Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

The deal is only on Amazon UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ah yeah, should have realised amazon.com just shows the dollar equivalent of whatever the price is in your country for digital goods like that.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Junkenstein posted:

Don't know if it's a limited time thing, but Schaeffer's latest (non Faustverse, new series) book out today is only £1/$1.32 on Kindle.

Bought and read, it was really enjoyable. It feels like he wanted a different take on Faust book one, with the lessons he learned while writing wisdom's grave.

It's not as strong as wisdom's grave yet, but it was really fun.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SystemLogoff posted:

Bought and read, it was really enjoyable. It feels like he wanted a different take on Faust book one, with the lessons he learned while writing wisdom's grave.

Ah cool, looking forward to it. Interestingly, he had the sequel written (because of loving course he did), but scrapped it all because it wasn't up to scratch (he's just started giving full progress updates on all his projects - http://craig-schaefer-v2.squarespace.com/#upcoming-releases)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Apparently Paul Cornell has another series I didn't know about, suburban fantasy

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog...PoFDs4JNTrEMcR0

edit: I read the first one, it's good. Same guy who did the London Falling series. Each book is just $4 on kindle.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 12, 2019

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

SystemLogoff posted:

I really enjoyed it as well. Especially that it was definitely longer than his other books so there was more time to develop the characters/environment. Of course, that didn't keep me from reading it in under 24 hours and immediately searching for when his next book was coming out.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
OK I read the whole Paul Cornell Witches of Lychford series

Trip report:

1) They're all pretty good

2) None of them are as good as London Falling was but, on the other hand,

3) they are blessedly not set in London, making them practically unique in urban fantasy

4) they're all novella length, only buy discounted

5) I can see why he shifted to this series because it's probably more marketable

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

OK I read the whole Paul Cornell Witches of Lychford series

Trip report:

1) They're all pretty good

2) None of them are as good as London Falling was but, on the other hand,

3) they are blessedly not set in London, making them practically unique in urban fantasy

4) they're all novella length, only buy discounted

5) I can see why he shifted to this series because it's probably more marketable

Is the third one good? I was put off by the Gaiman stuff in the second and never picked it up

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Is the third one good? I was put off by the Gaiman stuff in the second and never picked it up

ehhh. . . i liked it, but it's a bit gimmicky.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://external-preview.redd.it/_j...ddc3afdca90645f

couldnt help but make me think of dresden

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been enjoying this series: Ghosts & Magic by M. R. Forbes the past few days; you can get the whole thing in an omnibus on kindle unlimited and it's pretty decent by KU standards.
e: Now that I've finished it I think it gets sloppier as the series progresses, like the last book had a lot of proofreading errors that the earlier ones didn't for instance, and it starts leaning harder into "quirky" banter and sort of dated pop culture references, but I'm judging by KU standards so all of that was fairly minor once I'd hit that point and was invested in seeing how it ended.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 16, 2019

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Just read the new Stephen Blackmoore Eric Carter novel, Fire Season. As I've previously stated, I don't think any urban fantasy author writes LA better than him. Good stuff.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

I think his publisher didn't want to pick up another London Falling novel, IIRC (due to the bad sales). Kinda disappointing tbh

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009
That maniac Craig Schaefer excepted, contemporary fantasy releases have been a bit thin on the ground lately. As a good goon, I'm doing my part to remedy that. I'll be releasing my third contemporary fantasy novel, Dreamonologist in June. I've had this bad boy beta read by a handful of people, and its been edited by an excellent lady-goon, so now I'm just looking for some advance reviews. If the below interests you, then send me a pm and I'll drop you an E-ARC.

Julian Adler was London’s Dreamwalker, using magic and machine guns to put the city’s worst nightmares to rest – permanently. Now, his little girl has been taken, and he’s using every skill, every trick, and every contact he has to get her back.
After a mysterious letter appears, Julian has a vision of an artefact that can locate his daughter – a vision that also shows London sinking under a red tide of blood and vampires in less than two weeks! The race is on, and there are bounty hunters, secret societies, and escaped supernatural killers all after the same prize!
But Julian isn’t alone, there are powerful beings interested in him, and people willing to help – for a price. Some days, it just doesn’t pay to get out of bed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWFJQT2

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

SystemLogoff posted:

I personally thought it was his strongest book. That ending was a hell of a ride.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Ben_Aaronovitch/status/1122819876396175360

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

My expectations are low. This could be a great thing....adapting this kind of low effects magic wouldn't be that expensive, but the changes they made to Dresden we're the dumbest things, and they we're done for no reason.

Worst case: whiten the cast?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
If they don't bring Kobna in to play Peter, I'm going to have words.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

torgeaux posted:

My expectations are low. This could be a great thing....adapting this kind of low effects magic wouldn't be that expensive, but the changes they made to Dresden we're the dumbest things, and they we're done for no reason.

Worst case: whiten the cast?

I doubt that Aaronovitch would sign on if they were whitening it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I'm cautiously optimistic about both this and The Watch.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
Simon Pegg and Nick Frost somewhat mollify me, if they could convince Edgar Wright to go along with it would get me on board.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Saw a trailer for The Rook that didn't look immediately terrible, but I also didn't recognize any characters other than Myfanwy.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Aerdan posted:

If they don't bring Kobna in to play Peter, I'm going to have words.

The only issue with that is they'd have to abandon the whole 'young newly-minted copper' thing as he's 40.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

The only issue with that is they'd have to abandon the whole 'young newly-minted copper' thing as he's 40.

Yeah, it's not going to happen.

Thankfully, I am relatively certain UK has black actors besides him and Idris Elba.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Luckily whoever it is doesn't actually have to do all the voices.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

I doubt that Aaronovitch would sign on if they were whitening it.

Generally speaking, authors don't have a lot of control over the direction of adaptations of their work.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

My favourite example of that is Libertarian Ubermensch (in his own mind) Terry Goodkind, being really happy taking the money. Then getting super-salty about the changes they made to his precious work for the TV adaptation.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Deptfordx posted:

My favourite example of that is Libertarian Ubermensch (in his own mind) Terry Goodkind, being really happy taking the money. Then getting super-salty about the changes they made to his precious work for the TV adaptation.

Legend of the Seeker was a pretty loving amazing show, too. Cross-dressing Zeddicus Zorander gets in a slam poetry rap battle in the middle of the second season.

They turned one of the worst fantasy series ever written into the spiritual successor to Xena, Warrior Princess.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Legend of the Seeker was a pretty loving amazing show, too. Cross-dressing Zeddicus Zorander gets in a slam poetry rap battle in the middle of the second season.

They turned one of the worst fantasy series ever written into the spiritual successor to Xena, Warrior Princess.

I had ignored this series because I hate the source material, but now?

You have my attention.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm not going to lie, the first season is real loving plodding. But after a certain point, once it gets the initial BDSM lesbian bodyguards out of its system, it just starts to slip off the rails and gets weirder every episode, until you end up with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4JHso2QyXE

Bruce Spence was an inspired piece of casting.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 1, 2019

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'm not going to lie, the first season is real loving plodding. But after a certain point, once it gets the initial BDSM lesbian bodyguards out of its system, it just starts to slip off the rails and gets weirder every episode, until you end up with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4JHso2QyXE

Bruce Spence was an inspired piece of casting.

I think having Richard be like 5'2" was amazing too. Compared to Kahlan he was short, but compared to Zedd he was loving tiny. They had to be messing with Goodkind with that casting.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
For authors and adaptations it tends to be either "here is a big pile of cash and the door is over there" or "here is not much cash but you get to have an input and a share of the profits". US adaptations tend to go with the former option as producers are control freaks who think they knew best.

Not that authors are much better some times, see 50 Shades of Exrament

gerg_861
Jan 2, 2009

Dilber posted:

I personally thought it was his strongest book. That ending was a hell of a ride.

Agreed. I loved the subversion of expectations in the ending. 100% recommend.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

gerg_861 posted:

Agreed. I loved the subversion of expectations in the ending. 100% recommend.

Subverting expectations really his strength and why I enjoy him more than most other authors in the space. His settings, characters, and worldbuilding is very different. He has strong female characters. His characters are flawed and don’t make objectively good decisions but ones in self-interest or group-interest (which in some cases turn out “good”). The twists are different enough that you can’t see all of them coming but they are also telegraphed enough in retrospect that they don’t see like complete bullshit.

His work is pulpy and definitely has its flaws but Lionel felt more like a complete character in one book than most people did in Dresden in 5 books.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Did anyone get a copy of October Man? The Rivers novella in Germany? I didn't even know it was out, and it's sold out on Amazon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

torgeaux posted:

Did anyone get a copy of October Man? The Rivers novella in Germany? I didn't even know it was out, and it's sold out on Amazon.

I ordered one from the publisher. It hasn't been released yet.

Edit: Actually SubPress isn't doing a trade edition, so Amazon has likely never had the book listed as available. I'd expect Ben's regular publisher to release a trade edition in six to twelve months.

Or you can import the Gollancz edition, which is out next month.

Edit2: The Gollancz edition seems to be available on Amazon.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 9, 2019

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ornamented Death posted:

I ordered one from the publisher. It hasn't been released yet.

Edit: Actually SubPress isn't doing a trade edition, so Amazon has likely never had the book listed as available. I'd expect Ben's regular publisher to release a trade edition in six to twelve months.

Or you can import the Gollancz edition, which is out next month.

Edit2: The Gollancz edition seems to be available on Amazon.

I have no idea what any of this means. One edition is listed as out of stock on Amazon, and another lists as release date as 31 May, kindle and hardcover.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

torgeaux posted:

I have no idea what any of this means. One edition is listed as out of stock on Amazon, and another lists as release date as 31 May, kindle and hardcover.

Subterranean Press, an American small press, is releasing the first edition this month, with a limitation of 2500 signed and numbered and 26 signed and lettered copies. Amazon has a product page because SubPress gets ISBNs for all of their books, but due to the limitation, Amazon has likely never actually had this edition available to preorder.

Gollancz, Ben's UK publisher, is releasing the book in the UK next month and Amazon US is ostensibly allowing preorders of it. It's a standard release in hardcover, not a limited edition. I saw ostensibly here because Amazon US has offered Gollancz editions before, but my orders have always been canceled, so ordering this edition from Amazon US is a shot in the dark.

SubPress is also releasing the ebook in the US, but for whatever reason it's listed along with the Gollancz edition.

If you want a physical copy soonish, you can either order the limited edition from Subterranean Press or get a hold of the Gollancz edition somehow (I recommend Book Depository).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ornamented Death posted:

Subterranean Press, an American small press, is releasing the first edition this month, with a limitation of 2500 signed and numbered and 26 signed and lettered copies. Amazon has a product page because SubPress gets ISBNs for all of their books, but due to the limitation, Amazon has likely never actually had this edition available to preorder.

Gollancz, Ben's UK publisher, is releasing the book in the UK next month and Amazon US is ostensibly allowing preorders of it. It's a standard release in hardcover, not a limited edition. I saw ostensibly here because Amazon US has offered Gollancz editions before, but my orders have always been canceled, so ordering this edition from Amazon US is a shot in the dark.

SubPress is also releasing the ebook in the US, but for whatever reason it's listed along with the Gollancz edition.

If you want a physical copy soonish, you can either order the limited edition from Subterranean Press or get a hold of the Gollancz edition somehow (I recommend Book Depository).

It's interesting that October Man is set in Germany. I remember Aaronovitch saying that his books sold better in Germany than in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ornamented Death posted:

I had figured you meant subterranean press, but had no idea what Gollancz was. I haven't bought any of the Subterranean press editions of Aaronovitch's works, so seeing the 31 May date was good.