Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly Harry Potter fans and JK Rowling on twitter have destroyed all my nostalgia for it. They've actually ruined it for me.

It’s like the Bible. Some good things in it, but the fandom makes it gross. Also, read another book sometimes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

The fake part is that a woman would be pro-vaccine but work in a homeopathic store.

No the fake part is an anti-vaxxer's kid living to 11.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

What annoys me about this is people don't realise that the houses are just based on observable personality types which already exist. They think 'oh my god the magic of my fantasy world is coming true!' it's like when people mention they are INFJ or whatever one is the super special introverted creative type.

Mountaineer posted:

This may not have happened, but I was none the less amused to discover that books about grave robbing are actually a thing.

I'm imagining this but in library form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3v5hmS6tvk

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

TheMostFrench posted:

What annoys me about this is people don't realise that the houses are just based on observable personality types which already exist. They think 'oh my god the magic of my fantasy world is coming true!' it's like when people mention they are INFJ or whatever one is the super special introverted creative type.

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/762038953721597953?s=20

I assume/hope most of these people do in fact read other books, and just talk about Harry Potter because it’s universally recognized. But Rowling’s weird-rear end Twitter poo poo is killing what affection I still had for the series.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jurgan posted:

https://twitter.com/TVsCarlKinsella/status/762038953721597953?s=20

I assume/hope most of these people do in fact read other books, and just talk about Harry Potter because it’s universally recognized. But Rowling’s weird-rear end Twitter poo poo is killing what affection I still had for the series.

"Being gay isn't a choice, it's something that happens to you when JK Rowling decides it's your time."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

TheMostFrench posted:

I was driving behind a someone with a "1 INFJ" license plate the other day. Googling literally that phrase also brings up something called an enneagram type which I've never heard of and refuse to read about.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

some edgy redditor said posted:

Ok so first things first this started in Kindergarten. I was always the shy one and literally only talked to the teachers! If one of my teachers told me to go play with the little group of kids outside I would always say "That's useless". Yes I got experienced to life from an early start on. Anyways, one day a boy came up to me and it was valentines day. He asked me "Will you be my Valentine (my name)!" I got really REALLY scared because I did not believe in love and I thought (Still do) it was useless and gets you hurt, so I turned really red and I grabbed one of the chocolates that was opened as he was handing them to me and plopped it in my mouth and said "No sorry I don't believe in love so please go away or I will go away" He was about to cry but asked me "Why dont you believe in love?" I simply said "Because you always get hurt, also can I take the chocolates?" He gave them to me and said "You should start". As I was walking away from him I laughed and said "Not happening buddy"...

Too be honest I watched so much messed up animes when I was little against my parents wishes. I'm not blaming it on that, but my vocabulary was sort of above average for the words I would use. Anyways I know that I was a pretty rough little kid back then but I did think that love hurts after seeing everyone around me heartbroke.

PART TWO: So after that day my teachers called me into this room that everyone supposedly thought that you get beatings in it because every kid that went in there were always in trouble. No beatings just a time out area. So I was called in and everyone was looking at me and saying "Oooooh". I still hate that when people do it. When I got in the teachers were trying to calm down the boy who asked me to be his valentine yesterday. He was crying none stop until he looked at me. He then said "Why are you here?" I said "I dont want to be here. I was called". The teacher then said "Ok kids calm down, (My name), (Boy's Name) said that you turned him down rudely yesterday". I got mad as I didnt want to be his valentine's either way. I said "Why should I be. Love is too obnoxious and shouldn't be expressed!". Lets just say that the little boy got even more butthurt and started to bawl. I gave him a pat on the back and said "I thought you would learn more from me". I left the room, and when I came out every one was staring at me with big eyes. This one obnoxious girl then said "OMG YOU MADE IT OUT HOW!?", I then walked to my drawing station and wrote on a peice of paper "Don't talk to me.". No one talked to me every since that day and I would stay inside for recess to watch some animes and study some cards.

No goddamn 5 year old talks like this, idgaf how many "animes" you'd watch

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

dovetaile posted:

No goddamn 5 year old talks like this, idgaf how many "animes" you'd watch

Any good comments calling them out?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I also got experienced to life from an early start on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can anyone actually remember a single thing they said at 5?

Like, I have a decent memory. I can remember a lot of stuff that afaik is corroborated by photos and by my family and friends’ memories. I know I was talking at age 5.

I can’t tell you a single sentence I uttered. I can guarantee that none of it was worthwhile, though.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can anyone actually remember a single thing they said at 5?

Like, I have a decent memory. I can remember a lot of stuff that afaik is corroborated by photos and by my family and friends’ memories. I know I was talking at age 5.

I can’t tell you a single sentence I uttered. I can guarantee that none of it was worthwhile, though.

I remember stuff from my preschool days though some of that is blurry. I distinctly remember a few conversations from kindergarten and then after that it's pretty filled in for memories. That's when I was 4 and 5 so it certainly isn't very worthwhile to remember.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Are we already back around to early life memories again?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Any good comments calling them out?

No. This was a year ago in a basically dead subreddit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm going t leave this here in case anyone needs to deal with stdh in their personal life.

https://twitter.com/softsynthbear/status/1116843758945878017?s=19

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Garrand posted:

I was driving behind a someone with a "1 INFJ" license plate the other day. Googling literally that phrase also brings up something called an enneagram type which I've never heard of and refuse to read about.

:hmmyes:

Good choice. The enneagram is even stupider and more annoying than the Myers-Briggs NotATest.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skwirl posted:

"Being gay isn't a choice, it's something that happens to you when JK Rowling decides it's your time."
Best one:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Skoogeth/status/1107635835103531008

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I cannot imagine what a “dank Star Trek meme” would even be. I’m fairly sure that a good antonym for “dank” would be “Star Trek,” and I say that as a fan.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
OK, so I googled “dank star trek memes” and this was one of the results:

Oh man, guys.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
What the hell did Rowling do?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Furia posted:

didn't know when to stop

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Furia posted:

Wrote some fairy tales for kids without realizing horrible manchildren can read too, made a bunch of money off them, and now spends her days loving with them on Twitter?
(I mean that's for all I know)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Furia posted:

She keeps revealing facts no one needed to hear. Like that wizards didn't use toilets until recently and used to just magic the poop out of their bodies. Or that Dumbledore and Wizard Hitler used to gently caress like cats in heat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Furia posted:

Trying to play both sides of the fence. Hermione's black, Dumbledore's gay. But uh, that's not written anywhere in the books or reflected by casting in the films where it may have negatively affected sales but trust me it was always the case my books are very woke.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah basically Woke George Lucas Syndrome and it kinda comes off as insincere, since she’s very rich don’t-rock-the-boat-liberal. She certainly didn’t have a problem with Warner Brothers recasting that black girl with a white one when she become Ron’s love interest, for example. Also I think she’s said some TERFy poo poo?

Dumbledore being gay at least fits in the text. I assume that’s not reflected in the new movies of course.

It’s better than her going fash to be fair.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Apr 14, 2019

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'll give Rowling a pass on Dumbledore being gay, because yeah, I've definitely written stories where I'm like, this character is very gay, they just feel gay to me, but also they're in more of a supporting role and that's not going to come up in the story without me forcing it, so I'll just not explore that because I have a plot to focus on.

That said, that's basically the only thing I'll give her a pass on at this point. She's ladder-pulling scum and in love with her own ideas at this point.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Apparently she told the actor playing Dumbledore that he was gay years ago, and in the 7th book we're introduced to a guy who is clearly his long-term partner. And the stupid toilet thing has been cannon for years, it only became widespread recently because some twitter account highlighted it. There's plenty of goofy absurdist jokes in the series, since they're children books.

What really matters is that she's a TERF, and has a highly visible platform in which to talk about this poo poo.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Honestly Harry Potter fans and JK Rowling on twitter have destroyed all my nostalgia for it. They've actually ruined it for me.

Any time I meet someone that tells me they're into Harry Potter I feel like I have to actively keep from grimacing. However I did take the House test many, many years ago when the thing came out and now when people irl need to tell me they're a Hufflepuff (I hate those people) I can tell them I'm a Gryffindor and watch them internally grimace back

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RoboRodent posted:

I'll give Rowling a pass on Dumbledore being gay, because yeah, I've definitely written stories where I'm like, this character is very gay, they just feel gay to me, but also they're in more of a supporting role and that's not going to come up in the story without me forcing it, so I'll just not explore that because I have a plot to focus on.

That said, that's basically the only thing I'll give her a pass on at this point. She's ladder-pulling scum and in love with her own ideas at this point.

Yeah I'm not sure where in the books people think Dumbledores sexuality should have come up because I went through the books a couple years ago and I couldn't name one place it would fit

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

Yeah I'm not sure where in the books people think Dumbledores sexuality should have come up because I went through the books a couple years ago and I couldn't name one place it would fit

Inside Grindlewald of course!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Harry Potter fans are the worst, because they are overwhelmingly adults and not children

I have yet to meet a kid who actually likes those books.

Tweet: Hagrid is actually gender binary. No, I didn't write shmim that way, but trust me, that's how it is because I need the social capital

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho posted:

Harry Potter fans are the worst, because they are overwhelmingly adults and not children

Tweet: Hagrid is actually gender binary. No, I didn't write shmim that way, but trust me, that's how it is because I need the social capital

The first book came out in 1997. An 8 year old at the time of publishing is now 30. This isn't to detract from the fact the fans are insufferable but it is quite possible for them to have been in the target demographic for the books when they were released.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

jobson groeth posted:

The first book came out in 1997. An 8 year old at the time of publishing is now 30. This isn't to detract from the fact the fans are insufferable but it is quite possible for them to have been in the target demographic for the books when they were released.

Yeah, and the books were intentionally written to grow up with the audience. The people who were in elementary school when they first encountered the series would be teenagers when it ended, with the series going from a whimsical tale of magic to a war against a fascist dictatorship that kills off tons of characters and has Ron’s mom kill someone while calling her a bitch.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ElGroucho posted:

I have two nieces aged 9 and 13 who are both crazy about the books. The 13-year-old has started to feel they're too childish though. Lots of kids love the books. It's just that the adults who like them too much are hugely obnoxious. Like how little girls really do love My Little Pony but gently caress if you'd know it hanging around on the internet.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

It’s definitely hinted at in the passages about Dumbledore and Grindelwald from the 1920s/1930s whatever it was Daily Prophet. I don’t know how apparent it would be to people who weren’t students of English literature or history, but those use a lot of the same language as real-world English journalese for gay celebrities of that era.

Also maybe in the quoted letters from that time period. I read the books when they came out and not since, but I definitely got the “Bloomsbury Group but with magic” sense from all that stuff.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

I have two nieces aged 9 and 13 who are both crazy about the books. The 13-year-old has started to feel they're too childish though. Lots of kids love the books. It's just that the adults who like them too much are hugely obnoxious. Like how little girls really do love My Little Pony but gently caress if you'd know it hanging around on the internet.

If I still had a bunch of TMNT shirts and posters and stickers and poo poo at age 35, I'd kindly ask one of you to throw me off a cliff.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

I'm a teacher and I can tell you the books are very popular with kids, still.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

If I still had a bunch of TMNT shirts and posters and stickers and poo poo at age 35, I'd kindly ask one of you to throw me off a cliff.

I sometimes wonder what this girl is up to now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz3m_7ozhNo

She's gotta be in her early 40s by now.

Air Skwirl has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Apr 14, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I really liked Susan Cooper's and Ursula LeGuin's fairy tale books as a kid but I'm about 100% certain that had Twitter existed back then, I would have had zero interest in reading the authors' twits about who the main characters want to stick their penises in.

Then LeGuin published Tehanu which was that twit but I was a bit older so I was cool with that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

LeGuin at least probably wouldn't be retweeting TERFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skwirl posted:

LeGuin at least probably wouldn't be retweeting TERFs.

Oh. Well I'm not a brand, literal Nazi or a confused politician so I don't read or use Twitter at all :shrug: