Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The worst part of that area is that the wyvern's breath does virtually 0 damage to the other enemies. I thought I could be real smart and just run past them and get them roasted by the fire breath, only to see them take like 20 damage and flinch slightly. What gives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

OutofSight posted:

If the slog to the other event in Heide's becomes unbearable, there should be a summon sign before the area with the Dragonrider boss. "Masterless Glencour" sure can take some hits for you.

thanks for the offer here! I peaced out of that place the moment I found the dragon who has a firebreath that somehow clips the stairway you're standing on. gross.

instead I made my way into some underground dock and just cleared it out. Really fun area using the torch to light everything and scare off those weird bleed monsters.

also killed my first invader and I just summoned a boat to dock.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 13, 2019

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Banjodark posted:

thanks for the offer here!

Actually, Masterless Glencour is one of DS2's many, many, many co-op phantoms. You may have also spotted Bradley of the Old Guard, who's got a small summon sign on the docks at the start of No Man's Wharf. DS2 goes way above and beyond when it comes to offline phantoms.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I shoot that spear knight with arrows and whittle his life down that way. Eventually he makes it down to me and I still have to give him a few swipes with a sword but it’s not too bad by that time.

The little dragon and then boss beyond that dude aren’t that special, but there’s a covenant after that boss, and for me personally that boss is kind of cool.

Go back there later when you have a ton of arrows and a decent bow.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Djeser posted:

Actually, Masterless Glencour is one of DS2's many, many, many co-op phantoms. You may have also spotted Bradley of the Old Guard, who's got a small summon sign on the docks at the start of No Man's Wharf. DS2 goes way above and beyond when it comes to offline phantoms.

Generally, if a summon looks like it has a normal name, it's probably an NPC.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I always try to name my characters things that would fit in with the other Dark Souls names. :unsmith:

It's tricky because a lot of NPCs have longer names that don't fit with the character limit but I remember calling my powerstance caestus character Meek Eline.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Hope they were wearing the onion armor to fit the name

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Djeser posted:

I always try to name my characters things that would fit in with the other Dark Souls names. :unsmith:

It's tricky because a lot of NPCs have longer names that don't fit with the character limit but I remember calling my powerstance caestus character Meek Eline.

Thank god there is steam's "big picture" mode. Instead of the in-game input , you can use the one for the steam launcher. Gives you waaayyy bigger character limit.
Even long names like "Artorias the Abysswalker" or "Bradley of the Old Guard" for example seem to fit in the field.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 13, 2019

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
So this close to the end, I have to ask now: are Dark Souls 2 bosses easier? With the exception of Vendrick, it's been a while since I've had to make more than 2 or 3 attempts at a boss, and I've been getting them in one try semi-frequently. Easier bosses would make sense since it seems there's a fuckton more of them this time around.

OutofSight posted:

Thank god there is steam's "big picture" mode. Instead of the in name input of the game , you can use the one for the steam launcher. Gives you waaayyy bigger character limit.
Even long names like "Artorias the Abysswalker" or "Bradley of the Old Guard" for example seem to fit in the field.

:stare: This feels... very vulnerable and exploitable

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I would say 2 has the highest proportion of pushover bosses by far, although the DLC bosses are generally much better and more challenging than the ones in the base game.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

So far I’ve had an easier time with bosses and a harder time with regular enemies/environment than DS1.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:stare: This feels... very vulnerable and exploitable

Having a nonstandard name on Steam, like using a non-latin alphabet (in my case georgian) causes an instant crash for anyone interacting with your character

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

goblin week posted:

Having a nonstandard name on Steam, like using a non-latin alphabet (in my case georgian) causes an instant crash for anyone interacting with your character

Oh okay, well that's probably the least bad outcome tbh. I was thinking a buffer overflow vulnerability could lead to some bad shenanigans, but it looks like they at least have a failsafe for nonstandard/unexpected names.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

goblin week posted:

Maybe this was case for DS1, but unless your are going crazy this the length of the character string or using some unsupported alphabet, no real problems.

Crashing the game would be weird, because mentioned npc (Glencour, Bradley) summons tend to have really long names in their summon sign.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Whats a fun magic build? I already did maingame+dlc with ricards rapier full dex. Was kinda boring spaming r1 but ultra effective.

I am thinking of a doing a 2nd run just cause I missed Darklurker on my first run, I'll probably start soon.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

So this close to the end, I have to ask now: are Dark Souls 2 bosses easier? With the exception of Vendrick, it's been a while since I've had to make more than 2 or 3 attempts at a boss, and I've been getting them in one try semi-frequently. Easier bosses would make sense since it seems there's a fuckton more of them this time around.

Yeah I'd say so, most bosses are kinda easy, the levels leading up to them are a lot more challenging for the most part. If you keep up your stats and gear and know how to roll you can plough through most of them with ease. There are some absolute fuckers of bosses in the DLC and endgame though (and those levels aren't easy either).

Ulio posted:

Whats a fun magic build? I already did maingame+dlc with ricards rapier full dex. Was kinda boring spaming r1 but ultra effective.

I am thinking of a doing a 2nd run just cause I missed Darklurker on my first run, I'll probably start soon.

Hex build is cool, because you can also dip a bit into sorcery/miracles/pyromancies on the side because you've got the stats and the gear already!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Agree that DS2 bosses are on par easier. So much so that it made me complacent on bosses that weren’t that hard. So like Freja and Demon of Song took me 3-4 attempts because I wasn’t even bothering to manage stamina or roll out of attacks.

The DLC fights are great though. Elena was the only kind of lame one bc it’s basically a repeat, but it’s a better version of the boss it’s repeating.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That’s the eternal question, right? Am I good, is the game easy, or am I better at the game? I think you can only get thrown for the loops that the game series wants to throw at you a few times before you learn the language. If you went back to DS1 now, the only hard bosses are like. Artorias and the Capra Demon. And even Artorias isn’t always on your rear end like the Lost Sinner is, and the Capra is only hard because of his hosed up arena.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 13, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elena sucks because it's such an RNG-y fight. Maybe you'll get lucky and she'll only summon a bunch of skeletons. Or maybe instead she'll end up summoning Vendrick 3 times in a row.

edit: sorry, I meant Jason Vorhees

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 13, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Wrong V.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
When I killed Elena I basically ignored Velstadt and it worked out pretty well for me. Had to do a lot of jogging around, but once I noticed how they both moved the strat seemed obvious.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
Hooray!

then I walked up that drawbridge and one-shot the boss by walking around him in big circles. yay!

Having a good time this morning. I also stomped all over the boss in the bottom of the boat and it.. ugh has led me back to the prison I didn't want to explore before. Oh well, time to clear it out!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Look Sir Droids posted:

Demon of Song took me 3-4 attempts

A shameful Bearer.

Banjodark posted:

Hooray!

then I walked up that drawbridge and one-shot the boss by walking around him in big circles. yay!

Congratulations on getting one of the best shields in the game.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Lost Bastille is probably one of the more interesting levels in base DS2 in terms of design. I can think of others with complex layouts (Gutter, Magma Mansion, the Aerie) but Lost Bastille is up there with the DLC levels and stuff like Cathedral of the Deep in terms of ways to traverse it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lost Bastille is an okay level that looks like butt. The ideas are good but the polish isn’t there.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
okay lost bastille update, I've found how the two different entrances connect (bird's nest & the boat docks).

I hate the pursuer and he's annoying, stop showing up with your uncomfortable music theme and then disappearing 10 seconds later.

I just one-shot some triple boss battle thing by using every life gem ever. Exploding mummies are annoying. Game is fun.

edit - I also found a new blacksmith who infuses weapons. Any recommendations here? I'm guessing if you're going to infuse a weapon with an element, you want a back up weapon for enemies and bosses who are immune to it? are there any elements/infusions that just plain aren't worth it?

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 14, 2019

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I like the lost bastille a lot but the visual design starts to get a little boring towards the end. Still to me it's up there with some of the better areas in the entire trilogy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ulio posted:

Sorcery has a broad assortment of cool spells and is easy to get going from the start. Yearn + a Dagger is an amazingly effective strategy against the majority of the enemies in the game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The first time I had played sorcery I went to that spot in lost Bastille with all those swordsman and it was so drat easy to just pop them off one at a time.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

You got the ruin sentinels on the first try? Bravo, it took me 20ish tries or so lol

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect

You got the ruin sentinels on the first try? Bravo, it took me 20ish tries or so lol
I did use like 15 lifegems.

and lots of walking around clockwise and rolling. I have hit 99 agi and things are feeling better now.

in other news, vague ideas of where to go now? I've cleared out Lost Bastille, found Sinner's Rise and made it through to the end boss there and killed them. Lit a different bonfire which teleported me right back to Majula, so I'm guessing this area is done?

shout outs to the annoying return of the pirate boat boss in that weird water-logged hallway area, I summoned an npc to deal with that, because no.

there's one path I've found so far, which is a fog-filled forest, am I missing any other directions to go in?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Power stancing a washing pole +10 and uchigatana +10 in NG+ is awesomely fun.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Banjodark posted:

edit - I also found a new blacksmith who infuses weapons. Any recommendations here? I'm guessing if you're going to infuse a weapon with an element, you want a back up weapon for enemies and bosses who are immune to it? are there any elements/infusions that just plain aren't worth it?

Infusions are useful for weapons that already do elemental damage. Aside from that, they're pretty situational, but they're also independent from your upgrade level, so you can slot them in and out as long as you've got the materials for it.

Banjodark posted:

there's one path I've found so far, which is a fog-filled forest, am I missing any other directions to go in?

Yes, two. One is on the way out of Majula toward Heide's. The other is down. :getin:

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Jacob is perfect
well now,

this game sure is pretty

also,

glad that is done. Ugh

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Bogart posted:

That’s the eternal question, right? Am I good, is the game easy, or am I better at the game? I think you can only get thrown for the loops that the game series wants to throw at you a few times before you learn the language. If you went back to DS1 now, the only hard bosses are like. Artorias and the Capra Demon. And even Artorias isn’t always on your rear end like the Lost Sinner is, and the Capra is only hard because of his hosed up arena.

For me at least it's not much of a question. I go back to all 3 entries of the series now and then and this one is always the easiest by far.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally got my computer set up and I can get back to making these again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COXS4Jd7qW4

I've got 20 more in the backlog lol, from Royal Rat Vanguard to the gank squad in Cave of the Dead.

also, Brume Tower is cool as gently caress. Might be my favorite area of the game so far.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Finally got my computer set up and I can get back to making these again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COXS4Jd7qW4

I've got 20 more in the backlog lol, from Royal Rat Vanguard to the gank squad in Cave of the Dead.

also, Brume Tower is cool as gently caress. Might be my favorite area of the game so far.

That SPIDER ALARM haha

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

All the DLC areas are way, way better than the regular game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The co-op areas are all crap. The main zones are pretty good though. a lot of zones in the base game suffer from not really having anything much going on, they’re just a place you walk through and kill some guys and then a boss, and the DLCs definitely don’t have that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

For me at least it's not much of a question. I go back to all 3 entries of the series now and then and this one is always the easiest by far.

That's a consequence of its difficulty not being exacerbated by an excessive input queue or enemies that attack at a rate that demands a more responsive set of controls. I'd still say it's harder than DS1 and DS3 on the balance because of the impossibility of chugging through major mechanics once your Estus has been upgraded enough.