Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I would use a guide to Steins Gate, the decision to hide the actual contents of the messages you send until you decide to send them always seemed really silly.

Huh? You can highlight various words in the text, select them, see what you would send, and then you have to actually hit Send to, y'know, send them. You can back out after previewing the message. 100% sure about this, I'm in the middle of replaying Steins;Gate right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Steins;Gate has one of the most satisfying endings in a VN, to the point where every attempt to follow up the story or dangle a potential sequel has felt unnecessary and superfluous. It wraps such a nice bow around it and it's barely worth mentioning any of the others.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

John Lee posted:

Huh? You can highlight various words in the text, select them, see what you would send, and then you have to actually hit Send to, y'know, send them. You can back out after previewing the message. 100% sure about this, I'm in the middle of replaying Steins;Gate right now.

are you playing the original or Elite?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

The original. Did they seriously remove the ability to preview messages from Elite? If so, they made more weird decisions with that game than I thought.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
am I just a dumbass or something because i swear to god there was no way to back out of sending a message once you selected the keyword in the original

Schwa
Jan 16, 2001

I got this title from someone stronger than me.
Yeah, if you stop at anything other than the true ending in Steins your basically stopping in the middle of the story. Calling those endings is a misnomer.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Basically the entirety of stein;s gate is about (all ending spoilers) Okabe falling in love with Kurisu, and in the true ending he loves her enough to spend 20 years coming up with a plan to save her. The narrative does tons of things - having her put on the lab coat no one else would wear, your "fake date", her being the only person Okabe can be honest with - to make this happen.

It's not surprising Kurisu is possibly the biggest waifubait character ever when that's what the whole story is about.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 9, 2019

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

am I just a dumbass or something because i swear to god there was no way to back out of sending a message once you selected the keyword in the original

Just loaded up Steins;Gate to check; You select the keyword, then hit Reply, then you preview the message. One more confirm will send it, but you can back out from there, too. (big S;G protip: use Z and X to bring out/put away your phone, and X will cancel out of phone menus as well)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
god that was like literally my number one complaint about Steins Gate so if it was actually just a control thing (i played it on Vita) that'd be hilarious

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Playing Phoenix Wright on steam and it seems to be running and looking good. Does the game not come with an auto-read option?

edit: I take that back, I think it's running too fast?

edit 2: if you have a high refresh rate monitor, the game may run too fast for you. I fixed this by disabling the in game vsync which turned the fps from 144 to 60 and now things don't seem like they're being fast forwarded.

edit again: man, the music is good

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 9, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Ace Attorney is one of the best examples of good use of audio in gaming in my opinion, in addition to the music they use simple sound effects and even silence really well and at the right times. Outside of obvious stuff like rhythm games, it's one of the few examples where'd I say having sound on is crucial to the experience.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko thought, not really a spoiler but: maybe it'll have significance but I really like that the whole reason behind Kinzo's western obsession with giving his kids western-style names and having a western-style mansion is nakedly "the author loves golden-age mystery novels and golden-age mystery novels have to take place in an english-style country house"

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2019

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
As a side note if you like the Umineko locations you can check out photos of the real life inspirations once you finish the game, they’re pretty cool

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

god that was like literally my number one complaint about Steins Gate so if it was actually just a control thing (i played it on Vita) that'd be hilarious

I have been playing the fan translated PSP version and it’s a little janky in places but definitely the most annoying bit is not being able to cancel out after you click on a word. So your choices are made when you make the first click, not when you send the mail. There’s no way to back out.

I’ll just finish it on another platform, like next month or something, so it’s new again.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I've only played the PC version, so I guess that story holds together.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I played the PC version (JAST release) and I never knew there was a way to go back on a texting choice. It is not obvious at all. From what I could tell, there was no way to do it with the mouse. Why would I push some random keyboard key for that when I control the entire rest of the game with the mouse?

Is this maybe a difference between the JAST release and the Steam release? They use different engines.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

John Lee posted:

Did they seriously remove the ability to preview messages from Elite?

You can still preview them in Elite and then go back and select a different option if you don't like it, but they removed basically everything else about the cell phone mechanic from Elite. There's no choosing ringtones/wallpapers/etc, and you can't bring up the phone whenever you want. Whenever a message arrives, it just opens a menu for you to select your reply message (or ignore it and not reply at all).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko ch5 complete, and well, that was a ride

i actually do have a few questions in case the answers wouldn't spoil the rest of the game (ch5 spoilers) - That whole game was weird as hell but my takeaways were -

1) one of Knox's big hints in the rose garden conversation with her, Virgilia and Battler was that pieces can't act against their nature - which is a metafictional way of saying "the fictional characters in the games up to now have consistent characterizations"
2) with this being said, this does make me curious as to why the murder plot seems to have shifted towards a personal vengeance plot on Natshui, not to mention why the murders happened after someone found the gold
3) one thing I was confused of- Battler's explanation (it's entirely rational to construct a plot where Battler was the culprit in Game 5) seems to also deny the existence of Beatrice, so why does this "win"? is the argument that by constructing two rational, but inconsistent solutions, you implicitly allow for any number of other solutions including supernatural explanations?
4) i laughed my rear end off at the anime-rear end move of GOLD TRUTH. given that Battler got it after figuring all the mysteries, is that basically the concept of "canon"? meta is weird
5) the big implication is that Beatrice (and by extension, likely Kanon) is the Man From 19 Years Ago, i'm guessing. though i'm not sure how this relates to the similar, but different story of Rosa meeting Beatrice once.
6) it came up in Ch4, but there's a serious hint that Shannon and Kanon are both "aware" of the meta, which I think implies that they're fictional constructs in some way. (I think they even mention that they're both rarely alive after the first twilight, which I thought was an implication that if Shannon=Kanon=Beatrice=Culprit, it would be extremely convenient for one of them to "die" early for the purposes of murdering everyone) I'm wondering about some crazy rear end poo poo where Kanon and Shannon are actually representations of the same "real life" character, so I kind of watched out for it in Ch5, but there are a shitload of scenes where Kanon and Shannon clearly are both conversing with the other characters at the same time (with no indication that there's anything supernatural going on) so Shannon = Kanon can't really be true. which sucks because that would actually have a connection with Battler, given that Shannon had the hots for Battler even though she's getting courted by George. (though "Shannon had the hots for Battler but doesn't want to break it off with George so = Mass Murder is not a very good connection)
6a) Just thought of something - they made a big point over Battler not being the main character in this story (as opposed to Erika) meaning Erika has the objective POV, but Erika is definitely in the room with Kanon and Shannon as well so that doesn't work
7) kind of related to the above, but the "witches"/"furniture" stuff are the metaverse characters, and i'm taking that to mean that they're basically concepts, right? so Beatrice "dies" when she gets disproven as a concept, just like Sakutaro, a concept/fictional character/imaginary friend died when Maria believed he died (and came back when Ange showed her a brand new Sakutaro doll)
8) also related to the above - I'd have to go back to check but I'm *pretty* sure that Kinzo (who is, at this point dead and just exists as a "concept", aka a fictional character manifested by Krauss/Natshui/the servants) is also aware of the meta/prior games in some of the scenes where he's "supposed" to be there (as opposed to GOLDSMITH being in the tea room), but I'm not 100% sure of this

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 10, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All I will say is to be careful, the game as you imagine weaves in misdirection and rules lawyering at several junctures and EP5 is particularly nasty about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah everything about the episode 5 game is weird as poo poo

why is everyone acting so out-of-character after most of the cousins die? Virgilia/Knox explicitly say that pieces can't act out-of-character, so is the implication that the out-of-character behavior is actually "real" and *everyone* is in on the plot to get Natshui to spill the beans about the Man From 19 Years Ago? (the game definitely felt like one of those paranoia thrillers where everyone around the main character started acting like pod people)
then again, the Red Text confirms that the deaths are real, they just didn't happen when Erika thought they happened, so what the hell lol

at this point i'm more or less desperately thinking of a way to invalidate the 5th game because so many puzzles make sense if "kanon is shannon" is assumed - the disappearing/reappearing corpse in Game 2, and the closed room chain in Game 3 in particular become trivial

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 10, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
by the way (ch5, not related to the ongoing mystery i'm trying to solve)- after Natshui's confession, is the implication of Battler suddenly going into catchphrase mode (and Natshui reacting in fear) supposed to be a manifestation of what happened in the meta courtroom battle, aka the "board" is now reflecting the "truth" that Battler is the culprit?

e) the biggest plothole in the game so far: if the first two games are from the bottle messages, those must have been some big loving bottles to have all those character introductions in them. i'm now imagining the Beatrice stories never getting out because the fisherman got to the Shannon/George scene, went "tldr" and tossed the bottle back overboard

basically if you are stranded in a group on a desert island never let Ryukishi07 write your distress message

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 10, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Speaking of Umineko, pick it up right now for half off and have a good time debating witches or maybe, just maybe, debating them once again

https://www.gog.com/promo/20190410_midweek_sale?pp=4d89d294cd4ca9f2ca57dc24a53ffb3ef5303122

Also Higurashi, and also Fata Morgana are half off too.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Umineko ch5 complete, and well, that was a ride

i actually do have a few questions in case the answers wouldn't spoil the rest of the game (ch5 spoilers) -

I will answer the third question since I don't believe it would spoil anything for you going forward. I think at that point Battler's argument wasn't intended specifically to get Erika to accept witches but rather that he was simply arguing that it was possible for someone other than Natsuhi to be the culprit as his goal was to defend her at that point.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You're very patient about reasoning things out between chapters. I'm just lazy and figure anything I don't feel certain about will be resolved anyways eventually and my brain shuts down.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Playing Phoenix Wright really does feel like watching some long lost cartoon from my childhood. I mean that in a good way! I don't know how anyone could say the localization is bad.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You're doing a much better job of reading Umineko than most people (including myself when I first read it). I don't think it's really a spoiler to say that your approach of looking at motives is the correct one.

One thing that makes Umineko tricky to solve if you're reading it straight through (like you mentioned) is that to fully understand what's going on requires some evidence from the early episodes that is totally not going to stand out when you first read it (though saying which specific episodes are most useful is a bit too much this early, though I think it's fine to give that information once someone is done with episode 7). If people were discussing for a long time after each episode, they'd be more likely to study past episodes along the way.

I actually find that having read Higurashi first made it harder for me to solve Umineko, because Higurashi's core mystery was actually kind of contrived, so for a while I just assumed that my only partial understanding of Umineko was all there was to it.

Irritated Goat posted:

G-Senjou is usually priced decently high. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I accidentally spoiled the end for myself but it's OK as far as I've read.

G-Senjou is disappointing because it has a lot of potential but went in a directly I strongly disliked near the end. It also has a couple things that I'm pretty drat sure are plot holes or maliciously misleading*.

* specifically there are certain things that make literally no sense if the protagonist isn't Maou. One that comes to mind is the part in the first arc where, IIRC, the protagonist mentions feeling mysteriously proud after Haru fails to catch Maou. Also, while not technically impossible, it is misleading to the point of just being unfair to have the protagonist's memory lapses coincidentally coincide with Maou's actions. Perhaps more importantly, the reveal of him having a brother just isn't that interesting; it would have been far more interesting to explore the implications of him having a separate personality that does all this bad stuff. Being predictable isn't a problem, since in that situation it wouldn't be a twist for the reader; it would be more about finding out how the characters deal with what (to the reader) is obvious. I was really looking forward to seeing how the protagonist and Haru dealt with what (at the time) seemed like an inevitable reveal. Instead they just suddenly became in love and Haru became super lame.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 10, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, i think I mentioned it before but it absolutely seems like the ideal way to have experienced it would have been back on release when there were several months between episodes rather than binging it through and occasionally going back to check details.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There was something of a community feedback aspect to Umineko - eg the theories that Battler throws out could be based on popular forum speculation, and the stuff that Beatrice concedes could be due to everyone having already worked it out. Episode 3 was certainly changed because everyone was very confused after Turn. That said coming up with your own reading rather than being herded to a popular one has its own value.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, someone told me that the lengthy sequence in Banquet where Battler gets confused about the witch fight depiction even though there were anime sword fights in chapter 2 was more or less because too many people were confused about how to read the explicitly supernatural scenes

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

Speaking of Umineko, pick it up right now for half off and have a good time debating witches or maybe, just maybe, debating them once again

https://www.gog.com/promo/20190410_midweek_sale?pp=4d89d294cd4ca9f2ca57dc24a53ffb3ef5303122

Also Higurashi, and also Fata Morgana are half off too.

I have them but just making sure: These aren't the old non-fanpatchable versions are they? Which significantly reduces value as you can't add sprites, different (better?) backgrounds, lip synching and most importantly voice acting

I need to replay Umineko ch1-4 one day because I didn't realize VA patches existed.

Edit: Assuming they're the new versions since only 6 chapters are listed

Dessel fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 11, 2019

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
According to the patch wiki the voice/PS3 sprite patches should work with the GoG versions for both Umineko and Higurashi.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Umineko, Ch5 (and ch1) I went back to Chapter 1 to confirm a few things, and my favorite bit of foreshadowing (or almost anti-forshadowing) was how Krauss comes across as a sinister manipulator in the first family conference and after Chapter 5 you realize his story about having no cash on hand to pay out the family bribes isn't some kind of bluff, but it's because he really is an incompetent doofus who believes in moon tourism.

Also it's hilarious how obvious "Kinzo is dead" would have been if you knew the "don't believe anything the MC doesn't see without a grain of salt" trick off the bat

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 11, 2019

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Almost everything is really obvious in retrospect if you reread episode 1.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The way Krauss' character develops is one of my favorites. Chapter 5 was actually laugh out loud for me because his just being a dumbass explained so much.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hey so I guess 'our world is ended' is coming out in a week. What's the word on it? I've basically played all the other good VN games and I think I'm in the mood to play something easy and relaxing after getting through an intense game like Sekiro.

I'm hoping it's at least above average. I don't expect it to be on the level of steins gate but the premise looks as enjoyable as any of the dangan ronpa games.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I finished Umineko a few days ago. Impressions, and of course spoilers:

I feel this is one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had reading anything ever. I stopped for a good week after episode 6 because I felt like that closed room solution was about as big a hint as I was going to get and I spent a lot of time thinking and trying to work it out and rereading parts of earlier episodes. I had my theory but what finally confirmed it for me was when I was rereading the closed room chain in episode 3 and realized the adults convinced George not to see Shannon's body and it felt like everything was snapping into place.

More important to me is the overall emotional impact of Umineko. At the final decision I picked magic with no hesitation because the way I read the story made me feel it was the right one for me, and strangely it felt like I was a choice I was invested in. I've tried a few times to write out my thoughts about the emotional side of the work in general but I keep feeling unsatisfied with how I express it. It should suffice to say this is a story I will be thinking about for a long time.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask but has anyone here played Zanki Zero? Specifically the PC version but I don't mind hearing just any thoughts and opinions on the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh poo poo that's the danganronpa guy's new thing. I can buy it and get back to you if you want to wait that long.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Oh poo poo that's the danganronpa guy's new thing. I can buy it and get back to you if you want to wait that long.

Just so you know, if by danganronpa guy, you mean Kazutaka Kodaka, he has nothing to do with this game. As far as I know, the only danganronpa member that worked on this was the producer. Kodaka left Spike after V3 and made a new company with the 999 guy.

But sure, if you get it, I'd love to hear what you think of it, especially if you're getting the PC version. I've been hearing mixed reports about the port like controller functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oh never mind. I'll leave it to someone else then.