Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

am i a bad person for reading this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

UberBeats

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Relinking this

Anonymous Millionaire Wants to Set Up a Real-Life Battle Royale on a Private Island

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

https://www.hushhush.com/battle-royale-event-gamemaker/

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

someone should probably figure out who this rear end in a top hat is

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Former DILF posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have found a photograph:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine posted:

am i a bad person for reading this

we’re all gonna die so gently caress it imo

watch the idiots fight it’s less embarrassing than UFC if you ask me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Former DILF posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Fuckin' fox news headline, it's an airsoft battle royale :rolleyes:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

While looking something up I found out that the Nestle Purina PetCare Corporation Factory in Arizona has this really rad looking dystopic concrete monolith with the Purina logo on it:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
reminds me of a grain storage silo near me

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

While looking something up I found out that the Nestle Purina PetCare Corporation Factory in Arizona has this really rad looking dystopic concrete monolith with the Purina logo on it:

QR codes getting lazy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shame Boy posted:

If the umbrella corp left marketing and logo development to an intern.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The one in Oklahoma City looks like that, too. And smells like dog food for miles around. I imagine if you work there it must just seep into your pores until it's permanent.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

https://kioneki.com/2019/04/09/how-paypal-and-the-uk-are-nudging-kenyan-writers-to-use-bitcoin/

A spat between the UK government, PayPal and Kenya freelancers has got everyone mixing up issues.

“Thousands of jobless graduates from Kenya who help lazy university students in developed countries to cheat academically could soon be forced to find something else to do after the UK government started clamping down on essay mills.

On Thursday, international digital money transfer service, PayPal, announced it was withdrawing its services to essay-writing firms selling to university students. This was after weeks of pressure from the UK government, which insists stopping payments for essay mills would go a long way in beating academic cheating.’ Daily Nation

There are 3 parts to this story.

First, the British Education Secretary, Damian Hinds, says when UK students tap cheap labor in Kenya for their assignments, it is unethical and cheating. 46 university vice chancellors last year wrote to Hinds, calling for the banning of cheating websites.

Secondly, PayPal is caught up in the wrangles for facilitating online payments between UK students and Kenyan freelancers. PayPal has come under pressure to stop processing these payments and declared it will not support unethical academic behaviour by UK graduates. Some people have suggested, cryptocurrency may serve well as an alternative for Kenyan freelancers.

Finally, in Kenya, we are all caught up debating whether it is cheating or job creation, as thousands of graduates are dependent on the thriving business for wages and employment.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Imagined posted:

The one in Oklahoma City looks like that, too. And smells like dog food for miles around. I imagine if you work there it must just seep into your pores until it's permanent.

smelling tasty to dogs must be a real nice thing to list on both the positives and negatives of the job tbf

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

ted hitler posted:

https://kioneki.com/2019/04/09/how-paypal-and-the-uk-are-nudging-kenyan-writers-to-use-bitcoin/

A spat between the UK government, PayPal and Kenya freelancers has got everyone mixing up issues.

“Thousands of jobless graduates from Kenya who help lazy university students in developed countries to cheat academically could soon be forced to find something else to do after the UK government started clamping down on essay mills.

On Thursday, international digital money transfer service, PayPal, announced it was withdrawing its services to essay-writing firms selling to university students. This was after weeks of pressure from the UK government, which insists stopping payments for essay mills would go a long way in beating academic cheating.’ Daily Nation

There are 3 parts to this story.

First, the British Education Secretary, Damian Hinds, says when UK students tap cheap labor in Kenya for their assignments, it is unethical and cheating. 46 university vice chancellors last year wrote to Hinds, calling for the banning of cheating websites.

Secondly, PayPal is caught up in the wrangles for facilitating online payments between UK students and Kenyan freelancers. PayPal has come under pressure to stop processing these payments and declared it will not support unethical academic behaviour by UK graduates. Some people have suggested, cryptocurrency may serve well as an alternative for Kenyan freelancers.

Finally, in Kenya, we are all caught up debating whether it is cheating or job creation, as thousands of graduates are dependent on the thriving business for wages and employment.

Anything that extracts money from rich white kids is good imo

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Excepted to give them an advantage over less wealthy children

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

It's not like they were actually gonna do the work either way, at least with online cheating services their trust fund money tends to flow into the global south instead of a "private tutor" their parents hired

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Yeah no, it's way harder to find a "tutor" who will act as a paper mill than some anonymous African or Asian wage slave.

gently caress rich kids, they need to fail more courses

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crazycryodude posted:

It's not like they were actually gonna do the work either way, at least with online cheating services their trust fund money tends to flow into the global south instead of a "private tutor" their parents hired

this is why the government stopped it
they wont actually change the classes or help kenya, so next year it'll just be a different african country running essay mills

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mycomancy posted:

gently caress rich kids, they need to fail more courses

Many (most?) of the really richer style schools will just give the richie kids a "gentleman's C" which is "just show up for class and you'll get a C even if you do no homework and fail all tests."
They don't want to lose out on the alumni donation money from richie kid's family if they fail him out.

It's not even about academics anyway for these people, it's about going to the Right School and meeting the Right People. Most of those kids don't even want to be there but their family said they have to and that's just the way it's done in their family (and daddy won't give you the cushy 6 figure job if you don't).

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 16:39 on Apr 13, 2019

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

COMRADES posted:

Most of those kids don't even want to be there but their family said they have to and that's just the way it's done in their family (and daddy won't give you the cushy 6 figure job if you don't).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7Eh6JTKIg&t=537s

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://youtu.be/vEaXAsbvHV4

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Imagined posted:

Yep. If any of yall are curious what boiled horse smells like, come within 3 miles of NW 150th and Santa Fe

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

Nukes to Saudi A! posted:

Yep. If any of yall are curious what boiled horse smells like, come within 3 miles of NW 150th and Santa Fe

mike pence

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

COMRADES posted:

Many (most?) of the really richer style schools will just give the richie kids a "gentleman's C" which is "just show up for class and you'll get a C even if you do no homework and fail all tests."
They don't want to lose out on the alumni donation money from richie kid's family if they fail him out.

It's not even about academics anyway for these people, it's about going to the Right School and meeting the Right People. Most of those kids don't even want to be there but their family said they have to and that's just the way it's done in their family (and daddy won't give you the cushy 6 figure job if you don't).

Sounds like another reason to add them to the list of " take 99% of their wealth and forbid them from ever having more in their life."

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

pretty sure that the top universities are basically breeding program for the elites, almost mirroring a royal court

there’s also a bit of reputation laundering going on since most of the international kudos/impact factor the hard working students generate is shared with the students who paid to enter

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

COMRADES posted:

Boomers...

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

There is a director at my work who joined a webex from the hospital the day after her child was born. I wasn’t in the meeting, but my understanding is it was nothing pressing and she was just aiming to, “set the standard.”

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Imagined posted:

The one in Oklahoma City looks like that, too. And smells like dog food for miles around. I imagine if you work there it must just seep into your pores until it's permanent. all dogs constantly nibble you

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Five bucks says she's on the bottom end of an MLM scam.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Performance art has gotten weird lately.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Jel Shaker posted:

pretty sure that the top universities are basically breeding program for the elites, almost mirroring a royal court

there’s also a bit of reputation laundering going on since most of the international kudos/impact factor the hard working students generate is shared with the students who paid to enter

i didn't go to college but to what degree are they responsible for the liberal consensus? it seems like outside of your specialized subject, you mostly just get the bland neoliberal take on $subject.

couple that with the elite factor and you start to have a pretty good case for resenting 'liberal education'

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

University was an eye opening experience for me, personally. I took a philosophy class as an elective and had been a lukewarm conservative (read: reactionary) up to that point.

Now I live in Chomskyville and wish for guillotines.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Universities turn a lot of conservative kids into moderates or liberals. The funny thing is that conservative parents believe this to be on account of active indocrination or widespread bias, when the reality it is just the natural result of removing an 18 year old from a home that plays Fox News all day and exposing them to diverse people.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Get a double degree in gender studies and philosophy and you'll be a radicalized awkward gay dork at the end of it.

(That is, if you don't just uncritically read course content, never apply it to your own life and conditions and write five-paragraph-essays on it which I saw a distressing amount of my classmates do. :smith:)

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
At first my university actually pushed me into being what I thought was centrist because I went to a hyper neoliberal school where a lot of the students were walking caricatures of boomer memes and I absolutely hated both them and conservatives. Turns out I hated them both not because I was centrist but because I was actually leftist.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Most unis are neoliberal as gently caress yeah. Both Chomsky and Wolff have a lot to say on that subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What the gently caress posh hospital is that?? Just look at the walls.