Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

OZC posted:

Wait a sec... you're telling me I have these on BD and I didn't even know it?

Guess I've got some encoding to do.

Volume 2 and 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I can deal with someone not liking Sougo, I think they're wrong but they're welcome to their opinions.

It's Woz I will go to bat for. Nobody has expressed that opinion yet but not liking Woz is objectively wrong so don't try it.

Geiz is also really good. It is admirable to portray a character struggling with the difficult choice of Saving The World or Being Very Gay. I hope you make the right choice, Geiz.

I will also comment on Ghost Vs Wizard by saying I can't decide. Wizard was boring but it didn't have the worst final arc ever. Ghost had an awful last arc and wasted its characters, but no one character was as bad as loving Shunpei.

EDIT: Oh shoot I just realized you could make Drive perfect by condemning Wizard and Ghost to death and putting Rinko and Akari in Drive. They would've been great there and actually allowed to do things!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 12, 2019

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
Woz's Accidental Spoilers Time is the best permutation of a "previously on" segment and I'm so glad he just keeps doing it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I kind of wish Geiz was as effective as Spectre at making the main rider absolutely poo poo himself in fear thanks to multiple savage beatdowns.

Sougo’s character development is ‘will occasionally spontaneously develop the ability to resolve a plot’. His whole ‘I want to be a king’ thing is loving dumb.

Woz is perfect.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
man haruto is boring character in wizard but at least the show doesn't make him the super most awesome, he's still a fuckup that almost got everyone killed and made beast lose his power

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Sougo has stated that his desire to be a king stems from the dream he had where someone told him that was his destiny or whatever, right? And now we know that dude was Swartz. I'm guessing the original Sougo didn't have any of that but now it's a compulsion in him thanks to Swartz loving with his head as a child.

It may end up being nothing more than Sougo's "thing", but until that's confirmed just writing it off as a dumb character quirk seems silly in light of what we know.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Wizard is dragged down by shunpei who is basically Japanese Zach Braff in scrubs, and wizard being told to act like he doesn't care.

However Beast carried near every scene he was in and actually ended up saving the day in a creative way like a true hero.

The rest of the shows enjoyment depends on if you can watch it with friends or while stoned/drunk. Treating wizard like a cheesy B movie is the only way to not hate yourself when watching it. Gremlin for instance is at least something. He's a change of pace and quicky becomes a curious monster who ends up more interesting than Wiseman. Pretend that you're watching a Niel Breen movie during that scene where the lady cop has a heart 2 heart with Phoenix and accidentally gives him a new raison d'etre for wonton murder.

Ghost is just boring with brief flashes of potential. Not to mention the most tantrum loving baby whose power gimmick is dependency on other stronger people.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coq au Nandos posted:

I kind of wish Geiz was as effective as Spectre at making the main rider absolutely poo poo himself in fear thanks to multiple savage beatdowns.

Sougo’s character development is ‘will occasionally spontaneously develop the ability to resolve a plot’. His whole ‘I want to be a king’ thing is loving dumb.

Nah, Geiz doing that would be poo poo and lame. Geiz's entire point is that he sucks - he completely lacks the resolve to do what he must, and even if he did have it, he's nowhere near as strong as he thinks he is. His mission was doomed from the moment Sougo got the Zi-O Ridewatch, because there's just a gigantic difference in ability between them. The one time Geiz actually managed to outpower Sougo, it took using a Ridewatch specifically designed to kill Sougo, it nearly killed him in return, and it took a horrible misunderstanding for Geiz to even man up enough to trigger it.

Geiz is basically Makoto done right, in that the series is fully aware he's nowhere near as competent as he thinks he is and makes this very clear, instead of selling us a character as hyper-competent despite failing at everything whenever he's on-screen. Making him genuinely terrifying would be missing the point, not to mention it'd end the series in episode 1 since Sougo would be dead and the future would be safe(-ish? White Woz is clearly not trustworthy but at the same time stuff looked mostly normal in 2022).

Sougo's character development is him accepting that he can become an Evil Overlord, going from "yeah I'll be king anyways lol" to having a massive breakdown the moment he realizes exactly what his title means after seeing the future, to fully focusing on being a Good Overlord thanks to Geiz of all people, and then accepting that Evil is still very much a possibility and one he must accept thanks to Mirror Sougo. It's a pretty interesting arc, in that it's moved due to Sougo's good and bad sides instead of focusing on the former while the latter is either non-existent or used for gags, and we're never led to believe that Future Sougo is someone else and Sougo is fully good, even at the very beginning he comes across as kind of off and then from Wizard onwards there's a heavy focus on how Sougo is a manipulative bastard and an extremely effective one, regardless of his reasons, the exact kind of thing we expect from an Evil Overlord.

The whole "king" thing is meant to be stupid. No one takes it seriously and with good reason, because it's an impossible dream. And then it turns out that he will succeed!...And kill half of humanity in the process, while the other half is made his slaves. The people that know this look at Sougo with completely different eyes, everyone who doesn't sees him as a weirdo and shuns him, everyone that does is either more careful around him (Tsukuyomi), wants him dead (Geiz whenever he manages to focus, the Time Jackers sans Swartz), or wants him to reach that so they can take advantage of it (Swartz, Black Woz though in a much more seemingly benevolent way). That dream of kingship is the absolute focus of not only Sougo, but the story in general, since everyone is or will be affected by it, from Sougo's loneliness and drive to Geiz and Tsukuyomi's suffering and even Swartz's ambition.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Blaze Dragon posted:

Nah, Geiz doing that would be poo poo and lame. Geiz's entire point is that he sucks - he completely lacks the resolve to do what he must, and even if he did have it, he's nowhere near as strong as he thinks he is. His mission was doomed from the moment Sougo got the Zi-O Ridewatch, because there's just a gigantic difference in ability between them. The one time Geiz actually managed to outpower Sougo, it took using a Ridewatch specifically designed to kill Sougo, it nearly killed him in return, and it took a horrible misunderstanding for Geiz to even man up enough to trigger it.

Geiz is basically Makoto done right, in that the series is fully aware he's nowhere near as competent as he thinks he is and makes this very clear, instead of selling us a character as hyper-competent despite failing at everything whenever he's on-screen. Making him genuinely terrifying would be missing the point, not to mention it'd end the series in episode 1 since Sougo would be dead and the future would be safe(-ish? White Woz is clearly not trustworthy but at the same time stuff looked mostly normal in 2022).

Zi-O has by far my favourite take on having the secondary rider being outmatched and defeated by the main rider, by making it a significant plot point resulting in character development.

Zi-O 30 Spoilers: Woz still gonna Woz, that scene after forming Trinity was amazing, right down to Sougo slightly moving the clock hand. White Woz will be missed.... The preview though, are they finally going to do something with Tsukuyomi?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The latest episode of Zi-O was absolutely fantastic. I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to hear the monolith itself speak again, and that we didn't get any Bad End bugs running around, but I can understand they wouldn't want to make a suit for maybe a couple of seconds of fighting. It's also a very interesting (potential) end to Blade.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Sazabi posted:

Wizard is dragged down by shunpei who is basically Japanese Zach Braff in scrubs, and wizard being told to act like he doesn't care.

Shunpei is actually on the same boat as Haruto (and I would argue, most of the cast), an actor with decent comedic timing saddled with a godawful script. I wasn't too big on his hate train back when the show aired, and after seeing him in several comedies since, I can confirm he can convey good comedy. The entire main cast is fairly solid actually.

So basically gently caress Wizard's head writer who either couldn't or didn't know how to write funny material. All hail Junko Komura.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ignis posted:

Shunpei is actually on the same boat as Haruto (and I would argue, most of the cast), an actor with decent comedic timing saddled with a godawful script. I wasn't too big on his hate train back when the show aired, and after seeing him in several comedies since, I can confirm he can convey good comedy. The entire main cast is fairly solid actually.

So basically gently caress Wizard's head writer who either couldn't or didn't know how to write funny material. All hail Junko Komura.

Wizard is a tale of wasted potential. It has loads of uncut gems but does nothing to polish them.

Ghost is a tale of a script that should've been killed and turned into something better.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

EDIT: Oh shoot I just realized you could make Drive perfect by condemning Wizard and Ghost to death and putting Rinko and Akari in Drive. They would've been great there and actually allowed to do things!

But there's already a copy lady and a scientist lady in Drive.

Or is :thejoke:

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Ghost is a tale of a script that should've been killed and turned into something better.

The only real thing I've gotten out of value of the vast majority of Ghost is being able to describe plot points from it to friends of mine who haven't seen it and them being unsure if I'm making up something like that. Especially the Spectre movie or anything involving the Sage.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I have heard something about Spectre movie that would be dumb even for cape comics. Must have been good even in context.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

Wizard is a tale of wasted potential. It has loads of uncut gems but does nothing to polish them.

Ghost is a tale of wasted suit design. :colbert:

Xelkelvos posted:

Eh, I think it's just that he thinks Akari and Rinko are cool, which I kinda agree with? Rinko is pretty great.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

I whole-heartedly agree with this opinion.

Also, last episode of Zio was fantastic. Good humor, good character development.

Following this episode I really hope that Trinity is used in the final battle for the last attack.
With the whole thing about Sougo being lonely and white Woz failing to make friends it would feel like the most thematically perfect ending.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

First look at Kamen Rider Brain

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Asking my friends who watched Drive about the news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_AOfzrQYV0

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokNRHpH3Ao

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Zi-O 30 was a very cool ending to Blade. I wish they did tribute episodes like this in the beginning of the series because it was seriously great. Unfortunately, I assume Hajime and Kenzaki become Jokers again if/when Zi-O inevitably ends with all Riders getting their powers back, so that's kind of a downer...

Looking forward to the Agito arc next!

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 12, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

King of Solomon posted:

Eh, I think it's just that he thinks Akari and Rinko are cool, which I kinda agree with? Rinko is pretty great.
Yup, this. There's nothing wrong with even more cool and useful ladies. Or just replace the weird otaku hacker guy with Akari and add Rinko to the team since there's no one else I'd want to replace. I guess I didn't like the boss at first but he grew on me.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Zi-O 30 was a very cool ending to Blade. I wish they did tribute episodes like this in the beginning of the series because it was seriously great. Unfortunately, I assume Hajime and Kenzaki become Jokers again if/when Zi-O inevitably ends with all Riders getting their powers back, so that's kind of a downer...

Looking forward to the Agito arc next!

i gotta hand it to zi o. it's made me want to go watch decade and blade. and it's made me excited enough to watch weekly, And without subs. and on protag talk. i really like Sougo, and Geiz. -i wish i had more words about them but i just think they're neat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the boss in drive seemed like a useless bureaucrat who never contributed anything. but really, he was acting to keep the anti-roidmude department insulated from a huge organization full of even more useless bureaucrats who would have gladly ruined them for no reason at all. without him, they would have been shut down very quickly because of dumb office politics, leaving no one to handle the shapeshifting androids on a killing spree.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Chief is the best character in Drive, second only to Chase, and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Chief is the best character in Drive, second only to Chase, and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

That we're getting a new Drive spinoff several years after the series ended and it's not about any of those says that an important part of the Japanese fanbase thinks otherwise at least.

Also Zi-O keeps being really good. Getting a proper sweet finale to Blade after the bittersweet ending feels really good, which is shocking to me because KR has done this before and it's always felt super unearned and conflicting (see: W, much as I love it), plus Blade's finale is one of the best ever, yet this just feels right. I'm kind of sad that Kenzaki barely existed though, he got like no lines in and showed absolutely none of his personality until the very end, but at least Hajime got some nice moments.

The Zi-O cast worked better. Sougo and White Woz's moment was very nice as was the moment with both Woz. I genuinely felt super sad for White Woz in the end, which I didn't expect to considering he was pretty unlikable until now. But his sacrifice gave us TRINITY, and god that was neat. I laughed really hard at Woz's "sorry but this must be done. IWAE" and Sougo correcting the clock hand, and Trinity Time Break Burst Explosion being literally just all three finishers mashed together is super neat.

Kaito's apparently working with Oma Zi-O, which doesn't surprise me considering Tsukasa is trying to stop him from taking power even if it means destroying the world (or he claims to, knowing Tsukasa he's full of poo poo and won't destroy anything). Interestingly, Oma Zi-O's Ridewatch count skips Ryuki, establishing Rider Time: Ryuki's canonicity and its placement as after the Ryuki Arc (21-22) but before the Blade Arc (29-30). It also establishes that Geiz's stolen Ridewatches do not count for Sougo's ascension, giving legitimacy to the Ghost Arc (which otherwise may feel pointless beyond obtaining the Decade Ridewatch) while at the same time foreshadowing a Drive Arc in spite of Geiz already owning said Ridewatch. With Agito happening next week, we're left with Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva and Drive in the future.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 13, 2019

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'm totally digging RyusoulRed.

Also if you told me a few episodes in Zi-Oh that it would redeem itself and kind of become interesting, I'd have slapped you.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

V-Men posted:

I'm totally digging RyusoulRed.

Also if you told me a few episodes in Zi-Oh that it would redeem itself and kind of become interesting, I'd have slapped you.

i wouldn't have told you that because Zi-Oh was never bad.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I thought Den-O was taken care of in the movie but apparently not? Another Den-O shows up in the movie at least, and it'd be weird if he wasn't taken care of then.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Den-O shows up in person in the movie but I can't actually remember if they get the Den-O RideWatch. I don't think so since with Den-O himself there they didn't need it. It is odd in retrospect that they wouldn't use that opportunity to call the Den-O finished though since it'd be hard to top the band finally getting back together.

EDIT: Yeah there was no Den-O Armor in the movie so they definitely didn't get it.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Ignis posted:

Yeah I'm willing to accept the cast can act. And that most of the blame should fall on people who are behind the camera. However Shunpei the character is probably the worst part of a bad show.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I maintain that you could excise Shunpei from Wizard entirely and not only would nothing change story-wise, the quality of the show overall would actually go up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Can someone who watched Blade to the end tell me in a quick rundown what exactly Hajime/Chalice is? I thought he was a Human Undead who became a Joker because he won the tournament, but I've also read that he always was actually a giant Joker cockroach who was gifted the appearance of an early prehistoric human who won the tournament and...set him free or something?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

Can someone who watched Blade to the end tell me in a quick rundown what exactly Hajime/Chalice is? I thought he was a Human Undead who became a Joker because he won the tournament, but I've also read that he always was actually a giant Joker cockroach who was gifted the appearance of an early prehistoric human who won the tournament and...set him free or something?
My understanding is he's a Joker Undead who was given emotions and a proper mind by the Human Undead sealed in one of his cards, but I may be misremembering.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

he was always the joker undead. his human form was thanks to getting the card from the human undead, which was foreshadowed from his first appearance. hajime gained more human traits over the course of the show, as the result of living as a human.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Today's Agito episode was one suffering Gills short of perfect. Love me some Agito.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blade in Zi-O: bittersweet ending is fixed and now everyone can be happy.
Ryuki in Zi-O: happy ending is destroyed, everyone's dead.

What a weird way to use Ryuki in general in this. A lot of it feels out of place and random like Odin apparently being Kanzaki who was back into trying to revive Yui despite the current timeline existing as such exactly because he didn't, the Zi-O parts were horribly pointless most of the time and it's never explained how the hell Another Ryuki even happened since none of the Time Jackers were apparently involved, and the Another Ryuki and Odin fights were boring as hell. Not to mention how the excuse for it not being immediately fixed is a plot hole in and of itself, Geiz says they can't beat Another Ryuki because he's from Mirror World but that's not the case at all, we're just meant to ignore the Zi-O II Ridewatch despite being created specifically to beat an Another Rider from Mirror World in the first place!

There's also the fact that Tezuka is horribly OOC and I have the weirdest feeling he was meant to be Miho instead. It'd make sense, the betrayal aspect of the character and the sudden relationship would be a lot more logical with her, but instead Femme isn't in the war at all. She's replaced with Abyss who does absolutely nothing, which heavily makes me think the change was last-minute due to the actress' pregnancy. I mean, it's great having genuinely canon gay Riders that are shown to be gay on-screen instead of heavily subtexted like Diend, but it's clearly...not a good relationship at all and it feels really off for me that Tezuka's revealed to be gay at the same time that he takes several levels in evil. And the other part is the always-psychopathic Shibaura...

Regardless of that, I guess a lot of it worked fine, nice character moments and all, but it was a pointless despair-fest with a lot of things that happened because they had to happen (where the hell did the Ryuki and Knight Ridewatches come from? They were just randomly created. Where did Another Ryuki come from? From a guy that's apparently alive now and back to his old deeds despite having no real way to be? Why did Asakura have his memories and no one else did? Just...a lot of poo poo that wasn't explained).

Basically they should've gotten the actual writer back, or at least let the Zi-O writer take care of this, and not someone that's already not well-liked in the first place for this. Overall it's just...eh. It happened and I'm not particularly pleased with it.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Check this out.

Someone remade the Build opening using Japanese clip art and it's adorable. Banjou is the best.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Check this out.

Someone remade the Build opening using Japanese clip art and it's adorable. Banjou is the best.

The hot/cold bottles slayed me. I shouldn't be laughing this hard at work and yet I can't stop.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want a version made out of WikiHow pics now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3eIBr2ol2c

The same but for OOO.