Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

:nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan:
I want to go back in time to 1999 and experience Everquest 1 all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

xyzzyx posted:

Have you played project1999? Or you mean like for the first time?

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

:nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan::nyan:
Time machine + memory wipe.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Have you played project1999? Or you mean like for the first time?

To be fair the lovely original client did add a certain charm, not to mention the inability to just look up a detailed quest guide for everything in the entire game. P99 is awesome but it's only an approximation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Relayer posted:

To be fair the lovely original client did add a certain charm, not to mention the inability to just look up a detailed quest guide for everything in the entire game. P99 is awesome but it's only an approximation.

The first can be achieved with combinations of clients or mods, the second can be achieved with self-restraint.

I'm not crazy enough to play at 640x480 though! (I think my monitor at the time did 1024?)

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I admire McQuaids vision, even if game development has left him behind. Remember how if you were a spell caster you had to stare at your spell book to regen mana faster until like level 12? (20+ hours) Lol

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

smarxist posted:

I admire McQuaids vision, even if game development has left him behind. Remember how if you were a spell caster you had to stare at your spell book to regen mana faster until like level 12? (20+ hours) Lol

Yeah and that sucked poo poo, but that was the point. At I think level 30 you didn't have to do that anymore, and yet retained all the power of being a spell caster. It's like you graduated. I distinctly remember that being awesome.

Not to mention as a spellcaster with no mana you couldn't really contribute poo poo to the group. It just encouraged a social aspect since all you could do was chat. It's extreme, but I definitely prefer it to modern themepark mmos that might as well be single player.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

To this day I long for another game to have spellcasting mechanics as deep as EQ, where you have to actually manage your spellbook and memorized spells.

smarxist posted:

Did it actually work that way though? I can't remember for sure, but I thought that ended up being a major misconception, and sitting would give you just as much. Or did they change that in one of the expansions? That's how p1999 works, I think.

And until like level 5-8-12 staring at the spellbook doesn't even make it go faster. Waiting on health and mana to regen in EQ was the WORST, but that downtime also gave you breathing room for roleplaying.

I definitely stared at my spell book a lot. I kinda like the idea of casters being somewhat blinded and having to rely on melee to be their guards. EQ had so many mechanics that actually forced players to depend on each other. That's what MMOs lack now.

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

Relayer posted:

Yeah and that sucked poo poo, but that was the point. At I think level 30 you didn't have to do that anymore, and yet retained all the power of being a spell caster. It's like you graduated. I distinctly remember that being awesome.

Not to mention as a spellcaster with no mana you couldn't really contribute poo poo to the group. It just encouraged a social aspect since all you could do was chat. It's extreme, but I definitely prefer it to modern themepark mmos that might as well be single player.

Not to mention the terror of being a spell caster with zero mana and you hear the sound of battle but can't see poo poo. Claustrophobic as gently caress.

The change to mana regen happened sometime after Kunark and before Velius.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

xyzzyx posted:

The change to mana regen happened sometime after Kunark and before Velius.

That makes sense. I definitely remember both ways, but wasn't sure if it was all rumors or what. I played Classic through Luclin so between those would explain why my memory is foggy on it.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
EQ was maybe the last and only game that had a well balanced dynamic between casters and melee, where pure casters were frail and restricted but had powerful effects, and melee were more durable and flexible but of limited utility ,and the hybrids actually had interesting interplay between their different ability pools.

I have a distinct memory of making a clutch evac on my druid (succor east spell baby) after helping a friend retrieve a corpse after an aggro brownie dumpstered him, a third paladin buddy was getting hammered on and used LOH and I fired off the evac just before he died and got us all out. Good times :unsmith:

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

My best EQ memories were being part of the raid strategy team for my guild and coming up with unorthodox ways to kill bosses. That existed in WoW for a very short time window, before becoming the exclusive domain of the hardcore raiding guilds and strat sites.

The polished nature of WoW encounters killed my interest in raiding and PvE MMOs.

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
Spending hours training up feign death on my lizard, pitching sideways over and over again :) Practicing FD pulls in Guk trying to get an FBSS before being called up to do it on Fire Giants with the grownups. Then moving up to the Planes to learn how to do it in Fear and Hate.

Good times.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Practicing up safe fall lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

xyzzyx posted:

My best EQ memories were being part of the raid strategy team for my guild and coming up with unorthodox ways to kill bosses. That existed in WoW for a very short time window, before becoming the exclusive domain of the hardcore raiding guilds and strat sites.

The polished nature of WoW encounters killed my interest in raiding and PvE MMOs.

Yeah, I remember raiding... I think it was ZG? And our raid group arguing about like 3 different strategies for one boss that we had come up with and who's was the viable strategy and which we should attempt next.

Now its all "hey, has everybody watched the fatboss guides?"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xyzzyx posted:

ITT it's 1999 and I bought Everquest but couldn't play it because no 3D accelerator card, whoops.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

smarxist posted:

I miss this UI.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

I said come in! posted:

ITT it's 1999 and I bought Everquest but couldn't play it because no 3D accelerator card, whoops.

Well just read the box dork

xyzzyx
Jun 9, 2011

The box art was almost as good as the original music. RIP in peace Keith.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

smarxist posted:

Practicing up safe fall lol

There wasn't a drowning xp penalty on the pvp server I was on. I would safe fall until I had no HP and then drown myself. That was faster then sitting down and healing or using bind wounds on my Ogre Warrior.

Death to heal!

wafflethief
Jun 2, 2013
bah! its all about the not-so-micro-transactions these days :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

xyzzyx posted:

The box art was almost as good as the original music. RIP in peace Keith.

The box art was amazingly great and really sucked you into the Tolkien-esque world.

Its just so good.

And the music was also fantastic and I'll never forget several tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eudivHLEg-4

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh god yeah. Also the theme when you're running accross west karana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvcdrlWl-fQ

It was also the toxxulia forest theme but I played as a barbarian running between qeynos and high hold constantly.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

I said come in! posted:

My family had just gotten our first wal mart computer a couple years prior and I got EQ along with a... Voodoo 3 I think? Because I had done my research, even if I, nor anyone in my family, knew anything about installing PC parts.

We got home and I opened the box for the first time and whoops, no AGP port. Took it back and got a lower end PCI TNT to fit in the one available PCI slot. Thus I was introduced to the concept of PC part compatibility.

Ran like rear end, like 12FPS or something, but it ran.

Zaphod42 posted:

The box art was amazingly great and really sucked you into the Tolkien-esque world.

Its just so good.

Tag yourself I'm the Erudite blatantly ogling the elf.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

xyzzyx posted:

I've been having a pretty EQ1-esque experience with Orbus VR recently. Well, I was until they shut the servers down for the big update. There was an enormous amount of immersion to be had in physically running around the VR world, actually talking to other human beings just by speaking, actually engaging in combat just by pulling out a gun (or bow, or sword) and talking to npc's by waving to them. Enough, for me, to overcome the incredibly cheap production values and terrible lag/bad mechanics, and give me a proper sense of presence. Even the tiny, tiny world of that game felt big enough to sink a hundred hours into, easily, when traveling across it by actually physically walking from place to place with only a static map in a book to help guide me. For several days straight I played until I was too sore to stand up, and the immersion that could be felt just from sitting on the shore of a badly-textured lake actually casting with a fishing pole and reeling slowly back in while trying to understand the half-English half-Russian gibberish of the guy next to me was unironically amazing.

I don't think Orbus is going to be it, due to the price/awful lag/limited possible playerbase/tiny dev team/etc but I do think the next big MMO is going to happen when VR is mainstream enough to make it commercially viable. The technology is just on a whole different level, and lends itself so well to social, online experiences. It's the first time in 5 years I've been hopeful about what the future might bring for the genre.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VR does help people do more social things and be less dicks to each other, so yeah I'm really waiting for the first proper Virtual Renaissance Festival where you can just walk around a town wearing a knight or wizard character model and talk to other players who are actually roleplaying as other fantasy dudes or sci-fi dudes.

But VR MMO sounds like a huge budget cost, and the VR install base isn't big enough to justify that investment yet, so it'll be awhile before we see anything like a AAA VR MMO that we're dreaming of. (Dang that's a lot of acronyms)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zaphod42 posted:

But VR MMO sounds like a huge budget cost, and the VR install base isn't big enough to justify that investment yet, so it'll be awhile before we see anything like a AAA VR MMO that we're dreaming of. (Dang that's a lot of acronyms)

Well that first point is kind of what Orbus helped me understand. Something like EQ1 was made on what, the equivalent of like 5 million dollars in today's cash? That's not exactly indie, but it isn't out of range for a small to mid-size company. VR is extremely dependent on high frame rates, which means simplified or low poly art styles really work well in it. Art assets are cheap in VR. And VR is engaging enough that mechanics can be massively reduced from your typical PC MMO and still be enormously fun.

Take for example the Mage class in Orbus. They don't learn spells as they level- and you don't push buttons to cast. Instead, you cast by drawing runes in the air with your wand. There are maaaaybe ~30 spells in the game, and you learn them by going out in the world and finding the pillars that actually show the runes you need to draw- or, more likely, by having people demonstrate them to you. What's more, a skilled mage is distinguished from a new one not just by what they can cast, but by the shortcuts they've managed to figure out- shaving a second or two off the cast time of a major DoT by finding a shortcut through the gesture recognition can be huge. People will spend hours just sitting around practicing their spells to get them down to reflex actions, because it feels real. Now, am I saying this is enough to support an actual MMO class? No, absolutely not- the gesture recognition sucks in Orbus, and about 2/3rds of the spells are pointless, but the spark is there. With a team of 30 people and a couple years of time to add some mechanical depth to the combat system, this would be top notch. You don't need a skill tree with 300 powers all meticulously balanced, you just need to make your player feel like a wizard.

Another example- a single player combat game (apologies for linking a random awful youtube gamer, it's just an example). There's no reason this combat system couldn't be translated into a VR MMO. It's far simpler than any modern action-based MMO combat, but it feels so good to actually hit stuff with your sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGux7gNLvvY

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 11, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

As for your second point, yeah the player base just isn't big enough yet. Even a 5 million dollar title would need to sell a couple hundred thousand copies at full price to break even. Right now you really can't expect to sell more than a tenth of that. But it'll get there (I hope).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's all true, but then on the flipside you have the fact that VR dev is so new, there's tons of things with controls and UI that have to be learned the hard way, though painstaking development where you try different things and start over if things don't work.

That's why most VR games right now are basically demos that barely last 2 hours. But they still want to charge full price $60.

You're right though that art doesn't need to be as high fidelity (and shouldn't for performance) so that helps a lot. Still, a ton of work to do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://kotaku.com/thousands-watch-as-gta-v-streamer-puts-on-elaborate-in-1833978829

Stuff like this makes me confident that there's big demand for a social hangout MMO like star wars galaxies was

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just so good.

The box art was certainly eye catching, it always jumped out sitting on the shelf at CompUSA or wherever. I was low-key shocked a decade+ when I learned that Ms. Comeplaymylord was an actual character in the game with a name and a story, rather than just a generic representation of a PC.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the good guy city in kunark was even named after her.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

the good guy city in kunark was even named after her.

Good guy city was the poo poo, overthere city was for trailer people

Although I definitely clicked my guise first day in kunark cause I was all excited and got killed by good guy guards instantly so gently caress them too.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Are there any games out there with a Diablo 2 style loot drop system? As in, rare items and a lot of viable options with the possibility of getting a good drop on certain mobs?

For example, I wouldn’t count EQ because of its relatively static loot - go here, get this. I also wouldn’t count BDO because of its reliance on an upgrade system rather than rarity system.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ruggan posted:

Are there any games out there with a Diablo 2 style loot drop system? As in, rare items and a lot of viable options with the possibility of getting a good drop on certain mobs?

For example, I wouldn’t count EQ because of its relatively static loot - go here, get this. I also wouldn’t count BDO because of its reliance on an upgrade system rather than rarity system.

I guess it depends on what you consider MMO. I can't think of any classic games with this style of loot, but Destiny, The Division, and Warframe are all occasionally talked about as MMO's and have more or less what you're talking about. Of those I'd heartily recommend Warframe as a game with amazing progression, good co-op, a great story (eventually), and fun loot/power creep, and some hub areas that are creeping closer to MMO-style, but it is definitely not your traditional pick-a-class-and-progress kind of game.

Beyond that there was Defiance, which was a Trion mmo FPS from like 2013 and I have no idea if it still exists. Also Tabula Rasa which definitely doesn't anymore. Or Hellgate: London which is probably the most like Diablo that you're likely to get, but again- is that even running anymore? Pretty sure it died (E: It did not, but drat it is not well reviewed recently, apparently the steam version is now SP only? Sucks).

Oh also Anthem but hahaha

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Rust feels more like super old school mmorpgs than anything else I've played in like 10 or 15 years tbh

Internet Nobody
May 17, 2009

Internet Nobody fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 28, 2020

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh also Anthem but hahaha

Dang, beat me to it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What's RPG about rust I've never played it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Ruggan posted:

Oh another one that I've heard about but don't know a drat thing about- Torchlight Frontiers is coming out soon, purports to be an MMO, and at least the first 2 were extremely decent Diabloesque looters.