Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

sassassin posted:

Why is the Everqueen at war with every other High Elf faction? Something's very wrong on Ulthuan.

Elves are dicks.

And yes, something is very wrong - it's full of elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Man magic in Lucky's Mod is savage. Making correct spells stationary and turning random roaming spells into direction attacks makes them pretty devastating.
One of the things I sometimes wonder about for Total Warhams 3 would be a rework of the magic system. It would be particularly neat if they could figure out a way to make something like the tabletop dispel mechanics work, since it would add some depth to the system and force a bit more interaction between casters on different sides. It would also add a little depth of some of the factions. Dwarfs, for instance, who can have a really strong dispel game on the tabletop despite being the no-(traditional)-magic faction, or Lizardmen and High Elves who rely on uber-powerful wizards on the tabletop in a way they don't really do in TWW. It could also give you room to buff spells to make them even more impactful. It would be a huge change that would require a top-to-bottom rebalance, though, and maybe a mechanic designed for a turn-based system just wouldn't work with real-time-with-pause. But OTOH magic feels like one of the least fleshed-out parts of TWW and has since the beginning.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 13, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

Why is the Everqueen at war with every other High Elf faction? Something's very wrong on Ulthuan.

That happened last time I played as nagarythe. She was quite cheerful towards me, but she was murdering the gently caress out of everyone else on ulthuan. Happily that meant I got a confed with someone so I wasn't complaining.

The DLC actually looks much better than I was expecting, I might buy it after all.

I wonder if SFO might add the workshop system to the dwarves, it's similar to their rune research system.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 13, 2019

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The under empire mechanic makes me want to play Skaven for the first time since release. Holy poo poo, that's skaven as gently caress, and I'm really glad they implemented it. It's perfect.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Gonkish posted:

The under empire mechanic makes me want to play Skaven for the first time since release. Holy poo poo, that's skaven as gently caress, and I'm really glad they implemented it. It's perfect.
Yeah I agree, it looks really cool.

On the Dwarf crafting thing, how good is it really? It seems to be a bunch of wargear for your Lords and heroes which I guess is fine and all but making a one-man unit a bit killier feels slightly underwhelming given the mechanic. Am I missing something? (probably)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Zephro posted:

On the Dwarf crafting thing, how good is it really? It seems to be a bunch of wargear for your Lords and heroes which I guess is fine and all but making a one-man unit a bit killier feels slightly underwhelming given the mechanic. Am I missing something? (probably)

I wish the items had a stronger effect on their ability to kill things; having all the damage boosts and melee attack doesn't really feel that hot when Thanes and Lords are still only killing like 2 or so models per swing.

That said, turning them into unkillable blocks of steel that soak aggro and give your shooters an opportunity to shoot everything dumb enough to try and kill them is invaluable. There's also the accuracy-boosting aura item for Master Engineers if you really want to be a bastard.

Overall: cool but could use a bit more punch. The Runic Force mod on the Workshop adds some more items you can forge, but even then they tend to be more of the defensive type.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

toasterwarrior posted:

I wish the items had a stronger effect on their ability to kill things; having all the damage boosts and melee attack doesn't really feel that hot when Thanes and Lords are still only killing like 2 or so models per swing.

That said, turning them into unkillable blocks of steel that soak aggro and give your shooters an opportunity to shoot everything dumb enough to try and kill them is invaluable. There's also the accuracy-boosting aura item for Master Engineers if you really want to be a bastard.

Overall: cool but could use a bit more punch. The Runic Force mod on the Workshop adds some more items you can forge, but even then they tend to be more of the defensive type.
Cool, thanks. "Could use a bit more punch" was basically the impression I got from browsing through the items, though I hadn't thought about building a super-tanky thane to tarpit targets for Thunderers. Might give that a try.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zephro posted:

The crafting thing is kinda pointless honestly because the only stuff really worth making is the uniques and by the time you get them you've already got the quest gear for your LLs which is generally better.

It's a really convoluted way of making an extra couple sets of LL equipment for some rando to wear. Sure you can churn out more general grade crap but all it's normally gonna do is make your thanes better at fighting other heroes because those are the only things that really need more power behind them. Everything else the limiting factor is how fast the dude can chew through models which the equipment doesn't help.

So yeah, it lets you turn your heroes into more efficient mega unit killers, and there's one or two useful things like the cloak that lets you turn your engineers into snipers or give heroes vanguard deployment, but otherwise it's a bit meh.

I was referring to the changes SFO makes to the dwarf research tree that lets you pick a bonus for each of your unit classes if you pay a chunk of gold and max out their building chain.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 13, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The best thing about the forge, no lie, is getting to salvage all the items you loot so you can clean up your item list. Legitimately good poo poo.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

The best thing about the forge, no lie, is getting to salvage all the items you loot so you can clean up your item list. Legitimately good poo poo.
If only it let me render down this endless list of useless followers into their constituent elements

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I was referring to the changes SFO makes to the dwarf research tree that lets you pick a bonus for each of your unit classes if you pay a chunk of gold and max out their building chain.
Ah OK, thanks. I should really try SFO some time but I'm always a bit wary of massive overhaul mods because it seems like it'd be really hard for one guy to change everything and keep it even half-balanced.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 13, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scandalous posted:

If only it let me render down this endless list of useless followers into their constituent elements

+10% income from local obsidian mines stamping on a dawi face forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zephro posted:

Ah OK, thanks. I should really try SFO some time but I'm always a bit wary of massive overhaul mods because it seems like it'd be really hard for one guy to change everything and keep it even half-balanced.

I haven't found anything I particularly hate though I mostly played dwarves. They can get pretty bullshit if you buy all the rune upgrades but, well, the game is full of bullshit. Still got eaten alive by a pile of zombie crabs.

I like it because it's got fun bullshit in it. And I also like the changes to garrisons making them bigger, though I guess Lucky's also does that.

Combined with unit caps and all its integrated minimods it mostly just makes the game more interesting I think.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Scandalous posted:

Does putting them on a suicide lord work?

Also LOL that Clan Skyre has more and better unique mechanics (even without counting the Skaven stuff) than all TWW1 factions with the exception of Norsca.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is SFO still around? Last time I was playing (and modding, like 18 months ago...) he was outed as a Nazi and everyone finally realised his mod sucked.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

sassassin posted:

Is SFO still around? Last time I was playing (and modding, like 18 months ago...) he was outed as a Nazi and everyone finally realised his mod sucked.

Its around and Nazi guy was denounced, tried to retake control of the mod due to copyright of the name or some poo poo. Everyone told him to gently caress off and he fled in tears.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

sassassin posted:

IIRC you're looking for "Grimhammer" now instead of SFO, same mod new name

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dandywalken posted:

Its around and Nazi guy was denounced, tried to retake control of the mod due to copyright of the name or some poo poo. Everyone told him to gently caress off and he fled in tears.

I imagine the definitely-not-Nazi Steel Faith Order crew are making some decent money off his Nazi brand.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They renamed it Grimhammer to distance from his poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did anything ever come of his very normal one copyright breakdown?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sassassin posted:

I imagine the definitely-not-Nazi Steel Faith Order crew are making some decent money off his Nazi brand.

I'm in awe of this post

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

Tab confirmed to be start location map for all the LLs.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Also LOL that Clan Skyre has more and better unique mechanics (even without counting the Skaven stuff) than all TWW1 factions with the exception of Norsca.

Seriously, it's incredible.

Also CA give the Empire a Forbidden Workshop ripoff called the Imperial Engineers School, also an Engineer hero so I can loving buff my black powder to break even with soggy corpses and rats, please and thank you.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
At this rate of ever escalating and interesting campaign mechanics/features, they're probably gonna have to revamp all the WH1 and WH2 factions in WH3 to be bring them up to snuff of the eventual WH3 races. As they should.

ad090 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2019

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

ad090 posted:

At this rate of ever escalating and interesting campaign mechanics/features, they're probably gonna have to revamp all the WH1 and WH2 factions in WH3 to be bring them up to snuff of the eventual WH3 races. As they should.

I can't wait to play as ogres and have a campaign mechanic around eating revolting poo poo. It's a true goon dream.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Even the HE and DE mechanics pale in comparison to the rats, goddamn. I think TK and Vampire Coast are the only ones who can even compare.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Arrrthritis posted:

I can't wait to play as ogres and have a campaign mechanic around eating revolting poo poo. It's a true goon dream.

Acquiring resources for the sole purpose of eating them. "We need more obsidian to feed our elite soldiers!"

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Ideally, the Ogres should be kind of like hordes, but similar to the wood-elves in that they can build a settlement(s) in a specific place (where they are based in the lore), because the Ogres aren't really an expansionist race. Then you'd have to secure alliances and back up other armies, with a kind of contract system where other races give you missions like raze this settlement or keep this army alive, with agreed upon payment for when you complete them. Maybe even something similar to the undercity where you can build camps within allied settlements for replenishment and access to new units. Maybe even modify what you can build based upon that race, so for example maneaters built from a Dwarf settlement would have beards and stronger army, or access to an Ironblaster. This way you would have to ally yourself to expand your army, instead of just building up and steam-rolling over the other races, which isn't really how they tend to operate in the lore.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azran posted:

Even the HE and DE mechanics pale in comparison to the rats, goddamn. I think TK and Vampire Coast are the only ones who can even compare.

I'd say Norsca too, with the favors, confederation, monster hunts and the specific end game. Them, TK and Vampire Coast are the gold standard for how featured a faction should be on the strategic layer. I guess the Cult of Sotek and Clan Skryre might join them with this latest DLC!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

its appropriate that skaven and vampirates get great mechanics, because they are cool as hell. high elves and dark elves don't get cool mechanics, because they suck rear end

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

sassassin posted:

Lorewise the reason for Ulthuan being a thunderdome is High Elves are immensely contentious and spend basically all of their time intriguing and maneuvering against each other for social status and position. They might all believe "hey we have to fight the dark elves" but they absolutely do not agree on who gets to lead that fight or how it is conducted, for example; Prince Dickhelmet Sunspearion of the Poncy Hills might feel he's a much better battle commander than Lord Pointyears Magicman, but Lord Pointyears Magicman is the third cousin of the younger brother of the wine pourer in the Phoenix King's court so he's got precedence by tradition, and the Phoenix King needs to be very careful about who he pisses off because his power base is about as stable as a ball pit on top of quicksand so he can't just put the best people in the best positions necessarily.

For the Everqueen in particular, the Everqueen is traditionally almost purely a religious/ceremonial position and most High Elves expect her to pop out an heir or two to the Phoenix King and then sit in her forest praying for good vibes instead of actively getting involved in the political intrigue. That is totally not Alarielle's thing; Alarielle is an extremely active and hands-on actress in politics, so it makes sense that nobles who don't like her messing with their little political games might actively refuse to heed her commands.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can't wait to see what modders do with the new mechanics :allears:

So when exactly can we expect patch notes, the day before the update?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Scandalous posted:

LO actually does a fair bit towards making followers a lot less fussy, mainly by making them usually apply their (economic) bonuses factionwide so you no longer need to do dumb poo poo like putting your gold-mine-buffing followers on Lords that are in a province with a gold mine or some such nonsense.

On top of that, Lucky is now making it so that followers no longer drop from battles, and are instead chosen through a dilemma that you buy through skill points. So you can straight up pick and choose the followers you want on your Lords.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Thank you but I would rather keep adding to my swollen entourage of Runesmith Apprentices than install an overhaul just to address that one issue and then have to tolerate a modder’s inspired grand design for what the game should have been

See: every mention of Lucky’s skaven, etc

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aw but that already got nerfed, it'll only pop once in a battle now so at most you'll only have to melt a unit twice

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
You can’t change my mind I have eighty followers giving +2 Stubbornness

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Who the gently caress is going through multiple Runesmiths that they even need a -15% recruit cost follower anyway

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Every modder eventually succumbs to the desire to bundle everything they're doing into one mega mod that no one else will like even half of, and is incompatible with practically everything else.

Then it breaks when CA release a patch and it's too confusing to try fixing it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

rip my lizardrotica total conversion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

sassassin posted:

Every modder eventually succumbs to the desire to bundle everything they're doing into one mega mod that no one else will like even half of, and is incompatible with practically everything else.

Then it breaks when CA release a patch and it's too confusing to try fixing it.

This is a huge goddamn problem that I hate. I think Crysnos's Faction Unlocker is the most emblematic example of this problem.

Mod that unlocks the ability to play as any faction in the game? That's awesome! How about we start bundling in fuckloads of core gameplay and balance changes that dramatically change how the game functions and then tie these unrelated balance changes inseparably to the basic "play any faction" functionality of the mod?

As an lovely side "benefit", Crysnos's Faction Unlocker becoming a giant bloated mess also served to basically kill me ever wanting to dick around with any of the custom faction mods like Cataph's stuff just because as much as I want to try out the custom factions I don't want to deal with the unlocker bullshit.