Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Croatoan posted:

As am I but I won't easily give up my ad-free version of Hulu. I'm curious how they'll work that out. I looked at ESPN+ and since I only get into NFL I could give gently caress all for ESPN+.

The thing that kills me is that Disney loving *owns* ESPN. Why can't they offer a full ESPN streaming package. Hell, I'd pay for it separately and a bit more too. Instead we get ESPN+ which is good I guess if you're fans of the sports it carries which is 3rd tier colleges, tennis and soccer it looks like (although if you're a soccer fan, it looks fantastic).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Proteus Jones posted:

The thing that kills me is that Disney loving *owns* ESPN. Why can't they offer a full ESPN streaming package. Hell, I'd pay for it separately and a bit more too. Instead we get ESPN+ which is good I guess if you're fans of the sports it carries which is 3rd tier colleges, tennis and soccer it looks like (although if you're a soccer fan, it looks fantastic).

I guarantee part of Disney's end of their carriage agreements with the cable companies is an obligation not to do exactly that with ESPN.

I'm sure once the "cable revenue" line goes south of the "potential streaming subscriber revenue" line on the graph they'll stop agreeing to it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheScott2K posted:

Disney is trying to be the streaming service people who only have one OTT streaming service use and I don't think Netflix's pile of bad standup specials, middling movies, and indistinguishable original series is going to stop them.

It's got to be scary knowing the people coming for you know what they're doing.

I barely watch Netflix these days. Most of their original stuff does not appeal to me at all. poo poo, I watch CBS All Access more than it right now.

Proteus Jones posted:

ESPN is in the shitter right now and everyone knows it. I suspect they have something in the works for ESPN streaming. As soon as it becomes more profitable to go that route than compared to what they make from cable companies, they'll pull the trigger. I hate talking about megacorporations in this way, but it's clear to me Disney knows what they're doing with all this streaming service poo poo.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 12, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I don't see it as a Netflix Killer. I see it as an example of how these streaming platforms should look. Everybody wants to make a streaming platform right now like it's a goddamn gold rush and I don't want to pay $11.99 for ad-free CBS all access or whatever lesser tier platform you want to think of as an example. I would 100% be down with a world where I sub to Disney+, Hulu, Netflix and Amazon (I mean, I already have prime so I barely think of the cost). Not so much with every studio forcing cable-without-cable prices.

It's also why I'm stoked about 5G coming. Comcast is scared as hell and for good reason. Fuckers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Croatoan posted:

It's also why I'm stoked about 5G coming. Comcast is scared as hell and for good reason. Fuckers.

LoL if you think 5G isn't going to make Comcast look like Santa Claus when it comes to data caps.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

I guarantee part of Disney's end of their carriage agreements with the cable companies is an obligation not to do exactly that with ESPN.

I'm sure once the "cable revenue" line goes south of the "potential streaming subscriber revenue" line on the graph they'll stop agreeing to it.

Yeah, they may be locked in for a while yet. I'm sure it will happen since ESPN is hemorrhaging money like crazy (and has been for years). Hell, they've lost 13 million viewers from cable since 2011. Assuming $8/month per person, that's a poo poo ton of lost money. Especially compared to the *insanely* expensive licensing fees they pay to the various professional leagues and the NCAA.

I remember reading a couple years ago an estimate that given licensing and operating costs, ESPN would need to pull in $25/month per viewer to break even (or make a small profit). Now, I won't pay that much per month, but I would pay $15/month and if they sold ad space directly it might work out.

Eh, everything is still a mess and maybe one day we'll get affordable a la carte. If it weren't for ESPN, I'd be fine with Pluto, Amazon Prime, and OTA.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

TheScott2K posted:

LoL if you think 5G isn't going to make Comcast look like Santa Claus when it comes to data caps.

Probably but it will 100% break this whole bullshit "We can't have more than 2 competitors in a market place because uhh... *donates to politicians* uhhh... "reasons".

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Probably but it will 100% break this whole bullshit "We can't have more than 2 competitors in a market place because uhh... *donates to politicians* uhhh... "reasons".

What do you think 5G is going to do to affect that situation that LTE couldn't have?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It's not feasible to run a home network bandwidth on LTE but it is on 5G.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Edit: the only thing I haven't seen mentioned is if they'll let you download content for offline viewing like Netflix and Amazon does.

Every piece of content will be available for offline viewing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I do have a question though. Are they going to limit the # of screens? With 2 kids I see using 3 screens at a time easy.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Netflix is fine. Whether or not some people in here like their original content, it's doing well enough to drive subscriber growth even after losing a lot of high profile licensed stuff. Netflix also is established and can always scale back their original slate to compete on price if they need to.

CBS and NBCU(Comcast) are kinda hosed though.

As I said in the general TV thread, Disney just priced this the same as ad-tier CBS All-Access with a far broader swath of content, in better quality, and without ads. Also, until CBS and Viacom/Paramount tie the knot again, they are SEVERELY hamstrung in content depth since they won't have feature films or many of the cable networks like Comedy Central or MTV. I mean, I would sign up and maintain a CBS All-Access sub in a second if it was $6.99 /month, included Paramount movies and back catalog/currently airing Comedy Central and Nickelodeon shows ad free and 4k HDR where available.

Comcast hasn't launched their NBCU streaming service yet, but Disney just set the standard of how much you should pay for ad free, high quality, with a deep catalog. So, unless Comcast matches it, every article talking about the launch of their service is going to be giving free press to Disney by comparing it unfavorably from a value perspective. So, Comcast better bring the game with a full catalog of NBC, Syfy, and USA content along with Universal Studios feature films ad free and 4k HDR where available.

Astro7x posted:

Edit: the only thing I haven't seen mentioned is if they'll let you download content for offline viewing like Netflix and Amazon does.

It was mentioned that you will be able to do that on portable devices.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Croatoan posted:

I do have a question though. Are they going to limit the # of screens? With 2 kids I see using 3 screens at a time easy.

Good question - don’t think they talked about that at all yesterday, but I would assume multiple screens will he allowed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Every piece of content will be available for offline viewing.

Glorious... I prefer not to pirate stuff when I can, but viewing shows on the train on my way to work is a huge pain in the rear end when I have to use data

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Comcast hasn't launched their NBCU streaming service yet, but Disney just set the standard of how much you should pay for ad free, high quality, with a deep catalog.

Don't bet on them keeping the price at this point for more than a year or two though. They want to become the defacto like Netflix, and as soon as they are, they're gonna increase their prices.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Inept posted:

Don't bet on them keeping the price at this point for more than a year or two though. They want to become the defacto like Netflix, and as soon as they are, they're gonna increase their prices.

Disney? Raise prices?

The hell you say.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
To be fair, I'd be willing to pay $19.99/month for this personally. $14.99/month if I didn't have kids.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Yeah, every parent is going to have it. I know we're in for at least a year upfront as soon as it is available.

I still don't understand why they're waiting on this launch so long. Surely BAM or whomever is actually doing it has it mostly ready to roll by now.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Could they be waiting for contracts for content to expire with other streaming providers? Kind of pointless to launch the service when I can still view all of the recent and relevant stuff on Netflix.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Astro7x posted:

Could they be waiting for contracts for content to expire with other streaming providers? Kind of pointless to launch the service when I can still view all of the recent and relevant stuff on Netflix.

It's this. Plus there's probably some loose ends to tie up with the Fox acquisition.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

I think they also want to get the launch into Q1 of their next fiscal which is this fall. They are also a bit behind on platform marketing and all the internal “synergistic” poo poo they need to have ready to be able to launch and get the scale they want.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rastor posted:

that's nuts, you should see if you can get the complete Comcast price sheet for your zip code. Sometimes there's like a 75mbps + HBO bundle for $80/month, it varies wildly by area though.

How do I get that? Google doesn't show anything when I look it up. Comcast rigged their site not to show internet-only plans so I'm dependent on what their phone rep tells me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Try googling ‘Comcast rate card’ any maybe your ZIP.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Fallom posted:

How do I get that? Google doesn't show anything when I look it up. Comcast rigged their site not to show internet-only plans so I'm dependent on what their phone rep tells me.

You can definitely see internet only plans on Comcast. It's rear end backwards designed but it's definitely there

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Has anyone canceled their Comcast (just cable, because I want to keep internet) early? As I said earlier in this thread I had to upgrade to their internet unlimited plan, and now that I did that I have zero reasons to use their cable service (I got it again due to cap issues when I was just streaming, I know I'm dumb). The picture is lovely in comparison to streaming, UI is bad, and I really don't watch cable anymore. The issue is I still have like 15 months (I think) on my contract. Still even if it is like $300 to cancel, it makes sense to do it (that is pretty much just 3 or so months of paying for cable).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Usually with Comcast a contract is to stay with Comcast, not to stay on any particular plan. But I don't think anything they do would surprise me

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

trem_two posted:

Looks like I'm actually eligible for another week long free trial for Hulu live, the last time I checked I wasn't. So I guess I'll just give it a go for a week. I appreciate the input though.

So after a few days, Hulu's stream quality has been legit, on both my Roku devices and using a browser. So, I think I am going to cancel youtube tv for Hulu since it'll save me a few bucks, since I already pay for Hulu anyways. Plus balancing viewing across one less app is kind of nice.

Only negative is that Hulu's live feeds are about 15 seconds more delayed than youtube, which isn't all that great for sports, but I guess I'll live with it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I know I am all over the place in this thread.... but I'll ask anyway.

So SlingTV has a special for 3 months for $15/mo on Blue or Orange. They also have an offer for the AirTV Player bundle where if you prepay for 3 months it's free. So it includes the AIrTV player and device to plug in an antenna (Worth $100 to $120) plus an RCA antenna.

Basically, can I subscribe to Blue for $45 for three months and get the AirTV thing for free? Which I understand, does not require the sling service to display the local channels on your TV through the Roku app?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
YouTube is finally coming back to Amazon’s Fire TV devices
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/18/18412525/youtube-amazon-fire-tv-prime-video-chromecast-return-announcement

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vice versa too, Amazon will finally be able to cast to Chromecast devices.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Vice versa too, Amazon will finally be able to cast to Chromecast devices.

Now you have my attention

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Not sure when this happened, but Vue on Apple TV fully supports custom time increments via the Siri remote now (e.g. "Fast-forward 3 1/2 minutes" to skip a typical commercial break).

This is a native feature on the ATV, but it specifically did not work with PS Vue for a while.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Who cares about chromecast. Will the amazon prime video app become available for more Android TV devices other than the Shield?

Or did that already happen? (I ditched my Shield last year for a Roku because of the lack of DTVNOW app).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Lots of people care about Chromecast, actually. Way more than "AndroidTV other than the Shield"

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Excuse me, everyone knows Roku is the Volkswagen of the streaming devices.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The article says the Amazon prime video app with become available on other Android TV devices.

Yay!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

TheScott2K posted:

Lots of people care about Chromecast, actually. Way more than "AndroidTV other than the Shield"

This is true, I used to really like chromecast when it first came out but eventually soured on not having an actual remote.

Croatoan posted:

As a GTI owner, I feel personally attacked.

stevewm posted:

The article says the Amazon prime video app with become available on other Android TV devices.

Yay!

This is good news.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I've never thought of the Roku to be either overpriced or unreliable? Are they actively and maliciously cheating regulators? I really don't understand this analogy!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Those Roku streaming sticks are garbage, and the RokuOS on TCL TVs is usable. But I think the high end devices are fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Astro7x posted:

Those Roku streaming sticks are garbage, and the RokuOS on TCL TVs is usable. But I think the high end devices are fine

Unless you're using a streaming stick from 4 years ago, this objectively not true.