Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better

chitoryu12 posted:

After you've determined the net capacity of your load (weight of the load minus any load handling devices like slings, shackles, and "headache balls"), you use the chart and diagram to determine whether or not you can safely lift it.

Sorry for a couple ignorant questions, but when you say "net capacity of your load", you're using "capacity" in a way I don't get.

I think of "capacity" as meaning the capability of something to do something, while a load is simply a weight in whatever form and however balanced. So my truck might have a capacity of carrying X tons and Y cubic feet, while the load that would ride in it weighs X pounds/tons and takes up however many cubic feet.

So I'd think of the capacity of a lift as being able to lift X weight at Z boom length. "Capacity of a load" is confusing to my little brain.

Secondly, why isn't the weight of the slings/shackles/whatever included in the weight of the load? That stuff gets lifted, too, although in most cases it's not a significant part of the load weight.

Thanks for the info, it's really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAADSvuxrbk

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Crane pros: it's like playing a crane game, forever

Crane cons: it's like playing a crane game, you can lose

We had an overhead crane with a remote control you sling over your shoulder, it was the coolest thing ever until it just became so rote you're doing the whole traversal without moving in less than 2 axises at once.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

The hotel I'm at was doing work earlier today. Looked like an event for OSHA.

Escalators always hunger for human flesh, especially when they've opened their mouths like that, but it appeared the employees had it properly leashed and bound today at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
After watching a video about physical pentesting, I can only assume those are fake escalator repair people who are there to steal your secrets.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Powershift posted:

Okay, but how do you feel about acronyms?
I deal with acronyms all day long and I loving hate them.

If something has a name it is generally worth using.

However, if one wishes to best use acronymns then they should be defined at the first use.

For example:
blah blah blah Occupational Safety and Health Adminstration (OSHA)....

Then perhaps have a list of acronymns (in alphabetical order) at the very end of your document. Or if you are using a lot of documents then essentially have a standard list of acronymns. With commonly use ones on that particular list. And very specific single use ones listed in the documents in which they appear. The same thing could be done for defintions of certain terms.

Some information from the nuclear power world...
https://www.ppaweb.org/documents/ppa-ap-907-001.pdf
https://www.ppaweb.org/documents/ppa-ap-907-005-001.pdf

As for slang, that is when you are truly turbo hosed. I remember I was on top of a chemical tower one time and me and about 5 other fellows were trying to holler at this one guy to put a different sized wrench in the canvas tool bag so we could haul it up with some rope. (Cause gently caress climbing all the way down and up again.) I can't remember what term it was that he used but it wasn't "wrench" and it wasn't "spanner". Ultimately I had to climb down to get it. I really wish I would have remembered what he called it... Oh well we got the job done, that was the important thing.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 12, 2019

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Could somebody repost how to add Truckfucklers to my av? I feel like spending :10bux: on the forums. Also, driving the loader, forklift, boom lift, and skidloader counts as truckfuckling IMHO

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I heart bacon posted:

Could somebody repost how to add Truckfucklers to my av? I feel like spending :10bux: on the forums. Also, driving the loader, forklift, boom lift, and skidloader counts as truckfuckling IMHO

Buy a new avatar and use an [img] tag to add the truckfucklers image to the text section (get the URL from the avatar of someone who already has it).

haveblue fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 12, 2019

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Cojawfee posted:

After watching a video about physical pentesting, I can only assume those are fake escalator repair people who are there to steal your secrets.

I did the same a couple of weekends ago. That was an interesting rabbit hole to fall down.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

I’d rather tangle with an armed guard.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

haveblue posted:

Buy a new avatar and use an [img] tag to add the truckfucklers image to the text section (get the URL from the avatar of someone who already has it).

Thanks!

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nFHMKCA00

No idea if this is actually OSHA or not, but I'd be just slightly nervous about the samples sitting next to one another and using one sample to push another around.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also one thing with trying to make cranes automatically compensate for physics is that loads typically aren't symmetrical. There are classes and certifications for riggers because materials all have different densities and a load could be made up of multiple different materials in an asymmetric shape, which requires calculations and correct sling placement to keep the load balanced. You would also need to be taking into account wind and other factors that could suddenly change during a lift. As we've seen with Boeing's recent gently caress-up, sometimes letting the computer do everything because you don't trust the operator is just going to result in a bigger accident when you have a software or hardware glitch and it forces you into doing something dangerous.

this is completely unrelated to OSHA but where is your av from? he's pretty :3:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IPCRESS posted:

No idea if this is actually OSHA or not, but I'd be just slightly nervous about the samples sitting next to one another and using one sample to push another around.

One big advantage is not using a bucket to move material into unfavourable geometries (Don't look it up without brain bleach or nuerolyser). An earlier video showed some material so ridiculously radioactive it glowed. I think it was 'Milking the cow' video.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Senor P. posted:

However, if one wishes to best use acronymns then they should be defined at the first use.

For example:
blah blah blah Occupational Safety and Health Adminstration (OSHA)....

Oh my loving god, yes!

People who just toss in undefined loving acronyms deserve to die.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Just use the acronyms package and /ac{osha} every time

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Nice. Bay twelve, please.

Just saying, that didn't go unappreciated :-)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

I heart bacon posted:

When did Swift branch off from truckfuckling into trainfuckling?

In other news, I got to drive the loader the other night at work.... it was fun

That reminded me of my first summer job at a city storage yard. We were two fifteen year old boys. The only adult present was some office worker as everyone else was on vacation. I guess he was annoyed by us having to ask him to move pallets around, because eventually he let us operate an old rear end front loader with zero oversight after giving a brief tour of the controls.

It was intimidating and exhilarating at the same time to be put in the controls of such a heavy machine. At least there was the passive safety factor of there simply not being many people around to accidentally kill. But yeah, it was extremely OSHA in retrospect. Only damages were slight bumps to stuff and some dropped bricks after a practical lesson of how not to stack them on a pallette.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Senor P. posted:

I deal with acronyms all day long and I loving hate them.

If something has a name it is generally worth using.

What about the OGs, EZEs, ICE QBs and DOCs?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Powershift posted:

What about the OGs, EZEs, ICE QBs and DOCs?
Just trying to feed my family bro, don't be mad.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Syrian Lannister posted:

I did the same a couple of weekends ago. That was an interesting rabbit hole to fall down.

Here are a few of my favorites.
Let's start off with some thread-appropriate videos (don't hack elevators. stay out of the loving elevator shaft. if the elevator is stuck between floors wait for rescue instead of trying to squeeze out because the elevator hungers for blood)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I

I'll Let Myself In: Tactics of Physical Pen Testers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnmcRTnTNC

You’re Probably Not Red Teaming (And Usually I’m Not, Either)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0czi3kpF4I

Howard Payne & Deviant Ollam - This Key is Your Key, This Key is My Key
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9b9IYqsb_U

1284X FTW (Entire fleets of vehicles are keyed with a generic key (see video above), this is a demonstration)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnYoWj_rYHs

The Search for the Perfect Door
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYvBLAF4T8

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MisterOblivious posted:

Here are a few of my favorites.
Let's start off with some thread-appropriate videos (don't hack elevators. stay out of the loving elevator shaft. if the elevator is stuck between floors wait for rescue instead of trying to squeeze out because the elevator hungers for blood)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUvGfuLlZus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I

I'll Let Myself In: Tactics of Physical Pen Testers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnmcRTnTNC

You’re Probably Not Red Teaming (And Usually I’m Not, Either)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0czi3kpF4I

Howard Payne & Deviant Ollam - This Key is Your Key, This Key is My Key
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9b9IYqsb_U

1284X FTW (Entire fleets of vehicles are keyed with a generic key (see video above), this is a demonstration)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnYoWj_rYHs

The Search for the Perfect Door
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYvBLAF4T8

I love these vids, thx. There's one with a guy who's job is to sneak into corporate offices and evade security it's pretty interesting but can't find it right now.
e: oh this last vid's about a guy who breaks into stuff..there must be a lot of people like this in these defcon type vids.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 12, 2019

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

I love these vids, thx. There's one with a guy who's job is to sneak into corporate offices and evade security it's pretty interesting but can't find it right now.
e: oh this last vid's about a guy who breaks into stuff..there must be a lot of people like this in these defcon type vids.

Somewhat related, but watch LockPickingLawyer if you want to see how worthless pretty much all locks are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YkkEKSpJAs

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I just care about having a lock that isn’t infamously vulnerable like those tubular locks defeated by pens or basically any Masterlock.

If a lockpicking virtuoso or anyone with an cutoff wheel shows up, the lock can admit defeat without shame.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guineapig posted:

Sorry for a couple ignorant questions, but when you say "net capacity of your load", you're using "capacity" in a way I don't get.

I think of "capacity" as meaning the capability of something to do something, while a load is simply a weight in whatever form and however balanced. So my truck might have a capacity of carrying X tons and Y cubic feet, while the load that would ride in it weighs X pounds/tons and takes up however many cubic feet.

So I'd think of the capacity of a lift as being able to lift X weight at Z boom length. "Capacity of a load" is confusing to my little brain.

Secondly, why isn't the weight of the slings/shackles/whatever included in the weight of the load? That stuff gets lifted, too, although in most cases it's not a significant part of the load weight.

Thanks for the info, it's really interesting.

Sorry, I did mix up terms a little. "Net capacity" is the maximum capacity you can safely lift at a given boom length and angle, minus the weight of load handling devices. The load is just the load with its weight.

The load charts all list net capacity, as there's a wide variance in possible load handling equipment that could be hundreds of pounds off from other setups. When determining how much you can lift, you make sure that you're taking into account the weight of the load and the weight of your block, sling, shackle, etc. Otherwise what seems like a 2500-pound load is actually 2800 pounds because you didn't take into account all the other poo poo hanging from the boom. This is especially problematic for small cranes, as they can have very low net capacities at the edge of their capability and a 150-pound headache ball could bring you close to tipping when shock loads and other unexpected loads on the boom are taken into account.

wesleywillis posted:

It also looks like the "heavy boom", the one that fell to begin with hit the boom of the one that was lowering it?. Was the operator supposed to be lowering the heavy boom while rolling his crane back?

It looks like the tension lines on top of the boom are slack, which suggests that the crane was being assembled or disassembled and the boom sections are so heavy that they need additional cranes to hold them up. The operator was likely lowering the boom for disassembly on the ground and wasn't using the brakes properly, causing the boom to fall too fast and eventually gain so much momentum that the brakes are now useless at stopping it.

lol if you posted:

this is completely unrelated to OSHA but where is your av from? he's pretty :3:

That is Aunt Martha from Sleepaway Camp!

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 12, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

JB50 posted:

Somewhat related, but watch LockPickingLawyer if you want to see how worthless pretty much all locks are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YkkEKSpJAs

yeah i'm already on all this and bosnianbill. lock picking in a garage is neat, but it's way cooler when people figure out weird ways to get into actual secure sites.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

chitoryu12 posted:

headache ball

Heh, is it called that for the reason I think it is?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It gives you a headache because it keeps talking about the deep state.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BMan posted:

Heh, is it called that for the reason I think it is?

I believe so. I once almost got my skull crushed like an eggshell when an elderly instructor trying to pick up a load next to me slammed the stick forward too hard. I ducked out of the way before the 120-pound steel ball smashed into the crane behind my head.

He's no longer operating, obviously.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Cojawfee posted:

According to wikipedia, it was in use from the 60s to the 80s and then fell out of use. The proper way to pronounce it is the same way you pronounce the G in garage.

im late but this is the jooniest loving post and i love you now

Guineapig
Sep 8, 2005

Louder is not Better
Thanks for the clarification, chitoryu12.

Edit:

Wait, you say MINUS the weight of the load handling devices, which means the weight of the devices is subtracted from the net capacity and not ignored like I thought you were saying. Sorry, I misunderstood.

How do I strike through everything below this line?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
However, these two statements

chitoryu12 posted:

"Net capacity" is the maximum capacity you can safely lift at a given boom length and angle, minus the weight of load handling devices.

When determining how much you can lift, you make sure that you're taking into account the weight of the load and the weight of your block, sling, shackle, etc. Otherwise what seems like a 2500-pound load is actually 2800 pounds because you didn't take into account all the other poo poo hanging from the boom.

seem to still be in contradiction. I fully agree with the second one and am confused about the usefulness of the first one.

I have had to do a limited amount of rigging of my own gear and have done my best to pay attention and learn from a variety of sources the safe way to do it.

Guineapig fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 12, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The statements looked fine when I was typing but they could easily be read incorrectly.

Load charts are all gross capacity because the weight of load handling devices and rigging will be variable. Net capacity is what you can actually lift, which is the gross capacity minus the weight of any extra poo poo hanging on it.

So let’s say your load is 25,000 pounds. The load chart says at a 30 degree boom angle and 120 foot length, your gross capacity is 26,050 pounds. But you have 300 pounds of rigging and a block to actually lift the load, so your net capacity is actually 25,750 pounds in that spot. What seems like a decent amount of leeway is actually just 750 pounds away from the limit, which something like shock loading from a rapid lift can put you over. If you need to lower the boom more as part of the lift, you could now be unable to safely make the lift without making adjustments.

This is why a proper construction site is rarely someone just pointing at a load and telling the operator “Just swing it over there when you’re hooked up”. Unless you’re doing something obviously easy (like using a 40-ton capacity crane to lift a 500 pound pallet), you want people doing calculations and planning the lift very exactly. An LMI that tells you your boom angle and length help you make very exact motions.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Guineapig posted:

Thanks for the clarification, chitoryu12.

Edit:

Wait, you say MINUS the weight of the load handling devices, which means the weight of the devices is subtracted from the net capacity and not ignored like I thought you were saying. Sorry, I misunderstood.

How do I strike through everything below this line?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
However, these two statements

seem to still be in contradiction. I fully agree with the second one and am confused about the usefulness of the first one.

I have had to do a limited amount of rigging of my own gear and have done my best to pay attention and learn from a variety of sources the safe way to do it.

I think the first statement

quote:

"Net capacity" is the maximum capacity you can safely lift at a given boom length and angle, minus the weight of load handling devices.
is kind of like in physics 101 where everything is operating in a vacuum and frictionless, imagine if the weight of the load handling devices was 0lbs.

But I'm a simple thread reader here.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Misplace your soldering iron? Simple! Just plug an ordinary pencil into the wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BGSy4M27vw

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

So Math posted:

Misplace your soldering iron? Simple! Just plug an ordinary pencil into the wall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BGSy4M27vw

When he solders the second invention, why doesn't he use the pencil.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Memento fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 13, 2019

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEFtzxEqkqg

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

I very truly hope those are there to hold it in place before it gets bolted/welded up.

Unless this is the FIU footbridge from last year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the anchor isn't even bolted onto the wall, so really those ties are just holding the anchor in place, not holding the beam up at all.