vampire LARPs are but his story starts around 8:45. The video is about 28 minutes long.

The whole story is predicated on the fact that Spoony didn't know what kind of game he was getting into. It's like he walked into a PK game, got PK'd and then retaliated because he got PKd by blowing up the game. All could have been avoided if he had been warned to build a specific kind of character that would last in this world but also one that he wanted to play.

So Spoony overreacted (albeit in an awesome way) and no one in the game got taught any lessons other than "Spoony is an rear end in a top hat game-wrecker". Instead of having a real discussion about making new players feel welcome and warning them about building a character with protection and alliances, he overreacts then leaves, and the game will continue to play havok on newbies.

/soapbox

I dunno if it's fair to call it an overreaction though.
I mean, in your own analogy, you said it was like he walked into a PK game. Assuming you mean Player Kill, all he did was PK them better than they PK'd him.

Hell, half the point of Vampire is to be a petty little poo poo, and not much is pettier than pulling something like that off with full transparency and by the rules as written.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

the_steve posted:

In non-vampire news, the Waterdeep: Dragon Heist game I'm running did chapter 2 last weekend.

Notable events included:
- The elf druid joining the Harpers, and thinking that she knew in-character that the warlock and the bard joined the Zhentarim, leading her to immediately trying to confess to Mirt that two of her friends were Zhents, which led to a whole lot of everyone eyeing each other suspiciously even though they had no reason in-character to do so.

- The same elf druid trying to out-sexcreep Mirt.
Me to her: "Please don't make me do this. You have not read Ed Greenwood books. You do not understand how much you don't want me to have to roleplay this."

- The kenku druid trying to solo a scarecrow (she joined the Emerald Enclave), actually did pretty good until she failed one of the Fear Paralysis saving throws. Luckily, she had brought the warlock and bard along for help.

- After killing the third scarecrow and reporting her success on the mission, she gets her Renown point and asks about payment.
Me: "You get the satisfaction of a job well done."
Druid: "What? I almost got gutted by these things! And there were three when I was told one! Can I try to convince them to toss me a little something for that?"
Me: Roll it.
Druid: *fails the charisma roll*
Me: "You're a college student, you should be used to working for exposure."
Druid: "Sad squawk."

- The bard and warlock managing to beat the drow who was killing elves in the Dock Ward. The warlock managed to land Witch Bolt early in the fight and was rolling consistently high damage each turn, the drow managed one really good shot on the warlock, but not enough to drop him before finally taking enough damage to leave.
Warlock, OOC to the Bard's player: "Heal me!"
The Bard: "I don't know that spell! We have two Druids, I figured I was good on not needing heal spells!"
Me: "Yeah, too bad y'all keep splitting the party."

- The bard and warlock going to the Yawning Portal to report on their mission. At this point, the group was 200g shy of having enough cash on hand to repair the bar, and they DID save the elf, so, I upped the gold reward since I expected them to get their asses kicked and didn't.
Me: "Davil tosses a pouch on the table that jingles noticeably, along with an eyepatch."
The bard and warlock have absolutely no idea of the significance of the eyepatch until I mention Jarlaxle's name.
Warlock: "Ohhhh! That's the guy from Idle Heroes of the Forgotten Realms!"

- And then probably the best part: The party managed to appease the ghost in the tavern and make friends with him. They went out and bought a chalkboard to hang up behind the bar for him to communicate, since poltergeists can't speak.

Hope to hear more. My party spent a few sessions having fun in chapter 2. Though something you should know. At the end of each 10 day, it says to roll that table for profits on the Tavern. That table is daily based so you should multiply the result by 10.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
So I'm starting a new D&D 5th edition campaign, and it looks like we're going to Chullt setting for part of the campaign.

I pitched the idea of a Aaracocra performer background Monk, but I was told that they'd get exhausted more frequently, because they wouldn't be able to fly in the dense jungle. Fair enough about flying, but I felt the exhaustion thing was a bit arbitrary since I'd be the only one with this sort of disadvantage it looked like. Also, odd since he told me there would be other Aaracokra on the island too.

I emailed them in the group email this concern, that he'd seemed willing to set aside realism for fun, but the exhaustion thing felt a bit arbitrary and potentially unfun.

The GM emailed me back saying I was being "obtuse" and that this character was like jamming a square peg into a round hole.

I'm not even sure exactly what the disadvantage would be (I did reply for clarification on this, but haven't gotten a reply yet)

Is this a warning sign I should get out? Am I being obtuse?

The GM seemed otherwise cool, so I don't get this "of course birds would get more tired walking" thing, and why it's so important.

I have another character (a forest gnome illusionist conman) who I may play instead if I do stay with this group)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I would be leery in general about playing in 5e Chult but yeah that's not a great sign. You're already playing a Monk. Further hindrance isn't necessary.

In all seriousness that sounds completely arbitrary and inconsiderate and if you stick around and try it out I would count this as a first strike. Limiting a character choice can be okay in the generational stages but it should be a discussion between player and GM, not them putting a hard thing on you. Or at the very least giving you a hard no instead of just a soft no through a bad hindrance.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
He doesn’t want you to fly up and be able to see the railroad tracks.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Preechr posted:

Yup. He's calling you obtuse because you didn't understand that when he said "that's fine, but you'll be penalized for it" he meant "I don't want you playing that, but I'm too much of a poo poo to outright say no so I'll try to make you unwilling to play the option instead." Pretty much getting mad at you for him being bad at communication.

I probably wouldn't continue further with this group at all, myself, but if you do you probably should be on the lookout for other stupid poo poo like this happening in the future.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Preechr posted:

Yeah I think this is it. Flight is going to break whatever plan he has in store.

What's wrong with 5E Chult specifically?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Foolster41 posted:

I emailed them in the group email this concern, that he'd seemed willing to set aside realism for fun, but the exhaustion thing felt a bit arbitrary and potentially unfun.

The GM emailed me back saying I was being "obtuse" and that this character was like jamming a square peg into a round hole.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Ratcatchers

quote:

The ratcatchers' guild operates out of a two-story wooden building on Outcast Alley. The lower floor holds a front office, a back meeting room, closets full of rat-catching equipment, a trapdoor covering a sewer chute for carcass disposal, and the guild master's living quarters. The upper floor is abandoned, as its floors and walls are severely rotted.

The ratcatcher on duty in the front office challenges us, but when we tell him we have been hired by Mung to find Algie and find whoever has been abducting ratcatchers he gladly lets us in and walks us to see Weston, the guildmaster. On the way back he tells us that five ratcatchers have gone missing in the last month. Two have since turned up dead in alleys, their throats cut. Weston’s pleas to Prince Zeech, chamberlain of Thalos, to fix the mess have been ignored. Ratcatchers have stopped showing up for work and the threat of plague looms in the dark corners of the city.

We get to Weston’s chamber and the ratcatcher is shocked to see it empty and signs of a struggle. Further investigating reveals a tuft of hair, scuffed footprints on the floorboards, and a smear of blood form a trail leading to the sewer chute.

Snakeeyes states the obvious. “Whoever it was has taken Weston into the sewers. Crappy news.”

The access grate reveals a sloping passage just big enough for a full-sized man, so we Sardi have an easier go of it. We lower ourselves on a rope into the stench, me grumbling all the while as Snakeeyes moves with his customary detachment. We lower ourselves to the ground, in a dank and foul tunnel leading off into the darkness in either direction, standing on a small ledge over a slowly moving river of sludge. The smell is incredible and we fight the urge to vomit as I charge my lantern with oil and light it. A heads-o-tails moment sends us in a random direction into the darkness, searching for any sign of Winston or his attacker.

After what seems like an eternity, we come across a door, cobbled together from mildewed boards and rusty nails, resting against the slimy sewer wall. Splintered pockmarks stud the door's surface, and a light flickers around its edges. In the darkness above the door, something rustles.

Before either of us can do anything further, three mutant rats, dire rats it turns out, leap down from above and attack.

Snakeeyes whirls on two of them with his katana and I take steps backwards out of the way, setting down the lantern and using my staff to fend off the third rat. Snakeeyes takes a few scratches from the rats’ claws but defeats his pair but the narrow ledge proves tricky to wield my staff properly. Ultimately I fumble about in defense until Snakeeyes can kill my rat, slashing it across the midsection and kicking the stunned creature into the morass.

Figuring that the sounds of our scuffle must have alerted anyone inside, and further figuring that this was the lair, Snakeeyes flings down the door with a clatter and a splash and leaps through the archway.

To almost immediately take a crossbow bolt into his side. Staggered and bleeding he pushes forward into a filthy torch lit room. In the middle of the room a rangy human woman with scars and matted, straw hair drops her crossbow and transforms into a strange human-rat figure that crouches on all fours then leaps to attack. Snakeeyes readies his katana, but fearing for his wound I summon arcane energy to blast the Wererat with a shock bolt and then we both move in to skirmish with it. Snakeeyes’ wound gives him trouble and he fights defensively but I manage to eventually batter down its defenses with my staff.

Realizing I know almost nothing about wound care, Snakeeyes walks me though bandaging his side, hoping aloud that it doesn’t get infected down in this place. Stacked wooden cages conceal the far wall; most look empty, but a large cat hisses and swipes a paw through the bars of one cage. Dirty straw, animal waste, and dried blood cover the floor. A whip and a couple of spiked collars lie on a warped table. A stained curtain covers a hole in one of the walls.

I push the curtain aside as Snakeeyes opens the cage containing the cat, which hisses at him and bolts past us down the tunnel and out into the darkness of the sewer.

A rank pile of straw and a wooden crate appear to be the only furnishings in this small chamber. A figure lies bound and gagged on the ground who turns out to be Weston, the gray-haired halfling leader of the ratcatchers' guild. Apparently Beila the Were-rat was waiting for the Scarred Shadows to pick him up and deliver him to Vernon, as they're better at smuggling people through the city than she is. Weston is exceedingly grateful to us and tells us of a delusional plan by Vernon, Beila’s brother to take over Thalos by destroying the Ratcatchers Guild and the Sanitation Department and causing plague to spread through Thalos. He's heard all about Vernon's delusions of grandeur and scavenger supremacy via Bella's gloating.

We loot Beila’s lair and recover a packet of letters and papers and retreat back to the rope and up into the relative safety of the Guildhall. One of the rat catchers, a tall Sulouise man called Pike the Lefty tends to Winston and Snakeeyes as I pour over the documents Beila left behind.

They are correspondence with Beila’s brother Vernon and confirm Winston’s story about Vernon’s intent to take over Thalos by spreading filth and plague. And they indicate that Vernon has two ratcatchers imprisoned with him on a barge on the riverfront.

We are in no shape to pursue this Vernon so we decide to take Winston up on his offer to rest and recuperate here in the Department of Sanitation.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Hostile V posted:

I would be leery in general about playing in 5e Chult but yeah that's not a great sign. You're already playing a Monk. Further hindrance isn't necessary.

In all seriousness that sounds completely arbitrary and inconsiderate and if you stick around and try it out I would count this as a first strike. Limiting a character choice can be okay in the generational stages but it should be a discussion between player and GM, not them putting a hard thing on you. Or at the very least giving you a hard no instead of just a soft no through a bad hindrance.

I'd lay odds that he's going to be running Tomb of Annihilation, which involves hexcrawling, and related exhaustion/food and water consumption/jungle shithole annoyance rules. There are Aaracocra there, but they live in the mountainous region.

Not saying it isn't a red flag, but there may be extenuating circumstances here.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Definitely ask him to clarify why you're being obtuse because you really don't understand and if there's a problem with the character you've put forward then please just explain because you're both grown ups and this level of communication isn't great for a game.

If he's still weird then get out.

The birdman monk was the go to powergamer thing because flying is strong and going really fast is strong and flying really fast and grappling people and dropping them is even stronger. Some DM's don't feel comfortable going "hey if you can't fly in medium armour you definitely can't fly while carrying someone" so it ended up A Thing.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kavak posted:

Yeah I think this is it. Flight is going to break whatever plan he has in store.

What's wrong with 5E Chult specifically?
The newest version of Chult is Fantasy Africa with no sensitivity or cultural consultants used as resources to write Fantasy Africa. Chult has  been around for a while. Chult has been a problem for a while. They could have had relevant consultants on to help and did not. Chult is still a savage land of dinosaurs and tribes and cannibals and native mysticism. They did try to update the setting but they didn't hire people who could help to help.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/10/dungeons-dragons-stumbles-with-its-revision-of-the-games-major-black-culture/

Bieeanshee posted:

I'd lay odds that he's going to be running Tomb of Annihilation, which involves hexcrawling, and related exhaustion/food and water consumption/jungle shithole annoyance rules. There are Aaracocra there, but they live in the mountainous region.

Not saying it isn't a red flag, but there may be extenuating circumstances here.
Ah, yeah, you're right and I keep forgetting that exists because I treat all adventure modules with suspicion. Fair point for why Birdman shouldn't get in here but bad execution.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Bieeanshee posted:

Yeah, it is ToA, maybe I should have mentioned that. I think I either missed or he didn't say that there were also Aarocrkra, he said something about meeting some later.

EthanSteele posted:

Definitely ask him to clarify why you're being obtuse because you really don't understand and if there's a problem with the character you've put forward then please just explain because you're both grown ups and this level of communication isn't great for a game.

If he's still weird then get out.

The birdman monk was the go to powergamer thing because flying is strong and going really fast is strong and flying really fast and grappling people and dropping them is even stronger. Some DM's don't feel comfortable going "hey if you can't fly in medium armour you definitely can't fly while carrying someone" so it ended up A Thing.

That seems reqally weird to me to be able to do that (because yeah, a person is probibly going to be heavier than medium armor), but I'm hardly a power gamer.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 14, 2019

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Foolster41 posted:

That seems reqally weird to me to be able to do that (because yeah, a person is probibly going to be heavier than medium armor), but I'm hardly a power gamer.

Right? Its seems such an obvious thing to be able to point to and say "no because of this" but some people just can't do it for a variety of reasons.

Having permanent access to flight is super good and can scare DMs because they have to account for a third dimension in encounters and all the classic roadblocks don't work when a guy can just over it.

Let people be bird monks! Not everyone wants to drop a halfling from 100ft up in the air!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I think it's definitely in the rights of the DM to disallow races with flight, much like how it's in their right to deny any race. Flight is actually really annoying to work around and requires specific planning (always gotta have a few archers or whatever in every encounter, otherwise the entire party can just run away while the flying guy solos everything!), and dealing with a third dimension in any kind of scenario with minis or equivalent is a pain in the rear end. That DM should probably have been more clear, but I would not say it's a dealbreaker to have a DM go "No, races with an innate fly speed are not allowed".

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's the approach that's the problem. You could chalk it up to inexperience, but if that's the case it's best if he's confronted in private and told why it's a problem.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think it's definitely in the rights of the DM to disallow races with flight, much like how it's in their right to deny any race. Flight is actually really annoying to work around and requires specific planning (always gotta have a few archers or whatever in every encounter, otherwise the entire party can just run away while the flying guy solos everything!), and dealing with a third dimension in any kind of scenario with minis or equivalent is a pain in the rear end. That DM should probably have been more clear, but I would not say it's a dealbreaker to have a DM go "No, races with an innate fly speed are not allowed".

So, if the guy had just said what you said in the last sentence I seriously doubt anyone here would have a problem with that. The problem was he didn't say that. What he actually said was "You can play it, but I'm going to throw arbitrary penalties at you for it" and then seemed to take at least some level of offense when Foolster tried to see if he'd consider maybe, y'know, not using the arbitrary penalties.

He obviously doesn't want a race with an innate fly speed, which is fine, but instead of actually saying that he tried to passive aggressively dissuade its use. That is what the red flag is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I would just ask him if he is nervous about the at will flight and planning around it. If that is the case, then ask him to just be honest about those things.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, tonight was my vampire duel.

The MVP of the evening was definitely Personal Armor, because I was not making RPS chops for poo poo.
The time for the duel rolls around, and as I enter - replete with red basketball shorts, a red t-shirt with STIGMANIA painted on it in yellow and combat boots - Rick Derringer's "Real American" plays on a wireless speaker I had stashed in the room earlier, and I do as close to a Hulkamania entrance as I can before finishing with "WHAT'CHA GONNA DO AVA, WHEN STIGMANIA RUNS WILD ON YOOOOOUUUUUU!?" before ripping the shirt off, revealing a yellow shirt with STIGMANIA painted in red.

The fight begins with Stig shifting into a huge grizzly bear (I needed the extra hit points), having popped Personal Armor 35 minutes prior to the duel in order to circumvent the agreed upon "Can only spend 1 Blood per round" term we had in place for the fight.

Ava flies into a near-berserk fury. I don't think she actually frenzied, but she got about as close as you can.
Stig, on the other hand, is a grizzly bear trying to do pro-wrestling moves. Not his normal style of combat, and it shows as I pretty consistently lose on chops against her, though we threw enough chops that the law of averages dictated that I win a few.
But, because of Personal Armor, every time she hits me she also takes a point of damage, and she basically wears herself out by inches. She's long realized she has literally zero chance of victory, but, she opts to continue fighting. Frankly, I think she just wanted to punch Stig as much as she possibly could. For her final blow, she launches a full on Superman Punch, which Stig doesn't even bother trying to dodge or parry, instead mocking her as openly as a grizzly bear in wrestling tights can as she lands the punch and then crumples to the floor in defeat.

And so ends a fight that was 2 years in the making, at least for now. I don't believe for a second it's actually "over", but for now, she at least has to pretend to play nice with her clan elder.

Almost entirely certain I am going to catch hell from the Prince for making a mockery of a respected Camarilla tradition and because I'm pretty sure that he was honestly expecting Ava to win/wanted her to win, so I'm sure I'm on his bad side, but fuckit. That's a problem for future Stig.

the_steve fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 14, 2019

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

This is amazing, holy poo poo.

The epitomy of petty vampire dickery, I love it

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bieeanshee posted:

I'd lay odds that he's going to be running Tomb of Annihilation

If that's the case, play a Druid and goodbanana (bananas are berries) and survival check your way through everything (also keep gust of wind handy in case the murderfog shows up).

The jungle bits of Tomb of Annihilation are fun, but it also really sucks once you reach bit that's just the Tomb of Horrors With More Casual Racism.

I don't want to spoil too much about ToA but there's a bit about 1/3rd of the way into the tomb proper that is quite possibly the least enjoyable trap my gaming group has ever encountered. It was so bad our GM read what was going on, stopped the game, and explained the trap to us because it was such utter bullshit in an "if I let you guys fall into this it will ruin our friendships forever" moment.

If your DM is the sort who isn't willing to say "I'm sorry, I don't want you playing a flying monk" I hate to imagine how they'll handle that bit.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I know nothing about this game’s mechanics, why was the one damage she took from each hit more of a deciding factor than the damage she was doing with each hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

raminasi posted:

I know nothing about this game’s mechanics, why was the one damage she took from each hit more of a deciding factor than the damage she was doing with each hit?

Because vampires can soak damage all goddamn day. It was stipulated that minimum damage was one for this fight, so she was taking one damage from each of her attacks and also one damage from each of his, while he was only taking the one damage from each of hers.