Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

I thought it said right in the thing you quoted that they wouldn't engage with him anymore.

Yeah ongoing discussion about GMS (read from here) clear into the beginning of this year suggests it's not entirely clear whether he's still being given work or not, and there doesn't seem to have been much clarity on that since.

It may be the case that he's out, but nobody seems to know for 100% sure. Probably we won't know for another year or two and consistently see no more credits for him under his real name or possibly a pen name on any Modiphius products, given how slow the typical product development lifecycle is for this industry.

My best guess is that given GMS is hinting he's maybe getting "hollywood" money for work on some TV show or movie or something, and given the Chris Burch having gotten burned on this recently, GMS either won't get any more work at Modiphius for real, or he'll work exclusively under an unknown pen name or without credit and we'll never know. Probably the former but a certain amount of tinfoil hat types will infer the latter, given how fishy Chris's official story sounds.

Also, at the most, he was asked to do like 2000 words of sidebars for a specific product, and less than that on a couple others. It's small potatoes. The issue is the kinda fishy story, not really that GMS has somehow badly tainted the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Personally, I am not a fan of changing all three of number of dice, number of successes needed and target number on dice, but y'know, oWoD left some bad impressions that way.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

grassy gnoll posted:

Modphius is like five years behind on the Infinity kickstarter campaign, but that's literally all the original license holder's fault, because Corvus Belli is a bubbling clusterfuck even at the best of times.

This is one of the reasons I really like Modphius as a company. I backed for Infinity and they have always been very upfront about all the delays and what point each part of the Kickstarter is at on a very regular basis.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Does it have a section devoted to mustard?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Payndz posted:

Does it have a section devoted to mustard?
Heh. You think you're just going to get your mustard industry chops handed to you?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I give Modiphius a light side-eye for the Mutant Year Zero spin-off game about playing Bunker Fascists but that's more Free League making a questionable game in general.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Hostile V posted:

I give Modiphius a light side-eye for the Mutant Year Zero spin-off game about playing Bunker Fascists but that's more Free League making a questionable game in general.

Was it about bunker fascists? The cover art made it look like Unironic Paranoia.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

some loving LIAR posted:

Was it about bunker fascists? The cover art made it look like Unironic Paranoia.

I didn't end up backing it, but yeah, you were playing an arm of the law enforcement of the bunker fascist government. I think most of the game was meant to be set when the bunker was first opening to the world and tough decisions needed to be made on how to interact with what you find, but you certainly start as a bunker fascist.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I feel like "Burning Wheel" is a better descriptor for discussions around the game than a descriptor for the game itself.

That one wheel that contractually rolls out of every wagon wreck on fire, just to show how bad it is. Meanwhile those riding in the cart will insist nothing at all is wrong and that is the Only Clear Way to express how the cart works.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Glazius posted:

But "an editor could maybe have tightened this up a little bit" is not a howling game design sin on the level of "created a system where the DM never tells you the difficulty, just reacts to what you've rolled, and also you have to hurt yourself before the roll to make your roll better".
"something else is worse" is not a counterargument for "thing is bad", dude. A record-breaking forest fire elsewhere in my state doesn't mean the grease fire in my kitchen doesn't matter.

Alaois posted:

who ta fook is Luke Crane
Dude who when repeatedly asked "what, exactly, are we going to get if we pledge to your kickstarter" just roleplayed as a cryptic wizard at them instead of giving a straight answer to potential customers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

I mean, MERP is literally a LotR game but it's not particularly well-designed. TOR emphasizes the things I like and want from a LotR game and makes them not a hassle.

MERP is fine as far as the rules themselves go. The part that fell flat was marrying those rules and its love of combat to the setting of LOTR.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Zereth posted:

Dude who when repeatedly asked "what, exactly, are we going to get if we pledge to your kickstarter" just roleplayed as a cryptic wizard at them instead of giving a straight answer to potential customers.
Yeah, he clearly isn't interested in treating Burning Wheel as a consumer product. Lots of people trust him to provide a good product and are happy to back him sight unseen. And for people who don't trust him to provide a good product, he clearly said "maybe this Kickstarter isn't for you". That particular message wasn't even a little bit unclear - it just wasn't what those people wanted to hear. There were some unclear things in that Kickstarter, but the response to people asking for clarity was itself perfectly clear: if you aren't sure that the product is for you, reconsider your pledge.

Which is actually really good advice! If you are on the fence about any gaming Kickstarter, just wait for it to hit retail and then you can look at it in person and make a decision then.

People are so used to Kickstarter creators shilling their product to any lengths that they actually think it's rude for the creator to say "if you aren't sure, don't back it."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
That's certainly a read one could make of Luke Crane's communication problems.

Or he could just actually be an rear end in a top hat. Which he is.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, he clearly isn't interested in treating Burning Wheel as a consumer product. Lots of people trust him to provide a good product and are happy to back him sight unseen. And for people who don't trust him to provide a good product, he clearly said "maybe this Kickstarter isn't for you". That particular message wasn't even a little bit unclear - it just wasn't what those people wanted to hear. There were some unclear things in that Kickstarter, but the response to people asking for clarity was itself perfectly clear: if you aren't sure that the product is for you, reconsider your pledge.

Which is actually really good advice! If you are on the fence about any gaming Kickstarter, just wait for it to hit retail and then you can look at it in person and make a decision then.

People are so used to Kickstarter creators shilling their product to any lengths that they actually think it's rude for the creator to say "if you aren't sure, don't back it."

I sure am glad that the Avatar of Deliberately Obtuse Communication is somehow also The Guy In Charge Of Games On Kickstarter.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

"Normal" and "black" are the least.

Put normal, supernatural, and heroic in order, least to greatest.

Now, put black, white, and grey in order, least to greatest.

Nobody's going to put grey after white. But is heroic greater than supernatural, or vice versa?

I think it's clear the actual words to use here are normal, supernatural, and superdupernatural.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

I'm at a loss as to what exactly about this guy's writing inspires this level of 'no, the customer is clearly wrong' defense.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Also didn't this really only become more than an annoyance but A Thing because someone who was totally willing to buy-in, but had some questions, and then still wasn't clear on the answer asked for clarification, got more wizard bullshit, complained on Twitter, and then was unceremoniously refunded their pledge and kicked out the door? And then Crane bragged about how cool he was for doing so?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm at a loss as to what exactly about this guy's writing inspires this level of 'no, the customer is clearly wrong' defense.

He doesn't want it to be like that. He doesn't want to be the server who explains the specials and answers any question you may have about the food or its preparation. I think he wants it to be more like a meal in his house where you chip in for the food bill. If you come to a meal in my house and start asking the kinds of questions you would ask at a restaurant with a "customer is always right" attitude, I might reply "hey, maybe you'd prefer to be at a restaurant right now." If you want something he's not selling, then go find someone who is selling what you want.

Now you can say that his desires are unrealistic and that anyone who wants to earn money for their creation should just expect find themselves doing customer service for the lowest common denominator of consumer culture (or be wealthy enough to hire someone else to do it), but I don't think it makes him an rear end in a top hat to want things to be different. I don't think it's wrong to try to question or even undermine some of the assumptions that underlie the way things currently are at Kickstarter. And I think Luke Crane probably knows an awful lot more than you or I about the way things are at Kickstarter.

Edit: Yeah, refunding the pledge of someone who is annoying him is absolutely in line with what I outlined above. If you are going to complain on twitter about the transaction you enter into with another party, that other party might cancel the transaction. If Luke Crane complained on Twitter about a particular backer, would that backer be an rear end in a top hat if they cancelled their pledge?

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 13, 2019

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
no no guys it's okay to be an obtuse rear end in a top hat, because that's what he is trying to be

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

MollyMetroid posted:

no no guys it's okay to be an obtuse rear end in a top hat, because that's what he is trying to be

Won't someone please think of the gatekeepers?!?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Nobody is saying he has to accommodate other people’s preferences, but those people absolutely get to judge him for not doing it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I think there are some fundamental aspects to selling something that you can't "You're paying for ~the experience~" out of doing without, yes, absolutely being a condemnable rear end, and you can gently caress right off with "so you want sellers to be slaves to their customers!?!" horseshit.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

MollyMetroid posted:

I mean, it's better than doing it by accident like you're doing right now.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Jimbozig posted:

I mean, it's better than doing it by accident like you're doing right now.

gently caress, you're incapable of seeing the bad in anyone, aren't you
its a wonder you've reached adulthood in this world

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

MollyMetroid posted:

gently caress, you're incapable of seeing the bad in anyone, aren't you
its a wonder you've reached adulthood in this world

Hell, that's actually pretty loving perceptive! You're drat right. I don't think having flaws or lacking skills makes a person an rear end in a top hat. Even social skills. My real life friends are mostly people who don't get along well with most people. I look past their flaws and see the good in them that others miss. None of them are bad people. They are good people who often come across as negative and sarcastic and sometimes a bit rude.

Luke Crane never ran off with anyone's money like GMS. Luke Crane never sexually harassed or assaulted anyone like the laundry list of creeps and shitheads we talk about here. There are plenty of terrible people in the industry. As far as I've ever heard, Luke Crane is a good person with some weird foibles that annoy some people. Now if tomorrow I hear that he's a sex pest or that he scammed anyone or that he is abusive, then I'll absolutely eat my words.

And also, you're right that sometimes I do give people the benefit of the doubt for too long and I end up regreting it. I've been scammed to the tune of hundreds of dollars. I've defended people and then had to apologize for defending them. My willingness to look past flaws sometimes goes too far. That's absolutely a problem I have. I want to improve on that, but it's often hard to do online when there is so much hyperbole and even mild affronts like poor customer service can lead to disproportionate denunciations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Luke Crane being a good person has absolutely nothing to do with him being a terrible communicator who actively chooses to be an rear end in a top hat to people who want to buy his products if they inconvenience him by asking questions about them.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Jimbozig posted:

Hell, that's actually pretty loving perceptive! You're drat right. I don't think having flaws or lacking skills makes a person an rear end in a top hat. Even social skills. My real life friends are mostly people who don't get along well with most people. I look past their flaws and see the good in them that others miss. None of them are bad people. They are good people who often come across as negative and sarcastic and sometimes a bit rude.

Luke Crane never ran off with anyone's money like GMS. Luke Crane never sexually harassed or assaulted anyone like the laundry list of creeps and shitheads we talk about here. There are plenty of terrible people in the industry. As far as I've ever heard, Luke Crane is a good person with some weird foibles that annoy some people. Now if tomorrow I hear that he's a sex pest or that he scammed anyone or that he is abusive, then I'll absolutely eat my words.

And also, you're right that sometimes I do give people the benefit of the doubt for too long and I end up regreting it. I've been scammed to the tune of hundreds of dollars. I've defended people and then had to apologize for defending them. My willingness to look past flaws sometimes goes too far. That's absolutely a problem I have. I want to improve on that, but it's often hard to do online when there is so much hyperbole and even mild affronts like poor customer service can lead to disproportionate denunciations.

I'm calling you a loving naive dipshit intentionally is what I'm saying

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Sure but if the point is just that Luke is an rear end in a top hat in the same sense that you're an rear end in a top hat and I'm an rear end in a top hat and half the people on these forums are assholes, then why is it even worth mentioning?

I mean yeah, he's an rear end in a top hat if that's all you mean by it. An rear end in a top hat in the very mild sense. The kind of assholishness that is more provocative than hurtful. rear end in a top hat is one of those extremely imprecise words because we would also call GMS or Holden an rear end in a top hat and mean something very very different by it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jimbozig posted:

Sure but if the point is just that Luke is an rear end in a top hat in the same sense that you're an rear end in a top hat and I'm an rear end in a top hat and half the people on these forums are assholes, then why is it even worth mentioning?

I mean yeah, he's an rear end in a top hat if that's all you mean by it. An rear end in a top hat in the very mild sense. The kind of assholishness that is more provocative than hurtful. rear end in a top hat is one of those extremely imprecise words because we would also call GMS or Holden an rear end in a top hat and mean something very very different by it.

This is creeping into "and yet you live in society" territory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jimbozig posted:

I get the feeling that if the dude had just gone (OOC: It's gonna be an RPG book, about 250 pages, hardcover, physical edition only) in the course of being a whimsical wizard nobody would've minded. Dudes at renfest usually signal pretty clearly the actual quantifiable or actionable details even if they fest-speak it up.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yep. Refusing to break character online, as in not even in a performance environment like a renfaire, when the result is costing yourself sales is exceptionally dumb, even for dumb things authors in the TG space do.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

That Old Tree posted:

This is creeping into "and yet you live in society" territory.

"I really just wish he'd communicate more clearly."
"And yet you still attempt to grasp the quantum unknowable. Reaching out towards that distant star like a moth, forever longing for that which you cannot have. I find this conundrum most intriguing."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm starting to suspect he flat out doesn't know how to stop.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I know gently caress-all about Luke Crane, but this thread has convinced me to imagine him as the secret love child of Gary Gygax and Ed Greenwood, who responds to any questions by swiftly putting on a pointy hat and expounding at length on his intricate knowledge of secrets most arcane. DARE YOU ENTER HIS MAGICAL REALM?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The existence of someone worse out there you can point to doesn't somehow mean that a less-bad person can't still be a dipshit. Once again, people are capable of disliking more than one thing at a time. I can think Zak S is a rapey abusive rear end in a top hat who should take a long walk into a trash compactor while also thinking that Luke Crane's Wizard of Words schtick is exceedingly dumb and pretentious, and that nothing I've ever heard anyone say about the Burning Wheel makes it sound half as clever as he imagines it to be.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Burning Wheel's very good, imo. If any of y'all were serious about "games as art" you wouldn't be so ardently consumerist about this whole demanding to speak to luke crane's manager thing. I'm sure you'll find another D&D-alike if it messes with you that bad.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Impermanent posted:

Burning Wheel's very good, imo. If any of y'all were serious about "games as art" you wouldn't be so ardently consumerist about this whole demanding to speak to luke crane's manager thing. I'm sure you'll find another D&D-alike if it messes with you that bad.

oh gently caress off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

come on this is just whataboutism

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

The existence of someone worse out there you can point to doesn't somehow mean that a less-bad person can't still be a dipshit. Once again, people are capable of disliking more than one thing at a time. I can think Zak S is a rapey abusive rear end in a top hat who should take a long walk into a trash compactor while also thinking that Luke Crane's Wizard of Words schtick is exceedingly dumb and pretentious, and that nothing I've ever heard anyone say about the Burning Wheel makes it sound half as clever as he imagines it to be.
Yeah, again: A record-breaking wildfire elsewhere the state doesn't mean the grease fire in your kitchen doesn't matter.

I wonder what this year's record-breaking california wildfire is going to be

That Old Tree posted:

Also didn't this really only become more than an annoyance but A Thing because someone who was totally willing to buy-in, but had some questions, and then still wasn't clear on the answer asked for clarification, got more wizard bullshit, complained on Twitter, and then was unceremoniously refunded their pledge and kicked out the door? And then Crane bragged about how cool he was for doing so?
yep. dude just gave somebody their money back and kicked them out rather than explain what he's selling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

Yeah, again: A record-breaking wildfire elsewhere the state doesn't mean the grease fire in your kitchen doesn't matter.

I wonder what this year's record-breaking california wildfire is going to be

It isn't even a fire of any kind, analogous or otherwise. It's literally just people saying "Luke Crane is a pretentious blowhard whose magnum opus uses a bunch of weird jargon to describe perfectly bog standard concepts" and if this was said about any other RPG designer or any other game it would barely even be worth arguing about but somehow saying this about Luke Crane is like firing off the starter pistol at a Dumb Takes triathlon.