Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

Speaking of inverted characters, did Sabretooth get back to being evil again?

Yeah, at the end of Weapon X he sacrificed himself to get his son's soul out of hell and out of spite the devil brought him back to life but un-inverted him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Read a bunch of books yesterday while sick:

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers vols 1-2: Really good, I liked the Secret Wars tie-in part too but it was a bit too clipped. Do the two people working the call center come back in some capacity? I read Ewing's New Avengers -> U.S.Avengers run and didn't see them there
AXIS: Hobgoblin & Carnage: Hobgoblin was hilarious from start to finish. Wonder what happened to the Goblin King after? Carnage was funny but also kinda sad? I would be down if they were inverted for good, but alas.

To answer your questions in order:

• No, the call center folks never return
  • Slott had Norman Osborn (fused with the Carnage symbiote called ugh the Red Goblin) kill the Goblin King
  • It's a looong story, but he recently got his brain fried and took a quick trip to hell, and was last seen as a feral beast in the Canadian wilderness. Presumably that's the end of the road for Inverted Sabretooth and when he next appears he'll just be evil again.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

TwoPair posted:

To answer your questions in order:

• No, the call center folks never return
  • Slott had Norman Osborn (fused with the Carnage symbiote called ugh the Red Goblin) kill the Goblin King
  • It's a looong story, but he recently got his brain fried and took a quick trip to hell, and was last seen as a feral beast in the Canadian wilderness. Presumably that's the end of the road for Inverted Sabretooth and when he next appears he'll just be evil again.

Okay I'm sad about 1 and 3, good riddance on 2 though

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sabertooth is in the black widow mini and he's... chaotic neutral maybe??

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

Read a bunch of books yesterday while sick:

Captain America and the Mighty Avengers vols 1-2: Really good, I liked the Secret Wars tie-in part too but it was a bit too clipped. Do the two people working the call center come back in some capacity? I read Ewing's New Avengers -> U.S.Avengers run and didn't see them there
AXIS: Hobgoblin & Carnage: Hobgoblin was hilarious from start to finish. Wonder what happened to the Goblin King after? Carnage was funny but also kinda sad? I would be down if they were inverted for good, but alas.

Obivously spoiler it for those who don't know, what's the lineup for Cap's team this time? Any curveballs, like adding Doug Ramsey or Hank McCoy returning or some poo poo?

site posted:

Sabertooth is in the black widow mini and he's... chaotic neutral maybe??

When Duggan used him in Deadpool he went from leading the Hand to being sorta chaotic good, he was actually trying to help Wade and explain what happened with Wade's folks

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 12, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Obivously spoiler it for those who don't know, what's the lineup for Cap's team this time? Any curveballs, like adding Doug Ramsey or Hank McCoy returning or some poo poo?

When Duggan used him in Deadpool he went from leading the Hand to being sorta chaotic good, he was actually trying to help Wade and explain what happened with Wade's folks

He's talking about Ewing's run from before Secret Wars. So it's Falcon Cap, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, She-Hulk, Blue Marvel, Monica Rambau, that younger Power Man and a female White Tiger. Luke and Cap start inverted from Axis, but that's done with in the first 3 issues or so.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
This Death's Head miniseries looks good, yes?

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/writer-tini-howard-will-put-death-s-head-through-an-existential-crisis-this-july

Rad Variant:

Interior page - Wiccan's outfit!! :allears:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did Hulkling (?) push past him, and then also somehow dress both of them in their costumes?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

IUG posted:

Did Hulkling (?) push past him, and then also somehow dress both of them in their costumes?

I mean, the one's a shapeshifter and the other's a wizard, so... maybe? It's not impossible?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IUG posted:

The previous panel is them going into a restroom to change, then it's them bursting out in costume. I'm sorry they didn't show you them changing over several panels.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

The previous panel is them going into a restroom to change, then it's them bursting out in costume. I'm sorry they didn't show you them changing over several panels.

The third panel shows one guy halfway through the door frame, and the next panel shows them in the same doorway, but in different clothes, and in different positions. (I didn't know one of them is a shape shifter, but still.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

IUG posted:

The third panel shows one guy halfway through the door frame, and the next panel shows them in the same doorway, but in different clothes, and in different positions. (I didn't know one of them is a shape shifter, but still.)

Panel three is them entering the bathroom, shown from the interior of the bathroom. Time passes, and panel four is them exiting the bathroom, shown from the exterior, after having changed.

E: or maybe you're right? Now I'm second guessing myself.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Panel three is them entering the bathroom, shown from the interior of the bathroom. Time passes, and panel four is them exiting the bathroom, shown from the exterior, after having changed.

E: or maybe you're right? Now I'm second guessing myself.

Ah, then that would make sense. I agree with your first line. They probably saw the guy, and then kicked back into the bathroom to change, and then left it in panel four. I didn't notice in the third panel that they probably went back into the bathroom, not exiting the little hallway they were located in panel 1. I bet the coloring will help differentiate the hallway/room.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Panel three would have been better served if you were watching them enter the bathroom from behind, showing that they’re making a temporary retreat, and it makes the next panel with the costume reveal look more triumphant.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so in my constant adhd reading shifts ive moved over to re-reading hickmans avengers and yesterday i finished infinity. the whole builder war thing just still feels so epic and it's so much fun to read, and i LOVE leinil francis yu's art in avengers. but, and i dunno why i didnt seem to pick up on this before, the whole thanos story seems...not really that good? like, its gets so pointless i read this panel from when the intergalactic avengers are returning home and couldnt help but bust out laughing at how even hickman seems to have just thrown up his hands and said whatever to the whole thing

i vaguely remember here once saying that it was like hickman wrote in that whole plot as an afterthought or because editorial wanted it and he had to figure out a way to cram it into this other thing he was doing and i now i get that sentiment

a couple of other things

spider-man and wolverine just like disappear completely about halfway through the story lol

iron man has some real ugly armor at some points

if you can find the digital hardcover i would definity recommend that, it combines all of new avengers, avengers, infinity, and the silver surfer backups in correct reading order it's real solid, i just wish it had the variants in the back to look at

yu draws some serious badonk

site fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 16, 2019

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot
Squirrel Girl's War of the Realms Crossover issue needs more love.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

spider-man and wolverine just like disappear completely about halfway through the story lol

Yeah Avengers kind of suffers a lot from being in a shared universe. Wolverine dies, Doc Ock takes over Spider-Man partway through (though Superior Spider-Man does get like, a few more good scenes before disappearing), Thor stops being worthy, etc, etc. I feel like Hickman would've done more with some of those characters if they hadn't been changing constantly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah Avengers kind of suffers a lot from being in a shared universe. Wolverine dies, Doc Ock takes over Spider-Man partway through (though Superior Spider-Man does get like, a few more good scenes before disappearing), Thor stops being worthy, etc, etc. I feel like Hickman would've done more with some of those characters if they hadn't been changing constantly.

I agree with the rest, but I thought the Thor thing was well done, with the evil hammer and him and Hyporean facing the Beyonders and him dropping the evil hammer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

at least thor doesnt become unworthy until after the builder war, so we get that amazing scene of the hammer flying around a star and killing the builder that sparks the comeback

and yeah ^^^, thor finally becoming worthy again just as he's about to face the beyonders was a great moment (that's not until much later than where i'm at tho)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I really wish they were having Hickman doing with the X-Men what he did with Avengers instead of just 2 minis.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

I really wish they were having Hickman doing with the X-Men what he did with Avengers instead of just 2 minis.

Hickman said he's already been working on his X-Men stuff for a year and those minis have been done a while. I am sure that he'll have something else spinning out of those minis. They didn't bring Hickman back to have him gone again in a couple months.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

i mean im sure that since he is doing two minis they will be intertwined like avengers/na and xfinity will be announced in the coming months

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

i mean im sure that since he is doing two minis they will be intertwined like avengers/na and xfinity will be announced in the coming months

Two six issue minis alternating for 12 straight weeks.

If anyone thinks Hickman's been working on X-Men for a year now to have it all release over 12 weeks then I guess they haven't read much Hickman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Hickman said he's already been working on his X-Men stuff for a year and those minis have been done a while. I am sure that he'll have something else spinning out of those minis. They didn't bring Hickman back to have him gone again in a couple months.

They had Warren Ellis do that a bunch. Write six really good issues of something as a re-launch then have someone else take over (Iron Man, Moon Knight, I guess he did 12 issues of Thunderbolts).

Unless they're canceling Uncanny or moving Hickman to it when the minis are done I don't think it's going to be as defining a run as his F4 and Avengers.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Hickman might stay for another event soon after this, or he could be getting a longer run at the start of, say, a new adjectiveless X-Men title.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TwoPair posted:

The beginning of New Avengers was originally written with Professor X instead of Beast being in the team. And since an important plot point is Cap being mind wiped, it kind of shows. It would have been fascinating to see how the series would have gone with Charles present instead of Hank.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

They had Warren Ellis do that a bunch. Write six really good issues of something as a re-launch then have someone else take over (Iron Man, Moon Knight, I guess he did 12 issues of Thunderbolts).

Unless they're canceling Uncanny or moving Hickman to it when the minis are done I don't think it's going to be as defining a run as his F4 and Avengers.
I'm not really 100% any of those besides Moon Knight were designed to be this.

Ellis/Granov's Iron Man was announced in the summer of 2004 and then took well over a year for those first six issues to come out.

Iron Man #1 - 11/10/2004
Iron Man #2 - 12/29/2004
Iron Man #3 - 01/26/2005
Iron Man #4 - 08/10/2005
Iron Man #5 - 01/04/2006
Iron Man #6 - 03/29/2006

To put this in perspective in terms of "shared universe/creative summit" Marvel stuff that is a big part of planning/publishing if you're trying to do shared universes/align big story beats with movies coming out/etc. (which for good or ill, largely ill, is how Marvel has operated for the past 20+ years) Iron Man #1 came out the same month as the first issue of Ed Brubaker/Steve Epting's Captain America and Brian Michael Bendis/David Finch's New Avengers #1.

By the time that Extremis wrapped up, Captain America had reintroduced and deprogrammed Bucky, House of M had come and gone, and Bendis had introduced the Illuminati and "The Road to Civil War" banners were popping up on comics. Everyone had to kind of write around the resolution of Ellis's story/Iron Man having Extremis armor forever. Then the book went to the Knaufs which seemed out of nowhere and also as you can see from this announcement call (which is happening in the midst of pre-production of the Iron Man movie, the first project from Marvel Studios that everyone thought was really risky because who cares about Iron Man?) there is a palpable sense of kidding-on-the-square about how they just want someone who can pump out a monthly Iron Man comic to have on the shelves until they figure out what direction they really want to go in.

Thunderbolts is another one that in collected form looks like a short little cohesive run but actually went:

Thunderbolts #110 - 01/10/2007
Thunderbolts #111 - 02/14/2007
Thunderbolts #112 - 03/14/2007
Thunderbolts #113 - 04/11/2007
Thunderbolts #114 - 05/09/2007
Thunderbolts #115 - 06/27/2007
-First arc out and on time!
Thunderbolts #116 - 08/08/2007
Thunderbolts #117 - 10/24/2007
Thunderbolts #118 - 01/04/2008
Thunderbolts #119 - 03/12/2008
Thunderbolts #120 - 05/14/2008
Thunderbolts #121 - 06/25/2008

Then the delays kicked in for the second arc, Ellis was announced as taking some time off while Christos Gage wrote the Secret Invasion tie-ins (Gage was also writing the fill-in one shots that Marvel threw together to fill in the gaps in the publishing schedule created by Ellis's Thunderbolts effectively turning bimonthly) and then afterwards... Ellis was gone and Andy Diggle was re-revamping the team.

The other thing about all of these -- and I know this is the Warren Ellis Party Line, the whole Mad Scientist Reinventing Characters and Unleashing Them Into the World -- is I don't really know how much of any of these reimaginings extend that far outside of Ellis's run. Outside of some gorgeous Declan Shalvey art, what did Ellis add to Moon Knight? What has carried through to the comics featuring Moon Knight that have come since? The closest thing to an actual example of this that I can think of was Ellis's "Counter X" thing from circa 2000, where he really did co-write a few issues of those C-tier X-Books before letting other people do the remaining issues.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This thing:

Turns out to be Annuals where characters fight a villain outside of their usual Marvel realm. They don't sound interconnected or that there's some overarching story.
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/04/16/first-look-marvel-comics-begins-acts-of-evil-this-july/

Snooze.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

This thing:

Turns out to be Annuals where characters fight a villain outside of their usual Marvel realm. They don't sound interconnected or that there's some overarching story.
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/04/16/first-look-marvel-comics-begins-acts-of-evil-this-july/

Snooze.

Yeah, I didn't see Venom vs. Lady Hellbender coming because who the gently caress is Lady Hellbender?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwVB3gSnuXM/

Looks like Scotty Young is done with Deadpool now (if "wrapped" means what I think it does). Which is fine by me, as I thought it was one of the worst runs after Way's back half of his writing. I love Young's work in other stuff (I hope you all are reading Middlewest), but he didn't see to be able to pick up Deadpool well.

I haven't looked at previews in a while. Does anyone know who is writing after him?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/1118263406933368833

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, I didn't see Venom vs. Lady Hellbender coming because who the gently caress is Lady Hellbender?

A giant alien monster hunter who looks like a stacked female bodybuilder in a one-piece swimsuit, from Greg Pak's Totally Awesome Hulk.

Blatantly the kind of character he came up with in five minutes after finding out he was working with Frank Cho.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

A giant alien monster hunter who looks like a stacked female bodybuilder in a one-piece swimsuit, from Greg Pak's Totally Awesome Hulk.

Blatantly the kind of character he came up with in five minutes after finding out he was working with Frank Cho.

If you're working with Frank Cho you figure out how to have dinosaurs and muscular women in swimsuits.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
jefferson truly has the worst star wars opinions

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

"Greedo shot first" is not as bad as the current version of "Greedo and Han shot at the same time"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, ASM continues to be great. Spencer actually acknowledged Shed & Clone Conspiracy and managed to make it work.

Also :tviv: Life Story was great.

Magnificent Ms. Marvel was also cool and good.

I'm sad to see West Coast Avengers go, but I did like how they handled the abruptness of it.

site posted:

jefferson truly has the worst star wars opinions

Further proof if it was even required that ITSV Jefferson is the one true Jefferson.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Edge & Christian posted:

It's presumably The House of Ideas, since the license plate was SML JKK for Stan "The Man" Lee / Jack "King" Kirby

good call

e: dunno why they decided to depower monica and why they still dont want to just have voyager be on earth as another hero. but im assuming ewing at least made the decision on monica so maybe he has plans for that

site fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 17, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m appreciating Logan just going about his life as normal, everyone asking him why he’s not dead anymore, and him just going nah. It’s happened in a few books and the simplicity of just not giving a poo poo this person was dead for a while just really sells that this is normal in the Marvel universe.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

site posted:

good call

e: dunno why they decided to depower monica and why they still dont want to just have voyager be on earth as another hero. but im assuming ewing at least made the decision on monica so maybe he has plans for that

Gonna go out on a wild limb and say it's so she can get her powers whenever Captain Marvel 2 hits theaters. And/or so that when she regains her powers, it's in a manner that will match up better with the MCU (and as such will probably involve Carol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yessssssss!

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1118666257736269824