Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I know, I'm using it. i actually printed the whole thing out so i could check when i've "cleared" a formation and when i've gotten the rage, it's stapled together under the coffee table. every couple of months my wife asks if she can throw it away.

lmao, big flashbacks to the time i printed out a massive gamefaqs checklist for dark cloud 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

When I was a kid I printed out a 100+ page GameFAQ for FF3 on our dot matrix printer and kept it in a shiny pink folder. My parents were really pissed that I wasted so much paper and ink. I also never owned FF3 until a couple years ago so I just rented the cart and kept it for like a month racking up late fees lol.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

i don't like the combat or most of the character building systems outside of espers. and those still suffer from the crummy menus from all the swapping around you have to do. i'll give it credit for doing a lot around the storytelling stuff but playing it is a slog.

Bicyclops posted:

I know, I'm using it. i actually printed the whole thing out so i could check when i've "cleared" a formation and when i've gotten the rage, it's stapled together under the coffee table. every couple of months my wife asks if she can throw it away.

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I printed out the enemy capturing checklist for FFX from GameFAQS so I could track the 5x caps of all enemies for Auron's (Yuna's? I forget which party member this is for) super weapon.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I printed out the enemy capturing checklist for FFX from GameFAQS so I could track the 5x caps of all enemies for Auron's (Yuna's? I forget which party member this is for) super weapon.

That’s for Auron’s I think. Yuna you have to capture one of every monster in the calm lands and you have to get every Aeon and then beat the rival summoner to power it up

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FFX had so much to track across so many different FAQs that i wrote down a bunch of stuff in a Mead composition book that had been my high school physics notebook and we just used that whenever we played, so it had like blitzball players next to the lyrics for the Mr. Physics song we used to sing about the teacher, and which monster to bribe to make auto-haste next to a crossed out heart with my ex girlfriend's initials in it. now i suppose i'd just use a laptop.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

when i was a kid i printed out a 180 page silent hill 2 faq including all the DVDA shoutouts and got scared by the fog 10 minutes in and threw it all away

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the first time I got to use the internet was in my dad's office when I was visiting for some reason, and I got overexcited and printed out the entire cheatplanet.com Paper Mario 64 list of tips, and my dad's boss got mad at him for letting his retarded son waste half the ink cartridge

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the first time I got to use the internet was in my dad's office when I was visiting for some reason, and I got overexcited and printed out the entire cheatplanet.com Paper Mario 64 list of tips, and my dad's boss got mad at him for letting his retarded son waste half the ink cartridge

lmao

one of my bosses used to have her son come in and do homework on one of the loaner laptops here sometimes after school, and one day a monthly Discord Nitro subscription showed up on her corporate card. i had to go through this whole song and dance where she was like "now, why would i buy this program? wsa i looking for alternative productivity tools to use instead fo Slack?" because she knew what happened once i explained what the program was, but she didn't want to pay the 8 dollars back.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lmao

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mentally filling out deets of every imp's rough age in a big battered notebook based on their stories over the last page

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Mentally filling out deets of every imp's rough age in a big battered notebook based on their stories over the last page

I’m turning 34 next month. You’re welcome for the freebie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

you can use a laptop now.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.
K I think my Final Fantasy 13-1 replay has come to an end... There were 3 achievements i decided not to go for: one where you have held every single weapon and accessory in the game, which seems insane to me and i say NO to that, one for getting 5 stars on every mission, which would be too much time/work imo, and one for beating the Long Gui, the monster that replaces the ADamantoise when you beat most of the missions. I tried fighting the Long Gui and it had a ton of hp and it was a boring fight so i decided to skip it... I guess i could change my mind later but w/e. I spent soo much time fighting Adamantoise which is basically the same thing so im over it.

I feel satisfied, i even got ultimate weapons for the 3 chars i used. Synthy you were right the boss on the last mission is cool.. It blew my mind lol cause walking up to it I was listening to thank u, next chopped and screwed and the boss turns the whole area purple, the color of chop&screw music. The boss itself was fun too, felt epic.

The first time i beat 13-1 i moved right onto 2, and i awlays was a little curious what the postgame stuff i skipped was like... turns out there wasnt very much of it lol. On one hand i think FF games with TONS of sidequests to do can feel overwhleming, and some ff sidequests are super wack, but I think i would have preferred if the ultimate weapons had different little things reuqired for each of them instead of farming a super rare stone and making all of them the exact same way using more of hte same rare stone. But now its all behind me, and I can move onto 13-2 feeling like a bawss that i did 'pretty much everything' in ff13-1. :cheerdoge: ANd im hype cause i dont remmeber much about 2 but i remember it was way better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You didn't tell us the most important part...who was the main squad at the end???

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm glad you got to experience the epic final mission boss, that fight is so cool. My team for him was Lightning/Fang/Vanille but my turtle setup swapped Vanille for Sazh

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

In Training posted:

You didn't tell us the most important part...who was the main squad at the end???

Wow it was literally exactly this on both counts!!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm glad you got to experience the epic final mission boss, that fight is so cool. My team for him was Lightning/Fang/Vanille but my turtle setup swapped Vanille for Sazh

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i have shamefully never played ff13 because i didn't have a PS3 and i have a huge backlog. i have a brother who visits every so often to just play video games, ff13 might be a good choice for the next game we go through after we finally finish witcher 3

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Auron should be like Gilgamesh and start getting put into every game.

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

When I was a kid I printed out a 100+ page GameFAQ for FF3 on our dot matrix printer and kept it in a shiny pink folder. My parents were really pissed that I wasted so much paper and ink. I also never owned FF3 until a couple years ago so I just rented the cart and kept it for like a month racking up late fees lol.

lol

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Descending from the Library like Moses with a Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia FAQ in one arm and Dark Cloud 2 in the other.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Is Ar Tonelico a pervert series? The artist just did the Langrisser remake.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

lmfao

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i lost my earthbound guide somehow. my mom knew how much i liked the game from how much i begged to get it. she offered to xerox and collate the whole drat thing from a friend's copy for me at work. i remember she had to stay late to do it at least in part to use up 150 double sided pages of ink while no one else was there. when she gave it to me i opened it up, on the cover page i found the scribbled signature and of his snotty little sister and some of the stamps from a stamp set they had. years earlier as a revenge for something i marked up that page and forged her signature knowing it would get him to i don't know knock her in the head with a nerf bat or whatever.

i never told them but i regret disrespecting an earthbound guide in such a petty ploy

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

P-Mack posted:

Is Ar Tonelico a pervert series? The artist just did the Langrisser remake.

well the langrisser artist is a sex freak so i imagine the art isnt going to be any different there either. ive never heard anyone talk about the actual games either

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
dont get me wrong though, ill play an etrian odyssey game. and the art in that is on the sketchy side too. its down to you in the end

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Patch 4.56 Hype. I wonder if the Warrior of Light will succumb to the Echo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Patch 4.56 Hype. I wonder if the Warrior of Light will succumb to the Echo.

Dude. Six new fish added.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Finally got my chocobo mount. Wish there were more low-level dungeons; i’m really enjoying being a healer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tao of lmao posted:

Finally got my chocobo mount. Wish there were more low-level dungeons; i’m really enjoying being a healer.

You absolutely do not wish there were more low level dungeons, trust me

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In Training posted:

You absolutely do not wish there were more low level dungeons, trust me

I like doing group content more than solo stuff. :shrug: i’ll take your word for it though.

One thing I gotta say i don’t like is i’m somewhat surprised how little diversity there is in builds/loadouts. I get that games with big skill trees often end up with a single “optimal” build which makes the tree itself pointless, but I enjoy experimenting with various builds through the leveling process and it’s just not there in this game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tao of lmao posted:

I like doing group content more than solo stuff. :shrug: i’ll take your word for it though.

One thing I gotta say i don’t like is i’m somewhat surprised how little diversity there is in builds/loadouts. I get that games with big skill trees often end up with a single “optimal” build which makes the tree itself pointless, but I enjoy experimenting with various builds through the leveling process and it’s just not there in this game.

I just mean later in the game, the fastest way to level alternate classes is to do what they call a Levelling Roulette which just dumps you in a general queue for like, any dungeon you can do. But since the most common dungeons run are all the very beginning ones bc of free trials and other low level chars...so I've done Copperbell mines like 45 times. But you're right, the group stuff is the most fun stuff in the game, and the later dungeons are just way better designed

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

In Training posted:

I just mean later in the game, the fastest way to level alternate classes is to do what they call a Levelling Roulette which just dumps you in a general queue for like, any dungeon you can do. But since the most common dungeons run are all the very beginning ones bc of free trials and other low level chars...so I've done Copperbell mines like 45 times. But you're right, the group stuff is the most fun stuff in the game, and the later dungeons are just way better designed

Ok and that ties into what you were saying of how anyone can basically do most of the jobs. I noticed the crafting is treated like its own class, so presumably you just equip say a lance or whatever and you’re just level 1 again and can start running the queues (at appropriate level obviously)? Thats pretty clever, but can totally understand burning out quick on that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

tao of lmao posted:

Ok and that ties into what you were saying of how anyone can basically do most of the jobs. I noticed the crafting is treated like its own class, so presumably you just equip say a lance or whatever and you’re just level 1 again and can start running the queues (at appropriate level obviously)? Thats pretty clever, but can totally understand burning out quick on that.

Doing the low level dungeons again with new classes is fun, it's doing them as your endgame class but with 90% of your abilities locked, for the 30th time, that can drag. Also some of them are just bad dungeons that date all the way back to 1.0.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

Copperbell is the worst dungeon in the game. It's really awful.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

installed mednafen and ff7

dang i had 8 on the pc as a kid and played chrono trigger on an emulator a lot but i guess ive never finished an actual square game

i did finish dq1 nes couple years back but got stuck in the second one and it felt like a chore anyway. is dq2 worth a retry or just skip to 4 or sthing?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

matti posted:

installed mednafen and ff7

dang i had 8 on the pc as a kid and played chrono trigger on an emulator a lot but i guess ive never finished an actual square game

i did finish dq1 nes couple years back but got stuck in the second one and it felt like a chore anyway. is dq2 worth a retry or just skip to 4 or sthing?

The remakes of 2 are rebalanced to be considerably less painful. 4,5,6 are all great though.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

cool ill try the remake and being less of a purist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
start with the modern ones and work backwards imo. though ive never played 1 2 3 or 4