Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Score! Thanks man!

:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Yeah that was good. I've never tried that noodle place, I'd like to give it a go.

Haven’t watched the video but those shumais and dim sum dumplings on a skewer look like rear end

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Haven’t watched the video but those shumais and dim sum dumplings on a skewer look like rear end

Yeah, those panda baos are terrible too. Most of the street vendor stuff is pretty second rate in Yokohama. The stuff in Ikebukuro is a lot better imo. A lot of the restaurants are good though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This is the 焼き小籠包 place that Magna liked so much I think. I certainly did when I went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw1U174OWDU&t=300s

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
jesus christ i am going to gain 400 lbs when i go to japan

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

arisu posted:

On the contrary, you're gonna do so much walking that you're gonna lose weight despite how much you eat.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Sounds like a challenge to me.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

arisu posted:

chanko nabe every meal. you too could be the next gaijin sumo star

japan status: chilling with tea and kotatsu. it’s not really cold enough for the kotatsu but I’m damned if I’m going to have a room with one and not use it

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

US. In Cambodia they wanted ( to keep) a physical photo for my Visa. I wasn't sure about Japan.

Forgive me that I am not a travel master for thr first time I go overseas.

How is it your first time overseas but you are from the US and went to Cambodia?

Anyway to answer your question, no, they take your photo on your way in and you don’t need anything but your passport.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LyonsLions posted:

How is it your first time overseas but you are from the US and went to Cambodia?

I think he means this is the first time he has gone overseas, currently, right now

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The Great Autismo! posted:

I think he means this is the first time he has gone overseas, currently, right now

Yep. In Siem Reap as I type.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Hey thread! Heading back to Japan from Australia with my waifu on the 20th and hitting Kyoto, Hiroshima, Sapporo and Tokyo. Already posted some Sapporo specific stuff but I'm gonna be posting all week leading up to the flight with random requests. Sorry y'all. We've both been before but not with each other. Our main goals are to eat and drink lots of cool stuff.

I'd like to know about cool Japanese dishes other than sushi and ramen that we wouldn't have tried in Western Japanese resteraunts. Neither of us are huge on seafood, but enjoy crab and stuff like that more than fish. Last time I went I really enjoyed Izakaya food in particular, tried cool stuff like chicken arteries skewer and beef tataki that you wouldn't get here. I'd love to know more about great Izakayas, the dishes and etiquette for them.

I'm big on craft beer, any cool destinations/breweries/brands I should look out for?

We'd also like to try some old school Japanese cocktail/jazz/piano/speakeasy kinda bars, any cool recommendations? A friend suggested Little Smith in Ginza? Also, what are dress requirements for these kinda venues? My partner and I are both moderately heavily tattooed, and I was only planning on traveling with a pair of vans.

Finally, my partner is not as nerdy as me so I won't be trawling arcades so much this time. Are there any cool kinda barcadey things around? She would probably get in to it if we can drink and ots not just dudes. Otherwise, any really retro arcades? Last time I went to an arcade somewhere in Tokyo where the top level was all old shmups including like raizing/8ing stuff. Anyone know where that was lol? If I only have time to hit one arcade I'd like it to be that one or something similar.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

field balm posted:

Hey thread! Heading back to Japan from Australia with my waifu on the 20th and hitting Kyoto, Hiroshima, Sapporo and Tokyo. Already posted some Sapporo specific stuff but I'm gonna be posting all week leading up to the flight with random requests. Sorry y'all. We've both been before but not with each other. Our main goals are to eat and drink lots of cool stuff.

I'd like to know about cool Japanese dishes other than sushi and ramen that we wouldn't have tried in Western Japanese resteraunts. Neither of us are huge on seafood, but enjoy crab and stuff like that more than fish. Last time I went I really enjoyed Izakaya food in particular, tried cool stuff like chicken arteries skewer and beef tataki that you wouldn't get here. I'd love to know more about great Izakayas, the dishes and etiquette for them.

I'm big on craft beer, any cool destinations/breweries/brands I should look out for?

We'd also like to try some old school Japanese cocktail/jazz/piano/speakeasy kinda bars, any cool recommendations? A friend suggested Little Smith in Ginza? Also, what are dress requirements for these kinda venues? My partner and I are both moderately heavily tattooed, and I was only planning on traveling with a pair of vans.

Finally, my partner is not as nerdy as me so I won't be trawling arcades so much this time. Are there any cool kinda barcadey things around? She would probably get in to it if we can drink and ots not just dudes. Otherwise, any really retro arcades? Last time I went to an arcade somewhere in Tokyo where the top level was all old shmups including like raizing/8ing stuff. Anyone know where that was lol? If I only have time to hit one arcade I'd like it to be that one or something similar.

• Izakaya: I'm sure there may be some recommendations, but just about any chain one without smoking will be fine to good quality.
  • Other foods not really found overseas: Okonomiyaki is my usual go-to in this regard, but also hot pot (nabe or shabu-shabu) is a good option.
  • Breweries: there are a lot that are growing but only a few that really have some major traction. Yona Yona has a few different brewpubs scattered around Tokyo. Hitachino Nest is also a good choice if you can find their stuff.
  • Arcades: The "Barcade" trend hasn't really hit at all in Japan, and the few "gaming bars" that do exist are in some trouble with copyright law. A good one if you have time is Mikado in Takadanobaba, which has two floors and lots of good hardcore old games.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Baba has a Baird Taproom as well so y'all can kill two birds with one stone.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

harperdc posted:

• Izakaya: I'm sure there may be some recommendations, but just about any chain one without smoking will be fine to good quality.
  • Other foods not really found overseas: Okonomiyaki is my usual go-to in this regard, but also hot pot (nabe or shabu-shabu) is a good option.
  • Breweries: there are a lot that are growing but only a few that really have some major traction. Yona Yona has a few different brewpubs scattered around Tokyo. Hitachino Nest is also a good choice if you can find their stuff.
  • Arcades: The "Barcade" trend hasn't really hit at all in Japan, and the few "gaming bars" that do exist are in some trouble with copyright law. A good one if you have time is Mikado in Takadanobaba, which has two floors and lots of good hardcore old games.

Thanks for the detailed response! My partner is very excited about the okonomiyaki in Hiroshima which she says is excellent, I've never really had it so I will make sure to indulge. Nabe looks great too! I kinda figured that barcades wouldnt be a thing, what with all the actual arcades.

Thanks for the brewery names too guys. Keep 'em coming!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Gotta shill for Genkai

It’s really special chicken soup and can’t have it elsewhere.

Or amakusa.

Little smith is good, ask for bar tender yuta, and that you are a friend of Abe-san.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

field balm posted:

Thanks for the detailed response! My partner is very excited about the okonomiyaki in Hiroshima which she says is excellent, I've never really had it so I will make sure to indulge. Nabe looks great too! I kinda figured that barcades wouldnt be a thing, what with all the actual arcades.

Thanks for the brewery names too guys. Keep 'em coming!

Yeah Hiroshima okonomiyaki is the best IMO.

Also, I recommend going to a Musashi at some point in Hiroshima, either while out shopping or as something to grab and take back to the room. They have bento and stuff, and it's loving delish. Hiroshima only though.

For a fancy lunch, we went to Alambic with my mother-in-law and it was really good as well. http://www.alambic.jp/shops/sanbi/

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 13, 2019

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Once I dropped the deadweight off at the airport, I sucked on Strong Zero's and then went to the Hub where I got absolutely smashed while chatting up salary men.

Should have just gone alone from the start.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
More like should have picked better people at the start and not go for 1 month trip when they have barely experience.

But hey celebrate your freedom! You should hit up some goons in Tokyo

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
lol you went to the bar famous for gaijin hunters and chatted up salarymen? LIVE my good man

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there a decent OTC (brand name is fine too) for ranitidine over there? I just realized I’m running out of Zantac.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ask your hotel front staff? Good luck!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

caberham posted:

More like should have picked better people at the start and not go for 1 month trip when they have barely experience.

But hey celebrate your freedom! You should hit up some goons in Tokyo

Oh yeah. Thats definitely on me and I accept full responsibility for this gently caress up. But now that I am free.. any goon wanna hang any evening from now until the 28th in Tokyo?

BB2K posted:

lol you went to the bar famous for gaijin hunters and chatted up salarymen? LIVE my good man

If you got advice I am willing to listen. Last time people told me to go to Ni chome but thats full of foreigners...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I’m in Kyoto from 22 to 26, Tokyo from 26 to 28.

Schedule is kind of full this time sorry but maybe catch coffee or something? I would love to hear you rant about crazy dumb Dutch girl in person

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

Is there a decent OTC (brand name is fine too) for ranitidine over there? I just realized I’m running out of Zantac.

No there isn't, and you should absolutely be bringing any drugs you think you might need, up to and including pain killers or anti histimines.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

caberham posted:

I’m in Kyoto from 22 to 26, Tokyo from 26 to 28.

Schedule is kind of full this time sorry but maybe catch coffee or something? I would love to hear you rant about crazy dumb Dutch girl in person

My plane leaves on the 28, so if you 've got time in those 2 days then sure. I'm always down for coffee.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

sounds like there's generics of it as well as name brands, you would want to ask at a drug store for ラニチジン. I think it's sold under Zantac here too.

[edit] listen to Stringent's advice, the last thing you want to do is have to acquire medicine you need on the ground. Stock up at home and bring enough.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

caberham posted:

Ask your hotel front staff? Good luck!

Naw, just need to find a pharmacy. I know there’s pharmacies, I bought stuff from them in Yakuza :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Stringent posted:

No there isn't, and you should absolutely be bringing any drugs you think you might need, up to and including pain killers or anti histimines.

Hm. Balls. It’s for acid reflux so I’m not gonna die, but still.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Archer666 posted:

Oh yeah. Thats definitely on me and I accept full responsibility for this gently caress up. But now that I am free.. any goon wanna hang any evening from now until the 28th in Tokyo?

If you got advice I am willing to listen. Last time people told me to go to Ni chome but thats full of foreigners...

Everywhere is foreigners.

But there is almost always someone down to hit Shibuya Hub.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

harperdc posted:

sounds like there's generics of it as well as name brands, you would want to ask at a drug store for ラニチジン. I think it's sold under Zantac here too.

[edit] listen to Stringent's advice, the last thing you want to do is have to acquire medicine you need on the ground. Stock up at home and bring enough.

I got the ラニチジン part, and I’m pretty confident I can find it on the shelves. Just need to find a place.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I got the ラニチジン part, and I’m pretty confident I can find it on the shelves. Just need to find a place.

:allears:

If you know you're running out now get more in advance, are you serious Pollyanna

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Stringent posted:

This is the 焼き小籠包 place that Magna liked so much I think. I certainly did when I went.

before i moved to Shanghai I'd go there to get shengjian bao every time I was in Tokyo cuz this place was way better than anywhere in Sichuan where I lived at the time.

I also love the video capturing the perfect first time eating those experience of biting in and getting the broth everywhere and burning your mouth~

If you're coming from anywhere I'd still recommend this place since for whatever reason shengjian bao are rarely found outside of like zhejiang/shanghai regions in China. Why xiaolongbao got so big but shengjianbao didn't will forever be a mystery to me.

poo poo now i want shengjianbao

e: the thing they eat after the shengjianbao isn't tofu on a stick it's it's roasted 面筋, otherwise known as seitan

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 13, 2019

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

For Kyoto:
-L'Escamoteur (Bar at Takase river)
-Iyemon Salon(cafe by Suntory tea)
-Tamakitei Bakery

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

Just watched this video, mother fucker fried soup dumplings is not only a Shanghai thing. It's all over in Eastern China and Zhejiang

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

Confident and wrong, trust me you 100% want to bring any drugs you'll want to take while you're here with you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Just watched this video, mother fucker fried soup dumplings is not only a Shanghai thing. It's all over in Eastern China and Zhejiang

lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Many OTC medications in the US are prescription-only in Japan. Some are also OTC at very high prices, and shops are only open 9am-8pm.

Deodorant, too. American-strength deodorant is not widely available yet. If in doubt, double up.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Guys I literally don’t understand how train tickets work, also my parents are sperging about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Buying drugs in a foreign country? Psssh I’m sure it will work out