Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did we mention in here that they recently hired the linguist who made up Dothraki and Valyrian on Game of Thrones to work on Dune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I am getting hype for a linguist getting hired

Dishonoring the memory of fred jelinek

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

MikeJF posted:

Did we mention in here that they recently hired the linguist who made up Dothraki and Valyrian on Game of Thrones to work on Dune?

Ugh. WHY

I saw an ad years ago for the dude who invented the Na'vi language was on tour. He compounded the uselessness of his career by giving talks to people so that they can, presumably, go forth and make up languages* for the burgeoning YA genre "Harry Potter is the end of fiction". The best thing about Herbert's verbal flourishes was their obvious nod to their roots. It's winking at the reader, not standing over him like Khal Drogo, drawling out some barbarian death verse before a fight.

Point is, let's use extant languages like they do in the books.

*that sound like Elvish-Arabic (for high elves, dark elves, some dragons, and probably whatever they spoke wherever Riddick came from) or NuVictorian Nadsat (for your Joss Whedon fans) or the ever popular "Space Orc or Ork".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He's developed languages for shows and movies before that are deliberately noticeable descendants of existing ones.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Hey, is this the "let's wait and see and hope for the best" thread or the "nitpick what you want and poo poo on whatever" thread? I just hope they don't get into Klingon-esque kinds of stuff, you know?

If the movie's a hit, you just know @duneauthor will try and take it that way.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I admit I'd appreciate a good rendering of Chakobsa but odds are they'll just make it sound like every other fantasy movie language.

I'm hoping there's not too many inexplicable English accents, while we're talking language stuff.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Same.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Billy Jee[li]n[g] is not my lover

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Of course the credits of this up and coming feature film will say based on novels by Brian Herbert, Kevin J Anderson & Frank Herbert.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
If I see that nonsense I will walk out of the theater in protest and then quickly walk back in

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New starwars also filmed in wadi rum recently.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Should have filmed concurrently so the two idiots would be distracted.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He says he's working on more than one language. The Fremen Chakobsa is probably the language he has to work on the least. There are other languages he has to just invent.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What the gently caress isn't Fremen Chakobsa a variation of Arabic? I hope it turns into something like belter patois from the Expanse. Which sounds awesome because the actors speaking it sell it hard.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

He has to make up the language of The Voice which will shatter stones, start fires, and suffocate an enemy where he stands

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The task of a lifetime for a film linguist, really

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I better get a CHUK SA in this bitch

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Doc Hawkins posted:

He has to make up the language of The Voice which will shatter stones, start fires, and suffocate an enemy where he stands

He probably would do fine at that, since spinning his pointless talent for making up words would require convincing several idiots at the studio through subtlety, misdirection and nonverbal cues.

The book was translated into how many languages? Come on, guy. Leave the movie alone with your Tolkien poo poo.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Harkonnen battle tongue of gay innuendo, burps, farts and tongue clicks.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Harkonnen battle tongue of gay innuendo, burps, farts and tongue clicks.

Lovely lovely Feyd....

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Doc Hawkins posted:

Gonna do some pimpass poo poo, break the ground with my voice and make his eyes turn hhhwwwwHIIIITE!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

uber_stoat posted:

Gonna do some pimpass poo poo, break the ground with my voice and make his eyes turn hhhwwwwHIIIITE!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Amazon prime version doesn’t have the “history will call us wives” scene. Extremely inferior

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

Dayummmnn

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BONGHITZ posted:

Amazon prime version doesn’t have the “history will call us wives” scene. Extremely inferior

If I were Irulan, I would've responded to that remark with "honey, wives will call you HISTORY." I am not certain which Bene Gesserit skill this would count as.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Temaukel posted:

They are filming in Wadi Rum.
Just to give you a sense of scale (I'm betting they chose this place to be the set of the shield wall/arrakeen basin, etc.):

For comparison, this is John Shoehnerr's depiction of Arrakeen and the Shield Wall (1978):

Also where a large part of Lawrence of Arabia took place and was filmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb0HBNfc_Eg

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
David from Prometheus is the spark for the Butlerian Jihad

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Communist Walrus posted:

Clearly they have passive butt catheters, ya dinguses
"Recaths" is a thing that's mentioned. So probably not far off.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fuckin how are you going to fight or have any interaction with shai hulud with a catheter in

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

~~ runs Catheter Naib ad on public access sietch tv ~~

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

fuckin how are you going to fight or have any interaction with shai hulud with a catheter in

I will bend like I have a reed in my rear end

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

We Fremen have a saying: "God created Arrakis to train the faithful." Which means extensive rear end play training so you can learn to fight with a giant funnel up your butt.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

I would hope you have the option of extending the butt funnel and not needing to always have it in... unless thats your thing whatever

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It's superior to Sardaukar aneros training

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I pictured Fremen taking dust baths like chinchillas.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I pictured Fremen taking dust baths like chinchillas.

You scrub your rear end with sand!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
My girlfriend showed me the Dune subreddit and they were having serious discussions about Fremen sietch life and I have to say I prefer the tone here much more.

Like where's the rear end play?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
R/dune is ok, the artwork is really cool, they are in the middle of a debate about @duneauthor which will probably lead to a spin-off, but the Reddit style is not well suited to discussing the text in a controversial way, as all the jokes get upvoted and anything that was in the movies but not the books struggles to have positive karma.

I feel quite strongly about how I think Frank saw the Duniverse, and I like to share it when appropriate, the single threaded nature of traditional forums is better for that.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

karma is fundamentally a problem. ranking popularity stuff first over linear presentation means that you can never have meaningful conversations about much of anything.

i like reddit for some stuff, but definitely not for discussion. i dont go to the dune subreddit but i can't imagine i'd feel any different about this if i did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

exmachina posted:

R/dune is ok, the artwork is really cool, they are in the middle of a debate about @duneauthor

What’s to debate?

I mean that seriously. Does anyone (who gives a gently caress about the series) actually consider his turboshits cannon?