Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Conversation street wouldn't work if filmed during the adventure. The news would be even more out of date than it is now.

I meant more to do what they're doing now, but without a tent and without an audience. The three of them together in a studio, they introduce the adventure they're on, make some wisecracks and insult the size of someone's penis, then on with the adventure. After 20 minutes, cut back to the studio and let them chat a bit more and fill in background stuff about the trip that may not have made it on camera, insult Hammond for being small and May for being slow, talk about car news, then back for another 20 minutes of adventure. Another break, call Clarkson fat and dumb, then the last bit of the adventure, then they appear one last time in the studio to say goodbye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The Contour or Fusion are obviously the direct equivalent but they never were as iconic or had the market share that the Cortina line did. I don't think the Camry really works either because who was ever excited about one.

Maybe the Mustang, in terms of popularity and cultural impact, or Model T if you go further back?

Well there's one other US-market Ford I can think of which sold extremely well, was popular with families, had lots of trim levels to use as a status symbols, was absolutely iconic in its day and had American culture wrapped around its little finger, was exciting to a lot of people and even had a not-insignificant presence in some forms of motorsport...

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

ratbert90 posted:

So long as they keep Abbie on board with more dialog and shenanigans I will be just fine.
I'll say it; Abbie is cooler and more interesting than the Stig ever was.

On the subject of Ford's, aren't Ford USA shitcanning anything that isn't an SUV or truck?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
They're keeping the Mustang, but that's it for cars.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Meydey posted:

I started tearing up during the church scene when people were holding the pictures of themselves as kids with their parents Fords. Not sure why that got me as I detest all things Ford (had a Taurus wagon once)

That section where people were holding up pictures of themselves as kids in their dad's Fords hit me pretty good because if I was still in England I'd be a perfect candidate for it and even have a perfect photo, just like theirs, of a young me in the passenger seat of my dad's RS500. (different photo of it here)

Other Fords he went through: Ford Capri 2.8i, Ford Probe 24V, Ford Fiesta XR2, Ford Granada 2.8i Ghia X, but no Cortina :/ I think it still counts.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

tuna posted:

That section where people were holding up pictures of themselves as kids in their dad's Fords hit me pretty good because if I was still in England I'd be a perfect candidate for it and even have a perfect photo, just like theirs, of a young me in the passenger seat of my dad's RS500. (different photo of it here)

Other Fords he went through: Ford Capri 2.8i, Ford Probe 24V, Ford Fiesta XR2, Ford Granada 2.8i Ghia X, but no Cortina :/ I think it still counts.
For me its the Porsches. Dad had a 924 and still has a (broken) 944. I owned a 944 S2 for 5 years.

He also had a pretty mad Granada. His car history could be a pretty cool James May documentary.

He was also chief mechanic of a Truck racing team in the early 80s...

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Falken posted:

For me its the Porsches. Dad had a 924 and still has a (broken) 944. I owned a 944 S2 for 5 years.

He also had a pretty mad Granada. His car history could be a pretty cool James May documentary.

He was also chief mechanic of a Truck racing team in the early 80s...

:hfive: That's fuckin awesome. Our dads would get along well I think: https://i.imgur.com/HdX7Z8t.jpg (944 turbo 250 / 944s). Along with being involved or at least in-with some racing teams of the time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nill posted:

But maybe they can work that into the adventure specials by literally stopping by the side of a road in whatever town they're near, setting up some chairs, and discussing automotive non-sequiturs whilst confused locals look on.
They should find an actual Conversation Street.

... could be difficult, the only thing I can find on Google Maps is Conversation Club Road in what certainly appears to be the rear end-end of nowhere, IL.

But they managed to find Jezza, too

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Falken posted:

On the subject of Ford's, aren't Ford USA shitcanning anything that isn't an SUV or truck?

Abbie is also quite funny and could probably out drive The Stig.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Falken posted:

Did I miss something? She practically didn't say anything this season. She's essentially The Stig with a transparent visor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Combat Pretzel posted:

Did I miss something? She practically didn't say anything this season. She's essentially The Stig with a transparent visor.

It might be because she's an attractive woman (though gay, so tough luck, goons), but she has said about 10 words, which is more than the stig ever said. I like her because she's a nice contrast to the three old dudes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I for one do not miss my parents' 1990s Taurus, Windstar, or Sport Trac.

Maybe the 1994 Explorer, but probably not.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
My parents had a 95 and a 97 explorer and it was cool because it had a cool screen in the middle that said how many miles to empty.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked the section in the doc where Richard goes into how literally the only crime in the UK in the 80s was dudes stealing Cosworths.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I would really like to see fhem do more standalone docs in between the specials. Those were some of my favorite episodes this season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I wonder if any Jaaaaaaaag owners got jealous of Cossies getting stolen but not their cars. Leave their Jaaaaags left unlocked around town. "You wanna nick this? It's a Jaaaaaaaaaag."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if any Jaaaaaaaag owners got jealous of Cossies getting stolen but not their cars. Leave their Jaaaaags left unlocked around town. "You wanna nick this? It's a Jaaaaaaaaaag."

When stealing a car, the important thing is that the car will not break down between the place you steal it and wherever you want to keep it. British cars are, thus, immune from theft.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It might be because she's an attractive woman (though gay, so tough luck, goons), but she has said about 10 words, which is more than the stig ever said. I like her because she's a nice contrast to the three old dudes.
Nope, because she's a badass. Sorry, I'm happily in a relationship.

Her drive through those tiny streets in the shitbox was enough to sway me.

tuna posted:

:hfive: That's fuckin awesome. Our dads would get along well I think: https://i.imgur.com/HdX7Z8t.jpg (944 turbo 250 / 944s). Along with being involved or at least in-with some racing teams of the time.
Awesome! My S2 was red too. Main difference with mine externally is mine had the original black spoiler, rather than a colour-coded bridge wing.

Falken fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 14, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty lucky the line about Mick Jagger dying didn't turn out to be more timely.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Man, I just had a long flight where I watched both Senna and the last "traditional" TG/GT episode and it kind of hit me hard. I started watching Top Gear back in 2004, after I saw an episode on a trip to Europe right before I started college. It's taken me through many of my major life milestones, both personal and professional, and although it's only a TV show, it's going to be different not to look forward to the next series. I know that it will go on in some form, but it's still the end of an era for me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPQAHpQS2EI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUOcchlxcmI

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Well new Top Gear started again and honestly, it's not terrible!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

net work error posted:

Well new Top Gear started again and honestly, it's not terrible!

Yeah! It was helped by the fact that Ethiopia seems absolutely amazing, but that was a very good episode of Top Gear.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is this on BBC America or something? Or I guess you guys could be British/not American. I stopped looking on iTunes because it never showed up. I see the previous series is there now, but the release dates are 2 months past what Wikipedia shows.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Toe Rag posted:

Is this on BBC America or something? Or I guess you guys could be British/not American. I stopped looking on iTunes because it never showed up. I see the previous series is there now, but the release dates are 2 months past what Wikipedia shows.

The new shows will be on in the US on BBCA in July according to the commercial.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
You can't understand the new hosts.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
So-called new old Top Gear starting off strong with a cheap car challenge.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah pretty strong start with the fresh blood. Putting Harris up against a couple blokes from up north instantly makes him the little dweeb of the bunch, and it works great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That was really good.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That was really good.

Yeah, especially since it was the first episode for 2/3 of them. It's too bad we had to lose LeBlanc, but these guys seem alright.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I'm honestly finding myself less and less interested in the super/hyper car review segments. I don't really care that a new car that costs more than my house can get to 60 or 100 mph a second quicker than another car that costs slightly less but still more than my house. At least they didn't bother showing them drive round the track for the timed laps this time. A lot of these review segments seem to be the same, it's a fast car, costs a lot of money, technically road legal but uncomfortable and impractical to drive, they shaved 90 g off by doing something, "controversially" they prefer the car that's "not as good" on paper.

Cheap car challenge was great and the chemistry between the three of them looks to be off to a good start. I always thought it works better with three presenters for challenges and such so I never quite got why Rory was hardly ever allowed to join in with Matt and Chris in the last series.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

I'm honestly finding myself less and less interested in the super/hyper car review segments. I don't really care that a new car that costs more than my house can get to 60 or 100 mph a second quicker than another car that costs slightly less but still more than my house. At least they didn't bother showing them drive round the track for the timed laps this time. A lot of these review segments seem to be the same, it's a fast car, costs a lot of money, technically road legal but uncomfortable and impractical to drive, they shaved 90 g off by doing something, "controversially" they prefer the car that's "not as good" on paper.

Cheap car challenge was great and the chemistry between the three of them looks to be off to a good start. I always thought it works better with three presenters for challenges and such so I never quite got why Rory was hardly ever allowed to join in with Matt and Chris in the last series.

Yeah even when watching Grand Tour I skip over the car reviews, I'll never be able to afford anything better than a Miata so I couldn't give a poo poo about super car reviews. I'm just interested in cheap car challenges and road trips.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
If they can get a good construction challenge going on this series, then we'll be talking.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug
These guys have an awesome big brother picking on little brother chemistry already. Way more fun than the last crew. I love how boisterous they are. I hope they do a few epic road trips like the old crew.

I also love how they engage the guests on the show in challenges fun before they do the laps. I love how they put the full stig lap online in a proper POV so you get a better sense of speed and the track layout.

They've done some really clever stuff this time around. Well done.

Here's the lap from this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2H5l7SgIN4

Seik fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 1, 2019

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I was hoping that they were scraping the (in my opinion) boring driving a car round the track with playing silly games with the celebs instead. Much more entertaining, but no such luck.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The wife and I were both put off by this most recent episode's over the top picking on Chris. You could see in the segment where they juice the watermelon on his head that he is in no way happy about this. And not in a fun, joking way - it really looked like he was about to cry.

The picking on each other has to be in jest and between friends or it is just mean and turns me off.

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

The wife and I were both put off by this most recent episode's over the top picking on Chris. You could see in the segment where they juice the watermelon on his head that he is in no way happy about this. And not in a fun, joking way - it really looked like he was about to cry.

The picking on each other has to be in jest and between friends or it is just mean and turns me off.

He could be lying, but:

https://twitter.com/harrismonkey/status/1145723585887166464

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It's TV, and whatever anyone says, it's 99% scripted and produced. If the dynamic they've created is putting some viewers off, they might have to consider changing it slightly so it seems less mean-spirited or whatever even if it's not actually mean-spirited.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I mean it could absolutely have been the editing and the other two episodes were bloody great but it looks like I wasn't alone in thinking that this particular part of the third episode was pretty uncomfortable.

It sucked because I was loving this new season up until that point. Like OK guys, great job spending most of your time tearing poo poo out of Chris's car but the whole point of these dumb top gear challenges is the 'actually testing cars, just in insanely stupid and harebrained ways' part and this seemed to turn into 'hahahaha look we just ruined chris's chances instead of being inventive with our own vehicles' which is either just mean, or bad directing, or bad editing, or some combo of those. Felt very highschool to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I think it would be better if it felt more equal. There's a few digs at Freddie being for being a bit dumb, but most of the stuff seems to be aimed at Chris getting embarrassed, like wearing that sweater in a desert, or being shocked while drinking milk. The "let's empty it" was definitely verging on mean spirited. In the old Top Gear one of the drivers would have pulled up right behind the other so they couldn't open the hatch instead of what happened there.