Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Bright Session dudes broke down #s on podcast production costs https://hotpodnews.com/making-money-part-one/

Another paid podcast network? Yeah no thanks. I liked TBS but not enough to pay another $8 a month to keep listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Another paid podcast network? Yeah no thanks. I liked TBS but not enough to pay another $8 a month to keep listening.

Well, I was already paying $5/month in its Patreon, so I don’t have a problem with this. But it is getting cumbersome with how many different places there are to stream media.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Well, I was already paying $5/month in its Patreon, so I don’t have a problem with this. But it is getting cumbersome with how many different places there are to stream media.

That's my main issue. I seriously think that we're gonna get to a point of podcast network arms races where these stupid services are going to throw money at popular creators to build their network and before you know it you'll have to sub to like 3-5 different premium services you probably don't want and/or are redundant for a handful of podcasts, not to mention the outright annoyance of a number of individual apps to keep track of.

Maybe I'm being overly cynical but I think this is a really crappy trend. And I don't mind stuff like Patreon, especially not for bonus shows, but this is the equivalent of, I dunno, Rusty Quill going through all of TMA and then saying "there'll be a season 6 but it's going behind a paywall forever". It's not that I don't get it or that they haven't earned a payday, but I still think it sucks.

Edit: It's the same thing as video streaming service fatigue which I'm also getting except it's even dumber, because I'm not saying an audio drama isn't crazy work but like, you're paying, I dunno, 2/3 of a Netflix subscription for a drat podcast network with way less content on it and it's all audio.

Edit 2: Also TBS has gone full Limetown. They had a hit podcast that was such a hit they're trying to create a full media empire out of it and the original podcast at best feels ancillary to these new pursuits and at worst doesn't exist anymore.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 10, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I understand wanting to get paid for your work but I'm absolutely not going to pay for a podcast subscription. I wouldn't be opposed to just buying the season for a flat cost but I absolutely will not pay $8/mo for a podcast

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
While the cost seems a bit high, I wouldn’t mind paying for podcasts, I already donate or Patreon to the ones I really value anyway. What I mind is listening to them through some new lovely app - make your poo poo work with Pocket Casts or no deal.

Part of this is just that podcasts are built on an open standard, RSS, and the web is already way too proprietary. The last thing we need is to make podcasts into another drat closed ecosystem.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 10, 2019

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

There’s a lot of VC money going toward consolidation and exclusivity, expect it to become the new standard.

It was really something that Gimlet paved the way for, and Homecoming wasn’t even very good!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It takes a certain kind of delusion to say "you know how well radio is doing these days? well what if it was only marketed to internet nerds, and you needed to pay for it" and expect anyone but the most desperate to go along.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

It takes a certain kind of delusion to say "you know how well radio is doing these days? well what if it was only marketed to internet nerds, and you needed to pay for it" and expect anyone but the most desperate to go along.
Don't underestimate how desperate for cash any artist, even a bad radio play artist, is.

It's not sustainable at all but venture capital is all about inflating new bubbles to see what doesn't pop. They might make a mess of the podcasting landscape but by the time it all collapses the money folks will be long gone and anyone with investment in the medium will be left to pick up the pieces.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

I understand wanting to get paid for your work but I'm absolutely not going to pay for a podcast subscription. I wouldn't be opposed to just buying the season for a flat cost but I absolutely will not pay $8/mo for a podcast

This too. Make me buy a season, poo poo, but everything about the current setup is a massive pain in the rear end and I cannot properly verbalize how much I hate the fact that that's where it's going.

Edit: I give 8/month to my favorite podcast. Why? Because it's a Patreon and the bonus material is worth it to me, not because they strongarmed it out of me.

Also I love how Lauren Shippen says in that article that "TBS will always be free" as if that helps. It's like, no poo poo dumbass, but for one TBS is over, and for another even if it wasn't, it would turn into mediocre poo poo because all your efforts will go into the paid stuff. See also: Limetown.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 10, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, as a Patreon subscriber I got access to tomorrow's Magnus ep early. Suffice it to say I horribly dread where this is now going.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Welp, as a Patreon subscriber I got access to tomorrow's Magnus ep early. Suffice it to say I horribly dread where this is now going.

From a worry for the characters standpoint or a quality of the show standpoint?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

From a worry for the characters standpoint or a quality of the show standpoint?

the former. it's good.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
This season of TMA is unbelievable.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'm generally up on TMA but I don't care for the metaplot at all and it takes up more and more of the more and more infrequent MotW episodes

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm generally up on TMA but I don't care for the metaplot at all and it takes up more and more of the more and more infrequent MotW episodes

Same. I feel we're in the minority but I think the metaplot sucks pretty bad (vis a vis my tastes, I recognize it's well executed) and the podcast has gone from my favorite, and absolutely must listen, to probably just top 5.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Now that the episode is out, I can say my dread is because they have touched upon MY personal fear as my post history in other subforums can attest.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I started The White Vault today because Martin told me to before this week's Magnus. Has anyone listened to it? I haven't followed the thread lately to see if its been discussed. It seems okay so far but I don't like their "security" guy's acting very much, and the sound effects make some things hard to hear, but I'm genuinely curious where it's going. It has a modern "At the Mountains of Madness" vibe to it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It's good. That one guy never manages to bring his acting beyond the level of "sleepy Clint Eastwood" and I didn't find it particularly scary, but I enjoyed it.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Shame that some aren't enjoying the TMA metaplot, as I think the metaplot has led to some really great character moments.

Although I think the primary plot itself isn't that great, how the plot has an impact on the ongoing characters I think is fantastic.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 12, 2019

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Shame that some aren't enjoying the TMA metaplot, as I think the metaplot has led to some really great character moments.

Although I think the primary plot itself isn't that great, how the plot has an impact on the ongoing characters I think is fantastic.

TMA can do no wrong for me. I'm enjoying every second of it. The acting on the new guy leaves something to be desired, though..

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I started The White Vault today because Martin told me to before this week's Magnus. Has anyone listened to it? I haven't followed the thread lately to see if its been discussed. It seems okay so far but I don't like their "security" guy's acting very much, and the sound effects make some things hard to hear, but I'm genuinely curious where it's going. It has a modern "At the Mountains of Madness" vibe to it.

I don't mind it. The NoSleep guy is a bit of a bummer but the rest of the cast is pretty decent.

I started Station Blue because someone pitched it on one of these podcasts and it's a thing. I'm almost done with season 1 and for me it's more bad than good. But I'll wait to see if it's just a rough start or going to continue being bad.

I wish the Mars Corp/Bunker guys would put out more of something I enjoyed both of those. They're producing The Monster Hunters now which is okay but not as good as those other two

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The NoSleep guy has really, really improved since he started doing the NoSleep podcasts. Go back and listen to the first few hours of his narrating those- he was terrible.

Overall I really like the white vault, and I'm really looking forward to season three. One question regarding late season two, did anybody else get the impression that the anomalously large lampreys they find and cook in the cave were meant to be the juvenile form of the monster?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

The NoSleep guy has really, really improved since he started doing the NoSleep podcasts. Go back and listen to the first few hours of his narrating those- he was terrible.

Overall I really like the white vault, and I'm really looking forward to season three. One question regarding late season two, did anybody else get the impression that the anomalously large lampreys they find and cook in the cave were meant to be the juvenile form of the monster?

No, my take was the Icelandic guy is being turned into one of the monsters. c.f. the way he complains about still being hungry no matter how many lampreys he eats.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

New Leaf posted:

TMA can do no wrong for me. I'm enjoying every second of it. The acting on the new guy leaves something to be desired, though..

I'm in the same boat. I have loved all of it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I'm in the same boat. I have loved all of it.

Same.

I'm even okay with Peter Lucas's stilted delivery, since I think it kinda fits with the character.

I recently relistened to some earlier episodes though, and it's amazing how far Jonny Sims has came as a narrator though.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

cptn_dr posted:

Same.

I'm even okay with Peter Lucas's stilted delivery, since I think it kinda fits with the character.

I recently relistened to some earlier episodes though, and it's amazing how far Jonny Sims has came as a narrator though.

I started the series from episode 1 while waiting for this season to start. The season 3 climax calls back to the angler fish from the very first episode and being aware of some of the tertiary characters early on makes their small appearances a lot more meaningful.

However, I swear that he mistakenly calls Gerard “Jared” multiple times through the series, and having Mike and Michael existing as distinct characters was vexing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I think the Gerard/Jared thing is Jonny's accent occasionally swallowing the second R rather than him using the wrong name.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, in a lot of Commonwealth countries Gerard is usually pronounced "Jerred" rather than rhyming with "hard".

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

cptn_dr posted:

Same.

Yeah, I'm modestly sure it's intentional - "inappropriately peppy but weirdly affectless" sounds like a specific note

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

New Leaf posted:

I love it. The No Sleep dude is kind of grating at first because he's just not as good as the rest of the cast, but eventually he grows in to the part and ceases to be irritating.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i have a really hard time keeping the supporting cast straight but TMA has been very good

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

New Leaf posted:

The moment they said "intellectual horror fiction" I felt my skin crawl. Is it less pretentious and up itself as that genre makes me think it might be?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s a radio play

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
TWV is good and creepy.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Montalvo posted:

The moment they said "intellectual horror fiction" I felt my skin crawl. Is it less pretentious and up itself as that genre makes me think it might be?

Other than one guy's less than stellar acting, it's really not all that different than Magnus in terms of acting. The story is compelling and the sound quality and pacing are solid so far (on episode 7). If you like Magnus I'd say it's an absolute listen. And if you hate it you're not losing anything other than a few minutes of your time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Speaking if White Vault is anyone a Patron? They have a Patreon exclusive side series and I'm wondering if it's worth listening to

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Montalvo posted:

It's not up its rear end. By that the writer means "i have only one native Anglophone character", "i put a lot of effort into making a fake creepy society" and "i really like mouth of madness"

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

New Leaf posted:

Other than one guy's less than stellar acting

I thought of him as being "Clint-Eastwood-Canadian" and it got a little better. But not much. The insane thing to me is there's an interview with him after season one. Iguessthats... Just... Howhe... Tallllllllks. It's maddening!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ratatozsk posted:

I started the series from episode 1 while waiting for this season to start. The season 3 climax calls back to the angler fish from the very first episode and being aware of some of the tertiary characters early on makes their small appearances a lot more meaningful.

See IMO that makes it less creepy. EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED WOOOOO makes the whole thing that much less scary.

TMA is absolutely stellar quality but I enjoy it so much less now than I used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

See IMO that makes it less creepy. EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED WOOOOO makes the whole thing that much less scary.

TMA is absolutely stellar quality but I enjoy it so much less now than I used to.

See, I never understand this argument. You guys think dozens of completely disconnected incidents are more interesting than a vast interconnected cabal of forces seeking the destruction of the world that the overwhelming majority of the populace is oblivious to? Because the first seems like most could be the ramblings of crazy people..