Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

When did the WWE start using the term WWE Universe, and did they immediately switch every single reference to the crowd/fans or did that happen gradually

it was gradual at first they introduced the universal title and then they stopped saying the crowd and the audience and the viewers and started saying the universe.

Does this mean technically the Universal champion is the People's champion since the universe to wwe are the people watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't know the answer to the original question, but they were referring to fans exclusively as the WWE Universe years before there was a Universal title.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Looks like late 2008

e. their web site's community platform changed from WWE Fan Nation to WWE Universe in October 2008. Not sure if they started pushing that on tv immediately or some time later.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 12, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They tried to trademark WWE fan nation, if memory serves, and they failed. I think they were gonna' go with WWE Nation at some point before settling on WWE universe.

But Dave's said Vince absolutely loathes the word "fan."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No no no, Vince hates the fans.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Calling them the Universe is way better than hearing Cole yell about THE NATION every week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's a stupid loving term because it sounds like you're referring not to the crowd, but to the fiction of WWE.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not Tom Magee vs Bret Hart but have Tom Magee vs Riki Choshu in All Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9-gF9xbHg

Watch as Tom looks green as hell but does one or two spots that make you go "Maybe he could of been big"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Bix posted a Magee/Arn match that aired in France over on Deadspin and Magee was absolutely awful at selling, even at selling his own moves as being impactful, but he could definitely be carried by a Hart/Anderson/Choshu level guy. Not that that's saying much, I could probably have a 3 star match with an in-his-prime Bret Hart.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Not Tom Magee vs Bret Hart but have Tom Magee vs Riki Choshu in All Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9-gF9xbHg

Watch as Tom looks green as hell but does one or two spots that make you go "Maybe he could of been big"

the failed kip up into the fall into the ropes at about 4 minutes is incredible

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Magee always just seems so self conscious about his movements. Selling, running the ropes, etc.

It’s like he’s constantly thinking “oh no am I doing this right?” and psyching himself out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Magee always just seems so self conscious about his movements. Selling, running the ropes, etc.

It’s like he’s constantly thinking “oh no am I doing this right?” and psyching himself out.

That was the first thing I thought about him when I first watched his matches years back. He's so uncomfortable in the ring.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Also, some people just never learn timing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gaz-L posted:

Not that that's saying much, I could probably have a 3 star match with an in-his-prime Bret Hart.

One of the only wrestling dreams I've ever had involved me in a tag match against HBK and HHH, and everything was going great till I realized (even in the dream) that HBK was carrying my dumb rear end to a passable match, and then he got pissed off with me and tagged in HHH to beat my rear end :smith:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would never let anyone hurt you.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

His tumble and kip up from the backdrop was pretty great though and I could see how a spot like that in the 80's would make Vince and Baba go crazy, but than when Riki hit the lariat his sell job was like :effort: and I was like that's not how you sell a lariat from Choshu especially if you are kicking out

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

One of the only wrestling dreams I've ever had involved me in a tag match against HBK and HHH, and everything was going great till I realized (even in the dream) that HBK was carrying my dumb rear end to a passable match, and then he got pissed off with me and tagged in HHH to beat my rear end :smith:
That's an awesome wrestling dream.

I had a very similar one where I was programmed against Christian at Bound for Glory 2006 and I hadn't trained a single day in my life and I was freaking out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i had a dream i went on a disney style log flume ride with julius smokes and homicide and it was real fun

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i had a dream i hadn't made it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I have a dream sometimes where i'm an xpac or a virgil or whatever.

Like, I'm visiting the locker room at a show but there's almost nobody I recognize and they keep trying to kick me out and I have to keep yelling that I wrestled randy savage once and I tagged with scott hall so these guys can't kick me out because I was around in the old days and who'd they ever beat anyway?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Who's the worst promo in New Japan?

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Cavauro posted:

i had a dream i hadn't made it.

Don’t worry cavauro. There’s nothing dragging down you now :unsmith:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

My only wrestling dream was in like 2011 or something. Me, Zack Ryder, and Cody Rhodes were on a like 50 hour roadtrip to Wrestlemania, then when we got there Cody pulled out a gun and shot me and Ryder. The end.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

Yoshi Hashi?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

forkboy84 posted:

Yoshi Hashi?

I love tacos promos tbh

Each one is like a new Jeff Farmer

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
As of a few weeks ago I would've said Michael Elgin but yeah right now it's probably Yoshi-Hashi. I don't think I've ever watched any of his translated backstage comments and remembered anything he said beyond "I lost and I'm going to try harder, even though I'll probably lose a bunch more."

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Low Desert Punk posted:

DBS? I generally don't mind him as a wrestler and as a part of KES, but very much hate his "silence is golden, duct tape is silver" line because it makes no sense and he always comes off like he's trying to be much cooler than he is in those promos.

Elgin would have easily taken #1 if he was still around. His poo poo was always so bland and trying to force that he was this pure babyface who just wanted to win and succeed, but he's a trash person so it was especially grating.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I would say Tomoaki Honma, only because his voice is so shot that, like watching him wrestling, I have a visceral reaction and have to look away.

Otherwise, when DBS Jr. cuts promos with Killer Elite Squad, he does the same shtick as Archer, but with way worse delivery, which is a sign he is a bad promo.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Saw Jake Atlas for the first time in the Orange Cassidy thing and he was good! What other great stuff from him can I see for free?

Also it doesn't matter but it's bothering me not to know: Is he Filipino?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Saw Jake Atlas for the first time in the Orange Cassidy thing and he was good! What other great stuff from him can I see for free?

He also worked a scramble that weekend for ISW if you bought the collective

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

quote:

Otherwise, when DBS Jr. cuts promos with Killer Elite Squad, he does the same shtick as Archer, but with way worse delivery, which is a sign he is a bad promo.

Archer cuts promos like an 80s pissed-off gaijin heel, which works great for his character. Then DBS cuts promos like a generic modern-day heel, which makes him stick out like a sore thumb.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Davey Boy Smith Jr's promos in MLW have been so weird. They come in the context of these Teddy Hart and Brian Pillman Jr promos that are themselves completely loving weird because the two of them are so completely weird. But then every few weeks DBS shows up and just stands around saying "I love Japan!" like their autistic cousin on vacation. The whole thing is so odd.

That being said I've really enjoyed him in the ring in MLW. I haven't really seen much of him since he left WWE and he seems way better.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He was in a good scramble the first night of Spring Break too. I believe his parents are Mexican

http://socaluncensored.com/2018/02/08/jake-atlas-interview/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

It was Iizuka by default. Now yeah probably DBS Jr.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

STAC Goat posted:

Davey Boy Smith Jr's promos in MLW have been so weird. They come in the context of these Teddy Hart and Brian Pillman Jr promos that are themselves completely loving weird because the two of them are so completely weird. But then every few weeks DBS shows up and just stands around saying "I love Japan!" like their autistic cousin on vacation. The whole thing is so odd.

That being said I've really enjoyed him in the ring in MLW. I haven't really seen much of him since he left WWE and he seems way better.

dbs was really bad for a while and then once he stopped wearing skintight jeans like his dad on that episode of smackdown and he got a lot better.

for real though over the past couple years he really has improved in ring and it coincides with changing his ring gear to tights. maybe the jeans were like training in ultra-gravity for him

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i found it kinda challenging to look at him in the jeans because yeah it REALLY reminded me of his dad when he was a year out from dropping dead

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Does anyone have the Mark Henry fake out retirement thread saved?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

shiksa posted:

for real though over the past couple years he really has improved in ring and it coincides with changing his ring gear to tights. maybe the jeans were like training in ultra-gravity for him

He wore the jeans (and I think cowboy boots?) at Wrestle Kingdom in January 2018, let’s not pretend like this happened ages ago.

Also his social media is a tilting towards “problematic weeaboo” the last few months.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Does anyone have the Mark Henry fake out retirement thread saved?

Henry shows up about this point and it only gets better from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Does anyone have that picture of Booker T throughout various video games, where the TNA one is the only one that actually looks like him?