Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Mu Zeta posted:

They glue things together to force you to upgrade instead of fixing stuff.

It doesn't really force you to upgrade because even out of AppleCare you can get a replacement top case (battery/keyboard/trackpad/etc) for $200, which is nothing compared to upgrading if you're content w/ your older laptop other than a battery with high cycle count. In the meantime any warranty replacements they do for a single top case component requires replacing everything, which on the surface seems like a waste on their part. However, I'm guessing they end up reusing any non-broken components in future top case replacements, rather than using only brand new parts. I'd also guess the glued battery means many more out of warranty people opt for the Apple battery replacement (as opposed to 3rd party) than would if the battery was easily removable. Gluing the battery probably helped them shave off some laptop thickness (and we all know how much Apple loves thin devices), as it gives them more flexibility on how to distribute the battery in the case, lets them use a thinner shell for the battery (doesn't need a hard plastic exterior as it isn't meant to be handled/removed) and doesn't require any mounts/clips for securing the battery in place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Splinter posted:

It doesn't really force you to upgrade because even out of AppleCare you can get a replacement top case (battery/keyboard/trackpad/etc) for $200, which is nothing compared to upgrading if you're content w/ your older laptop other than a battery with high cycle count. In the meantime any warranty replacements they do for a single top case component requires replacing everything, which on the surface seems like a waste on their part. However, I'm guessing they end up reusing any non-broken components in future top case replacements, rather than using only brand new parts. I'd also guess the glued battery means many more out of warranty people opt for the Apple battery replacement (as opposed to 3rd party) than would if the battery was easily removable. Gluing the battery probably helped them shave off some laptop thickness (and we all know how much Apple loves thin devices), as it gives them more flexibility on how to distribute the battery in the case, lets them use a thinner shell for the battery (doesn't need a hard plastic exterior as it isn't meant to be handled/removed) and doesn't require any mounts/clips for securing the battery in place.

Does anybody know if Apple replaces the entire topcase for a $199 out of warranty MBP battery replacement? That seems like a pretty reasonable price.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

They glue things together to force you to upgrade instead of fixing stuff.

this isn't true though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FCKGW posted:

this isn't true though
Nah the short angry YouTube guy said so.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Gay Retard posted:

Does anybody know if Apple replaces the entire topcase for a $199 out of warranty MBP battery replacement? That seems like a pretty reasonable price.

on my 2013, yes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FCKGW posted:

this isn't true though

It's one of the benefits then in addition to making it thinner

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Penisaurus Sex posted:

For what it's worth, I prefer the keyboard on the 2017 to the earlier generation.

I publish between 4-6000 words a week, and write probably twice that. The short throw of the 2017 doesn't bother me, and I prefer having an evenly weighted keyswitch to what I always felt were really mushy keys on the older hardware. I've also had no mechanical issues since August of 2017 when I bought it, but it also lives inside a laptop sleeve and only gets used on solid surfaces, not at weird angles or on clothing or fabric.

The downside of having an extra long keyboard replacement does suck quite a bit, but when you're relying on a piece of hardware to function in a professional capacity you need at least a few backups -- all of my stuff is stored in 3-4 cloud locations, with external SSDs archiving larger projects.

I write between 25k and 50k a week. I won’t buy the new machines keyboard. I’m looking at Swappa to grab a 2015 in June, and maybe an old Thinkpad I’ll throw Linux on. I’m seriously that much of a hater of the new design,

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I write 300k words a week and I think it's fine, actually.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It's a big enough issue that even Apple themselves are trying to address it.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm looking for a monitor to use at home, something that's as good or better than my old (but still great) Thunderbolt monitor at work. I'm doing design stuff but I don't need it to be professional level, it's just for occasional use. I found this that seems ok (IPS, 2560x1440), but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I know Viewsonic's been around a while but I don't know their reputation. Any opinions?

jackpot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 20, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jackpot posted:

I'm looking for a monitor to use at home, something that's as good or better than my old (but still great) Lightning monitor at work. I'm doing design stuff but I don't need it to be professional level, it's just for occasional use. I found this that seems ok (IPS, 2560x1440), but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I know Viewsonic's been around a while but I don't know their reputation. Any opinions?

Same resolution, same features(I think), same brand, bigger screen (32"), $45 cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746P6L45/

As far as Viewsonic, they are (or at least were) absolute workhorses. I had three of them for work and they lasted for 10 years with no washout or weirdness. I now work out of my home office and use an LG 29" Ultrawide (it's shorter than you'd think because the screen is so wide). But I am thinking about getting a bigger monitor with a higher vertical resolution and haven't decided whether to go UWHD or not. Thanks for kick-starting my brain to add stuff to the list to evaluate.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

What's the best desktop docking solution for an MBP?

I have a Ubuntu desktop hooked up to a 27" monitor through DP with a spare HDMI connection.

The obvious solution is to get a USB C dock with HDMI out and then a USB KVM for switching keyboard/mouse.

Anyone have a more elegant solution?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
My macbook pro randomly will input two letter "e"s when I am typing. I can not figure out why it is doing this. At first, I thought I just must be double tapping the button but that turned out to be wrong. I googled my problem and found what I thought would be the solution. I went into system preferences>keyboard and turned off key repeat. This did not fix the problem. Has anyone had this issue/does anyone know how to fix this? It's getting really annoying have to delete random Es all the time.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
That's definitely a hardware/keyboard issue. A crumb under the key can do that, and you can maybe get lucky by taking some air to it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Spacebump posted:

My macbook pro randomly will input two letter "e"s when I am typing. I can not figure out why it is doing this. At first, I thought I just must be double tapping the button but that turned out to be wrong. I googled my problem and found what I thought would be the solution. I went into system preferences>keyboard and turned off key repeat. This did not fix the problem. Has anyone had this issue/does anyone know how to fix this? It's getting really annoying have to delete random Es all the time.

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

It's nigh-impossible to fix this yourself, because Apple's "clever" butterfly design makes it inevitable that removing keycaps to clean under them will break the little struts that attach to them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Spacebump posted:

I've heard some people with this issue use Unshaky, an app that attempts to reduce the double presses somehow

https://github.com/aahung/Unshaky

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

my 2018 mbp is currently with apple getting the screen replaced (hairline crack in lcd), the keyboard replaced (broken spacebar) and the logic board replaced (won't wake from sleep when plugged into external monitor and closed). i'm not sure what i'm actually getting back that was already mine. the rubber feet on the bottom case?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Spacebump posted:

sorry dude but that one’s gonna require a trip to the fruit stand, sounds like a butterfly-related mishap if it’s a 2016 model or later.

the talent deficit posted:

my 2018 mbp is currently with apple getting the screen replaced (hairline crack in lcd), the keyboard replaced (broken spacebar) and the logic board replaced (won't wake from sleep when plugged into external monitor and closed). i'm not sure what i'm actually getting back that was already mine. the rubber feet on the bottom case?

ship of theseus/grandfather’s axe/the talent deficit’s macbook pro

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I appreciate the responses to my problem. Thanks y'all. I'm nowhere near an apple store for two weeks and can't get it taken care of before then. I popped off the key and found nothing. I still shot some air at it, but the problem remains. Frustrating that this issue exists. Looks like my finals are all about to have a lot of extra Es.

[oMa]Whackster
Sep 13, 2000
Forum Veteran
Not sure if this would be better in the old computer poo poo thread, but looking for a bit of help with an old Mac question:

My brother-in-law has managed to get his hands on a working PowerMac G5 (7,2) and has asked what the best way to get it on WiFi would be (no wireless preinstalled). Not quite sure what he’s planning on doing on a 15 year-old machine once he’s online, but the question is does anyone have a recommendation for a currently available USB wireless dongle that will work on this G5? I think it’ll take up to OSX 10.5.8.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In the "MAC IS loving US AGEAIN@@#!!@@!!" department:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/16/2018-macbook-air-400-nits-brighness-tech-specs/

Supposedly upgrading to macOS 10.14.4 will give the 2018 MacBook Air a BRIGHTER screen.

Applying the update will increase the maximum brightness from 300 nits to 400 nits.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's not a real before and after.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Best Buy has the current 12” MacBook down to $850. Open box at your local store can be had for cheaper too.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...p?skuId=4598800

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Best Buy has the current 12” MacBook down to $850. Open box at your local store can be had for cheaper too.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...p?skuId=4598800

Isn’t that M3 super slow though? It’s not a bad price I think if you get the edu coupon it takes another $150 off (or it used to).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

American McGay posted:

That's not a real before and after.

Oh now, I'm sure he's just that good at positioning his hand in space exactly the same way

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Came right offa the MacRumors forums, by website staff, even has a Patreon link. Blame them

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Best Buy has the base model 13” MacBook Pro for $899

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

drat! I’ll hold off because I’m getting some kind of MacBook with my new job, but even with an 8/128 it’s tempting.

Really though I’m gonna try the iOS life for a while. I’ve been hacking it on a 16 GB 1st Gen Air, so a 6th Gen should be somewhat of an improvement. I think I can do it without going too crazy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a new job and my trainer has a MacBook Pro that she specifically asked for, and got, because the company is actually pretty cool and accommodating to employee's wants/needs (plus she's been there for ten years). A lot of the software we use is Windows only, no big deal, she ruins a virtualized Windows instance while training, and macOS for everything else.

However, one reaaaaaaaly old accounting software we use needs the function keys.

"So we're gonna need to use your computer for this part, asecondduck, because *gestures at touchbar* my computer doesn't have an F5 key."

Me, not wanting to seem like a know-it-all rear end in a top hat: "Uhm, hmm. I wonder... what happens when you press that "Fn" key on the bottom left of your keyboard?"

The trainer: *surprised Pikachu face*

Not trying to make fun of her or anything, she's a good person, but maaaaaaaaan, I feel like if you're gonna ask your company to pay for a specific piece of hardware for you you should know/learn how to use it!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

asecondduck posted:

I have a new job and my trainer has a MacBook Pro that she specifically asked for, and got, because the company is actually pretty cool and accommodating to employee's wants/needs (plus she's been there for ten years). A lot of the software we use is Windows only, no big deal, she ruins a virtualized Windows instance while training, and macOS for everything else.

However, one reaaaaaaaly old accounting software we use needs the function keys.

"So we're gonna need to use your computer for this part, asecondduck, because *gestures at touchbar* my computer doesn't have an F5 key."

Me, not wanting to seem like a know-it-all rear end in a top hat: "Uhm, hmm. I wonder... what happens when you press that "Fn" key on the bottom left of your keyboard?"

The trainer: *surprised Pikachu face*

Not trying to make fun of her or anything, she's a good person, but maaaaaaaaan, I feel like if you're gonna ask your company to pay for a specific piece of hardware for you you should know/learn how to use it!

You can also set it up to always show function keys when certain applications are in focus,

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Any way to add the Delete Key to the touch bar? I use it a lot when editing in Premiere Pro and it's about the only annoying thing with the MacBook Pro 2018 keyboard (basically don't use the touch bar at all otherwise)

Obviously I could just map the Delete Key to another key combo...

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.

"[oMa posted:

Whackster" post="494286934"]
USB wireless dongle that will work on this G5?

I use one of these. Works great all the way down to 10.4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MTTJO...KXgzj6zVN9-g6wc

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

spookygonk posted:

Any way to add the Delete Key to the touch bar? I use it a lot when editing in Premiere Pro and it's about the only annoying thing with the MacBook Pro 2018 keyboard (basically don't use the touch bar at all otherwise)

BetterTouchTool? I think it does but never used the app so can’t say definitely so I’d check before paying for it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

You know it's fn+delete (backspace), right?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

tuyop posted:

You know it's fn+delete (backspace), right?

Of course I never looked that up.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

ltugo posted:

I use one of these. Works great all the way down to 10.4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MTTJO...KXgzj6zVN9-g6wc

Wouldn't happen to know of a decent one that works up to gigabit 802.11ac? The WiFi in my 2018 Mac Mini is utter dog poo poo and regularly bumps down to 6mbps despite a decent signal to noise ratio.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Tayter Swift posted:

Wouldn't happen to know of a decent one that works up to gigabit 802.11ac? The WiFi in my 2018 Mac Mini is utter dog poo poo and regularly bumps down to 6mbps despite a decent signal to noise ratio.

This is the ac version
https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-Adapter-Supports-MU-MIMO-EW-7822ULC/dp/B01MY7PL10/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ah, thanks much. Little dishonest of them to claim ac speeds when it's on USB2.0, but there are some 3.0 ones linked there as well. Thanks :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy has the base model 13” MacBook Pro for $899

Now the $1700 4 Thunderbolt port model is $1300...:eek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bob Morales posted:

Now the $1700 4 Thunderbolt port model is $1300...:eek:

do you think maybe they’re expecting a refresh in the summer and have more stock than they want right now?