Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

charity rereg posted:

Season 1 is way more of a mixed bag than it gets credit for tonally. "Bart the Genius" "The Call of the Simpsons" "The Telltale Head" & "The Crepes of Wrath" are pretty canonical episodes that have a lot of good material, and "Life on the Fast Lane," is just a loving good episode and I've quoted the poo poo out of it for 20 years.

Yeah, it's worth watching, but only with the context of what the show would become. If someone told me they had never seen any Simpsons at all and wanted to know why people liked it so much, I would not start them with season 1, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Season 8 is not only Classic Simpsons, its the best drat season of the show. That's Hank Scorpio territory.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I was gonna say Season 1 was when you got long stretches of Albert Brooks improv'ing as various memorable one-off characters, but lol he's Hank Scorpio too

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I was gonna say Season 1 was when you got long stretches of Albert Brooks improv'ing as various memorable one-off characters, but lol he's Hank Scorpio too

The "hammock" bit is too memorable. It's just Dan Castellaneta reacting to Albert Brooks. "Oh, the hammock district!"

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Season 8 is not only Classic Simpsons, its the best drat season of the show. That's Hank Scorpio territory.

Wasn't season 8 when the writers all thought it would be the last one, so they decided to just go nuts with things?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What are the official, authorized, "good" seasons of the Simpsons?

1-11

1 has some really deep, melancholy stuff that couldn't really be called "comedy" but thematically the episodes are well composed and pretty tightly written.

Things that are jarring about S1 compared to subsequent seasons:

-The voices aren't there yet
-Ombre gradient backgrounds
-Background characters with Bart and Lisa's distinctive hairline/silhouettes
-Characters with overall designs that are out of place with the show's world/awkward, particularly eyes
-Animation overall is pretty choppy
-Constant sound of shuffling footsteps
-Black Smithers

I can't remember how prominent the "twist" was (when a character's eyes and mouth would move in opposite directions) but it took several seasons to go away- it went down to once per act, then once per show, then disappeared completely.

fake edit: LOL v

wikipedia posted:

Mike Scully has stated his goal during his tenure was to "not wreck the show"

Al Jean: hold my Duff

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

why isn't vader's lightsaber red

Also they hosed up the layers or something and after the first cut the whole family shifts upwards. look at their feet relative to the sidewalk

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Riptor posted:

I'm going to guess it's a "gag" about the Simpsons' skin being yellow or something like that

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Riptor posted:

Also they hosed up the layers or something and after the first cut the whole family shifts upwards. look at their feet relative to the sidewalk

Holy cow. It's such a slight difference but now I can't unsee it, and because of the perspective, it makes them seem more gigantic in the second picture.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Honestly wondering if the show can fall any further than it has. At their worst, the Disney Star Wars movies are still better than the prequels.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Can't wait until they move Simpsons World out of Universal.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Season 1 is good but it's practically a different show.

Season 8 has:

Hank Scorpio
Burlesque House
The Halloween episode with Dr. Hibbert punching Bart and Clinton Dole aliens
Milhouse's parents divorce
Sherry-Bobbins
Homer as the Beer Baron
SEX CAULDRON?
Mr. Sparkle

and I know someone people dont care for it but I loving love the X-Files one

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
imo, about midway through season 3 up until the end of season 8 is essentially an unbroken run of solid gold episodes. there's some great ones before and after, but the quality started to plummet when Phil Hartman died. probably the last decent episode is either HOMR or the Behind the Laughter (i forget which order they appear in). the episode where they go to the superbowl is where i mark where the show gets more bad than good

Mind Loving Owl
Sep 5, 2012

The regeneration is failing! Hooooo...

charity rereg posted:

"The Telltale Head"

Now I'm imagining some time traveller writing an early Simpsons episode about the tragic mismanagement of a small but respected video game company that took on way too much too fast.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

imo, about midway through season 3 up until the end of season 8 is essentially an unbroken run of solid gold episodes. there's some great ones before and after, but the quality started to plummet when Phil Hartman died. probably the last decent episode is either HOMR or the Behind the Laughter (i forget which order they appear in). the episode where they go to the superbowl is where i mark where the show gets more bad than good

Behind the Laughter was S11, HOMR was S12. I put Behind the Laughter as the final cutoff point of good simpsons. Even HOMR, which has some decent one off gags, is mostly a really stupid episode and fits right into the bad era.

S11 is pretty average overall at its best but there is some decent stuff in there.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I don't know when it started, but in The Computer Wore Menace Shoes I always notice how even the music is very different from classic seasons.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

when Phil Hartman died

Only time I've been legitimately sad about a celebrity death. That was seriously hosed up for 13 year old me. Can't believe it was over 20 years ago now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Phil Hartman's death hosed me up not only because I was a huge fan of Newsradio & The Simpsons, but also because I was the same age as his kids when he was murdered so I thought a lot about how their lives were affected. Same with OJ Simpson's kids, although I wasn't a fan of his or anything.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

maybe Disney can pump some of their live action Aladdin bucks into the animation budget.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

In my opinions, the cracks were starting to show in the foundation in Season 7. The episode where Bart was driving to the World’s Fair was the first sign to me that things were starting to go in a bad direction when I was watching the episodes as they premiered.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Experiment posted:

In my opinions, the cracks were starting to show in the foundation in Season 7. The episode where Bart was driving to the World’s Fair was the first sign to me that things were starting to go in a bad direction when I was watching the episodes as they premiered.

That episode has more characterization than entire seasons, it has “and then I will murder him” and then it has ANDY WILLIAMS.

Like are you even watching it?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Worlds fair is a top ten episode of all time.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Yeah world’s fair was an awesome ep.

“Oh boy, Flipsy! You and I are going on a road trip!”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
When is the one where Homer becomes morbidly obese? I always skip that one on rewatch because it feels weirdly dark and mean-spirited. The whole town almost dies, Marge has to painfully confess to Homer she doesn’t find him attractive anymore, the mumus the whole episode just bums me out. I’d believe it was dead center golden age but if you told me it was S9-11 It’d make more sense.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Bust Rodd posted:

When is the one where Homer becomes morbidly obese? I always skip that one on rewatch because it feels weirdly dark and mean-spirited. The whole town almost dies, Marge has to painfully confess to Homer she doesn’t find him attractive anymore, the mumus the whole episode just bums me out. I’d believe it was dead center golden age but if you told me it was S9-11 It’d make more sense.

That's an all time classic as well. What the gently caress is wrong with this thread.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The_Rob posted:

That's an all time classic as well. What the gently caress is wrong with this thread.

It's a mock thread so people have to keep finding new lows even if there are none.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

That's an oustanding episode.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

The Bible posted:

That's an oustanding episode.

kills me every time

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think the hot takes aren't "World's Fair and Obese Homer are bad episodes" but rather, they're a fairly different tone compared to the rest of the show. World's Fair is distinctly more cartoony than much of the series previously - Nobody would believe a ten year old is a twenty one year old and rent them a car, then Bart somehow gets a courier job and goes to China?? The only episodes as cartoony that came before are probably obese Homer and Monorail. They're all fuckin funny episodes, but they are quite different from what came before. I could understand why that might rub some folks the wrong way.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I don't want The Simpsons to be realistic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haha remember when Homer was tranq-darted and examined by scientists and they couldn’t decide whether he was human

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

You goons don't know what you want. That's why you're still goons, cause you're stupid.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I only just recently started following this thread but jesus gently caress please tell me people in here at least consider the Stonecutter's episode to be the one of the best if not the best Simpsons episode?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Absolutely do not watch the Poochy episode with commentary turned on, the writers get a bit salty.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Absolutely do not watch the Poochy episode with commentary turned on, the writers get a bit salty.

I only have seasons 3, 4, and 5 on DVD but those commentary tracks are absolutely sublime.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Do listen to the Talking Simpsons episode on it though.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's been a while since I listened to it, but I think their frustration on the Poochie commentary is warranted. This was back when the show was still good, yet you still had entitled nerds online trashing everything they did. This, of course, is what drove their later position that the show is still good in the post-classic seasons and how everyone who disagrees are clearly just comic book guys.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
do either of u feel like summarising so we dont have to listen to a three hour podcast about a twenty minute episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I remember the first time i saw a classic, very funny episode and well, that's when i knew the show was done.